• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Humanity isn't meant to live forever, we're nothing. I'm not saying it's okay to accelerate that process, but it's pretty much inevitable at this point so i'm not willing to live a miserable life to "save the earth"

just accept that replacing us by AI is the way to go

Ex-Machina pls

I can't wait to be a robot

Socreges

Banned
Climate change will happen with or without us. We are definitely helping it along.
Fair to say that we're expediting/exacerbating it, yes? That action is necessary to abate it as much as we can?

Sorry if you do agree. I just have PTSD from arguments with Albertans about this stuff. People who have grown up in an area dependant on oil tend to be averse to action on climate change.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fair to say that we're expediting/exacerbating it, yes? That action is necessary to abate it as much as we can?

Sorry if you do agree. I just have PTSD from arguments with Albertans about this stuff. People who have grown up in an area dependant on oil tend to be averse to action on climate change.

That's true. I also find a lot of so called environmentalist are hypocrites on the subject. If it is as bad as it is supposed to be it would truly be a significant life change for everyone that would be needed. Also, alternative energy and electric cars aren't as rosey as everyone thinks. People cry about oil on birds what about them being killed by wind turbines (which also provide noise pollution).

Edit: We still need to do what we can, while balancing a lot factors. It is incredibly difficult situation that's for sure.

PK needs to bring back the Afro.

JKJGv9Z.jpg

Socreges

Banned
That's true. I also find a lot of so called environmentalist are hypocrites on the subject. If it is as bad as it is supposed to be it would truly be a significant life change for everyone that would be needed. Also, alternative energy and electric cars aren't as rosey as everyone thinks. People cry about oil on birds what about them being killed by wind turbines (which also provide noise pollution).

Edit: We still need to do what we can, while balancing a lot factors. It is incredibly difficult situation that's for sure.
Oh man I see a reasonable person in there, yet suffocated by the ideology of Alberta

OK let's just talk about hockey from now on!

hahaha I had my last final today and had 97% going into the test. I bombed it and got a 65%. It counts for 25% of my grade so that just tanked. Lovely.

/cries

calder

Calder do you have the latest top 100 draft eligible prospect list from Corey Pronman? I believe it has an analysis of each prospect.

Yeah, it's too much to copy it all but here's the first 24000ish characters:

Overall, I'd say the 2016 NHL draft class is average. The very top of the class has three top-tier prospects -- which is better than average -- with the rest of the first round being standard. The depth in lower rounds is below-average. Longtime readers know I can get a little eccentric with the lower portion of my draft boards, but this was the hardest tail end for me to sort out in a few years. There's a drop off in talent after prospects No. 2 and No. 3, before the gradual decline in marginal prospect value throughout the rest of the class.

The information used to develop these rankings and profiles are done through a variety of methods. I've seen a large chunk of these players live in the past 12 months. I supplement that with discussions with scouts, executives and other hockey people for evaluation and background information, and also perform statistical research and watch video of the players. While discussions with others take place, the rankings are completely my own, and are done to reflect my opinion of who I believe the top prospects in the draft class are, and may differ from the industry.

1. Patrik Laine, LW, Tampere (Liiga)
DOB: 4/19/98 | Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 206
GP: 46 | G: 17 | A: 16

Laine is everything you want in a high-skill power forward. First, he's built like a truck at 6-foot-4, 206 pounds, with broad shoulders and great core strength. It's a joy to watch film of Laine shrugging off checks left and right, and easily winning loose puck battles. He's equally adept at being a playmaker as he is being a goal scorer. Laine's offensive IQ is high-end, bordering on elite. He's a very creative puck handler who anticipates pressure well, and knows how to create space for himself. He moves the puck quickly with few errors.

Off the puck, he finds the open seams well, and can launch a scoring chance from almost anywhere on the ice, having probably the best shot in this class. Laine's skating is his one notable flaw, although he's gotten a little quicker from last season. He's average in that area, and I don't think he's going to jet past NHL defensemen. Overall, he's a special forward, someone who could be an elite scoring power winger in the NHL for the next decade.

