• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We could have given up a package like that for Oshie. Going by his presser today, Bergevin really seems set on trying to let Scherbak / McCarron / Oshie grab one of those top 6 spots. Lots of summer left, but I'll be disappointed if he bought out PAP and does nothing with the cap space.

Skab

Has anyone given Tarasenko an offer sheet by now? damn son somebody get on that

don't the Leafs have like about a billion in cap space now? Offer sheeting Tarasenko should be at the top of their priority list, no?

Blues have been working on it, but Tarasenko just got married like 2 days ago, and that has seemingly slowed all talks down.

Marvie_3

Banned
We could have given up a package like that for Oshie. Going by his presser today, Bergevin really seems set on trying to let Scherbak / McCarron / Oshie grab one of those top 6 spots. Lots of summer left, but I'll be disappointed if he bought out PAP and does nothing with the cap space.
You didn't get Oshie but he's going to compete for a top 6 spot in Montreal? ;)

Red_Man

This is encouraging at least, from a ex Habs scout:

I had my doubts a couple of weeks ago...but I am now 99 % certain that Galchenyuk will be moving to center at training camp and beyond.
Still has connections with the organization, so if he feels this confident there's something to it.

You didn't get Oshie but he's going to compete for a top 6 spot in Montreal? ;)
Freudian slip

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
"A team that was last competitive when there were only five other hockey teams."

Gat damn

Leafs fans be like
larry-undecided-o.gif

Parch

I know a couple of Leaf fans that I have to deal with on a regular basis and I'm really getting worried about them.

A few weeks ago they were so optimistic about the rebuild. They were coming up with lists of Oiler's prospects and picks that they expected to get for Kessel. Trying not to laugh I politely tried to explain that they probably won't get much for him. But the mere mention of a salary dump sent them into a frenzy about my insanity.

So I stayed out of their conversations after that. I understand that the Leaf kool-aid is extremely strong and makes them delusional. I didn't want to ruin their high and destroy their dreams.

Now that the Kessel deal has gone down they're in complete shock. Naturally they come to me for an explanation.
"What went wrong? Phil is elite."
Sorry guys, no he's not. He's a weirdo full of hot dogs that very few can afford. He's a terrible two-way player and nobody wanted all of that horrible contract in the cap era. Hell, even the Leafs don't want him anymore and desperately tried to get rid of him. How could you possibly think that he was worth a stack of top prospects? Please try to understand this, guys.

Now they're just wandering around in a complete daze and I'm really getting worried. Surely there must be some sort of therapy or rehab for these poor lost souls.

Red_Man

I've talked to a few Leaf fans about the Kessel trade too and they were just happy they got rid of him. They also said that the Leafs need to trade Phaneuf to Edmonton for Eberle, Hall or Yakupov. Now I see how Simmons is still in business.

eyeless

I know a couple of Leaf fans that I have to deal with on a regular basis and I'm really getting worried about them.

A few weeks ago they were so optimistic about the rebuild. They were coming up with lists of Oiler's prospects and picks that they expected to get for Kessel. Trying not to laugh I politely tried to explain that they probably won't get much for him. But the mere mention of a salary dump sent them into a frenzy about my insanity.

So I stayed out of their conversations after that. I understand that the Leaf kool-aid is extremely strong and makes them delusional. I didn't want to ruin their high and destroy their dreams.

Now that the Kessel deal has gone down they're in complete shock. Naturally they come to me for an explanation.
Sorry guys, no he's not. He's a weirdo full of hot dogs that very few can afford. He's a terrible two-way player and nobody wanted all of that horrible contract in the cap era. Hell, even the Leafs don't want him anymore and desperately tried to get rid of him. How could you possibly think that he was worth a stack of top prospects? Please try to understand this, guys.

Now they're just wandering around in a complete daze and I'm really getting worried. Surely there must be some sort of therapy or rehab for these poor lost souls.
please go away and never return

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I unfortunately was in the car to hear Simmons on TSN1050. They played the Olbermann clip and Simmons just sat there going "well I've had a ton of texts and messages from other columnists saying what a great article it was"

Sure thing Steve, sure thing.

edit: Oh yeah he also somehow "connected the dots" that Kessel got all of the following people fired:

Brian Burke
Ron Wilson
Randy Carlyle
Dave Nonis
Peter Chiarelli

zroid

Banned
I unfortunately was in the car to hear Simmons on TSN1050. They played the Olbermann clip and Simmons just sat there going "well I've had a ton of texts and messages from other columnists saying what a great article it was"

Then he tried to take a shot at Keith by implying he might be out of a job soon :lol

Foggy

How's the scenery up your ass?

Red_Man

The amount of smug Oilers fans that will be coming out of the woodwork for next season is going to be nauseating.

TSN had 303,000 viewers for free agency

Sportsnet had 75,000

Rekt
Pretty funny considering Sportsnet scooped the Kessel trade before TSN.

Pikma

Banned

HZtbA87yL19AiSHwuia3-lVVz1MeG8x7Ntu65yv4nJN9Knl33c8giA8fJvw_kQSO-_n4gZIBhMVWDYLZ=w316-h237-nc

edit: Oh yeah he also somehow "connected the dots" that Kessel got all of the following people fired:

Brian Burke
Ron Wilson
Randy Carlyle
Dave Nonis
Peter Chiarelli

WHAT

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like everybody in the Metro has gotten dramatically better in the past week except for the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The only Leafs fans I know that like Kessel are you guys on here.

Most non-Leafs fan have a higher opinion of him than they do, they were only too happy to get rid of him. Haven't talked to any of them about the return yet, but I can't imagine many of them are too disappointed.
Maybe about the retained salary

These are the same kind of people who always tell me Habs need to get bigger and tougher though, so they buy into all that garbage spewed by the media.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

You don't say?

What's amazing to me is how people who aren't Leafs fans seem to always have "friends" who are so insane when it comes to the Leafs. These "friends" by what must be a coincidence always seem to have the most ridiculous opinions about the Leafs.

It's so weird.

Syrinx

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25231569/hurricanes-owner-peter-karmanos-slams-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford

“Pittsburgh has no first-round picks anymore,” he added. “They traded their first-round pick from the year before, they traded their first-round pick for this year and now they've traded their first-round pick for next year. But they have Kessel, who may score as many goals as Alex Semin did.”

Dat feeling when you realize the guy who just said this is your owner...

Blues wanted someone... bigger and cheaper? Seems like one of those "not too small but not too big" trades meant to shake things up slightly. It's a move that tells the long-suffering fanbase "we're committed to getting better" while telling the current leadership "we still believe in you".

Then again you could probably say Caps are doing the same thing, although they got the better player.

Top Bottom