• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

I'd like to protect:
Duchene
Landeskog
MacKinnon
Johnson
Barrie
Zadorov
Soderberg

But we have to protect NMC players:
Beauchemin
Iginla

Rantanen is safe with some technicality.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So teams are going to hide some kids in the minors this year so they don't become exposed to potential Vegas cherry picking right?

"We weren't responsible for the team leaving 20 years ago"

lololol

Weirdly, they chose the exact opposite city for that.

Yeah. 2.2m residents, 40m annual visitors, $500m US upfront, complete sellout of suites and 14k season seat commitments out of the gate and a brand new 17.5k seat arena.

Surely a plan for failure.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What was the question?

he quoted jeremy jacobs thrashing the quebec city bid because the city is a "small market" then said the dollar always fluctuates... so how confident can they be that they'll get a team when the market is going to be small and the dollar is always going to fluctuate especially when someone from the NHL is being so negatively outspoken like that :p

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
he quoted jeremy jacobs thrashing the quebec city bid because the city is a "small market" then said the dollar always fluctuates... so how confident can they be that they'll get a team when the market is going to be small and the dollar is always going to fluctuate especially when someone from the NHL is being so negatively outspoken like that :p
But there are other teams in Canada that are smaller market yet seem to do well??

If the Canucks sign Lucic to something short-term (he's only 27), I'd be okay with it. Then they'd compete for Nolan Patrick next year.

7 forwards&3 defensemen or EIGHT skaters?

that's so weird, so either you get to protect 7 forwards and 3 defensemen... or 8 forwards, essentially, as that's the only scenario where that's beneficial? am I misreading?

4 defencemen.

Quick

Banned
Quebec city is super redneck and racist, they don't exist

QC in a nutshell:

wU1NNUk.jpg

I've never been to Quebec City, sorry.

7 forwards&3 defensemen or EIGHT skaters?

that's so weird, so either you get to protect 7 forwards and 3 defensemen... or 8 forwards, essentially, as that's the only scenario where that's beneficial? am I misreading?

If you wanted to protect 4-5 dmen you would have to take the 2nd option.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If the Canucks sign Lucic to something short-term (he's only 27), I'd be okay with it. Then they'd compete for Nolan Patrick next year.

4 defencemen.

ah yeah I didn't think about it the other way around. Still seems weird that you'd get punished so much for that. Oh well.

Kifimbo

But there are other teams in Canada that are smaller market yet seem to do well??

Quebec City is much smaller than every other Canadian market, except Winnipeg (they are about equal GDP-wise). However, Winnipeg has a much richer owner, and they don't have to compete with another team within the same province.

Quick

Banned
Anyone asked the NHL where the CDN dollar needs to be for Quebec City to have a chance ?

The Quebec journalist sort of got into this, more the fact that the dollar is always fluctuating and when the NHL would think it's acceptable enough, or something along those lines.

So what the hell does this mean for prospects in the AHL and Junior leagues?

Last time expansion happened I was 7 but I also assume the rules have changed somewhat

calder

Anyone asked the NHL where the CDN dollar needs to be for Quebec City to have a chance ?

"Look, let's just say my opinion of the Canadian dollar is pretty dependent on a lot of factors, like market size, corporate support and on how that weird lawsuit with the Karmanos family plays out. So I can't give you a single figure and say that's the magic number."

ZeroGravity

The Quebec journalist sort of got into this, more the fact that the dollar is always fluctuating and when the NHL would think it's acceptable enough, or something along those lines.
Yeah, basically came off as "We'd prefer to keep Quebec open for possible relocation so here's a list of bullshit reasons why we can't give them an expansion team now."

Top Bottom