Ranking explanation: We're gonna need more than a paragraph on this one. Click here to read my case for Laine over Auston Matthews.

2. Auston Matthews, C, Zug (NLA)
DOB: 9/17/97 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 210
GP: 36 | G: 24 | A: 22

Teams dream about getting a legit No. 1 center like Matthews when picking at the top of the draft. A 6-foot-2, 210-pound pivot with a skill level that is off the charts, he's also got professional experience to boot, and he's been making Swiss cheese out of his opponents in the NLA. Matthews is a magician with the puck; not one of those pretend magicians you'll find in Las Vegas, but like the ones you read about in fiction novels. He is so coordinated and creative that it's nearly impossible to strip him of the puck. Combining that with an incredible touch that can have him effortlessly saucer pass across the rink onto the blade, or place it on a shot wherever he wants to, and he's a nightmare for teams to defend. He's a very good skater, and while he's not among the very top tier of the class in terms of speed, he can explode down the ice with anyone.

Matthews isn't perfect. His real weakness is when the offense isn't flowing through him. He's not a really physical player who will grind for pucks along the wall, nor is he some sort of defensive stalwart. Matthews still uses his big frame to win pucks and competes well on the ice in every zone, but the team drafting him must be realistic about what he's going to be in terms of the gritty areas of the game.

Ranking explanation: Jesse Puljujarvi is a fantastic prospect, one of the best under-18 players to ever don the Finland jersey. His 16- and 17-year-old performances at the IIHF World Junior Championship (WJC) are among the all-time greats. He's big, skilled, fast and advanced in his play. He's just not at the same level as Matthews and Laine. I can't think of one attribute he's substantially better at than Matthews, except for possibly his physical play; he's quicker than Laine and a little better defensively. They have him beat in every other area, either marginally or notably.

3. Jesse Puljujarvi, RW, Karpat (Liiga)
DOB: 5/7/98 | Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 203
GP: 50 | G: 13 | A: 15

Puljujarvi is one of the most exciting prospects Finland has produced. He's a big, explosive winger, who was the second-highest scoring 17-year-old ever at the WJC, tied with Eric Lindros and a point behind Jaromir Jagr. He's an unbelievable skater for a 6-foot-4 player, having a great top gear and a really fluid stride. He's not that physically aggressive, but he closes on guys so well that he pressures and wins battles effectively. Puljujarvi shows a high-skill level, a plus shot and high-end hockey IQ. He is constantly around the puck and setting up his teammates.

He's not quite defensively sound yet, but he shows effort in that area, and with proper development, we could see that area of his game grow. To get an idea of what a competitor he is, a few hours before the gold medal game at the IIHF under-18 world championship, Puljujarvi was sick in bed. He then went out and carried his team to a championship, scoring a hat trick. (thanks to Twitter user Tuomo Vartianen for pointing this out). At his ultimate upside, he could be one of the more dynamic scorers in the NHL.

Ranking explanation: This point has a drop off from Puljujarvi to the next group of forwards in Clayton Keller, Alexander Nylander and Matthew Tkachuk. None of these alternatives has the excellent resume or the dynamic all-around tool kit of Puljujarvi. Keller's skill is about the same, and he is a better playmaker, but Puljujarvi is a monster standing next to him, and is a better goal scorer, too. Nylander can't match his physical dominance or shot, and Tkachuk doesn't skate as well. They all may be better at one or two things than Puljujarvi, but then it's either a push or a slant to Puljujarvi in every other attribute.

4. Clayton Keller, C, USA U18 (USHL)
DOB: 6/29/98 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 168
GP: 55 | G: 33 | A: 60

One of the best players ever to participate at the USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USNTDP), Keller put up monstrous numbers between his USHL, collegiate and international performances. He's a complete offensive player who seems to generate chances and display distinct puck-moving abilities whenever he takes a shift. Keller has an explosive first step and an above-average top gear. He's not an incredible skater for a smaller guy, but he still skates very well. Keller handles the puck at a top level, too, but his clear best trait is his hockey sense. He just makes so many good, high-level decisions with and without the puck that allow his team to maintain possession and get shooting lanes. Keller never seems rattled with the puck, and makes the right plays seem easy.

