• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

no way... NO WAY... lmao

138765447599.gif

LOLLOLOLOL

LOL ACID

LOL SHARKS

LOL

calder

Ok come on, let's relax for a second - is there a chance we're being premature in assuming Randy would be a disaster on the Sharks? Maybe he would have success in San Jose too?

Acid, does your team have at least 5 first or second team all-stars on it, and, more importantly, do you have 3 of the absolute best dmen in the league playing at their HHOF-caliber prime right now? If so, then it could all work out fine!

EDIT:
CDXswhAWAAEKovz.jpg:large

I love how everyone uses this photo as the default Carlyle image. Befuddled old man struggles with toaster oven.

Parch

I dunno who to blame though, as I think the issues are more to do with Katz who is the one calling the big movements. I don't think Katz will allow Yakupov or RNH to be traded, which hamstrings any GM.
It's just speculation how much Katz is involved. The guy is invisible and doesn't talk to the media. So since he doesn't confirm or deny anything, the media makes up whatever bullshit they want.

Katz doesn't care much what the media or fans seem to think. Despite the fan outrage and the "Fire Lowe" billboards, he's stuck with that management team much too long.

I would guess that he's not going to just let new management do whatever they want. He stuck with Lowe and Mac because he at least partially believes in what they've tried to accomplish. In other words, don't expect all the young guns to be traded. Maybe there will be one moved for one key piece, but don't hold your breath.

Stay the course hasn't just been Mac's plan, it's Katz's too.

Acid08

Banned
Ok come on, let's relax for a second - is there a chance we're being premature in assuming Randy would be a disaster on the Sharks? Maybe he would have success in San Jose too?

Acid, does your team have at least 5 first or second team all-stars on it, and, more importantly, do you have 3 of the absolute best dmen in the league playing at their HHOF-caliber prime right now? If so, then it could all work out fine!

enhanced-buzz-20778-1382383391-23.jpg

Wait but look look listen to this. Last time these teams had a coach go between them it was Ron Wilson, a disaster for the Leafs. Maybe reverse mojo means that if we get a coach from the Leafs that it'll be a HUGE SUCCESS. COME ON DOWN RANDY!!!!!

zroid

Banned
This thing from FTF is painful (albeit slightly cathartic) to read, but the idea that we might actually get a compensatory draft pick out of Carlyle makes me chuckle

Yes, Carlyle has won a Stanley Cup. A potato could have won the Cup coaching a team for which either Scott Niedermayer or Chris Pronger was on the ice at any given time

Following the Cup win, the Ducks were one of the worst puck possession teams in the league through the end of Carlyle's tenure in Anaheim, despite a roster not too dissimilar from the one Bruce Boudreau subsequently guided to three straight division titles. That trend continued in even worse fashion when Carlyle was hired by the Leafs, with every single key member of the team experiencing a massive drop-off in underlying numbers with Carlyle behind the bench compared to his predecessor Ron Wilson.

Carlyle perpetually saddled the team's best player in Phil Kessel with Tyler Bozak, one of the league's worst defensive centers, in the face of superior options like Mikhail Grabovski and Nazem Kadri. He underutilized and misused the talented Grabovski to such an extent that the team used a compliance buyout on the top-six forward in order to sign David Clarkson, purportedly more of a "Carlyle player," to one of the most disastrous contracts in league history. In his one playoff appearance with the Leafs, Carlyle scratched excellent two-way winger Clarke MacArthur for goon Colton Orr and used both Orr and fellow goon Frazer McLaren, picked up by the Leafs on waivers from the Sharks, in the lineup at the same time. He also scratched talented young defenseman Jake Gardiner for now-out-of-the-league Ryan O'Byrne during that playoff run and did so numerous times in favor of other, equally poor options during the 2013 regular season.

Under Carlyle, the Leafs literally set records for defensive futility. He routinely coached his defensemen to passively cede the blueline at even-strength, was clueless on how to execute an effective breakout with control of the puck and employed a comical positioning scheme in the defensive zone. For a GM who publicly stated just four days ago that he's looking to build a puck possession team, Wilson even giving Carlyle an interview for the head coaching job just doesn't make sense.

Yawnier

Banned
SOO beat Erie 6-3, McDavid had the 3 goals :lol

I thought the TSN recap of this game was funny. They focused so much on McDavid's goals but barely made a note of who scored and played well for SOO and then showed some interview with MacT from a week ago talking about McD and Nurse.

This has been the best week of my life as an Oilers fan.

Better than the 05-06 cup run.

I know Oilers fans are hungry for change, but this? I can't stand the way Chiarelli built the Bruins and how easily he gives up on young talent. I'd be worried as hell if I were an Oilers fan. Unless he can find some way to weasel Chara and Rask out of Boston while keeping Edmonton's core intact, I see scorched earth.

Sheroking

I know Oilers fans are hungry for change, but this? I can't stand the way Chiarelli built the Bruins and how easily he gives up on young talent. I'd be worried as hell if I were an Oilers fan. Unless he can find some way to weasel Chara and Rask out of Boston while keeping Edmonton's core intact, I see scorched earth.

What young talent, besides Tyler Seguin, did he give up on? Cam Neely had a big say in that one as well.

It's not as though the Oilers players have the same issues Seguin does/did. They're a pretty good group of kids.

Razorskin

----- ------

I don't agree with that, Seguin is one thing, but Bruins have developed a bunch of young talent in their system. They draft well.

Sheroking

I don't agree with that, Seguin is one thing, but Bruins have developed a bunch of young talent in their system. They draft well.

From what I can tell, the Bruins under Chiarelli were extremely poor after the first round. They have that in common with Edmonton, although since the overhaul a couple years ago, MacGregor's staff has been better.

He seems fairly adept at pro scouting other leagues. Soderberg and Krug were good pulls.

Jinaar

Today in Edmonton feels like the start of Obama's 2008 CHANGE campaign. Something we can believe in? F' it, I'm on board this hype train of change.

yyzjohn

Banned
From what I can tell, the Bruins under Chiarelli were extremely poor after the first round. They have that in common with Edmonton, although since the overhaul a couple years ago, MacGregor's staff has been better.

He seems fairly adept at pro scouting other leagues. Soderberg and Krug were good pulls.

Scouting is all about your scouting staff, not like Chiarelli would have been actively out and looking at prospects. Outside of the first round you have to trust what your scouts are telling you about prospects.

I would think Chiarelli's arrival means the Oilers are going for it sooner than later. Isn't his reputation (prior to the Seguin deal) that of a shrewd fleece-artist?

His draft record, apart from selecting the BPA with the Leafs' picks, doesn't seem that special.

Sheroking

Scouting is all about your scouting staff, not like Chiarelli would have been actively out and looking at prospects. Outside of the first round you have to trust what your scouts are telling you about prospects.

Sure.

He was there nine years, though, and part of a GM's job is to hire the right people in scouting. I also don't like that his brother was a scout, but in Edmonton, us fans are sensitive to nepotism.

yyzjohn

Banned
Sure.

He was there nine years, though, and part of a GM's job is to hire the right people in scouting. I also don't like that his brother was a scout, but in Edmonton, us fans are sensitive to nepotism.

That's a good point, but he guided the Bruins to the ultimate achievement a GM can do with their Cup. As a Leafs fan looking in I'll take that any day even if he leaves us with a shit prospect pool at the end of the day.

Top Bottom