• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Congrats Leafs, it's pretty much a certainty at this point that Rutherford panics and trades the farm for Kessel.

Pouliot + a few more pieces is something I can live with. If JR trades Maatta though, I quit Earth. The next few years will be spent drunkenly hate-watching the Pens while I wait for our Cup window to finally slam so resoundingly shut that even the front office is forced to admit defeat and enter the full-on rebuilding stage again.

yyzjohn

Banned
Congrats Leafs, it's pretty much a certainty at this point that Rutherford panics and trades the farm for Kessel.

Pouliot + a few more pieces is something I can live with. If JR trades Maatta though, I quit Earth. The next few years will be spent drunkenly hate-watching the Pens while I wait for our Cup window to finally slam so resoundingly shut that even the front office is forced to admit defeat and enter the full-on rebuilding stage again.

Certainty based on what? People were saying talks fell apart.

Quick

Banned
Oh man, you're telling me Californian Born And Raised Emerson Etem got traded to Presidents Trophy Winner and Metropolitan Division Champion New York Rangers?

I actually like Etem. Should be interesting to see how he works out on the Rangers roster.

yyzjohn

Banned
Don't know how anyone can predict whether a team "killed it" at any draft. Most guys after 1st round are projects that you usually don't see for years, many never make it. Will take 4-5 years before you see who did well in this draft.

Jblanks

I don't think it's a wise idea to draft defensive dman. The number of players who have scored less than .6 PPG in their draft year and end up making the NHL for example is very low. There are very obvious exceptions, but I would just rather spend the draft pick on an asset with higher upside...somebody who has demonstrated an ability to score for example like Timashov

True. We picked a lot of boom/bust players though, need a couple safer picks.

yyzjohn

Banned
There are alpha projection tools that look at a combination of height, age and PPG to estimate a player's chances of playing 200 games. While obviously very early (and ignoring important factors like what team a player played on), a team that accumulates many assets with a high chance of success constitutes a win in my opinion...even if they don't end up panning out. Statistically they will have success more often than not.

"Even if they don't pan out"? That makes no sense. I'd rather be the team that looks like they had a shit draft day but 6 years down the road fluked out on late round picks that nobody expected to bloom into NHLers

zroid

Banned
"Even if they don't pan out"? That makes no sense. I'd rather be the team that looks like they had a shit draft day but 6 years down the road fluked out on late round picks that nobody expected to bloom into NHLers

you're basically saying you want them to be more lucky than smart

which is great, but a good drafting process is being smart ;P hopefully they get lucky too

Uhhh Islanders just drafted someone from China??
0046c634afe64b63a654b9d85300bb6a.jpg

China's Song Andong is to make history by entering the 2015 NHL draft.

He would become the first ever Chinese player to be selected by NHL in its nearly one hundred years of history should he make it.

It's reported that the New York Islanders have shown great interest in him.

The 18-year-old once led Beijing team to victory in the Bell Capital Cup in 2006.

He also helped Beijing win The Chinese National Hockey League Championship this year.

And he played as captain of team China in this year's Ice Hockey U18 World Championship.

China Central Television will air live coverage of the NHL draft on June 27th at 10 p.m., Beijing time.

Posted about a week ago.

yyzjohn

Banned
you're basically saying you want them to be more lucky than smart

which is great, but a good drafting process is being smart ;P hopefully they get lucky too

Sure you want your scouting team to make the best probability of successful picks, but I'm saying you can't call any team a "winner" this weekend based on that alone. Too many factors involved, but I get what you and User are saying.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sure you want your scouting team to make the best probability of successful picks, but I'm saying you can't call any team a "winner" this weekend based on that alone. Too many factors involved, but I get what you and User are saying.

I rate this post as a loser.

We will reevaluate if I have to eat my words in a few years.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I remember a lot of people labelling Montreal a winner of the 2012 draft based on getting Galchenyuk, Collberg, and Thrower with their first three picks. Both Collberg and Thrower were pretty highly regarded on draft day, but are both busts.

Luckily they still have Hudon coming from that draft, but the rest of the picks turned out to be nothing. Bozon has a chance at AHL success, but that's about it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just woke up, HOW THE FUCK IS LACK WORTH SO MUCH LESS THAN LEHNER WTF ARE YOU DOING BENNING

nubcake

Neo Member
Bokondji Imama hellz yeah. First thing I found on him after a quick Google was 2 clips of him fighting giys bigger than him lol

Top Bottom