While not a defensive stalwart, Keller has shown decent defensive prowess this season. His size and physical game limitations are obvious issues, but there is a lot to like in his game other than that.

Ranking explanation: One could argue the stats favor Pierre-Luc Dubois over Keller, as the former has been a scoring and shots machine in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), even though Keller was among the best scorers in USNTDP history. However, Keller shows a different level of skill. His vision is much better, he's a better skater and puck handler, and while Dubois is bigger and a better defensive player, Keller was no slouch defensively. He was often the first player coach Danton Cole sent over the boards in a critical defensive situation. Compared to Tkachuk, Keller is nearly a full year younger than him, so I almost take a glance at Tkachuk during his time in the NTDP last season versus Keller now, and it's a no-brainer in Keller's favor. Obviously, one has to consider what Tkachuk has done since then, but he didn't have an overwhelmingly great season, nor do his tools grade at such a higher level than Keller's, other than his physical game. Nylander and Keller have similar skill sets, but Keller is a competent center and better defensively.

5. Pierre-Luc Dubois, C, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
DOB: 6/24/98 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 201
GP: 62 | G: 42 | A: 57

Dubois was one of the best players in the QMJHL this season and nearly made Canada's WJC team. I've never watched Dubois play and come away thinking he's the best skater or the best puck handler in a given match, but he always makes a positive contribution. He's incredibly well-rounded, though. Dubois can play both the wing and center effectively, but is more comfortable on the wing. He's a skilled scorer with very good two-way hockey IQ who can flash high-end vision.

He's a very physically developed player, who is strong, competitive on the ice, drives to the dirty areas, and is committed to his fitness off the ice. Whenever Dubois gets into a 1-on-1 battle, he tends to come out with the puck. He's not the fastest skater but he doesn't slug around the ice, either. He projects as an NHL forward who can be slotted into a variety of roles, and has a low-risk factor on his projection.

Ranking explanation: I had Tkachuk at the No. 5 spot for a decent chunk of the season, until Dubois switched to playing center full time for Cape Breton and doing it well. A decent component of this ranking is projecting that Dubois will end up an NHL center, which is something that not every NHL scout I've talked to believes in. Like in the Keller case, Tkachuk is notably older than Dubois, and has more experience, but I don't see as much of a skill gap. In fact, one could argue Tkachuk has a slightly higher skill level and better vision. Skating is pretty much a push as well. However, Dubois is a much more effective defensive player and a little better in his physical play. Nylander wasn't as dominant this season in the OHL as Dubois was in the QMJHL, however I see the argument his pure upside is higher. I don't see the offensive ceiling between the two being dramatically different, but Dubois has the much better two-way game.

6. Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)
DOB: 12/11/97 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 200
GP: 57 | G: 30 | A: 77

Keith Tkachuk's son has been a standout for years at multiple levels. He was great last season in the USHL and with the USNTDP, was a top player at the world under-18 championship, and a top player this season in the OHL. He is a multi-dimensional scoring winger. You talk to any scout about Tkachuk, they come back raving about his hockey IQ. He has great vision and offensive creativity, and makes quick, precise decisions with the puck. He can dangle defensemen, and create offense out of nothing, but Tkachuk is also a relentless worker. He wins more than his fair share of battles, and is his father's son on some days, being a pain in the rear for many defenders and goalies.

His speed isn't at the same level as his hands and vision. He's not slow, but he's certainly not a top-end speedster, either. Tkachuk can also get caught cheating a little defensively, an area of his game that he'll need to tighten up.

