• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Samyy

Absolute trash

it's a shame they choked in game 3 because I'd have loved to get this series over with and not have to worry about any more players getting murdered

by the way, Shawinigan was eliminated so that frees up Dmytro Timashov. Wonder if he joins the Marlies.

I think its almost guaranteed he joins in a capacity similar to Bracco at least

eyeless

it is kinda a shame marner is such a born winner who balls out of control all the way to the memorial cup, if he was into getting swept like his boy strome he could've joined the marlies, would've been great to see him in the ahl, but alas

calder

Oh yeah I almost forgot:

PRONMAN: Why Patrik Laine, not Auston Matthews, is the top NHL draft prospect

There is a great debate between favoring Auston Matthews and favoring Patrik Laine as the top overall prospect in the 2016 draft class, and in crafting my top 100 rankings for the class, I landed on Laine.

This decision is not some knee-jerk recency bias. I wrote back in January that the first overall pick was a coin flip, which is something I maintain.

Even though I did not make the argument for Laine at first overall in the class a year ago, one could have made a reasonable argument dating back to the 2015 IIHF under-18 championship, and that idea has continued to gain momentum throughout this season, as Laine has maintained that high level of excellence. I didn't have Laine in the top five last summer, but that was due to overly conservative hedging and wanting to wait for a larger sample, after Laine looked like an elite guy in the under-18 tournament.

Some might argue that if nearly the entire hockey community has said Matthews is the top guy, why not just be safe? Are you just trying to be different or controversial? My job is not to worry about perception but to give my opinion based on my evaluation process. I have gone through this process rigorously and thought about this call for about six months. I've gone back and forth and do consider this call a near coin flip.

However, I'm going with Laine at No. 1, and here's why.

Tools

To illustrate this section, I will use the 20-80 scale commonly seen in baseball. Some NHL teams have adopted various versions of this scale (I've seen different teams use 30-90 or 10-70, for example). Using this scale, a 50 means the player projects as NHL average, 60 is among the top third of the league, 70 is among the very best, and 80 is generational; at the other end, 40 is at the fringe of the league, and anything below that is not NHL-caliber.

The following table includes the top two prospects from this draft and some top forward prospects from previous drafts:

HLQN2a3.png

On a tools basis, here is how I see things: Matthews is a much better skater than Laine, he has better puck skills, and he is better defensively. Laine is smarter, has a much better shot and is much better physically. That doesn't mean either of these players is poor in any of these areas; it is about relative differences.

Centers are more valuable than wingers, so that creates a tilt to Matthews. The common argument is that if it's close, take the center, and I don't disagree with that.

Some might look at how the tools line up and say it's a push, but I disagree. I see a slight to moderate lean to Laine just because of how elite his hockey sense is. I think great players are built on IQ. Laine is always around the puck and winning the puck, and he always seems to find himself in position for a scoring chance. When you add an elite shot and a 6-foot-4 frame, it gives the edge to Laine, even if he doesn't have the speed and touch of Matthews. Given that slight to moderate gap and adjusting for the position, especially given that Matthews is better defensively, it's almost a coin flip for me, but I go with Laine for this next reason.

Age difference

The difference in age and playing experience matters. Some might roll their eyes at the assertion that seven months can be significant, but it is when players are this young. When you research the standard of excellence for an under-18 player versus that of an under-19 player, it's a significant difference. When we looked at similar CHL players, production-wise, the difference between late September birthday players, such as Matthews, and April birthday players, such as Laine, was a nearly 100 percent difference in production in the NHL.

As a player who is nearly a full year older and who has a full extra season of hockey experience, Matthews can't just be going tit-for-tat with Laine. He has to be substantially better. I think he has been better this season. From league play to the IIHF World Junior Championship to the World Championships, I believe Matthews has been slightly better -- but that's not enough. The aforementioned gap between under-18 and under-19 players, and the historic trends they follow, have taught me the gap needs to be bigger. When you try to find players who have looked like Laine at his age, there are nearly none. Maybe Jaromir Jagr? Maybe Alex Ovechkin?

Those are obviously very best-case scenarios for Laine's projection, but the main point is that Laine has looked unique: unique in how he plays, unique in how he generates so many shots versus pros, unique in how he can be a quality player on a good World Championship team right around the time he loses his status as a minor. These unique traits are what pull me in the direction of Laine as the top prospect.

