• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

calder

Whoa @ the 61% drop in playoff ratings

Whoa whoa whoa

Obviously, the lack of Canadian teams plays a part, but 61%!?!?!?!

The article on Globe and Mail (assuming that's where you saw it) had a good theory that while the simple lack of Canadian teams is the obvious huge factor, the way all seven of them were eliminated weeks before the end of the season was also a big part of the drop as it made casual hockey fans in Canada stop watching long ago. Seemed logical to me.

Erdrick

I'm not interested in the playoffs unless my team is in it. I've moved on to Baseball until October hits or so. The only NHL teams that I even remotely have paid any attention to since the playoffs started were the Hawks and the Wings. Both look to be making their exit soon, anyway.

Just start the draft already.

The article on Globe and Mail (assuming that's where you saw it) had a good theory that while the simple lack of Canadian teams is the obvious huge factor, the way all seven of them were eliminated weeks before the end of the season was also a big part of the drop as it made casual hockey fans in Canada stop watching long ago. Seemed logical to me.

Hockey News. Though I remember that Globe piece too. I think that one actually mentions that ratings dropped last year as well.

While I enjoy mocking the awful, awful, awful Sportsnet productions, I think it's more:

i) the poor performance of Canadian teams (particularly Montreal and Toronto)
ii) the recent ascendancy of the Raptors and Blue Jays and
iii) the decline in quality of NHL hockey.

trifelife

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

DEMKOOOO

Okay does that mean we can get rid of Miller now or are we adding Markstrom to our bust list

Two AHL seasons minimum, probably. The Twitter handle has a 1 at the end of it. Suspicious?

Getting anything for Millsy would be great though. There should be cap space to potentially retain some salary. Sign whoever so Markstrom can play 60 games.

Do it.

Socreges

Banned
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

DEMKOOOO

Okay does that mean we can get rid of Miller now or are we adding Markstrom to our bust list
DEMKOOOOO

Will await confirmation.

Markstrom will be backup next year and may even get the majority of the games. If he does well with more responsibility and Demko does well in the AHL, Miller goes to UFA and Demko gets the backup spot.

yyzjohn

Banned
Saving a spot in here since the Hawks are done. They aren't coming back from down 3-1 the way they're playing.

We've seen this rope-a-dope before from you guys. Get everyone all excited that maybe they'll be a new champ this year and then BAM, you troll all other fans. I'm not counting out Chicago just yet.

Hockey News. Though I remember that Globe piece too. I think that one actually mentions that ratings dropped last year as well.

While I enjoy mocking the awful, awful, awful Sportsnet productions, I think it's more:

What do you mean with iii?

yyzjohn

Banned

If the Jays have taught us anything, it's even people who haven't ever cared or watched baseball in 20 years can suddenly be huge fans, hockey has nothing to worry about. Once the Canadian teams are better, ratings will be huge again (in Canada anyway)

Socreges

Banned
If the Jays have taught us anything, it's even people who haven't ever cared or watched baseball in 20 years can suddenly be huge fans, hockey has nothing to worry about. Once the Canadian teams are better, ratings will be huge again (in Canada anyway)
Yup.

And once the Jays are no longer contenders, the majority of fans will slink back to hockey.

Demko should sign here. There's no one else in the pipeline, and after seeing how Schneider turned out, he should be encouraged.

Miller and Markstrom will split duties next year, then Demko will come up in 2017-18 as the backup (or spend another year in the AHL while the Canucks sign a veteran to backup Markstrom). Either way he'll have a shot at the starter's job in a few years.

My butt has been bleeding. I go to my doc's on Friday. Hopefully it is just hemorrhoids.

Anyone have any experience with this annoying issue before?

Samyy

My butt has been bleeding. I go to my doc's on Friday. Hopefully it is just hemorrhoids.

Anyone have any experience with this annoying issue before?

It happened to me once at a point where basically I was just sitting on my ass all day.

Once I started walking more and exercising its never come back. Also drink more water.

It happened to me once at a point where basically I was just sitting on my ass all day.

Once I started walking more and exercising its never come back.

Well that is the one thing that does worry me, is that it has gotten better but slowly. It has been about a week.

The Fix is in, we all know who's winning Matthews and it's Edmonton

Montreal hasn't won a 1st overall pick since....Guy Lafleur.

Toronto hasn't won 1st overall pick since Wendel Clark.

I'm okay with Toronto winning Matthews. Just let Montreal have Laine or Puljujärvi.

ALSO:

Our first round draft picks the 3 last times we did not make the playoffs.

