• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Socreges

Banned
qrXNXYo.jpg
I don't understand. This is from August 2013?

zroid

Banned
Former enforcer wrote an article for the globe about health issues he's faced post-retirement: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...uffering-has-only-just-begun/article24120626/

pretty brutal stuff

In December, 1994, I suffered a major concussion thanks to a bare-knuckled fist to the head. I was knocked unconscious as my head slammed against the ice, and carried off the rink. In the locker room I took multiple showers, because I kept forgetting that I had already showered. However, the team quickly cleared me to play despite signs of a serious concussion. A few weeks later, I experienced a grand mal seizure during a workout.

As I convulsed, my teammates restrained me from hurting myself any further, but the damage to my brain had already been done. Incredibly, it was a team orthopedic surgeon who treated me after my seizure. I sat out for just two weeks before the team doctors again pushed me back onto the ice. I was never seen by a neurologist.

This would be the first of many seizures, and that concussion was just one of many hits to the head. At no time in my NHL career did anyone – a doctor, trainer, coach or league representative – ever tell me that I could be at risk for seizures or other long-term neurological diseases and disorders such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. I loved playing hockey, but wish someone had sat us all down to have an honest conversation about how our brains would feel years into the future.

The league needs to introduce match penalties for fighting. And mandatory 5 game suspensions for 1st time offenders on violent (ie, where there is a clear disregard for your opponent's safety) conduct regardless of whether or not an injury occurs.

You can't remove the head injury risks from contact sports like hockey, but it is not that hard to mitigate them.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
How about just getting rid of fighting....

=/

+1

Fighting is stupid and unnecessary. I usually feel like I'm in the minority on this.

Oh, and maybe they should mandate how helmets are worn. You know securely fastened instead of the chin strap so loose that the helmets fly off.

ShaneB

+1

Fighting is stupid and unnecessary. I usually feel like I'm in the minority on this.

Oh, and maybe they should mandate how helmets are worn. You know securely fastened instead of the chin strap so loose that the helmets fly off.

Heh. I've spoken up many times on those two exact points, so I certainly agree.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't think we'll ever get rid of fighting in the game but it will slowly fade out.

The goon is almost dead and refs are being told to stop fights before they even begin if they can.

It's still be a lot easier just for them to come out and say no fighting at all but no way in hell that happens unless unfortunately someone dies right on the ice from it.

Which I know nobody wants to see nor hope happens.

zroid

Banned
Marlies 1st playoff game starting now... same time as Isles vs Caps :(

I wanna watch both...

+1

I always found the argument that fighting prevents cheap shots to be pretty dumb (and lacking evidence), but really shouldn't the way to handle that problem be to simply enforce stricter penalties for cheap shots? You'd think that'd be the obvious solution.

Best way to get rid of fighting in the NHL is to get rid of it in minor and junior leagues. It will eradicate that culture from the roots.

Acid08

Banned
Fighting doesn't prevent anything. Give an automatic one game suspension for hits where the primary contact is with the head, with more games upon league review.

Did anyone see Jared Leto's Joker Yet? I dunno about it...

I just don't like the tattoos on his face, the other ones aren't winning any awards for being subtle either. I'd be interested in seeing a Batfleck/Joker movie with those two. I think Batman vs. Superman is primed to be awful.

calder

Wait, I forgot the first round pick the Jets got from Buffalo is actually the Blues... so if The Wild close out that series the Jets get two top 20 picks! I had totally assumed the Blues were a WCF team and had written off that pick as a very late first rounder.

Uh, go Wild I guess.

Syrinx

Wait, I forgot the first round pick the Jets got from Buffalo is actually the Blues... so if The Wild close out that series the Jets get two top 20 picks! I had totally assumed the Blues were a WCF team and had written off that pick as a very late first rounder.

Uh, go Wild I guess.

I thought it was just whichever pick came later.

calder

I thought it was just whichever pick came later.
I wasn't sure so I looked it up but now I'm more confused. Do they still rank the division winners who lose in the first two rounds after the other teams that exit before the conf finals? If so then I guess it'll be the Blues no matter what? Unless the Islanders make the ECF?

Edit: forgot in the first post that it assumes the isles are out in first round too.

Top Bottom