• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well it was certainly fucked up.
This remains one of the leagues biggest barriers, it's controlled by a league of old white men. For them to invite him and then not show him is completely indicative of the league as a whole. This is a league that lets Don Cherry remain on set every week to do his public xenophobic rants against every other hockey playing nation and the same guy who says the way Subban plays is wrong, but will praise Marchand, and they're perfectly okay with it.

This remains one of the leagues biggest barriers, it's controlled by a league of old white men. For them to invite him and then not show him is completely indicative of the league as a whole. This is a league that lets Don Cherry remain on set every week to do his public xenophobic rants against every other hockey playing nation and the same guy who says the way Subban plays is wrong, but will praise Marchand, and they're perfectly okay with it.

And it's not just the owners. So many people defend Cherry's stupid racist ass and it's a small minority that tries to call him on his shit.

I don't care if he is some type of national Canadian icon. Don Cherry is a piece of shit and is the perfect microcosm to summarize what is wrong with the NHL. The fact that he not only is a celebrated Canadian icon but also has a constant spotlight on him and has his own show is the exact reason the NHL is going to fall behind MLS and every other sport.

Fuck Don Cherry. Fuck Mike Babcock and his shitty book. Fuck the Avs.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So you guys are saying I fucked up and if I played my cards right I'd be getting free tickets to a shitload of NHL games?

Damn. :(

Quick

Banned
So you guys are saying I fucked up and if I played my cards right I'd be getting free tickets to a shitload of NHL games?

Damn. :(

Just talk about trying to tune into a Raptors game, but accidentally tuned into a Leafs game and just pretend not to understand anything.

Don't forget to throw a lot of slang and emojis.

It's lit, fam!

Foggy

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 6h6 hours ago
Kekalainen said #CBJ wouldn't trade No. 3 pick - even if offer is worthy - until first two players go off the board in Friday's first round.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 6m6 minutes ago
Many convinced #CBJ trading the No. 3 overall pick. It's all over the place across the league. Could Jarmo know something about the Finns?

Fuckin' straight basura

zroid

Banned
LAS VEGAS -- Tony X. sprang into popularity this year as the newest fan to the great sport of hockey and more specifically the St. Louis Blues. He was so popular (by NHL standards) that he was asked to attend to the NHL Awards in Las Vegas as a guest of the League. At 5:19am PT time, Mr. X tweeted out a picture of a Southwest ticket.

Sources close to the event were under the impression that Tony X's flight was cancelled. The same sources have been unsuccessful at getting in contact with Tony X today at all. They don't know if he made it to Vegas.

At 4:18pm PT the NHL's Twitter account reachout directly with the social media phenomenon. As of publication has not responded.

On the broadcast, host Will Arnett and model Erin Heatherton spoke of Tony's absence and introduced the hashtag #TONYMIA. Many assumed at first it was some joke by the producers of the show and Tony X would emerge at some point.

He didn't.

Everyone, including us and the NHL, are genuinely concerned about Tony X and his whereabouts. We can only hope that he made it to Vegas safe and sound and is having a wonderful time. On the NHL's dime.

We'll update this story as information becomes available.

Yawnier

Banned
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 6h6 hours ago
Kekalainen said #CBJ wouldn't trade No. 3 pick - even if offer is worthy - until first two players go off the board in Friday's first round.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 6m6 minutes ago
Many convinced #CBJ trading the No. 3 overall pick. It's all over the place across the league. Could Jarmo know something about the Finns?

Fuckin' straight basura

Makes me wonder how much the ownership in Columbus has to do with this

Foggy

Makes me wonder how much the ownership in Columbus has to do with this

That's my running pet theory. Helps explain why Jarmo is so good at drafting but so bad with contracts and some weird trades. I can see them wanting to reward sentimental guys like Foligno, Prout, and then Boll(before Jarmo's time). Consistent veiled whispers about an element of ownership overstepping their boundaries. But no one will go on record. Small market media and all that.

But who knows. I could be full of shit or Jarmo can be smart and hold fast. Bastard's gonna make me wait until he goes up to the podium though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Probably has to do with Laine's character.

For all the skill he has... being cocky and knowing he threatened a coach because he feels entitled can really scare a GM. Just look at how much the Leafs have had to do just to obliterate the shit that goes on in the dressing room.

I think maybe columbus wants puljujvari... and they may be getting the sense Winnipeg does too, because he fits them better.

Why wouldn't they just take Dubois if they were that turned off?

