• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Surprised the Canadiens couldn't trade Parenteau for something. He's only got one year at $4M left.

It's making the rounds on Sabres Twitter. The funny thing is even the Buffalo media is saying they'd expect nothing less from this writer Kiszla. Not often you get media-on-media crime around here.

Kiszla is just an ass, he says things to get a rise out of people, the cheapest version of journalism.

If Buffalo is the Siberia of the NHL Kiszla and the DP are the North Korea of sports writing.

Pretty much, I loved Chambers saying the 21st pick must be included in the ROR trade, when it was traded for Lehner hours earlier. He thanked people for correcting him or "the nice corrections." It's only his job to know that stuff though.

XBeTRdo.gif

Fei

Can anyone with ESPN Insider post Pronman's draft grades?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insi...orey-pronman-grades-every-nhl-team-2015-draft

All I know from Twitter is the following:

Leafs: A
Oilers: A
Flyers: A-
Sens: B+
Wild: B-
Capitals: C
Habs: C
Blackhawks: C-

EDIT: And the Leafs writeup too please

Oilers A
Buffalo A-
Arizona A-
Toronto A
Carolina A-
New Jersey B
Philly A-
Columbus B+
San Jose B-
Colorado B
Florida B
Dallas C
Boston B+
Islanders A-
Winnipeg B+
Ottawa B+
Detroit C+
Minnesota B-
Washington C
Vancouver B-
Montreal C-
Anaheim C+
Chicago C-
Los Angeles B
Rangers B
Tampa B
St Louis C
Pitt C+
Calgary B
Nashville B-

And here's Toronto's write up:

Organizational assessment: Toronto got a ton of skill at this year's draft, and while the Travis Dermott pick was slightly high for me, overall the talent infusion from Mitch Marner, Jeremy Bracco, Dermott and several other picks change the complexion of this system. Adding this group of highly skilled forwards to William Nylander, Brendan Leipsic and Connor Brown gives the Leafs one of the best groups of forward prospects in the league.

Top pick: Marner's speed, acceleration and edge control are all high-end, and because of that, you rarely saw an OHL defenseman land a clean check on Marner. His puck skills are elite, and he can make great in-tight plays to evade pressure, dekes in full stride to get around a defender or puck plays off the half-boards that create offense in bunches.

Marner is also an incredible passer, making quick reads with the ability to stretch the ice or move it across laterally through traffic with consistency. While small, his defensive game is solid and improved quite notably over the course of the OHL season to where he became one of London's better penalty killers.

Marner joins a gifted group of forward prospects, providing the organization a huge boost of skill, speed and hockey intellect. The organization now has two foundational scorers in Marner and Nylander to start this rebuild to add to a young player like Morgan Rielly. They still need more, though, and this is the beginning of a lengthy building process. Marner likely needs another year in Junior but could make things interesting in camp next year.

Day 2 picks: Dermott is a two-way defenseman but his value is tiled more toward offense. He rarely forces plays and makes good outlets under pressure. He's slightly undersized, but Dermott does battle hard for pucks and shows fine defensive IQ.

Bracco is an exciting -- albeit very small -- winger who can take over a game. He's a high-end skate, very coordinated and draws your attention with the way he creates offense out of nothing. Scouts refer to him as an "assist machine" due to his talent level and his very creative playmaking style. Bracco is quite solid defensively and in my viewings has been effective killing penalties and as a short-handed scoring threat. His 5-foot-9 frame is an obvious drawback, especially since he's not an overly abrasive type of player.

Nielsen is a big defenseman who defends well, and while he's not a standout offensively, he shows spurts of creativity. His puck skills are lackluster and limit him, though, even if he skates well for a big man.

I didn't rank Dzierkals too high, but that was in part due to lack of viewings. He showed above-average speed and skill at the Under-18s.

Lindgren is a dynamic offensive defenseman. He skates well, and is a great power play quarterback. His decision making can be a little hit-and-miss with the puck, though, and he needs a lot of work defensively.

Timashov is a very good skater with explosive acceleration and speed, and combined with his puck-handling skills, this makes him very threatening off the rush. He can force plays at times; overall he makes a lot happen. He's another undersized guy, with the requisite issues in one-on-one battles and in the defensive zone.

Desrocher was good this season, but he was an overage player. He's big with fine touch for a larger defender.

Korostelev is a pretty good physical forward with a filled-out frame but can play a perimeter game, as well, due to his impressive hands and vision. He also has a high-end shot, as his one-timers generate a ton of velocity. His skating is a bit of a knock, as he lacks a separation gear coming down the wing.