Ranking explanation: I flip-flopped on Tkachuk vs. Nylander probably every week in the lead up to this list, and it wasn't until Tkachuk's extremely strong showing in the OHL postseason tilted the needle a bit. I've talked to scouts who strongly believe in one or the other, but for me this is a pure coin flip. They are both very skilled and intelligent players who have produced in the OHL and internationally. Nylander is a little better with the puck, is a better skater, and also has played one fewer season than Tkachuk. However, Tkachuk is a little smarter, much tougher in puck battles and has been a more consistent force in terms of controlling puck possession during the past two years. His ability to consistently elevate his game at any level makes me lean to Tkachuk.

7. Alexander Nylander, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
DOB: 3/2/98 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 180
GP: 57 | G: 28 | A: 47

Brother of Leafs prospect William Nylander and son of former NHLer Michael Nylander, Alexander was one of the top scorers in the OHL this season, and was one of the top under-18 scorers ever at the WJC. His skill level and his offensive hockey sense are elite. Nylander is able to think the game so quickly, and dominate possession whenever he gets near the puck. He sees options developing even without directly looking down the lanes, and is able to create space for himself. He's got guts with the puck, sometimes putting the puck in risky spots, but overall he makes plays few other forwards do.

Nylander's speed is not elite, but it's certainly above-average and flashes a grade above on top of his being very agile on his edges. He also features a quality wrist shot as well. Nylander's defense could still use work. He's too prone to losing battles and can misplay his position, but he did show significant progression in that area as the season went on, and steadily earned penalty killing time in the second half. He shows strong work ethic, and you can envision him cleaning up that area with proper development.

Ranking explanation: The merits of Nylander or really any of these top forwards over a top defenseman like Olli Juolevi or Jakob Chychrun comes down to two factors: The degree of talent and the value of the position. Forwards are considerably more valuable (http://es.pn/1DCnuRD) than defensemen in today's NHL, so for a defenseman to overtake a forward on my board, he needs to be notably better in terms of pure talent. When comparing the set of forwards versus the set of defensemen in this year's class, we have several players who have excelled in league play and internationally but haven't dominated. We have players with very good skill sets, but either have a crucial flaw or are not elite across the board. Given these circumstances, always take the forward.

8. Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)
DOB: 5/5/98 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 182
GP: 57 | G: 9 | A: 33

One of the best defensemen in the OHL this season, Juolevi also recorded the highest point totals ever by an under-18 defenseman at the WJC. Juolevi is a fantastic skater. He exerts very little effort to get up to a dangerous top gear and moves well in all directions. His puck movement is high-end, as he shows calmness, skill and elite hockey sense when he has the puck on his stick. He's able to QB a power play with the best of them, on top of creating dangerous chances in transition. He's also not afraid to take risks, but he's very calculating when he does, and rarely does he hurt his team.

Juolevi's smarts translate to defense. He is always getting his stick on pucks and is an overall reliable defensive player in his positional play. He could stand to bulk up quite a bit, as he has a bit of a beanpole frame (6-foot-2, 182 pounds). However, Juolevi still works hard on the ice to win battles and get to pucks even if his frame isn't ideal for those situations yet.

Ranking explanation: This ranking explanation has two parts. First, the reason for ranking him over Tyson Jost is because there is a notable difference in talent level between the two. Juolevi is a top-of-the-line skater, with elite hockey IQ, and while Jost does a lot of things very well he doesn't have any particular elite attributes.

The second is Juolevi versus the other defensemen available. There is no clear top defenseman in this year's class, but here is why I tilt toward Juolevi. Chychrun and Mikhail Sergachyov have been more productive in the OHL this season, but Juolevi has a better toolkit. He's as good a skater and puck handler as both of them, but the differentiator is hockey sense. While Chychrun and Sergachyov are bigger, better physically and have better shots, Juolevi is much smarter than both, and can control the flow of a game at both ends. Dante Fabbro's hockey IQ is at that level, maybe even higher, but Juolevi is a much better skater. I could see reasonable quibbles over this placement, especially since Juolevi did not dominate the OHL, but he had one of the best WJCs I've ever seen by a 17-year-old defenseman. It's a gut call on my part; your gut may differ.

