• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Detroit:

All draft picks intact except for this year's 3rd rounder.

Zetterberg is signed for 5 more years at $6M per, and he's 36 in October.

Nyquist scored 17 goals this year, down from 28 and 27 in the past two seasons. He's only 26 and has 3 more years at $4.75M. Not a bad contract if he can bounce back.

Abdelkader, holy cow. 7 years at $4.25M per, and he's already 29. His career high in goals is 23.

Their defence is old. Green is 30, Kronwall 35, Ericsson 32 (and signed for 4 more years).

Howard is 32 and signed for 3 more years at $5.3M per. He has a modified NTC so he's almost impossible to move.

Franzen on LTIR, $4M cap hit, 4 more years, and he's 37 this year. I think he's going to retire.

They have almost $17M in cap space for next year and all their early draft picks so things don't look too bad. But that playoff streak is probably going to end until they can draft some top players (or their prospects take a huge step forward).

Scout for McKeens...

Lol come on

Laine is going to be hella good.

But anybody with half a brain will still pick Matthews. Can't have a 60 goal scorer with nobody to pass to him, which is the majority of the lottery teams.

Detroit:

All draft picks intact except for this year's 3rd rounder.

Zetterberg is signed for 5 more years at $6M per, and he's 36 in October.

Nyquist scored 17 goals this year, down from 28 and 27 in the past two seasons. He's only 26 and has 3 more years at $4.75M. Not a bad contract if he can bounce back.

Abdelkader, holy cow. 7 years at $4.25M per, and he's already 29. His career high in goals is 23.

Their defence is old. Green is 30, Kronwall 35, Ericsson 32 (and signed for 4 more years).

Howard is 32 and signed for 3 more years at $5.3M per. He has a modified NTC so he's almost impossible to move.

Franzen on LTIR, $4M cap hit, 4 more years, and he's 37 this year. I think he's going to retire.

They have almost $17M in cap space for next year and all their early draft picks so things don't look too bad. But that playoff streak is probably going to end until they can draft some top players (or their prospects take a huge step forward).

They obviously need defensive help, and will probably draft someone good there this year, but the combination of Nyquist/Larkin/Mantha (if he continued to develop) is a very, very solid offensive core going forward. Mrazek could be the type of goalie to offset whatever defensive woes the team has, but like you said Howard and his cap hit is going to severely put a damper on that. Abdelkader is just :lol though.

Curufinwe

Scout for McKeens...

Lol come on

It's perfectly reasonable to think Laine could be a better player than Matthews. Just like Ovechkin is better than Malkin. His size and goal scoring ability at 17 are incredible, and those two traits are even more coveted nowadays when it's so damn difficult to score goals.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's perfectly reasonable to think Laine could be a better player than Matthews. Just like Ovechkin is better than Malkin. His size and goal scoring ability at 17 are incredible, and those two traits are even more coveted nowadays when it's so damn difficult to score goals.
I don't question picking him over Matthews, but saying he can score 60 is ridiculous and unnecessary hyperbole.

Curufinwe

I'd agree 60 is super unlikely for anyone unless there are significant rule changes.

I saw a proposal to do away with OZ draws and just give the puck to the attacking team recently. Stuff like that could help.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Despite putting the NHL behind every sport, probably curling too for all I know, I want to wish Kave_Man a happy birthday!

Happy birthday to you too, Marvie!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Toronto will have a dire need for centres since they are projected to have Stamkos, Tavares, Kadri and Nylander down the middle. So I'd be okay with drafting Laine. /s
You forgot McDavid will refuse to report to Edmonton and will demand a trade to Toronto next season (e5).

Duchene will also be coming for Lupul, Bozak, and a conditional 5th (e5)

I'd agree 60 is super unlikely for anyone unless there are significant rule changes.

I saw a proposal to do away with OZ draws and just give the puck to the attacking team recently. Stuff like that could help.

Yeah that would. Also having the powerplay last a full two minutes no matter if they score already or not would help as well. Really, really hammer it in that penalties shouldn't be taken. That plus having the refs actually start calling interference calls like they should would no doubt add at least one or two goals a game on average.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks could probably pick Laine over Matthews but I'd be extremely happy with either one.

But we'll pick 6th so it wont matter

I really don't want Radulov still. Not last time, not this time.

This is probably happening.
2mAWRUS.png

Besides the leadership part.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of want the Leafs to pick 2nd or 3rd just to see Don Cherry shit his pants over a young Leafs core of mostly European players.
He's already shit on Americans as well. I think he'd only be happy if we took Chychrun and even then he's American BUT wanted to play for Canada so that may be ok?

Yawnier

Banned
I kind of want the Leafs to pick 2nd or 3rd just to see Don Cherry shit his pants over a young Leafs core of mostly European players.

There really is no pleasing Cherry with whoever the leafs pick, he'll find something dumb to complain about.

He wasn't even happy with the Marner pick last year, and that is as close to a Good Local Toronto kid who played in the GTHL drafted at the top of the draft that the leafs will probably ever pick.

Socreges

Banned
Canucks could probably pick Laine over Matthews but I'd be extremely happy with either one.

But we'll pick 6th so it wont matter
I think we'll pick 4th or 5th. 6th would require that neither the Leafs nor Oilers, nor the Canucks, made it into the top 3. That's possible but unlikely.

Auston Bustthews and Bustrik Laine aren't going to be any good, regardless.

Why would they? They need a #1 centre to replace Henrik eventually.
Agreed. We have good center youth, but no #1. Matthews over Laine for sure.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
There really is no pleasing Cherry with whoever the leafs pick, he'll find something dumb to complain about.

He wasn't even happy with the Marner pick last year, and that is as close to a Good Local Toronto kid who played in the GTHL drafted at the top of the draft that the leafs will probably ever pick.
I don't recall him complaining about the Marner pick...?

As for good ol TRONNA boy, we picked Brad Boyes and Carlo Coliacovo

He does complain about Nylander though. WE COULD'VE HAD NICK RITCHIE!!!!!!!!!!

Yawnier

Banned
I don't recall him complaining about the Marner pick...?

He thought the leafs should have picked Good Boston Kid Noah Hanifin instead of Marner and he was wary of Marner's size as well despite watching him in midget hockey.

I remember him going on a twitter or HNIC rant about it last year.

imBask

Banned
I wanna find every fucker who argued violently that you could turn off the motion controls when Nintendo was being super dodgy about it

hqdefault.jpg

Red_Man

I keep having nightmare thoughts about Subban being traded to Edmonton for their top pick and it makes me want to vomit

Red_Man

You wouldn't take Matthews for Subban?
In a vacuum? Maybe. In the context of this Habs team and what they need? Absolutely not. The hole on our defence left by moving Subban would just put us back even further then we are now from contender status. You don't trade guys of Subban's calibre, particularly for a teenager who has yet to prove what he can do at the NHL level.

Top Bottom