High floor vs. high ceiling

There are legitimate counterpoints, and I would not fault any team for preferring Matthews. There are risks with Laine. Laine's lack of complete game and Matthews' extra season of proving himself -- and doing so at an extremely high level -- lower the risk on his projection. He could be one of the game's best players and a centerpiece center for a decade.

But I think Laine at the very least has a chance to be something special, and I'd almost always take a chance on special.

Put another way, this will come down to a team's appetite for risk and whether the team would prefer the player with a higher floor (Matthews) or the one with a higher ceiling (Laine).

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Stars lost, Spurs get murdered by that shithead OKC team.

Fuck basketball, fuck soccer, fuck Lehtonen, fuck Jerry Jones.

Bring three MLB teams and five NHL teams here to the SA-Austin corridor.

Fuck everything.

/butt rage

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
He could be one of the game's best players and a centerpiece center for a decade.
Is Matthews really considered to be that special? I didn't realize the hype around him was that crazy.

Don't respond to this post Dopey.

zroid

Banned
Is Matthews really considered to be that special? I didn't realize the hype around him was that crazy.

Don't respond to this post Dopey.

From what I understand his prospect status is probably considered something similar to Tavares. Not a generational player, but a franchise C.

Red_Man

Earlier this evening, Geoff Molson told me "it would be very surprising" to see the Canadiens trade P.K. Subban this off-season
Too bad this won't stop people from bringing it up for the next month a half.

I think he's primarily getting compared to Tavares/Kopitar/Toews
Not Dopey so hope this is okay

From what I understand his prospect status is probably considered something similar to Tavares. Not a generational player, but a franchise C.
Gotchya, I just assumed he was more of a MacKinnon type 1st overall pick, projection wise. Haven't followed this draft at all, but if his projections are that high, it seems obvious the Leafs pick him. They're not going to get another chance at a center like this.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I wasn't even counting on the Preds to make the playoffs with their terrible midseason so my expectations for 2015-16 were exceeded. Still, to go out like that is pretty painful.

Red_Man

For all my Hip-Hop brethren, the new Chance album is fire

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215401

Y'know, I wondered this last year around this time when we were all chatting about the 2015 draft:

Who the hell is Corey Pronman?
From a year ago

I always laugh at how much stock people put into Pronman's opinion. He's literally just a random scout who happens to be on twitter and be vocal. He's not some exceptional talent, he just happens to respond to random people on twitter so people take his word for gospel. Not to take say he's worthless, but people need to take his opinion less seriously and compare it with other scouts.

The fact he's on twitter posting impressions and his scouting observations instead of working for a team is all that needs to be said. He got picked up by ESPN after he started getting so many hits on twitter.

Pikma

Banned
Stars lost, Spurs get murdered by that shithead OKC team.

Fuck basketball, fuck soccer, fuck Lehtonen, fuck Jerry Jones.

Bring three MLB teams and five NHL teams here to the SA-Austin corridor.

Fuck everything.

/butt rage
Is this the true megachao? I like it

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Are you a bigger Spurs fan?

It's a little complicated, but here goes:

I actually like the Stars (and hockey in general) more than the Spurs, even though the latter are my hometown team. The Stars are more or less a team on the rise, and they still to fix some big gaping holes mainly in their D-core and goaltending, so while I am upset that the Stars crashed and burned in Game 7 of the second round, their weaknesses were obvious in that it was quite the accomplishment that they got as far as they did, and its something I can at least be proud of in spite of their shortcomings. The core is young with Benn, Seguin, Roussel and Klingberg, alongside promising prospects like Faksa and Janmark, plus some good role players like Eaves and Fiddler, so the team has some good footprint to build upon.

The Spurs, on the other hand, were built like the Red Wings in which they can retool and reload, mainly to readjust to the shifting trends of the NBA. They're a well coached team that can do some readjustments on the fly, a well oiled machine that has a strong sense on continuity. But like the Red Wings, they rely so much on their veteran core that some many prospects have come and gone, often to flourish with other teams, and despite winning a championship a few years back, they still leaned on their big three of Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, things break down very badly when things go awry, as this past playoff series proved (their main issue this season was a slow starting offense in the beginning of games, which bites them in the ass).