Fei

Thanks!

Calgary getting a B is puzzling. Especially considering how much Pronman liked Andersson and Kylington. Some questionable high(ish) marks as well. I didnt think the Rangers drafted very well for example

Here's his Calgary write up.

Organizational assessment: Calgary didn't have a ton of picks, but it used the ones they have well, getting a top-20 talent in my eyes in Oliver Kylington and a top-30 in Rasmus Andersson. The Flames took a couple other forwards with talent who are long-term prospects, with the bulk of their draft being the talent in defense they added to their system, never mind the acquisition of Dougie Hamilton.

Day 2 picks: Andersson is a dynamic offensive talent with great puck skills, especially for a player with a pro-sized frame. He has an aggressive, attacking style of play and loves to have the puck on his stick. The red flags are his lackluster defensive play in terms of his off-puck reads, up-and-down effort levels, being too aggressive offensively and his habit of getting beat with speed at times. His weight is also an issue.

Kylington's season was a little bumpy due to reassignments and injury, but he played at a high level in tough, pro leagues. He's a brilliant skater who gains speed easily and has the four-way movements to stay with quick forwards. Kylington is a very skilled puck-handler who makes a lot of creative plays and controls the puck in tight spaces as well as the best forwards in this class. He stretches the ice well and can control a power play very effectively. He has his warts, however, as he isn't the best in the physical aspects of the game in terms of effort or his frame, and his shot could be better. His defense can use some work, too.

Karnaukhov has an above-average, if not better, skill level with the puck and shows he can create offense with space. His physical game isn't the best, though, and scouts describe him more of a perimeter player.

Mangiapane's skating is excellent in all regards. His skill level isn't as high-end, but he makes a lot of plays. His defense isn't superb, but he's shown he can be an asset on the penalty kill. His physical game is the big question mark given his small frame.

Bruce is big at 6-6, but there's not much else to his game in terms of value at either end of the rink right now.

zroid

Banned
I would laugh when Beleskey (rightly) doesn't get offered more than 4x4 in free agency, but of course some GM will come along and throw money at him

Calamari41

41 > 38
The Ducks getting a C+ is fair. No front page level positive moves, but no mind boggling fleecings either. We're more set up to make those big moves over the summer if The Murray deems it necessary.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Of all the sports you shouldn't do an immediate post-draft grade, the NHL is at the top of the list. This couldn't be more pointless.

zroid

Banned
Of all the sports you shouldn't do an immediate post-draft grade, the NHL is at the top of the list. This couldn't be more pointless.

Really he's just grading based on how it compares to his personal rankings. He's a good scout but yeah obviously you don't know how these picks will pan out.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Surprised at the PAP buyout, but I'm okay with it if it means that Bergevin is bringing in a legit top 6 RW. PAP doesn't really fit into the bottom 6 so there isn't much space for him on the team. Like others, I'm surprised he couldn't be moved for a late pick, but I guess it shows what his value is across the league right now. Seems like I saw his last goal as a Hab in person, it was a good one :(

This Dougie Hamilton character assassination that's been floating around since this morning is pretty pathetic. Bruins organization is embarrassing.
Seriously. Boston is quickly establishing themselves as the saddest organization in the league, it's pretty pathetic watching them go after him like this.

Surprised at the PAP buyout, but I'm okay with it if it means that Bergevin is bringing in a legit top 6 RW. PAP doesn't really fit into the bottom 6 so there isn't much space for him on the team. Like others, I'm surprised he couldn't be moved for a late pick, but I guess it shows what his value is across the league right now. Seems like I saw his last goal as a Hab in person, it was a good one :(

Yup. He was good Player. I hope some other team uses him well.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Does any other fan base freak out as much over any move as much as the Habs one? Maybe the Leafs if they were relevant, but watching the freak outs is hilarious. They're acting like Bergevin just bought out Gretzky. This happens the day after he said he's comfortable with doing nothing next season too, like I said he never tips his hand.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Sather will try to snag Parenteau on the cheap. Feels like every year the Rangers have been mentioned as a possible trade destination for him.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oilers A
Buffalo A-
Arizona A-
Toronto A
Carolina A-
New Jersey B
Philly A-
Columbus B+
San Jose B-
Colorado B
Florida B
Dallas C
Boston B+
Islanders A-
Winnipeg B+
Ottawa B+
Detroit C+
Minnesota B-
Washington C
Vancouver B-
Montreal C-
Anaheim C+
Chicago C-
Los Angeles B
Rangers B
Tampa B
St Louis C
Pitt C+
Calgary B
Nashville B-

And here's Toronto's write up:

Organizational assessment: Toronto got a ton of skill at this year's draft, and while the Travis Dermott pick was slightly high for me, overall the talent infusion from Mitch Marner, Jeremy Bracco, Dermott and several other picks change the complexion of this system. Adding this group of highly skilled forwards to William Nylander, Brendan Leipsic and Connor Brown gives the Leafs one of the best groups of forward prospects in the league.