9. Tyson Jost, C, Penticton (BCHL)
DOB: 3/14/98 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 191
GP: 48 | G: 42 | A: 62

Jost was simply fantastic this season, putting up huge numbers for a 17-year-old in the BCHL, even when you adjust for its lesser league quality. He is a dynamic, athletic center with decent off-the-puck skills as well. Jost is one of the better skaters in his draft class, with an easy, explosive stride whose first few steps will be able to evade NHL checkers. He's a highly-skilled puck handler who can execute high-difficulty plays in tight spaces, as well as make above-average passes.

Jost's defensive play has shown significant improvement during this season. I didn't love his defensive positioning last year, but by the world under-18 championship in the spring, he was arguably Canada's best defensive forward. Bigger players can muscle him off pucks too easily at times. However, Jost does work his tail off, often being one of the hardest working players on the ice on top of being one of the most skilled. He has committed to the University of North Dakota for next season.

10. Dante Fabbro, D, Penticton (BCHL)
DOB: 6/20/98 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 189
GP: 45 | G: 14 | A: 53

An outstanding two-way defenseman who was the best defenseman in the BCHL this season, Fabbro also had strong showings in international play. His hockey IQ is among the best in this draft class. The way Fabbro moves the puck dictates the tempo of the shift. His passes are accurate but also very crisp, as he puts his full weight into a lot of his breakout passes. He's so calm and aware on his outlets, and is a decent skater, which lets him rush the puck up as well. Fabbro can QB a power play, and has some creativity in his game.

He's got a decent frame, will engage his checks physically and is a quality positional player. There's an occasional mistake on that end, but for the most part he's a pretty sound player. He is committed to play next season at Boston University.

Ranking explanation: I came into the season with Chychrun being rated a few spots higher than Fabbro, and as we went from August to May, I was continually impressed by Fabbro while waiting for Chychrun to have those "wow" games. Mind you, Chychrun was still great all season, and struggled through some injuries, but he never showed the offensive upside Fabbro did. For me, Fabbro projects to be a moderately better puck mover in the NHL, while Chychrun projects to be slightly better defensively. That matters -- given that they are defensemen -- but still makes me tilt toward Fabbro, given the IQ/offense gap he's shown. What's more, they played together for two weeks -- often on the same pairing -- in the final weeks of the season, with Fabbro elevating his play over Chychrun.

11. Jakob Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)
DOB: 3/31/98 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 205
GP: 62 | G: 11 | A: 38

Son of former No. 47 overall pick (1984) Jeff Chychrun, Jakob has been on the prospect radar for years, as one of the top players in the 1998 age group for a while; that includes his being the top pick in his OHL draft year. Chychrun was one of the better defenders in the OHL this season. He's a high-end skater, with excellent agility. Chychrun has above-average skill, and while he isn't a dangler, he can evade pressure well and move the puck very effectively on the man advantage. Chychrun thinks the game pretty well defensively. He's an advanced positional player, and given his very strong frame and great work ethic, he is a very reliable penalty killer. Offensively, he shows the ability to move the puck well and make some skill plays, but he can make some bad decisions and doesn't show high-end creativity.

12. Logan Brown, C, Windsor (OHL)
DOB: 3/5/98 | Ht: 6-6 | Wt: 220
GP: 59 | G: 21 | A: 53

A native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Brown has been a much-discussed prospect in the scouting ranks for years, and for a variety of reasons. He is often defined as having "all the tools." He's a 6-foot-6 center, with high-end skill who can dominate a game whenever he gets near the puck. He's a very smart playmaker with great patience, vision and instincts. Though not a blazer, he skates extremely well for a player his size. If there weren't some consistent negatives hanging on him, he'd have all the capabilities to be in the top five of this class. One of the negatives is that he can be a non-factor off the puck. Historically, he's had a tendency to shy away from physical play, and his defensive effort isn't good, although the latter area showed significant improvement in the second half of this season. His work ethic on and off the ice have been criticized, but Brown seemed to take those critiques to heart, and really impressed in the past few months. If he maintains that trend, he could be a game-breaking center.

