• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Yawnier

Banned
James Mirtle @mirtle · 4m 4 minutes ago
Phaneuf: "I expect to be back."

No, Neon Dion. You are already a Red Wing.

Dregs just said that the Dion deal at the deadline was for Weiss, Smith, and Pulkkinen but Leafs wanted Mantha instead

Don't think it was ever stated before that Pulkkinen was part of that deal?

Merguson

Banned
Seems like the compensation to hire executives under contract to other NHL teams is a 2nd round pick, and the cutoff is draft day for compensation to turn into a 3rd round pick. I originally thought it was just when the season ended, but that's just for coaches.

Are the Leafs willing to go into draft day without a GM? That's where crucial trades could be made for the organization. I have my doubts about that.

Since the Leafs don't have a 2nd in 2015, can they provide compensation in future years? Does anyone know? The Leafs have two 2nds in 2016.

zroid

Banned
Dregs just said that the Dion deal at the deadline was for Weiss, Smith, and Pulkkinen but Leafs wanted Mantha instead

Man. I would've taken that probably. Smith can play so he could fill the hole left by Dion, and Pulkkinen is a great prospect.

Weiss is just whatever, Leafs can live with the contract while rebuilding

James Mirtle @mirtle · 4m 4 minutes ago
Phaneuf: "I expect to be back."

No, Neon Dion. You are already a Red Wing.

XBeTRdo.gif

Foggy

Bottom line - the Leafs organization miscast Kave_Man as a depth player and tried to force him into a role without seeing his true potential. Hopefully the new regime can sort that team out and Kave can truly excel next season.

Looking forward to next years updates Kave!

Oh and thanks to Twitter I know what Hell looks like now.

CCfEvuuUAAAoyOM.jpg:large

Holy shit, now I'm convinced Clarkson is going to turn into a hockey demi-god

Yawnier

Banned
Seems like the compensation to hire executives under contract to other NHL teams is a 2nd round pick, and the cutoff is draft day for compensation to turn into a 3rd round pick. I originally thought it was just when the season ended, but that's just for coaches.

Are the Leafs willing to go into draft day without a GM? That's where crucial trades could be made for the organization. I have my doubts about that.

Since the Leafs don't have a 2nd in 2015, can they provide compensation in future years? Does anyone know? The Leafs have two 2nds in 2016.
220px-Cliff_Fletcher.jpg

"Trader Cliff"... As in trade away all our young players for 4th liners!

Man. I would've taken that probably. Smith can play so he could fill the hole left by Dion, and Pulkkinen is a great prospect.

Weiss is just whatever, Leafs can live with the contract while rebuilding

I like that deal too at no salary retained. I can't blame them for holding off on making a deal like that though, another team like the stars with numerous holes in defence might offer something better.

zroid

Banned
Yep the no salary retained is key. It's going to be tough to get a good deal without salary retention. They'll likely have to take back a bad contract, such as Weiss, but Weiss only has 3 years left.

Serpico99

Ugh doesn't look like Clod and Chia are getting the boot. At least they are getting rid of Campbell and Paille. Now get rid of Mr. $3mil Chris Kelly, and I will be happy.

Samyy

I just puked at the thought.

Which decent D are on the free agents list?

Without extraskater its hard to know unforunately, don't know where to find that information :/

Normally though, the FA defecemen are always egregiously overpaid, the best D signing in recent memory that actually was for great value was Stralman. Not sure if FA is where you want to dip into for good D help.

Without extraskater its hard to know unforunately, don't know where to find that information :/

Normally though, the FA defecemen are always egregiously overpaid, the best D signing in recent memory that actually was for great value was Stralman. Not sure if FA is where you want to dip into for good D help.

Well the Kings should have some money if Williams and Stoll really leave. Plus the money once the wife-beater is locked up.

Man there is a chance the team looks really different next year.

zroid

Banned
Shanny press conference starting!

funny-bear-sitting-in-chair-gif.gif

IIRC War on Ice has a pending UFA filter

edit: actually it doesn't differentiate between RFA and UFA... better than nothing though lol

Foggy

So any rumor on who the Kings are going to go after? Clearly the goal for the team are Tyler and Anze but they need better D.

I can't imagine the Kings will depend on Columbus this year. There's a surplus of forwards to work with and they need better D as well. They're probably going to be looking at the same pool. Maybe cash in some of those magical "future considerations".

LevelNth

Banned
Shanahan presser: "One of Mark Hunter's main jobs coming in was to evaluate the entire scouting and development branch of the organization".

