• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Solo

Bergevin speaking with the media at 5:30, wonder what he'll be talking about.

"Being a GM is hard. Top 6 talent isnt available through trades* or free agency** and drafting is hard***. We are happy with our core and a healthy Carey Price**** and are thus bowing out of the off-season."

*conveniently forgets that Tyler Seguin was traded
** conveniently forgets that Stamkos is available
*** conveniently forgets all the teams that consisently draft better than us because Timmins had a great draft 9 years ago
**** translation: "once again we are counting on Carey Price to win us games"

Our GM and braintrust suck.

"Being a GM is hard. Top 6 talent isnt available through trades* or free agency** and drafting is hard***. We are happy with our core and a healthy Carey Price and are thus bowing out of the off-season."

*** conveniently forgets all the teams that consisently draft better than us because Timmins had a great draft 9 years ago

Our GM sucks.
Take solace he's not Benning.

Quick

Banned
I kinda hope PK is moved just for the meltdowns. He's a good defenseman, but unlike Red I dont see him as a franchise player and certainly not a a Top 2 D in the league. Top 10-15? Sure.

VzV1mIV.gif

Bruh what

Is it because PK's black? Not even joking, is this why people undervalue him?

Solo

VzV1mIV.gif

Bruh what

Is it because PK's black? Not even joking, is this why people undervalue him?

I don't undervalue PK; I just don't overvalue him. Like I said, he's definitely in the top 10-15 range of defencemen in the world. But to say he's the 2nd best d-man in the world when his own country can't fit him into their roster? Bruh.

calder

Subban trade would be amazing on so many levels (but shitty for Habs fans because there is no way they'd get fair value for him) but a trade to the CANUCKS would be unbelievable.

Actually, never mind, there IS one way for the Habs to get something like market value for PK Subban, and that way is "arrange to have Jim Benning on the other end of the call".

Solo

Subban trade would be amazing on so many levels (but shitty for Habs fans because there is no way they'd get fair value for him) but a trade to the CANUCKS would be unbelievable.

They could get fair value, just not equivalent value. They aren't trading him 1:1 for another D-man of his calibre, but depending on the team they could stockpile the offensive cupboard for years to come, and Habs desperately need offence. We can't score and it's by far the greatest weakness on the team.

He's not getting traded, so its a rather irrelevant discussion anyways, but I'm certainly open to the idea if the offer were intriguing.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Subban has been one of the top 5 D in the league in almost every statistical category possible and is the definition of a franchise player, and if you can't see that there's no helping you.

imBask

Banned
They could get fair value, just not equivalent value. They aren't trading him 1:1 for another D-man of his calibre, but depending on the team they could stockpile the offensive cupboard for years to come, and Habs desperately need offence. We can't score and it's by far the greatest weakness on the team.

He's not getting traded, so its a rather irrelevant discussion anyways, but I'm certainly open to the idea if the offer were intriguing.

yeah we'll look real good with a first pairing of Beaulieu - Petry next year once Markov is gone and Subban is traded

you can't trade a #1 D, you just don't.

I would trade Price before Subban

Solo

An Avalanche fan on HFBoards said he didn't want Subban because of attitude problems. WHAT ATTITUDE PROBLEMS? Some people...

To be fair, I tend to think that where there's smoke there's fire. I do think Subban rubs a LOT of people the wrong way. There's a reason why he's routinely snubbed by team Canada despite his talents. There's a reason why, after donating $10M to Montreal Children's Hospital, his own teammates voted against him to be their nominee for the humanitarian award, despite the fact that he should have won in a landslide. There's a reason they voted an actual crash test dummy Captain instead of the fiery, charismatic Subban.

Cake Boss

Banned
"Being a GM is hard. Top 6 talent isnt available through trades* or free agency** and drafting is hard***. We are happy with our core and a healthy Carey Price**** and are thus bowing out of the off-season."

**** translation: "once again we are counting on Carey Price to win us games"

Our GM and braintrust suck.

41923-brutal-savage-rekt.gif

Foggy

I'm sure the "garbage ass team in the middle of nowhere" tax factors into some of these negotiations as well.

It's most amusing when you look at how eager they were to hand out those contracts while playing bad cop/bad cop with Johansen's contract. Character guys who "fit the culture" seem to get the easiest and least earned contracts.

Also the picture looks a little more grim than it needs to be because of the Horton/Clarkson freak incident as well as the low point totals over 3 seasons is in particular due to a season completely lost due to injuries.

Quick

Banned
I don't undervalue PK; I just don't overvalue him. Like I said, he's definitely in the top 10-15 range of defencemen in the world. But to say he's the 2nd best d-man in the world when his own country can't fit him into their roster? Bruh.

I'm not gonna argue Subban's worth within the scale of world rankings, but I'm really confused as to why he isn't seen as a franchise player.

Dude's hitting his prime and has already put up top-tier numbers (advanced stats aside maybe - zroid?), and while it isn't a measure of overall career success, he has a Norris under his belt too.