13. German Rubtsov, C, Russia U18 (MHL)
DOB: 6/27/98 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 178
GP: 28 | G: 12 | A: 14

The well-rounded Rubtsov was the top player on the inaugural Russia under-18 team this season, and showed well in international play. Offensively, he has the traits one would expect of a top Russian prospect. He's an above-average skater, with a good first step and an easy stride. His skills aren't elite, but he shows good hands and is able to create space for himself. His hockey IQ is very impressive, as he displays great patience with the puck, sees his options well and always finds himself involved with the play. Rubtsov is a fierce competitor in puck battles and, despite having a lean frame, is able to win a fair amount of them. He's also a quality defensive center, who has been leaned on all season in critical defensive situations, and is often a threat to score shorthanded. Though he and the rest of his teammates were disqualified from the under-18 world championships, it's hard to see his draft stock slipping too much.

14. Kieffer Bellows, LW, USA U18 (USHL)
DOB: 6/10/98 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 196
GP: 55 | G: 45 | A: 28

Bellows, son of former No. 2 overall pick (1982) Brian Bellows, has been one of the top players in the USHL for the past two seasons. He's followed a unique path. After skating for Sioux Falls of the USHL in 2014-15, he joined the USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USNTDP) for his second season of eligibility, and was the under-18 team's second-best player this season; he currently ranks among the best goal scorers ever in the program. Stylistically, Bellows is a scoring power winger. He's got a sturdy, developed frame, plays with an edge and brings a lot of offensive tools to the table. He shows above-average puck skills and offensive hockey sense, and has a high-end shot. In fact, he was a shots machine this season, with one of the highest shots-per-game rates in the USHL. However, Bellows' skating has been a consistent issue in his game. He just doesn't have any sort of explosiveness in his stride. His defensive play isn't too great either, which may be a product of his skating as opposed to any work ethic issues. He has committed to Boston University for next season.

Yeah, it's too much to copy it all but here's the first 24000ish characters:

Thanks for posting.

The issue with Pronman is that he values skill so much more than everything else, so a small guy like Keller cracks his top-5 when he has a tough time consistently getting in the top-10 of anybody else.

Still, I enjoy reading his stuff. He knows a lot of people in the industry and usually gets good impressions.

Environmentalism is at its core a conservative argument (stop doing this, it's bad), which means it's totally fucked as a popular movement.

We as a society are strikingly allergic to anything that requires we modify our own behaviour.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, it's finally Buch time.

The Rangers have signed Pavel Buchnevich. 3 years, $925k per.

That's roughly the same contract as Brady Skjei.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

There was a thread on gaf somewhat recently about this with some VERY adamant people about SCIENTISTS GOT THEIR PREDICTIONS WRONG BEFORE ALL DATA IS FAULTY THERE IS NO CLIMATE CHANGE EVIDENCE LALALALALALALA

it's sad

Also lol@calder talking about old people

iLLmAtlc

Holy shit that Uncharted walking simulator thread is a graveyard on the first page.

Holy cow I haven't seen that many casualties in a while.

I kinda agree with the walking simulator clickbait sentiment tho. I dunno how anyone could come away with the impression the game is more walking than shooting, platforming, infiltration and puzzles.

But yeah I hate tapping buttons too. Cheap way to make it seem like you're involved.

There's still room for games like this imo. They're the best way to tell an excellent story like in TLOU.

calder

Thanks for posting.

The issue with Pronman is that he values skill so much more than everything else, so a small guy like Keller cracks his top-5 when he has a tough time consistently getting in the top-10 of anybody else.

Still, I enjoy reading his stuff. He knows a lot of people in the industry and usually gets good impressions.

