• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Custance ESPN Insider article about the Sharks looking at goalies:

I just love how the Lack deal is described as "reasonable" for the Canes.

Considering what Talbot got (not much more than Lack) I'd say it was reasonable. Lack is good but not elite, and I guess Carolina lost faith in Khudobin. Would be interesting to see what they do once Ward's contract is up since I don't think Lack can be a true No.1. I suppose they have some goalie prospects in their pipeline.

Wow at that Niemi contract. Kind of reasonable since he'll be 34 when the contract is up, but what about Lehtonen? Really expensive 1A/1B situation.

Yeah it seems kinda wrong of them to go through all these motions like trade talks and waivers, things that would have landed him on other teams in theory, if he was in violation of his contract in some way.

zroid

Banned
between this and glendale situation...

tumblr_noys8mkgT11s0my1wo1_250.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
Chris JohnstonVerified account
‏@reporterchris
The Mike Richards contract is officially off #LAKings cap right now and he's free to sign elsewhere.

lol this league makes no sense.

Making it up as they go.

Quick

Banned
What in the fuck with Richards' contract being terminated.

Someone run this down for me. They were trying to trade him, now he's off the books all of a sudden.

TUSR

Banned
What in the fuck with Richards' contract being terminated.

Someone run this down for me. They were trying to trade him, now he's off the books all of a sudden.

You can do a one sided contract termination under certain conditions, he breached a term in his contract.

I believe you can appeal the termination, but depending on the issue he might not be able to.

Quick

Banned
You can do a one sided contract termination under certain conditions, he breached a term in his contract.

I believe you can appeal the termination, but depending on the issue he might not be able to.

Well, I figured that part. I just meant, what new situation suddenly happened that allowed the Kings to terminate his contract.

I can maybe see Richards signing an amendment to his contract (if this is even a thing in the NHL) that requires him to meet certain conditions to keep his deal that he clearly didn't end up keeping up with.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it seems kinda wrong of them to go through all these motions like trade talks and waivers, things that would have landed him on other teams in theory, if he was in violation of his contract in some way.

Seems real scumbaggy to me.

How very Kings like.

Curious what they allege he did.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yeah i'm not sure the kings will be in the right on this... when they thought it was a smart idea to let voynov practice

calder

From @FriedgeHNIC

CIsIF80UAAAYcWh.png:large

So it's clearly (a) and not (b) as he hasn't failed to report. I think we can all agree that it would be tough to be *so* out of shape as to constitute a "material breach" of the contract so it must presumably be the "conduct" part, which could easily be other off ice issues that impact his performance.

EDIT: also, hehehe

CIsKfJkXAAE0nVQ.png:large

So yeah, as of right now the Kings are free of his contract entirely and Richards is a UFA. But he's a UFA that just got fucked out of his remaining contract. That grievance is going to take a while to sort out.

EDIT 2:

@FriedgeHNIC
Forget the Paragraph 14 stuff of the SPC I tweeted earlier. May not be relevant here. Complex process.

Yeah i'm not sure the kings will be in the right on this... when they thought it was a smart idea to let voynov practice

I would say, if the worst thing that will happen is Richards' contract and cap hit going back on their books, it's an acceptable risk for the Kings to take.

calder

Does Bettman have the power to overrule this? There's no way he can allow this without a detailed explanation, right?

The Commish is in fact the one and only arbitrator of disputes in regards to terminating contracts. So he's going to have to rule on it.

You'd think the Kings attempts to trade him up to a couple of days ago is going to really hurt their argument. I guess we'll have to see what their rationale is and how convincing it is, assuming Richards fights their attempt. And for 22 million dollars who wouldn't lawyer up? He's not going to make a fraction of that on his next contract.

The fact that literally every single article about this story mentions the Kings perhaps doing it for cap relief isn't going to help their case either. ;)

Samyy

I remember people mention cocaine usage is actually a serious issue within the NHL, not just with LA but fairly widespread.
So why did the Kings not do this with Voynov???

Does beating your wife not fall under bad conduct?

calder

I remember people mention cocaine usage is actually a serious issue within the NHL, not just with LA but fairly widespread.

The Jets should look into Richards as a cheap pickup, we're too far behind the times to have cocaine here. It's all solvents and alcohol.

Although he'd be close to his home in Kenora, and presumably he has a hookup there...

Curufinwe

No, they were happy he was working on his upper body strength, unlike Richards.

I'm sure anything that doesn't effect the player's performance gets overlooked all the time.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Terminating a contract is a pretty big deal. They must have strong evidence against Richards to take a step like this.

Why didn't they just leave him in the AHL like the Rangers did with their bad contracts? It doesn't seem like the Kings are hurting for cash.

Terminating a contract is a pretty big deal. They must have strong evidence against Richards to take a step like this.

Why didn't they just leave him in the AHL like the Rangers did with their bad contracts? It doesn't seem like the Kings are hurting for cash.

Aren't they hurting on the cap?

Curufinwe

They would only get them $925K in cap space. They changed the rules after the Rangers stashed Redden's contract in the AHL.

League was informed and I guess evidence was good enough to be approved. Otherwise it wouldn't be announced.

NHLPA gonna have a say though.

Richards already removed from Kings roster on nhl.com

Top Bottom