• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Cactus

Banned
Wasn't the Weber deal originally an offer sheet by another team (PHI, I think)?

Not sure it's fair for NSH to get penalized. It's not like Poile and his management team crafted this contract.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Remember when we were talking about Tanev+ for Subban after the Benning stuff

err... I think Tanev is better than Weber

well as a Canucks fan, I'd do Tanev for Subban in a heartbeat too. It's not like that was ever on the table and we asked for more... it was just that Horvat, Tanev + 5th would've been waaaaay too much.

or do you mean YOU think Tanev is better than Weber? Because... I don't think so. He's good but I think Weber might still be better.

Yawnier

Banned
Well... He certainly is on the top pair in Edmonton!

Klefbom-Larsson

All Swedish top pairing lol

I wonder though if acquiring Puljujarvi made Hall expendable? I would've thought RNH, Ebs or Yak would've been made expendable after that pick but certainly not Hall.

Unless they thought ahead of time and figured they wouldn't be able to afford Hall, McDavid and Puljujarvi down the road.

Yeah... either way I expect that at least one more of RNH, EBs, or Yak, will be traded for more help on D this summer. RNH you think could bring in a top 4 defenseman but with the Chiapet I have no idea.

Montresor

The thing that really sucks is the Preds will have to deal with the bullshit that the Flyers forced on them.

Wasn't the Weber deal originally an offer sheet by another team (PHI, I think)?

Not sure it's fair for NSH to get penalized. It's not like Poile and his management team crafted this contract.

You guys are right.

You know what I wish there were more Preds fans. The complaints/backlash against this stupid fucking rule needs to be loud. What an unbelievable and unfair penalty to impose on a team that didn't create this contract in the first place.

I tend to agree, but it was intentionally harsh to punish those cap circumventing contracts. That's why so many of them were bought out when they could be for free.

It's crummy that the teams that cheated on purpose get away scott free via buyouts while Nashville will likely get penalized hard in a few years.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
CmJrH1jWgAAn_8-.jpg

Welcome Shea.

Good for all of the people who bought Yannick Weber jerseys.

It's interesting to see some Oilers fans start to turn on Chiapet. Most seemed to be happy with him until this trade today.

Not only is the straight trade bad for the Oilers, but to consider that the Chiapet just traded away the Oilers' most valuable, semi-expandable trade piece to acquire a top pairing D.

and on that topic Larsson just isn't a top pairing defenseman.

I honestly think trading Hall is the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people. Not only are people turning against Chiarelli because of this deal but there's also a noticeable amount of fans who are straight up giving up on this team like I did a while ago. I know my family will now be cheering for different teams moving forward.

And why shouldn't they? This is likely the winner for the stupidest and shittiest decision made by the team since 2006. And it was done by a GM people actually had faith in.

I wonder though if acquiring Puljujarvi made Hall expendable? I would've thought RNH, Ebs or Yak would've been made expendable after that pick but certainly not Hall.

Unless they thought ahead of time and figured they wouldn't be able to afford Hall, McDavid and Puljujarvi down the road.

No they didn't. Thinking they did at any point (or think at all for that matter) is giving the Oilers way more credit than they deserve.

zroid

Banned
well as a Canucks fan, I'd do Tanev for Subban in a heartbeat too. It's not like that was ever on the table and we asked for more... it was just that Horvat, Tanev + 5th would've been waaaaay too much.

or do you mean YOU think Tanev is better than Weber? Because... I don't think so. He's good but I think Weber might still be better.

Yeah, well, it's probably pretty close. Weber contributes a lot on the PP obviously, and he's good offensively, while Tanev doesn't produce anything. Tanev is one of the best defensive defencemen in the league, while Weber is kind of a tire fire. I probably lean toward Tanev because of age and money.

At least that would have made more sense, getting a move defensive guy, younger. They instead got older and worse.

yeah pretty much

Parch

For the record, I never said I was opposed to the Lightning re-signing Stamkos, or that he was "done." He just wasn't the kind of player who deserved 10+ million anymore. Yzerman signed him to exactly the right deal.
Tampa fans should be thrilled. That's a very reasonable contract for Stamkos. T&S suggesting that the PA is going to be pissed about that contract and Stamkos could have gotten a lot more on the open market.

calder

Shit, just switched to Tim & Sid and they did that thing where they talk seriously about the thing they are talking about but you can't tell what they were talking about and then they say they'll talk about it more tomorrow and now it's killing me what the fuck were the talking about.

zroid

Banned
Calgary should be good. They addressed their biggest weakness in a big way (Elliott). Their D is legit. Forwards are getting there, and they just picked up Tkachuk.