And while Team Canada in Sochi was clearly stacked with top end talent, that wasn't wholly the reason why he wasn't ultimately playing.

Red_Man

The PK attitude complaints still boggles my mind. And so many people buy into it.
Hockey is an old time white guy sport, the narrative is so easy and PK is such an outlier in his own sport, it's a lot easier to peg him as selfish and an asshole then it is to check your own damaged perceptions, the league needs a lot more of PKs, not less.

imBask

Banned
I'm not gonna argue Subban's worth within the scale of world rankings, but I'm really confused as to why he isn't seen as a franchise player.

Dude's hitting his prime and has already put up top-tier numbers (advanced stats aside maybe - zroid?), and while it isn't a measure of overall career success, he has a Norris under his belt too.

And while Team Canada in Sochi was clearly stacked with top end talent, that wasn't wholly the reason why he wasn't ultimately playing.

But he is. The vocal minority of old farts in our media are just yelling louder than everyone else

I highly highly doubt that Subban is even realistically on the table for a trade. People just like stirring shit up with talk like this.

It is fun to think about though.

imBask

Banned
I highly highly doubt that Subban is even realistically on the table for a trade. People just like stirring shit up with talk like this.

It is fun to think about though.

I'd agree with you, but Bergevin/Therrien have proven to be insane countless times already

Like, at this point I have 0 doubt in my mind that Desharnais will be the #1 center by November again, i've lost all faith in them

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hockey is an old time white guy sport, the narrative is so easy and PK is such an outlier in his own sport, it's a lot easier to peg him as selfish and an asshole then it is to check your own damaged perceptions, the league needs a lot more of PKs, not less.

Word

imBask

Banned

PK would be the calm one in the NBA or the NFL, the NHL is really conservative

Quick

Banned

Should have donated $11 million to the hospital. Classless.

Line_HTX

Maybe I don't watch enough Habs games but I don't remember looking at PK and thinking attitude problems...

Fucking Fata, goddamnit, lol

To be fair, I tend to think that where there's smoke there's fire. I do think Subban rubs a LOT of people the wrong way. There's a reason why he's routinely snubbed by team Canada despite his talents. There's a reason why, after donating $10M to Montreal Children's Hospital, his own teammates voted against him to be their nominee for the humanitarian award, despite the fact that he should have won in a landslide. There's a reason they voted an actual crash test dummy Captain instead of the fiery, charismatic Subban.

His teammates are assholes.

Google "Hockey player donates" and it's practically 6 straight pages of him with "NHL donates" every so often and a mention of Iginla donating $2k/goal to his charity. I don't care if he rubs people the wrong way, dude pledged $10 million over 7 years. The award wasn't "do you want to grab a beer with him" or "do you think he'd make a good friend".

Quick

Banned
Maybe I don't watch enough Habs games but I don't remember looking at PK and thinking attitude problems...

Fucking Fata, goddamnit, lol

Degrading a teammate by making him reach down for a high five, like a child:

tumblr_lk4nq1GCgd1qdm94a.gif

Attempting to injure a teammate:

F7Kbb52.gif

The list goes on.

Holiday

Banned
I don't want any part of Edmonton. Trading Subban to Edmonton for any of Hall, Eberle, etc. essentially makes the Habs the new Oilers.
I would stay away too if I were Montreal, just curious because I'd expect them to be most interested if Subban is available.

imBask

Banned
Fucking Therrien told them to stop the triple low-five too. WHYYYYYYYY

THEY'RE CELEBRATING A WIN

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT

BURN IT ALL DOWN

Red_Man

PK would be the calm one in the NBA or the NFL, the NHL is really conservative
Seriously, the way he handles all the shit he has to put up with is really admirable, I'd be way more petty if I was in his position.

zroid

Banned

fancystats love Subban

Solo

I guess that to me it comes down to a player's impact and the effect their absence creates. Carey Price is the team, for better or for worse. When he went down the season was over. He *is* the franchise. Which is fucking sad when your entire team's fate is on one man's shoulders. PK is definitely a cornerstone for a franchise, but I don't think he's the key cog in winning a Stanley Cup.

This is why the Habs are so fucked - they've put all their eggs in Carey Price's basket.

Red_Man

If people think last season was bad, losing PK under Therrien would guarantee us a lottery team as long as he coached here.

fancystats love Subban
Yea, but team Canada didn't choose him, the same one that choose Chris fucking Kunitz to be on the Olympic team. Must be awful.

dem

@GeorgesLaraque

Someone around the Oilers organization just confirmed to me that the Canadiens asked for Draisaitl and the 4 pick for Subban!
2:20 PM - 23 Jun 2016

Red_Man

Oilers would have done that on the spot if they actually offered it, and I'm pretty sure If the deal was with Edmonton it would start with Hall, not another centre.

imBask

Banned
Hall, Draisaitl, 4th overall and more picks

Team always overpay for a superstar, I don't see why our offer should be any lower than that

Top Bottom