There are also other issues as well that hamper my employment watching the Spurs, and its their local television commentating: Bill Land and especially Sean Elliott are fucking awful, some of the biggest elitist homers in the league (barring Houston, said to be worse but that's not here or there). I swear to God, Elliott, for all the good he did as a player for the team does deserve respect, is blathering idiot who often rants way too much, more so if the Spurs are losing to a team they should able beat. It already sounded pretty bad when up against Ralph Strangis and Razor, but with a national level talent like Dave Strader its just a huge downgrade in quality programming its depressing really. And that's not counting the cornball pre- and post-game shows, seriously can the painful one-liners from Ric Renner or the team ballwashing from John Oliver (not related to the John Oliver of Last Week Tonight), though Andrew Monaco is a cool guy (and go figure, he's a former hockey player).

And that's not even going into my frustration of not seeing shitheels like Westbrook who I just want someone to give good, hard crunching hit to into the boards, but such actions is not allowed in the NBA. Mind you, the Spurs had guys like good ol' dirty Bruce Bowen and the aforementioned Ginobili for his flopping, but Christ some guys in the league really need, need[/I] a good right cross to the jaw.

Short story: The Stars are a fun team to watch, with a good comentating (if still homerish) television crew who can both score and crush guys like Brad Marchand into boards (or drop the gloves for some good ol' fisticuffs), while the Spurs are (to me, at least) a fairly fun team to watch, but hampered with a shit TV crew and stuck in a league where stars can get away with flopping and barely anything can be done with it, except hope the refs allow both teams to play.

...Sorry for the rant.

Cake Boss

Banned
Ooff dat Weber contract.

Not a good playoffs for the so called defensive dman who are good at both ends of the ice. Doughboy and Weaber.

Cake Boss

Banned
Sam Cozentino (sp) mentioned that he walked into the coach's office early season and basically told him he was the captain

WzKQNoi.gif

The only 3 players in past 20 years to win both QMJHL regular season and playoff MVP awards are Crosby, Drouin and Perron.

POPEEE FRANCISSS!!

Aside from White and Chabot, hes the only decent prospect to get excited about.

Foggy

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAHL/status/730183042141032449

So apparently Sonny Milano made it on Sportscenter a couple days ago. Neat-o.

Holy shit that Uncharted walking simulator thread is a graveyard on the first page.

Sometimes you simply watch cutscenes and have zero input whatsoever. The rest of the time you're being funnelled through intentionally frictionless scripted puzzles or button-tapping your way through automated platforming sequences. Technically you're still "playing" the game, but your agency is left out of your hands.

One of the most bewildering things I've ever read

Quick

Banned
Is uncharted 4 openish like Tomb Raider at all or have player progression, etc. Curious

Nope. It's pretty focused on story and generally linear.

It does have dialogue options at certain parts of the game, as well as some optional dialogue (tap triangle to talk) cues to add some uniqueness to it between players.

zroid

Banned
I love these Hungarian fans going crazy for a last minute goal on the US to prevent a shut out

they're so happy to lose 5-1! it sorta puts being a hockey fan into perspective. :')

meanwhile Canadians start to panic when Team Canada only wins by 1 goal

calder

Fuck me there was a story in the local paper about climate change and how it would impact western canada in the future and I read the comments on the story and now I yearn for the sweet release of death.

We're so fucking doomed. I have to pray most of those willfully, deliberately ignorant morons are just super old people willfully ignoring climate change and hope they will die off ASAP.

Cake Boss

Banned
Calder do you have the latest top 100 draft eligible prospect list from Corey Pronman? I believe it has an analysis of each prospect.

imBask

Banned
Fuck me there was a story in the local paper about climate change and how it would impact western canada in the future and I read the comments on the story and now I yearn for the sweet release of death.

We're so fucking doomed. I have to pray most of those willfully, deliberately ignorant morons are just super old people willfully ignoring climate change and hope they will die off ASAP.

Humanity isn't meant to live forever, we're nothing. I'm not saying it's okay to accelerate that process, but it's pretty much inevitable at this point so i'm not willing to live a miserable life to "save the earth"

just accept that replacing us by AI is the way to go

Ex-Machina pls

Top Bottom