Top pick: Marner's speed, acceleration and edge control are all high-end, and because of that, you rarely saw an OHL defenseman land a clean check on Marner. His puck skills are elite, and he can make great in-tight plays to evade pressure, dekes in full stride to get around a defender or puck plays off the half-boards that create offense in bunches.

Marner is also an incredible passer, making quick reads with the ability to stretch the ice or move it across laterally through traffic with consistency. While small, his defensive game is solid and improved quite notably over the course of the OHL season to where he became one of London's better penalty killers.

Marner joins a gifted group of forward prospects, providing the organization a huge boost of skill, speed and hockey intellect. The organization now has two foundational scorers in Marner and Nylander to start this rebuild to add to a young player like Morgan Rielly. They still need more, though, and this is the beginning of a lengthy building process. Marner likely needs another year in Junior but could make things interesting in camp next year.

Day 2 picks: Dermott is a two-way defenseman but his value is tiled more toward offense. He rarely forces plays and makes good outlets under pressure. He's slightly undersized, but Dermott does battle hard for pucks and shows fine defensive IQ.

Bracco is an exciting -- albeit very small -- winger who can take over a game. He's a high-end skate, very coordinated and draws your attention with the way he creates offense out of nothing. Scouts refer to him as an "assist machine" due to his talent level and his very creative playmaking style. Bracco is quite solid defensively and in my viewings has been effective killing penalties and as a short-handed scoring threat. His 5-foot-9 frame is an obvious drawback, especially since he's not an overly abrasive type of player.

Nielsen is a big defenseman who defends well, and while he's not a standout offensively, he shows spurts of creativity. His puck skills are lackluster and limit him, though, even if he skates well for a big man.

I didn't rank Dzierkals too high, but that was in part due to lack of viewings. He showed above-average speed and skill at the Under-18s.

Lindgren is a dynamic offensive defenseman. He skates well, and is a great power play quarterback. His decision making can be a little hit-and-miss with the puck, though, and he needs a lot of work defensively.

Timashov is a very good skater with explosive acceleration and speed, and combined with his puck-handling skills, this makes him very threatening off the rush. He can force plays at times; overall he makes a lot happen. He's another undersized guy, with the requisite issues in one-on-one battles and in the defensive zone.

Desrocher was good this season, but he was an overage player. He's big with fine touch for a larger defender.

Korostelev is a pretty good physical forward with a filled-out frame but can play a perimeter game, as well, due to his impressive hands and vision. He also has a high-end shot, as his one-timers generate a ton of velocity. His skating is a bit of a knock, as he lacks a separation gear coming down the wing.
Thanks, Fei!

Oilers with an A as well?!?! Habs and Hawks had one of the worst drafts? Hmmm...I dunno. They both are known for finding hidden gems along with Ottawa.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Does any other fan base freak out as much over any move as much as the Habs one? Maybe the Leafs if they were relevant, but watching the freak outs is hilarious. They're acting like Bergevin just bought out Gretzky. This happens the day after he said he's comfortable with doing nothing next season too, like I said he never tips his hand.

Nice try broham. The Leafs are always relevant.

Sounds like Holland is going to sit on his hands during FA and probably even with trades now. Let our log jam continue. Going to be another boring and unsuccessful year.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Holland is going to sit on his hands during FA and probably even with trades now. Let our log jam continue. Going to be another boring and unsuccessful year.
Cleary will lead the way again! He gave up money to stay with the Wings! :<
We should offer sheet Hamilton. Eat my ass Calgary.
Lol. You guys shouldn't have matched that sheet for ROR back then. 3 nice picks and he may have had to go through waivers as well.

I was hoping Mike Richards would be kept forever by the Kings. Oh well they're on the hook for 14.67 million over the next ten years. Living life like a Bryzgalov.

Feel bad for Mark Fistric who was a decent defenseman for the Ducks but has chronic back issues.

Top Bottom