Yeah I really like his take, mainly because he's good at explaining his thought processes and makes it clear what he values and how he arrives at his conclusions. Which is different from what most writers on TSN or Sportsnet do, just polling a number of scouts and giving a consensus ranking with some anonymous quotes. A consensus based list is obviously helpful but reading snippets like "scouts love his motor, but some scouts said his skating needs work" isn't as interesting to me than one guys detailed opinion.

Curufinwe

Thanks for posting.

Except he doesn't always value skill. One of the Calder nominees didn't even make his top 100 prospects a year ago.

It's hard to work out what attracted him to Rocco Grimaldi and Pontus Aberg but made him indifferent about Gostisbehere.

zroid

Banned
Except he doesn't always value skill. One of the Calder nominees didn't even make his top 100 prospects a year ago.

It's hard to work out what attracted him to Rocco Grimaldi and Pontus Aberg but made him indifferent about Gostisbehere.
iirc he's also been relatively low on Provorov for a while

maybe he just hates the Flyera

Quick

Banned
hahaha I had my last final today and had 97% going into the test. I bombed it and got a 65%. It counts for 25% of my grade so that just tanked. Lovely.

/cries

Sorry to hear. Exams are just knee breakers sometimes. I assume you're doing okay/well in other classes that this won't put you in any sort of probation?

Reminds me of an optional exam I did a few years ago:

I forget the exact circumstances of it, but there was a teacher's strike a few years ago that left our campus closed for about a couple of weeks right near exams period.

One of my profs decided to let us skip his exam and keep our current mark as the final mark. I had around 79%, but I decided to take the exam for some reason. It was my last exam before the holidays too.

I was maybe one of five people in there, and the rest of them I've never seen before (clearly skipped most of the semester) or were failing. I handed in my exam, and all he said was "You could've just started your holidays early, you know." I forgot exactly what I said, but it was along the lines of "well, I wanted to give it a try anyway."

I ended up doing pretty okay.

RC

Banned
I don't know why I waited so long to watch Deadpool. It was amazing!

Plus the Number 5 Orange was in it! My home away from home.

Quick

Banned
On the climate change talk: I had a Science instructor who didn't believe in climate change. He showed us some skewed data to back this up. If I cared more, I would've asked for a transfer to a different instructor, but it was an elective and the class was really convenient to my schedule.

gaming_noob

Note to all.. Do not post in Uncharted threads..bloodbaths in all of them. The good side is they finally got rid of some annoying trolls.

Who the heck is Keller.

He has #rekt the competition at the USHL level. Pretty sure he is a top-5 goal scorer in USNDTP history. About on par with Kane, Kessel, Matthews in goal scoring. Only knock is he isn't very big at all. And isn't particularly fast (although his skating is good).

I saw him play against UND (the NCAA Champs this year) and while I couldn't directly compare him to Schmaltz or Boeser (two of the top-5 NCAA players this year, IMO) because the latter two weren't playing, Keller was awesome. He was basically on an island with Kieffer Bellows (a top-20 draft pick this year) and then a bunch of scrubs. They got blown out by UND, which was to be expected, but Keller looked good while doing it.

Some of the moves he pulled off *whew*

That's true. But in general he values skill more than most. Neither of those guys you mentioned have done anything. Which is a bummer, because I met Grimaldi and talked to him a few times. Nice guy. I want him to succeed.

Sorry to hear. Exams are just knee breakers sometimes. I assume you're doing okay/well in other classes that this won't put you in any sort of probation?

Reminds me of an optional exam I did a few years ago:

I forget the exact circumstances of it, but there was a teacher's strike a few years ago that left our campus closed for about a couple of weeks right near exams period.

One of my profs decided to let us skip his exam and keep our current mark as the final mark. I had around 79%, but I decided to take the exam for some reason. It was my last exam before the holidays too.

