• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

iLLmAtlc

CmJrH1jWgAAn_8-.jpg

Welcome Shea.

Yannick wore this already >_>

Mentok

Banned
I just heard the news here at work. Holy fuck in a handbasket. Trade of the century. Habs just keep getting robed. Have we done a HabsGAF headcount? Everyone check in okay and alive??

Alive.....not okay. Not even close. I mean I don't believe the whole "Weber has lost his step and isn't elite", nor do I think it's an absolute fleecing.....but it definitely is unnecessary, does not improve the team, nor does it fill the glaring issues with this team.

I mean I thought I hated Therrien....but wow did Bergevin pull the greatest heel turn in hockey history.

calder

Bobby Mac on point right now on PK vs Shea. Good points about how media/fans view PK and Weber so differently from old school hockey guys.

And what the hell, Button sees it as a clear win for Preds.

The underreported aspect is the financial, Preds save some cash immediately but are on the hook for a huge cap recapture if Shea retires early.

Cactus

Banned
Weber is older and has a bad contract. He's a very good defenceman, but I wouldn't call him elite like PK. It was a very bad trade. The EDM trade was way worse, though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Still hasn't really hit me, probably won't until tomorrow. Left work early and bought a 24 pack, hopefully I wake up with a terrible hangover and a realization this was some nightmare.

Not sure how invested I can be in this team with these clowns running it, time to watch the MLS or something.

ZeroGravity

$8.5 million is elite money.
In the sense that scoring 35 goals in today's NHL qualifies as elite. The problem is, when people were going crazy about Stamkos becoming a UFA, they still had in their mind the same guy who scored 60 goals. He's not that player anymore, and I'm harsh on him because he should be. That doesn't mean I don't think he's still a very good player.

If anyone wants to find a post where I said the Lightning should unequivocally not re-sign Stamkos, be my guest. I've always wanted him to come back, but at a reasonable price that didn't cripple the team's future.

imBask

Banned
Still hasn't really hit me, probably won't until tomorrow. Left work early and bought a 24 pack, hopefully I wake up with a terrible hangover and a realization this was some nightmare.

Not sure how invested I can be in this team with these clowns running it, time to watch the MLS or something.

you should! join us in the american soccer thread dawg

No more like 5-6, hes going to get so exposed without Josi there.

we'll see, but I doubt it

Solo

See, my problem is not trading Subban. I've been open to the notion. My problem is

A) trading him and acquiring a guy who will fit MT's "system" better. First of all, this isn't Scott Bowman or Toe Blake, it's Michel Therrien, bona-fide worst coach in the NHL. In what world do you sacrifice your young #1 d man to appease an awful coach?

B) trading him and not getting a King's ransom in return. Subban 1:1 for Weber? Thats atrocious. I think almost any team in the league could have beat that, instead we got fleeced.

C) how MT and MN are "building" this team. It's like their both stuck in 1984, acquiring players with "grit" and "character" and players like Andrew Shaw who've won Cups despite contributing nothing in the winning of them. All the while shunning skill players and, you know, guys who can actually put the fucking puck in the net.

Fuck this team.

Parch

Surprised that Hall got traded instead of Yakupov.
Yakupov is worth nothing, especially when the Oilers want D. They're in a terrible position trying to move forwards for defencemen. The market just isn't there.

Good contract and there is some potential there with Larsson, but it's obvious the Oilers are taking all the risk and giving up guaranteed production. The trade sucks, but it's desperation time in Edmonton and something had to be done. More of the same isn't going to cut it.

I did have serious doubts about Hall anyway. I certainly hoped they could have gotten better value, but I'm not going to miss him. Oilers HAD to do something, but damn, that's a ridiculously hefty price to pay for some defensive improvement. Let's see how it works out, but it's virtually impossible for the Oilers to be worse than they have been.

Yep it's a lateral trade at best. You build around your best players.

It's like if Price was traded for Bishop.

And I guess Benning was right. Best $50,000 he ever spent.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yep it's a lateral trade at best. You build around your best players.

