• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Only Vegas and Quebec filed? What happened to North West team? Need some conference balancing too.

It's obvious a team is moving back west if they expand.

Detroit, columbus or toronto.

The NHL probably wanted 4 bids (seattle and toronto 2) so they could balance the conferences

Foggy

Oh bother, I need that CBJ-PIT rivalry in my life. Although hounding Mike Reilly and seeing if some kind of rivalry can happen with Chicago would be pretty nice.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Oh bother, I need that CBJ-PIT rivalry in my life. Although hounding Mike Reilly and seeing if some kind of rivalry can happen with Chicago would be pretty nice.

I don't see columbus moving back to be honest.

They are geographically closer to pittsburgh and philly than detroit to toronto and buffalo

Detroit only went east because of their whining, should have stayed in the west

Quick

Banned
Columbus is really better off in the east.

But Detroit's whining is probably legitimate when it comes to their later start times due to accommodating later timezones. This was also an issue with CBJ, I think.

I'm not familiar with the Red Wings' regular home schedule when they were in the west, but I think I've seen a lot of 8:00 PM start times vs. 7:00 PM or 7:30 PM. That's pretty shitty for a team on eastern time. And then you account for having to be on other timezones on a regular basis, too. That's shitty.

5gbQCpo.jpg

NHLGAF does any of your Pets throw tantrums when they don't have their way? My cat does. He purposely throws water in his food dish so I have to clean it and give him new food

Being in the Eastern time Zone and in the Western Conference is stupid any way you look at it. Stupid for Columbus, stupid for Detroit. Does anyone really want 10:30pm weekday starts for playoff games on TV?

Personally, now that i'm on Pacific Time, I wouldn't really mind if the Wings came back west.

Quick

Banned
Being in the Eastern time Zone and in the Western Conference is stupid any way you look at it. Stupid for Columbus, stupid for Detroit. Does anyone really want 10:30pm weekday starts for playoff games on TV?

Personally, now that i'm on Pacific Time, I wouldn't really mind if the Wings came back west.

I wonder if non-regional conferences have ever been brought up for the NHL. Similar to the NFL and MLB, basically.

Bad thing I can see happen from that format is the removal of division rivalries that have been established for many years. Metro and Atlantic divisions would get decimated, since the league would presumably have to split up certain rivalries to accommodate.

imBask

Banned
Surprised Seattle didn't put in a bid

i'm sad because it pretty much means that Quebec is getting a team... you have to be a montrealer to understand what this means. Quebec city has a huge inferiority complex so any game they'll win on the same night we'll lose will be their stanley cup and we'll never hear the end of it

I already hate them

Razorskin

----- ------
i'm sad because it pretty much means that Quebec is getting a team... you have to be a montrealer to understand what this means. Quebec city has a huge inferiority complex so any game they'll win on the same night we'll lose will be their stanley cup and we'll never hear the end of it

I already hate them
Sooo Leafs fans?

Calamari41

41 > 38

I already hate them

Sounds like UCLA fans. I know how you feel, friend.

Quick

Banned

I already hate them

Sooo Leafs fans?

Jets fans. I ranted about Jets fans on the Salt On The Ice podcast!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Shut. It.

I'm on board with getting rid of Eastern/Western Conferences. Set a precedent.

Quick

Banned
Shut. It.

I'm on board with getting rid of Eastern/Western Conferences. Set a precedent.

Like I said, bad side to this is the possible separation of rival teams.

I'm actually trying to come up with a list of which teams will end up on the non-regional conferences.

NHL American League and National League is what I have for a name as a placeholder. They could probably restore the old conference names - Campbell and Wales.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
NHLGAF does any of your Pets throw tantrums when they don't have their way? My cat does. He purposely throws water in his food dish so I have to clean it and give him new food

One of my cats puts food in the water dish. I used to think it was accidental until I watched
her pull the food dish to the water dish and then put her paw into the food dish, scoop some food out and drop it in the water dish. It's not a temper tantrum though.

My other cat gets very whiny and vocal when
she wants to be fed.

Fuck cats.

:mad:

My dog will tear up pieces of paper if I'm not attentive enough to her. Or she always brings her food out of the laundry room to eat, even after I clean it and put it in her bowl.

zroid

Banned
Like I said, bad side to this is the possible separation of rival teams.

you can still have divisional rivals without conferences though

functionally everything will be the same in the regular season except there's no arbitrary 3 games vs non-divisional opponents from the same conference and 2 games vs opponents from the other conference

for playoff qualifying again it can be basically the same where the 2nd and 3rd seeds from each division face each other in the 1st round. but the 4 wild cards will be picked from the entire league instead of 2 per conference.

What would that accomplish? The league will always want to minimize travel by having teams play the teams closest to them more often that the teams further away.

it would increase parity and ensure more deserving teams qualify for the playoffs

Quick

Banned

functionally everything will be the same in the regular season except there's no arbitrary 3 games vs non-divisional opponents from the same conference and 2 games vs opponents from the other conference

for playoff qualifying again it can be basically the same where the 2nd and 3rd seeds from each division face each other in the 1st round. but the 4 wild cards will be picked from the entire league instead of 2 per conference.

Right. This makes sense. I was still thinking within regional conference terms for some reason.

Curufinwe

it would increase parity and ensure more deserving teams qualify for the playoffs

That's a lot more complicated and not an improvement on the old system where the top 8 teams from each conference made the playoffs and we had reseeding after each round.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Apparently Bettman said he's fine with not moving anybody back west if they add Quebec and Vegas, so I don't think anything is going to happen.

Top Bottom