• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Marvie_3

Banned
He showed a lot of promise during this past training camp. I thought he looked a little more NHL-ready at the time than Kevin Hayes, actually. He ended up with 33 points in Hartford this season (15 G, 18 A...maybe a little lower than might have been expected).

Here he is from preseason clowning the Flyers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQFB1rUdx9Y

Hard to say how he's going to pan out, but he certainly has potential.
How do you clown that which is already clowns?

I love the game but will admit I'm ignorant on the business side of it.

What's the benefit of hitting the cap floor (beyond the obvious not having to pay people)? Why would the Coyotes want the Pronger contract? Are the Coyotes intentionally tanking and trading away anyone that's ever been good or are they getting any better with these trades? Why are the Coyotes talking as though they want to stay in Glendale when every action makes the common fan like me think that they just want to be as terrible as possible so they can leave?

I can't for the life of me understand what the hell is going on with this team.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I love the game but will admit I'm ignorant on the business side of it.

What's the benefit of hitting the cap floor (beyond the obvious not having to pay people)? Why would the Coyotes want the Pronger contract? Are the Coyotes intentionally tanking and trading away anyone that's ever been good or are they getting any better with these trades? Why are the Coyotes talking as though they want to stay in Glendale when every action makes the common fan like me think that they just want to be as terrible as possible so they can leave?

I can't for the life of me understand what the hell is going on with this team.

Teams are required to hit a bare minimum in player salary. That's the cap floor.

The Coyotes taking on Pronger's cap hit basically allows them to more easily get over that cap floor without actually having to pay out money to its players (Pronger's cap hit is vastly greater than what his actual salary is). Basically the Coyotes could get credit for paying millions more in salary than what they're actually paying out to players.

Even with Pronger's contract on board, the Coyotes are currently about $16 million under the cap floor (with a bunch of RFAs and UFAs unsigned).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Emerson Etem ‏@tweetem_up 1h 1 hour ago
I want to thank the @AnaheimDucks organization and the fans that really made me feel at home. With that said it feels great to be a Ranger!

Emerson Etem ‏@tweetem_up 50m 50 minutes ago
stoked, I really like that blue! @nyrangers https://instagram.com/p/4cff21w4eb/

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Looks like the Flyers might buy out Gagner's contract. If true, they'll have 1.3m in dead cap. That includes the 500k they retain from Grossmann's contract.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Looks like the Flyers might buy out Gagner's contract. If true, they'll have 1.3m in dead cap. That includes the 500k they retain from Grossmann's contract.

Actually it might be less because TB still would have to pay some of his remaining salary.

General Fanager ‏@generalfanager 10m10 minutes ago
So the buyout cap hits shown on our buyout calculator would actually be split as:
PHI: $422,222 and $555,555
TBL: $211,111 and $277,778

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
agkAKXl.png

Teams are required to hit a bare minimum in player salary. That's the cap floor.

The Coyotes taking on Pronger's cap hit basically allows them to more easily get over that cap floor without actually having to pay out money to its players (Pronger's cap hit is vastly greater than what his actual salary is). Basically the Coyotes could get credit for paying millions more in salary than what they're actually paying out to players.

Even with Pronger's contract on board, the Coyotes are currently about $16 million under the cap floor (with a bunch of RFAs and UFAs unsigned).

Thank you for that.

Well, give em points for accounting creativity. Shame about letting Doan fade away into retirement on what will be the worst team in the league.

Ugh. Obviously this team is not looking to growing the fanbase. Only a matter of time for the move isn't it.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty cool of the Isles to pick a Chinese player. It's time for another player from Asia that's not Korean to have his name on the cup.

There still need to be more Koreans in the NHL. Or play hockey in general.

Curufinwe

Hextall did it. He actually traded the Gross man. And made a fool of all the know-it-alls on HFB who insisted Arizona wouldn't want Pronger's contract. This is a glorious day.

