• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Yawnier

Banned
@Aportzline

#CBJ also have spoken to #Leafs and #NHLJets about moving up in the draft order. Price for No.1 pick steep, but not like McDavid last year.

Yeah Lumbus, you wouldn't want to pay Godfather Lou the price he wants for that pick.

imBask

Banned
checking out the 2016 movie thread, I think I might be going crazy. The Witch was so fucking bad, what am I missing here, is it a meme or something?

Calamari41

41 > 38
checking out the 2016 movie thread, I think I might be going crazy. The Witch was so fucking bad, what am I missing here, is it a meme or something?

You're not intelligent enough to have understood the movie. It's ok, it isn't your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. We will always be proud of you, and you will always be a winner in my eyes.

Cake Boss

Banned
You're not intelligent enough to have understood the movie. It's ok, it isn't your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. We will always be proud of you, and you will always be a winner in my eyes.

Fuck yeah I liked The Witch, it had great tension and great depiction of a Witch that was not cartoony.

imBask

Banned

Fuck yeah I liked The Witch, it had great tension and great depiction of a Witch that was not cartoony.

I didn't go in expecting a cartoony movie at all, but everyone sold it as the greatest horror movie of all time... I'm not sure if it was even a horror movie at all. The cinematography was nice, everything else bored me to death and I had to fight to stay awake through the payoff that was predictable as fuck

Calamari41

41 > 38
I didn't go in expecting a cartoony movie at all, but everyone sold it as the greatest horror movie of all time... The cinematography was nice, everything else bored me to death and I had to fight to stay awake through the payoff that was predictable as fuck

People who tried to sell it as a straight horror movie did it a disservice, I will give you that.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wait, so should I watch The Witch?

I think its worth a watch on the chance that it resonates with you. But it isn't a "horror" movie, it is a paranoid period piece with horror elements. It's the kind of movie you have to allow yourself to get immersed in. If you check your phone every ten minutes and get up to make dinner halfway through, it will be lost on you.

imBask

Banned
People who tried to sell it as a straight horror movie did it a disservice, I will give you that.

The setting also killed it for me, I can't stand this 17th century setting and the religious undertone throughout the whole thing, I just can't give a fuck about any of this. Religion is inexistent around me ( and it has nothing to do with being edgy or whatever, it just isn't present AT ALL ), so I guess I also had a hard time connecting with that

also one of my colleague told me (after i've seen it) that people were walking out of the theater when he saw it... Hence why i'm so confused about the love for that movie today

Curufinwe

Let's all get on Don Sweeney's Wild Ride.

A 3rd for Rinaldo...

mr-burns-laughing.gif

Foggy

The Witch is great. Cool performances, great atmosphere, simple story. For whatever reason, there's still a significant portion of people who think that a horror movie has failed if it didn't scare you.

And yes, it's a horror movie.

I think its worth a watch on the chance that it resonates with you. But it isn't a "horror" movie, it is a paranoid period piece with horror elements. It's the kind of movie you have to allow yourself to get immersed in. If you check your phone every ten minutes and get up to make dinner halfway through, it will be lost on you.

I'll check it out, I like movies that build up tension

imBask

Banned
The Witch is great. Cool performances, great atmosphere, simple story. For whatever reason, there's still a significant portion of people who think that a horror movie has failed if it didn't scare you.

And yes, it's a horror movie.

Horror = tension

I got no tension for the first hour or so, the last 20 minutes created a dent in my flatline

Cake Boss

Banned
Not liking a movie with mitigated audience review on RT and IMDB is the exact opposite of being edgy. If anything, praising this movie is edgy

Nope. You tend to come in here and tell us how a popular opinion that's somewhere in OT and Gaming with how you don't follow such opinion. That's cool and edgy.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Not liking a movie with mitigated audience review on RT and IMDB is the exact opposite of being edgy. If anything, praising this movie is edgy

I'm not going to go down that line, but can you tell me a scene from a horror movie that you consider to be tense? Just so that I know what angle you're coming from when you say that you didn't consider an extended sequence in which
an infant is kidnapped, sacrificed, visibly ground into mush, and then had the mush used in a sexual ritual
to be tense.

imBask

Banned
Nope. You tend to come in here and tell us how a popular opinion that's somewhere in OT and Gaming with how you don't follow such opinion. That's cool and edgy.

Point taken.
I'll start posting more about stuff I like

Overwatch is my GOTY
Zelda looks dope
Fast and Furious is a great franchise
Christopher Nolan is the best

I'm not going to go down that line, but can you tell me a scene from a horror movie that you consider to be tense? Just so that I know what angle you're coming from when you say that you didn't consider an extended sequence in which
an infant is kidnapped, sacrificed, visibly ground into mush, and then had the mush used in a sexual ritual
to be tense.

I don't know, that did nothing for me. The walking in It Follows is tense, it's coming, it's scary, it doesn't stop and you can feel it. That specific scene you're talking about was pretty alright, it just didn't grab me at all

Calamari41

41 > 38
I don't know, that did nothing for me. The walking in It Follows is tense, it's coming, it's scary, it doesn't stop and you can feel it. That specific scene you're talking about was pretty alright, it just didn't grab me at all

That's interesting, because most of It Follows did nothing for me after the first few scenes with the monster.

Foggy

Horror = tension

I got no tension for the first hour or so, the last 20 minutes created a dent in my flatline

Horror can be defined by tension but there's a billion ways to present horror. Hell, the entire history of EC comics up until the Tales From the Crypt series shows how great horror can be without indulging tension or traditional scares. I would just say you have a narrow paradigm of what horror is. Which is fine. Not everyone needs to invest themselves so heavily in a given thing.

imBask

Banned
That's interesting, because most of It Follows did nothing for me after the first few scenes with the monster.

i'm pretty sure it's all about the setting. I'm wondering if It Follows would've grabbed me if it was set in the 17th century, and the answer is probably no

Also semi-related I've been on a quest to watch every slasher from the 80s, i'm not at Halloween 4 and Friday The 13th part 3. Once i'm done with those i'll go for Hellraiser and Nightmare on Elm Street. Halloween 1 was so god damn good

zroid

Banned
lol amazing

I reached out to Tony to find out what the heck happened, and this is what he told me.

Apparently, he was originally scheduled to fly out of St. Louis at 6 a.m. and he missed his flight. (The photo he uploaded of his Southwest ticket was posted at 5:19 a.m.) The next flight available after that was for 1:55 p.m., which would have him land in Vegas around 3:30 p.m.

He left the airport to go home for a few hours before that flight, but ultimately fell asleep and ended up oversleeping and missing the second flight as well. After that, he knew he wasn’t going to be able to make it to the show. He never stepped foot in Vegas.

Tony said he “feels terrible” about the whole thing, but the truth is he didn’t miss much. The awards show was a pretty awful production that may have done more harm than good for his #brand. Still, I’m sure it would have been nice to spend some time in Sin City on the NHL’s dime.

Quick

Banned
Heard back from the place I interviewed for two weeks ago, and I didn't get the job. My car also needs $400 in parts and repairs. I guess the parts and repairs could've been more expensive

Good way to start the weekend.

Might watch Independence Day later.

Top Bottom