I was maybe one of five people in there, and the rest of them I've never seen before (clearly skipped most of the semester) or were failing. I handed in my exam, and all he said was "You could've just started your holidays early, you know." I forgot exactly what I said, but it was along the lines of "well, I wanted to give it a try anyway."

I ended up doing pretty okay.

I wish my story went like yours.

I'm probably going to get a B in that class. I was hoping for an A to kind of cancel out an almost guaranteed C I'm getting in another one. My GPA is either going to be right at 3.0 or at 2.8, which isn't too bad but I always try and target a 3.0 each semester. Kind of a bummer.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Sutter staying with the Kings is good. Hopefully Lombardi and him came to an agreement on the direction of the team. Probably more young players getting play time next season.

Uncharted as a walking sim? I suppose that is a bit better than calling it a murder sim. The joyless hot-takesmanship of entertainment writing is quite something to behold.

Socreges

Banned
Environmentalism is at its core a conservative argument (stop doing this, it's bad), which means it's totally fucked as a popular movement.
Yeah, it's fascinating how twisted conservatives have become. At point X during the 20th century corporations captured the narrative. Conservatism --> Fiscal restraint --> Low taxes, low spending / economic liberalism --X-> support of corporations --> support of oil companies --> derogation of environmentalism

SCHUEY's point above about birds and turbines is a great example of the (sometimes distorted) information people choose to share without understanding or context:

800px-Bird_mortality.svg.png

We as a society are strikingly allergic to anything that requires we modify our own behaviour.
It's a built-in evolutionary response that misfires when it comes to eg, accommodating transgendered people....or the environment.

Curufinwe

One of the worst parts of American conservatism is how they totally abandoned the low spending part. The Republicans could really learn some lessons from the center/right party in New Zealand that have won three elections in a row and done a much better job managing the economy.

Socreges

Banned
One of the worst parts of American conservatism is how they totally abandoned the low spending part. The Republicans could really learn some lessons from the center/right party in New Zealand that have won three elections in a row and done a much better job managing the economy.
Neo-conservatives, mang. Gotta spread that capitalism freedom.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So Canucks fans, this Nicklas Jensen kid. This guy. Is he actually shit, or were you just saying that?

Amazing goalie reaction in that video, too, by the way.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's fascinating how twisted conservatives have become. At point X during the 20th century corporations captured the narrative. Conservatism --> Fiscal restraint --> Low taxes, low spending / economic liberalism --X-> support of corporations --> support of oil companies --> derogation of environmentalism

SCHUEY's point above about birds and turbines is a great example of the (sometimes distorted) information people choose to share without understanding or context:

800px-Bird_mortality.svg.png

It's a built-in evolutionary response that misfires when it comes to eg, accommodating transgendered people....or the environment.

Damn, transmission lines.

You are right , data can be easily skewed on both sides.

It is hard to separate oneself when ones industry and province is strongly impacted.

Socreges

Banned
So Canucks fans, this Nicklas Jensen kid. This guy. Is he actually shit, or were you just saying that?

Amazing goalie reaction in that video, too, by the way.
We were just saying that. As demonstrated in your 5-second clip, he has all the skills required to be a long-standing player in the NHL.

Just like Linus Omark.

No one ever said he was shit, I don't think. He was just disappointing and a trade for Etem seemed reasonable and promising. Both players come with upside and risk.

Pacioretty had a lot to say today about being captain, galchenyuk and putting that stupid rumor Tony Marino Brian Wilde and Chris Nilan started about there being a rift in the locker room to rest

Dave Stubbs‏@Dave_Stubbs
Bury this rumour of unrest: #Habs Max Pacioretty tells me the teammate he's probably been in touch w/ most since season's end is P.K. Subban

On Being Captain

On Galchenyuk

Quick

Banned
Just had an argument over protocols and procedures when dealing with clients with my company HR person via text messaging. It was all professional, but I made it known that I'm not happy with current procedures.

I'm actually upset that she decided to try and argue and defend clients rather than try to at least sympathize with me instead, me as an actual employee of the company.

Top Bottom