Cake Boss

Banned
In the later rounds the only picks that I liked were Chlapik and Filp AHL.

Wtf at the Gagne trade.

Hopefully there is some untapped potential in there.

Yawnier

Banned
Good Newfie kid Nathan Noel went undrafted?

A sad day indeed.

I already said it but I'm surprised a team didn't even take a 7th round pick on him, with centering the 1st line on the sea dogs.

He has things to work on, but so do most late round picks.

I already said it but I'm surprised a team didn't even take a 7th round pick on him, with centering the 1st line on the sea dogs.

He has things to work on, but so do most late round picks.

Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg 4m4 minutes ago
As expected... multiple teams invited Nathan Noel to dev. camps including MTL, but he decided on Anaheim.

Hmm...severe thunderstorm warning + tornados spotted in towns nearby

I don't have a basement

yay

If I die just know I'm less than enthused about how long Dubnyk signed for.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hagelin on the Ducks:

On joining the Ducks
You’re not expecting to get traded, but if there was a team I could pick to get traded to, it would be the Anaheim Ducks. It’s a great organization and they have a great team. It’s a good place to be. I’m excited that Anaheim was the team that traded for me.

It’s always nice going to a team that has a lot of Swedes. I know Rickard Rakell and Jakob Silfverberg from before, and I know Hampus Lindholm is a promising player. I’m excited to get there and do my best.

On his contract status
I should be able to get something done pretty quickly with the Ducks. They traded for me, so they know what my needs are. I don’t think my agent and the Rangers really talked in terms of a contract extension. Maybe the Rangers saw others guys who signed, and what they signed for, and maybe they weren’t able to keep me. I’m hoping to get a deal done soon with Anaheim. I’m happy Anaheim traded for me.

On the difficulty of leaving the Rangers
It’s always hard. You have a lot of friends. So many best friends are playing on that team. They have a lot of promising players. They’re going to be close to making the Stanley Cup every year. I loved the organization. They treated me well since Day 1. That’s the first NHL organization I played for. It’s going to be hard to leave, but at the same time, you realize you’re not going to play for same team your entire career in the NHL. Being able to play for the Ducks is extremely cool. They have so many good players and they always have a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

On where he was when he was notified of the trade
I was shocked. I was actually taking a shower and was about to head to my good friend’s girlfriend’s 30th birthday. I had a couple guys over, talking about the year, and I got the phone call. I called my agent back. I got a lot of texts, but I didn’t know it was true. It’s a different feeling - one I’ve never been through before. But at the same time, if there was a team I would want to get traded to, it was the Ducks.

On where he sees himself fitting into the lineup
My first and second year in the NHL, I played a lot in the top-six and produced even though I didn’t have any power-play time. I have a pretty good offensive upside, but it’s not my job to decide if I’m playing on the first, second, third or fourth line. At the same time, I put up pretty good points for not playing on extremely offensive lines. I’m looking forward to the opportunity. Whatever chance I get with the Ducks, I’m ready for it. But at the same time, I’ve always been a player who puts the team first. Whether that’s blocking shots on the PK or putting up points offensively. I’m 26 years old, turning 27 soon, so I’m hoping this year or next year I’m a top-six forward again.

On the possibility of playing alongside Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler
Anaheim has an extremely good offensive core. They score a lot of goals and have some big players up front. With my speed, I could hopefully help out. I played with some pretty skilled players with the New York Rangers when I played with Brad Richards, Ryan Callahan and Marian Gaborik. I’m definitely ready for a challenge, whatever the challenge is. I’m going to work hard this summer. I haven’t spoken much to the management as far as what they want from me, but I always go in with the same mindset every year. I’m ready to do whatever it takes. I’m always trying to improve. That’s my mindset.

Zuccarello:
“I’m losing my best friend. It’s business but this is hard to swallow.”

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Best Buy had an amazing portable AC for 200.- off, 399 instead of 599.

I finally have air conditioning.

omg this feels amazing

next goal in life: cable

Top Bottom