Kifimbo

In no way are the Leafs closer to contending than the Jets.

Of course, right now they are.

But the Jets are not actually close to winning the Cup. No Canadian team is. I'm just saying the only Canadian team with a chance to be great in the next 5-10 years is the Leafs.

iLLmAtlc

Knowing the NHL they're probably gonna forgive the Preds if the 2025 scenario comes to fruition. Like how they were all you can have your 1st round pick back Devils for no reason. 24 million on the cap would make it pretty much impossible to ice a team i think lol.

Yawnier

Banned
One of the things that would scare me about the Jets is the central division over the next several years. Even if the blackhawks cool down over the next few years that division is still relentless and stacked.

Cactus

Banned
Calgary should be good. They addressed their biggest weakness in a big way (Elliott). Their D is legit. Forwards are getting there, and they just picked up Tkachuk.
Lol, totally forgot about the Flames.

Not sold on their management, though

zroid

Banned
Knowing the NHL they're probably gonna forgive the Preds if the 2025 scenario comes to fruition. Like how they were all you can have your 1st round pick back Devils for no reason. 24 million on the cap would make it pretty much impossible to ice a team i think lol.

maybe... Preds are a budget team anyways and the Cap will probably go up a fair bit by then

might not be a huge deal

I wonder if it will end up being a sign and trade to Toronto for Stamkos. I'm excited about the possibility, but also very very scared about what we'd have to give up.

Smiley90

Good for all of the people who bought Yannick Weber jerseys.

How many times has it occurred that different players with the same last name have worn the same number on the same time? that's pretty funny

I wonder if it will end up being a sign and trade to Toronto for Stamkos. I'm excited about the possibility, but also very very scared about what we'd have to give up.

no it won't, stop it dopey

Kifimbo

After today, I can't say this can't happen, but the Lightning firmly denied this is a possibility.

Parch

Sure it did. Puljujarvi is another NHL ready winger. I think the Oilers tried to shop Nuge, Eberle, and Yak for d-men and were highly disappointed with what they could get.

I think McD, Pulju, Draisaitl, and Talbot were untouchable, so that leaves Hall as the only significant chip that could bring in defensive help of any significance. Now the Oilers are rumored to be the top candidate to sign Lucic, so that could be another reason that made Hall expendable.

I was certainly hoping Hall could have brought in more, but I'm not surprised he was the one to be moved.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Desharnais outlasted PK. How can anyone root for this fucking team.
I would have bet everything I owned against this happening.

I've been reading a lot of reporters talk about how this is a terrible trade, both short and long term, for the Habs too though. If Bergevin doesn't win a cup within 2 years (probably not going to happen), this trade will the the "TSN turning point" to his firing. Therrien should be back on RDS Antichambre before the end of next season, or we riot.

Honestly, I may just not bother watching next season...that's how pissed I am right now.
I don't hate Weber, but this is such a fucking dumb move that is shows Bergevin doesn't have what it takes to build a cup winning roster. He hasn't made a big move in his entire career here, and then goes and trades the face of a franchise and a generational player. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to watch next season, it's now a waiting game for all of management to be erased, just like Gauthier.

calder

If you match the sheet, you gotta take the heat.

Co-sign. Zero sympathy for teams that got or will get fucked on cap recapture after the league basically promised all the teams it would be happening in the next CBA once the cap avoidance deals started. Be mad at the asshole who made the shitty offer sheet by all means, but you still matched that shit.

I'm surprised Yzerman would be willing to take the hit on the cap when there are people who need to be paid. Or that Stammer would be willing to play for Cooper again when they don't really get along, that's a LONG time to stick with a team when you don't really like or trust the coach.

Smiley90

Benning should appeal to the NHL to have his fine reduced

just for shits and giggles

Parch

I'm surprised Yzerman would be willing to take the hit on the cap when there are people who need to be paid.
At that price they definitely should be happy with the Stamkos contract. That had to be the difference between staying and walking. Tampa wasn't going to pay market price, but they worked out a good deal that made it work. If they end up losing others, so be it. Keeping Stamkos is worth it.

Parch

WE heard rumblings towards the trade deadline about RNH for Hamonic but that was when Hamonic still had his trade request active and before RNH got hurt.
I never believed it then, definitely not now if Isles turned down Hall for Harmonic.

I shudder to think what type of defenceman the Oil were offered for Nuge. Probably turds.

Top Bottom