Arigoldgetthefout.gif

Samyy

Well the Kings should have some money if Williams and Stoll really leave. Plus the money once the wife-beater is locked up.

Man there is a chance the team looks really different next year.

Its not about money, its about the quality of the D that are paid that money, I just look at 95% of players signed in FA and its just not worth it.

Samyy

I don't think they have that many guys they can trade. No one is going to take Mike Richards.

LA seems like it has a good prospect system, no guys ready to make a jump? I'm sure you have some excess forward prospects you could turn into a defensive prospect, etc.

gaming_noob

Shanahan's press conference from HFboards:

- Through the season, Shanahan recognized there would be changes.
- When he was interviewed, said only way to do this would be to be committed to building a team that could win the Stanley Cup
- Moves yesterday were made because they believed it's what is best to move this team forward
- It's been an evaluation throughout the year, but as we came closer to the end of the season, it became clearer and clearer just how deep they had to do
- Mark Hunter evaluated the scouting department - pro and amateur - top to bottom
- Not eliminating anyone from the process for GM (including Dubas and Hunter). Wants someone who shares their vision
- They need an incredibly resilient group of players who love to play in Toronto, as well as an incredibly resilient group of management team willing to take on the challenge here
- As a group the leadership group isn't strong enough, everyone knows it. Yesterday was just the beginning, and there will be more changes (to the leadership group)
- Mark Hunter evaluated the scouts all season long, and the moves made will in no way hurt the draft, or the Leafs.
- Shanahan says he has a day-to-day impact of the club. Says he doesn't have the intention to make himself General Manager. Trusts Dubas and Hunter with interim day-to-day operations while the search is on
- The challenge in Toronto is to stick to the plan - Draft, Develop, Patience - Every decision needs to go towards making this a championship caliber team that can sustain itself year after year.
- The board has the stomach to building this team, he has the stomach, and anyone coming here needs to have that stomach.
- RE: Finding a GM who will inherit assistants again, says that the job won't be for all GM's, but those GM's won't be for us. Says he wants a GM who wants to be apart of this team, and the vision.
- We have some good pieces, and some talented players, however as a group, as a mix, it just doesn't work, and they understand that. If the mix doesn't work, there is going to be changes
- His goal isn't to be a GM, his goal right now is to find a very capable GM. If in a couple months he feels differently, and they can't find the right person, maybe they'll rethink things
- Kessel and Phaneuf will be apart of the changes. Says after what has went down, changes need to be made, and everyone needs to be apart of that.
- Says the fans are dying for this to happen (rebuild), and that blaming them, or the media, is just a cop out
- It will take as long as it takes, can't deviate from the vision, needs to have patience.
- Would like to see an improvement next season on the attitude and just the way the team plays
- Fans don't understand people that give half efforts (Kessel?????)
- Making these changes last summer would have been a guess by Shanahan.
- Signed some players that they thought would make them better, didn't work out. Got some real good answers this year.
- Doesn't like hypotheticals, but they feel if they find a great coach they want to sign, they'll make the decision, possibly before the GM
- It would certainly speed things up (re:winning the lottery, and getting McDavid)
- Will have an open mind to get the best people here (re: doing a Colorado model, where coach has VP title as well)
- Shanahan will be looking for people who want to be here for a long time, and share this vision
- Says the character and leadership isn't good enough, he's not happy without. However, it's a group thing, not one single guy.
- Hopes to have a GM in place by the draft and free agency, but they aren't bound by deadline.

zroid

Banned
I was impressed by how Shanahan deftly managed the expectations both of the mainstream media types and the blogger types with that press conference. Following along on twitter the commentary went one way (eg: he's making smart management and roster decisions), while listening to the reaction on radio it went in another (eg: he's not satisfied with the character and effort of the roster).

And both groups were satisfied, oddly enough.

Yawnier

Banned
Chris Johnston ✔ @reporterchris

Scouts still employed by #leafs: Mike Penny, Tom Watt, George Armstrong, John Lilley, Garth Malarchuk, Thommie Bergman, Nikolai Ladygin.

Thank fuck they are keeping Bergman.

Who knows how much longer George Armstrong will be scouting for...

Samyy

So the Marlies can clinch a playoff spot if they win tomorrow and Hamilton loses, wow.
From the basement in November-December to a playoff spot, Marlies are bizarro Leafs! Its actually impressive this time since its on the backs of Brown, Nylander, and Gibson.

It may be that I just notice it more readily, but it seems like when there's a picture of a coach on the bench it's always at an Avalanche game, almost as if The Denver Post takes the most photos of coaches. Or perhaps I'm just crazy.

Top Bottom