Cake Boss

Banned
The fuck is going on tonight

Yandle gets 7 years
Laine not going 2nd
NHL lost its marketing tool for the black community
MTL not nominating its own player who just gave $10million to the city

For all the skill he has... being cocky and knowing he threatened a coach because he feels entitled can really scare a GM. Just look at how much the Leafs have had to do just to obliterate the shit that goes on in the dressing room.

I think maybe columbus wants puljujvari... and they may be getting the sense Winnipeg does too, because he fits them better.

Why wouldn't they just take Dubois if they were that turned off?

Laine to Edmonton with McJesus :lol

Term is a little long, he'll be 36 at the end. AAV is less than expected was thinking at least 6.5 with years of 7 mixed in. With Campbell leaving and no ready successor, and he's a big upgrade, great to get the top D FA on the market.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The kicker on that Yandle contract (which is roughly what I expected in both term and price) is that it has a NMC for the first 6 years, partial no trade in the final year.

Yandle was a great asset to have, but I'm not sure I would want him as my franchise defenseman.

Samyy

The kicker on that Yandle contract (which is roughly what I expected in both term and price) is that it has a NMC for the first 6 years, partial no trade in the final year.

Yandle was a great asset to have, but I'm not sure I would want him as my franchise defenseman.

Pretty sure Ekblad is their franchise defencemen

Stasis

I'll miss Yandle (and Duclair, though I'm still happy we "went for it") but the last thing we need is another D with a long NMC that takes him through years he will possibly be in strong decline. Don't know if that will happen with Yandle, and I think he's gonna be a great fit in Florida... truly happy for you guys, just saying we have 2 of that already so I can see why we didn't. I also know he's a great team guy and much loved in the locker room. Really brings it.

As to us, well I'm sure we'll fuck up some other way. Asset management =/= Ranger strength. I'll be surprised as fuck if we come out of this off-season better than we went into it, tbh.

edit: thanks for the 4th! Maybe we can get lucky in the later rounds again. That's one thing we manage to do well semi-regularly at least!

Yeah, Cherry's xenophobia has really worn out its welcome, he doesn't even provide meaningful analysis in addition to that anymore. I'll be happy when he retires.

The way Subban gets treated is completely unjustified. He doesn't do anything wrong on or off the ice, he's actually one of the best role models in his community. Could you imagine if he did something like ROR and drove drunk? He wouldn't get away with it even if no one else was harmed.

And it's not just the owners. So many people defend Cherry's stupid racist ass and it's a small minority that tries to call him on his shit.

I don't care if he is some type of national Canadian icon. Don Cherry is a piece of shit and is the perfect microcosm to summarize what is wrong with the NHL. The fact that he not only is a celebrated Canadian icon but also has a constant spotlight on him and has his own show is the exact reason the NHL is going to fall behind MLS and every other sport.
Yup he gets way too much support, the Canadian icon angle definitely plays into it though. He is attached to HNIC's identity unfortunentely. I'm sure some of the people on Hockey Night will breathe a sigh of relief when he's gone.

Fuck Don Cherry. Fuck Mike Babcock and his shitty book. Fuck the Avs.

Yeah, fuck Don Cherry, fuck Babcock, fuck--Oh fight me, Fubar!

Yeah. I mean, I like that they really welcomed him into hockey, but it started turning into "look everyone, this guy* likes hockey!"

*black guy
I got a kick out of his initital tweets, who wouldn't? He showed genuine excitement for hockey, it was cool to see when previously, he had no exposure to hockey. Then the NHL ripped all the heart and soul out of it, clearly using him because of his race.

yyzjohn

Banned

For all the skill he has... being cocky and knowing he threatened a coach because he feels entitled can really scare a GM. Just look at how much the Leafs have had to do just to

Is this confirmed about the coach thing? Never heard the story.

Foggy

Is this confirmed about the coach thing? Never heard the story.

The official word is that no one knows, but the predominant assumption is that it had to do with ice time. Personally, I think it's a non-issue. I think it's great that he's not the latest Sportsman 5000 model robot.

MikeRahl

@TSNBobMcKenzie 35s35 seconds ago

I'm reasonably confident TOR will take Auston Matthews at No. 1. I'm not nearly as confident WPG will automatically take Patrik Laine at 2.

#closingthegap

Winnipeg is going to take Puljujärvi 2nd overall and everyone is going to go nuts.

And then they will show this

451650248.jpg

and they will announce that Winnipeg has traded for the 3rd overall and will be taking Laine after all.

Top Bottom