(Including 04-05)

04-05: Carey Price

06-07: Ryan McDonagh and Pacioretty

11-12: Alex Galchenyuk

Trust in Timmins.

imBask

Banned
so I was in the bathroom at work, 2 guys from another company that's in the building come in, one goes to the urinal and the other one in a stall to take a dump both they keep talking about the project they're working on. The guy taking a shit even talks while AUDIBLY forcing the poop out

who does that, why, how

Quick

Banned
so I was in the bathroom at work, 2 guys from another company that's in the building come in, one goes to the urinal and the other one in a stall to take a dump both they keep talking about the project they're working on. The guy taking a shit even talks while AUDIBLY forcing the poop out

who does that, why, how

"So, Bob from accountIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIng is crunching the nUUUUUMMMMMMMMbers right now on setting up this project." *poop plop*

My two co-workers are arguing over email etiquette. One is giving out the other's email address to everyone. The other gets emails addressed to the one, and he'd forward it to him. One talks to the other and tells him what to reply to the sender. There was even a point where one was using the other's email directly (password has been changed since)

It's stupid and another fire I have to put out here. In some ways, it's funny how stupid this situation is, like straight out of a sitcom.

who does that, why, how

I've noticed that the older someone is, the less private they are in the work washroom.

That situation has happened to me. As in, I walked to the washroom with a coworker, talking about work, I stopped the convo when I go to take a leak, he started it up again mid-crunch.

The sad thing is, imbask, that you're going to get used to it. And then one day you catch yourself describing a project milestone whilst pinching a loaf.

imBask

Banned
I've noticed that the older someone is, the less private they are in the work washroom.

That situation has happened to me. As in, I walked to the washroom with a coworker, talking about work, I stopped the convo when I go to take a leak, he started it up again mid-crunch.

The sad thing is, imbask, that you're going to get used to it. And then one day you catch yourself describing a project milestone whilst pinching a loaf.

I doubt it, I can barely pee with people around. Bathrooms should always be personal and locked, this is my safe haven and I want my time alone

Mike Chambers posting about Barrie's +/- like it's a stat that actually matters. Mike Chambers.
giphy.gif

who does that, why, how

In the bathroom just washing your hands and two commies....employees walk in.

calder

Watching some of the U18 Canada - Finland game from last night.

Chychrun and Fabbro are real gud defencemen.

I will be disappointed as hell if/when the Jets slide down a spot or two in the draft, but I've really been talking myself into Fabbro. He should be available around where the Jets will be picking if we don't win a top 3 spot, and everything I read about him makes me more interested. Dude even has a cool name.

A couple of weeks from now the draft lottery will be done and the final pre-draft rankings will start coming out. Can't wait tbh.

Curufinwe

I will be disappointed as hell if/when the Jets slide down a spot or two in the draft, but I've really been talking myself into Fabbro. He should be available around where the Jets will be picking if we don't win a top 3 spot, and everything I read about him makes me more interested. Dude even has a cool name.

A couple of weeks from now the draft lottery will be done and the final pre-draft rankings will start coming out. Can't wait tbh.

Fabbro's ranked around 10 spots lower than the Jets pick, though.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247041

One of Juloevi and Sergachyov should be there when the Jets pick.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

imBask

Banned
Here's my dream : I want Phil Kessel to draw the #1 pick ball and announce it, and as he says "The Edmonton Oilers" he laughs akwardly for a good 10 seconds

calder

^I kept thinking that Calder was just trying to be cool by spelling Robby Fabbri's name as Fabbro.

I wonder if Fabbro ever hears Fabbri jokes and is like who the fuck is that.

I'm talking Fabbro at pick 7 or 8 based mainly on talk recently that some guys have him creeping into the top 10. He's been impressive lately apparently, but yeah at that spot a guy like Chychrun could be available and would be a much easier pick.

One thing I noticed earlier today was how wide apart some of the pre-draft rankings are this year. There is always a lot of variation between top 15s (in large part because one site's rankings will be from December and one from last week) but this year there is no consensus at all after the big three at the top... and even they aren't unanimous. Seriously, what the fuck is going on at McKeen's??

MCKEEN'S HOCKEY TOP 30 - APRIL RANKING

1 Patrik Laine (RW/LW)
2 Auston Matthews (C)
3 Michael McLeod (C)
4 Jesse Puljujärvi (RW)
5 Olli Juolevi (D)
6 Matthew Tkachuk (LW)
7 Pierre-Luc Dubois (LW)
8 Alexander Nylander (RW/LW)
9 Mikhail Sergachyov (D)
10 Jakob Chychrun (D)

Wat. Is this a formatting error? A practical joke? Their head scout get concussed?

EDIT: I guess I can actually link to their post about their top 10. I'm not even as totally shocked by Laine (I'm so in on Laine, I know I sound crazy but he looks like Ovechkin sometimes) over Matthews as I am by Puljujarvi at 4.

Top Bottom