• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Marvie_3

Banned
If Bergevin goes out and gets a legit top 6 guy to replace PAP, I won't have an issue with the buyout. If he goes and gives some meat head like Belesky a huge contract, I'll be pissed. Time to wait and see what happens. I think he'll fill the need through trade.
He'll get both Sharp and Bickell so you can love the trade and be pissed at the same time!

gaming_noob

Am I late? Andy Stickland on twitter says Leafs willing to retain 2M per year on Kessel contract.. Kessel at 6M is a steal. Better get a killing of a return. Leafs will have cap issues when they're ready to compete in a few years lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TintedFlawlessGoa.gif

Agreed. No reason he shouldn't be in.

zroid

Banned
Am I late? Andy Stickland on twitter says Leafs willing to retain 2M per year on Kessel contract.. Kessel at 6M is a steal. Better get a killing of a return. Leafs will have cap issues when they're ready to compete in a few years lol

I just saw that. Don't know if it's believable since all the messaging till now has been they won't retain. The team which they were in the discussions with must have dangled something really appealing -- at least I hope.

Let me put it this way, if they're going to retain anything, they might as well retain a significant amount. Because retaining $500k or so for 7 years will do more damage in terms of wasting 1/3 retention slots for 7 years than the cap hit itself. So take back more money and ensure they are getting something fucking great in return.

Cake Boss

Banned
Well Then.

Twitter advance stats turds are gonna cry like little bitches when he doesn't resign.

I like Condra, he's a very smart player but I would rather have Puempel or Prince in that 3rd line to bring more offense than 20 points a season.

With the way our turd GM is talking, most likely they just bring up Greening.

gaming_noob

I just saw that. Don't know if it's believable since all the messaging till now has been they won't retain. The team which they were in the discussions with must have dangled something really appealing -- at least I hope.

Let me put it this way, if they're going to retain anything, they might as well retain a significant amount. Because retaining $500k or so for 7 years will do more damage in terms of wasting 1/3 retention slots for 7 years than the cap hit itself. So take back more money and ensure they are getting something fucking great in return.

Good point about the retention slots. I didn't know that.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
NHL Expansion: Houston Ready For Professional Hockey
:lol :lol :lol

Main reasons given by the author:

Les Alexander has been burnt pretty bad by the NHL in the past (his failed attempt to acquire and relocate the Oilers), and there has been no movement since then.

Houston is a big market, but good luck getting him interested again after that fiasco.

Austin or even San Antonio has a better shot than Houston these days.

calder

Sorry for DP. But

:D
:D

I think we found our PAP Replacement

Frolik is awesome, I'm going to be sad when/if we lose him. But damn, somebody is going to have to overpay to get him... he's a perfect player at 3-4 million for a couple of years but I think he'll get 5 or so for an extra year.

Still, rather resign Fefe and overpay by 30% than let him go and get Stafford instead. Although, if Burmi comes back that really replaces Frolik very well.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Buying out PAP to sign Frolik is a sideways move. We need a bonafide top 6 guy, not a tweener, he would be a good depth signing but we need a 30 goals kind of guy.

Pikma

Banned
Les Alexander has been burnt pretty bad by the NHL in the past (his failed attempt to acquire and relocate the Oilers), and there has been no movement since then.

Houston is a big market, but good luck getting him interested again after that fiasco.

Austin or even San Antonio has a better shot than Houston these days.
Yeah, I'd love to see Houston in the NHL but that's exactly where the idea ends, there's no one willing to eat such a risk.

calder

NHL Expansion: Houston Ready For Professional Hockey
:lol :lol :lol

Main reasons given by the author:

Huh, that article kinda sold me a bit? Mainly, if there's a billionaire there who likes sports and wants to fill some dates in a modern arena I think it could work. I just like the idea of more teams in the west honestly. When the Coyotes move that could work well as a destination, then Quebec City and Vegas get the expansion teams.

I really don't see Seattle as a viable option until the arena is built and that's probably not happening until they get a solid "maybe" on an NBA team which isn't happening until they get a new arena etc etc. And honestly even with a new rink I don't think Seattle is that great a market.

EDIT: one funny thing about that article is how Denver is a southern NHL city for the purposes of fudging some math.

Pikma

Banned
"Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder and now, well, he's Jamie Benn! I'm hoping to follow in his footsteps."

Holy shit, I missed this quote.