It's like if Price was traded for Bishop.

In what world is Weber at 31 is as good as Subban right now? Not to mention the age and the contract.

lol Price = Bishop now.

come on mang, I hate this team more than anyone else and not even my hatred can make me agree with that.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's incredible how many "Hockey ops" guys and old school reporters are coming out of the wood work to shit on Subban and say we won this trade. What a joke, Gord Miller said on the radio that Subban is in the 15-20 range for defenseman in the league and most hockey executives he spoke with agree. I don't even know what's real anymore.

It's incredible how many "Hockey ops" guys and old school reporters are coming out of the wood work to shit on Subban and say we won this trade. What a joke, Gord Miller said on the radio that Subban is in the 15-20 range for defenseman in the league and most hockey executives he spoke with agree. I don't even know what's real anymore.

#ImWithPK

Yawnier

Banned
So Taylor Hall is a bit miffed by the trade, like damn near every remaining Oilers fan out there. I don't expect Chiarelli to last long in Edmonton after this. He'll be run out of town faster than MacT could dream of.

It's interesting to see some Oilers fans start to turn on Chiapet. Most seemed to be happy with him until this trade today.

Not only is the straight trade bad for the Oilers, but to consider that the Chiapet just traded away the Oilers' most valuable, semi-expandable trade piece to acquire a top pairing D.

and on that topic Larsson just isn't a top pairing defenseman.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yikes. Those trades were crazy and not in a good way.

Also, LOL at Detroit not getting a shot at Stamkos. Time to overpay for Franz "Stephen Weiss" Nielsen!

Montresor

Correct. Nashville paid Weber $24.5M more than his cap hit. Whenever he retires, that $24.5M gets charged to Nashville over however many years are remaining on his contract.

But the whole point of that rule is the last few years are considered to be bogus years tacked on to reduced the cap hit.

If Weber plays all years except one, then the reduction in cap hit is almost minimal and you can barely call those extra years bogus.

It seems very unfair for Nashville to get a $24.5 million cap hit for one year, if Weber retires with one year left on the contract.

It's interesting to see some Oilers fans start to turn on Chiapet. Most seemed to be happy with him until this trade today.

Not only is the straight trade bad for the Oilers, but to consider that the Chiapet just traded away the Oilers' most valuable, semi-expandable trade piece to acquire a top pairing D.

and on that topic Larsson just isn't a top pairing defenseman.

I wonder though if acquiring Puljujarvi made Hall expendable? I would've thought RNH, Ebs or Yak would've been made expendable after that pick but certainly not Hall.

Unless they thought ahead of time and figured they wouldn't be able to afford Hall, McDavid and Puljujarvi down the road.

Fei

But the whole point of that rule is the last few years are considered to be bogus years tacked on to reduced the cap hit.

If Weber plays all years except one, then the reduction in cap hit is almost minimal and you can barely call those extra years bogus.

It seems very unfair for Nashville to get a $24.5 million cap hit for one year, if Weber retires with one year left on the contract.

I tend to agree, but it was intentionally harsh to punish those cap circumventing contracts. That's why so many of them were bought out when they could be for free.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's crazy to think the Leafs might actually have a better shot at winning a Stanley Cup before all the other Canadian teams.

I can live with this reality

The thing that really sucks is the Preds will have to deal with the bullshit that the Flyers forced on them.

Mentok

Banned

I've been reading a lot of reporters talk about how this is a terrible trade, both short and long term, for the Habs too though. If Bergevin doesn't win a cup within 2 years (probably not going to happen), this trade will the the "TSN turning point" to his firing. Therrien should be back on RDS Antichambre before the end of next season, or we riot.

Honestly, I may just not bother watching next season...that's how pissed I am right now.

EDIT: sadly Weber will probably receive some flak from the fans too, despite not deserving it.

zroid

Banned
Remember when we were talking about Tanev+ for Subban after the Benning stuff

err... I think Tanev is better than Weber

Top Bottom