• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be pissed if the Leafs end up hiring the most qualified French speaking coach available and we end up firing Therrien 10 games into next season, with no good candidates remaining with experience.

Unless we get Babcock

Quick

Banned
I'm going to be pissed if the Leafs end up hiring the most qualified French speaking coach available and we end up firing Therrien 10 games into next season, with no good candidates remaining with experience.

Unless we get Babcock

The Torts era in Montreal is at the cusp of birth.

Cam Charron (now employed by the Leafs) wrote this about Guy Boucher in 2013:

The 1-3-1 wasn't a boring, Jacques Lemaire-esque defensive system. The 1-3-1 was a counter attack formation, the middle guy not there to shadow the puck carrier but to prevent East-West movement. If you made a mistake carrying the puck, the high forward was quick on the puck to create a rush. Skaters were allowed to skate. The point of the system was to minimize the amount of times the opponent got through the neutral zone with control.

So it's exactly like a boring, Jacques Lemaire-esque defensive system.

zroid

Banned
So it's exactly like a boring, Jacques Lemaire-esque defensive system.

to be fair, most effective systems prioritize that because controlled zone entries are one of the most valuable tools for teams to generate offence. calling it Lemaire-esque for that reason is overly reductive.

for example, Chicago is another team that forces dump-ins very well, and nobody would call their system boring

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Team Canada prepping for their game against Sweden with Burgers & Beers, amazing professionality :lol

(Except baby Crosby who had water)

tumblr_nnwbg1jLpL1qjn3rao1_540.jpg

Roy and Chabot have my Eye

Roy has been a top prospect for years, and has consistently displayed his very impressive offensive upside. He's also the rare right-handed defenseman who plays the left side with higher frequency. He's a very good skater in all directions, with nice edge work and a quality top gear. His puck skills are clearly above average, and he's a coordinated puck handler who can lead a rush with ease.
His puck movement is high-end, as he thinks quickly, is creative and doesn't force plays. Roy is slightly undersized and could tighten his gaps defensively at times, but he makes some defensive stops and battles well.

As for Chabot

Chabot had a very quality second campaign in the Q, especially when Saint John's defensive depth was tested and he was asked to step into a bigger role. He's a very gifted skater who can outlet the puck well and is very dangerous off the rush. Chabot has impressive overall hockey IQ, especially offensively, as he sees the ice very well and is able to control the tempo.
His value is certainly offensively tilted, as he loves to join the attack and stretch the ice with his passes. But, he's not entirely one-dimensional, as he can make some defensive stops, is physical and can be effective on the penalty kill. He'll need to continue to develop his defensive play, but he could be a two-way defenseman as a pro.

Interesting.

These guys could be our Markov
Replacements when he decides to retire

Acid08

Banned
@fearthefin: A heavily favored Todd McLellan-coached team is losing to an inferior opponent in early May. It's like the Sharks are in the playoffs!

Ether

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I think the easiest thing to project at the prospect level is a great wrist shot. You could see Pacioretty's release while he was still a prospect and had a feeling he'd be a scorer in the NHL, it helps that he had all of the other tools as well.

Sounds like Boeser and Beauvillier have the best releases in the Habs range, but I haven't watched any video.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So.... Apparently the coyotes have already hit the financial losses required to activate their relocation clause.

It's only been 2 years

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
So.... Apparently the coyotes have already hit the financial losses required to activate their relocation clause.

It's only been 2 years

That was fast. But aren't they stuck for another three years? Or will the losses mount enough that can break the lease earlier?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

It's only been 2 years

This means we get to see more hilarious council meetings?

I'm so down

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Roy and Chabot have my Eye

As for Chabot

Interesting.

These guys could be our Markov
Replacements when he decides to retire
He is very underrated.
You don't just replace a guy like Markov. He was a special player for most of his career.
For the Habs sake, you guys had better hope so. He's quiet back there, but once he got back from that long time off, the Habs became better.
@fearthefin: A heavily favored Todd McLellan-coached team is losing to an inferior opponent in early May. It's like the Sharks are in the playoffs!

Ether
El. Oh. El.

zroid

Banned
jeez Benn is getting ANOTHER hip surgery?

apparently he might not even be ready for the start of next season o_o

(it was implied he probably would be, but I never thought being ready was in doubt)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What the source of that news, btw? The last thing I can find is a loss of $34.831 million in March of this year (the out clause kicks in at $50 million):

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...nhl-profits-34831-million-in-last-fiscal-year

For some reason my phone isn't pasting

But it was twitter.com/rwesthead

There was also an audit of the previous coyotes season which I think still hasn't been finished or at least submitter and is months overdue

Iirc they were seeing losses in excess of $20 millionmillion

Remember that report is just for this season and we are already finished year 2

Since getting better defensively is obviously too much to ask I hope to fucking god the coaching staff is looking at the PP for the entire off-season. I can't deal with it being that fucking terrible for another 82 games.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Since getting better defensively is obviously too much to ask I hope to fucking god the coaching staff is looking at the PP for the entire off-season. I can't deal with it being that fucking terrible for another 82 games.
Odd that a team with Duchene and MacKinnon would have trouble scoring. Is Roy even the best person to coach them?

Pikma

Banned
jeez Benn is getting ANOTHER hip surgery?

apparently he might not even be ready for the start of next season o_o

(it was implied he probably would be, but I never thought being ready was in doubt)
It's incredible how he played all of the 82 games even though he probably was in a lot of pain, specially later in the season. He had a lot of difficulty finishing one of the games near the end, I think it was the away game against the Preds, and remember sources at the time talking about how he was set to miss a few days but I guess he just didn't want to give up.

I'm so proud of my capt, hope he has a fast recovery.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For the Habs sake, you guys had better hope so. He's quiet back there, but once he got back from that long time off, the Habs became better.
Hoping Beaulieu can eventually replace him, but at his peak he was a top 10 D man. You can't just put a kid in his place and expect him to replicate that.

Top Bottom