I'll take Joseph Cecconi under my wing now, nobody dare to touch him.

I need more hockey to get over this breakup.

I wonder who the Canucks will get on July 1st. All the available options are too expensive or too old. They'll probably target a veteran depth forward and a depth defenceman.

Yawnier

Banned
Frolik has got to be one of the best UFA forwards out there

Which probably might not say much, considering how weak this UFA crop of forwards is this year.

someone take bozo and lupul please

calder

Custance ESPN Insider article about the Sharks looking at goalies:

From just about the moment the San Jose Sharks' regular season ended, GM Doug Wilson has been open about his plans to up the aggression in getting the Sharks back into serious playoff contention.

Just like he telegraphed his plan to move veterans for draft picks, he’s made it clear that he has assets opposing teams want in terms of draft picks and prospects, along with cap space to capitalize on those who don’t have it.

It’s a combination that makes the Sharks a team to keep an eye on this offseason, but during the draft weekend it was his Pacific Division counterparts who struck first.

The Calgary Flames made the early splash with the addition of Dougie Hamilton, giving them the best defense in the division. The Kings made their splash by adding Milan Lucic, the most prototypical King forward not already playing for Los Angeles.

The Anaheim Ducks went out and solidified their goaltending with Anton Khudobin, and then added the speedy Carl Hagelin in a deal with the New York Rangers. Edmonton added hockey's best prospect since Sidney Crosby, and addressed their goaltending with the addition of Cam Talbot.

When the dust settled, Wilson and the Sharks were still waiting to make their move, but to re-purpose a phrase Flames GM Brad Treliving likes to use for the draft, the offseason is measured with a calendar, not a stopwatch.

“Last time I checked, it’s still June,” Wilson said after the draft wrapped up. “We haven’t even started playing games yet.”

Further, we haven’t even hit the start of free agency. The Sharks' focus is adding a veteran presence to their defense. The bigger priority is to bring in a No. 1 goalie to pair of with Alex Stalock, who didn’t get as many starts last season as Wilson would have liked.

It looks like Dallas has found its goalie to pair with Kari Lehtonen in Antti Niemi, Edmonton and Anaheim got theirs and Buffalo’s Tim Murray paid a premium to grab Robin Lehner from Ottawa. The best goalie trade might have been Carolina’s reasonable deal to grab Eddie Lack. The best free agent goalie available, Devan Dubnyk, was locked up long-term in Minnesota.

If Wilson was concerned about the run of goalies, he hid it well. He still believes there are more goalies available than there are teams that need to add a goalie. He hinted that there are goalies who could shake loose that haven’t been a regular part of the public discussion.

“There are more people that are available or could be available in discussions than probably you guys hear about,” Wilson said. “There are teams looking to do things, whether it be for cap things or whatever, and we’re in those conversations.”

Wilson declined to name names, but if you go to the top of the list of teams dealing with salary cap issues, it raises some interesting options and fun speculation:

The Bruins acquired goalie Martin Jones and may be embarking on a rebuild -- would they be willing to move Tuukka Rask?

The Blackhawks just won another Stanley Cup with Corey Crawford but his $6 million cap hit sure makes things tight.

The Jets Ondrej Pavelec ended his season by single handedly getting his team to the playoffs, with a 188:48 minute shutout streak and 4-0-1 record down the stretch against top competition. Any team would be lucky to have him frankly.

Jimmy Howard lost his starting job in the playoffs to Petr Mrazek and now Mrazek’s former coach is behind the bench in Detroit, perhaps Wilson could pry Howard away from Detroit.

Brian Elliott seems to have been passed by Jake Allen in St. Louis and has an attractive .923 save percentage since joining the Blues.

Or maybe Ben Scrivens is the next Devan Dubnyk, a talented goalie who just needs to get out of Edmonton.

It’s fun to consider, and it makes the Sharks a fascinating team to watch because they can afford to take on money if they want to, they just need to find the guy who is worth it.

I just love how the Lack deal is described as "reasonable" for the Canes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So supposedly Florida's package that they were offering for Cam Talbot was Jimmy Hayes, 2 third round picks, and a 5th round pick.

calder

So supposedly Florida's package that they were offering for Cam Talbot was Jimmy Hayes, 2 third round picks, and a 5th round pick.

Oh, this reminds me to go back and find the timelines for those crazy Ranger fans/media who thought they were getting first round picks for Talbot.

Top Bottom