• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

zroid

Banned
We used to drive to Philly every couple years when I was younger to see relatives. But don't really go anymore, last time I went there was in 2013 I think... I miss cheesesteaks. :(

There's supposed to a small chain around Orange County that's supposed to be pretty good but haven't tried it yet.

When I was in Philadelphia I think I only had Geno's and Pat's, kind of just convenient that they were right next to each other.

If I go back to Philly, I'll check out Dalessandro's

Ya Geno's and Pat's is pretty easy to go to but I think Dalessandro's is best and apparently so does Yelp reviews lol

So I would for sure try it out

We used to drive to Philly every couple years when I was younger to see relatives. But don't really go anymore, last time I went there was in 2013 I think... I miss cheesesteaks. :(

Damn you were in Philly more recently than I have been. :(

ShaneB

Was a little chilly, but what a great evening.

sZeAnsc.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with what's here. I'm really interested to see what changes are made going forward when it comes to our D corps.

I agree in part but not completely. I agree that some big changes need to be made, and maybe it's time to say goodbye to a familiar face or two. I don't agree that it's necessarily the end of the franchise's recent run of success (or near success, such as it were).

It's easy to forget just how young the core of the team is. You look at how long they've been contenders in this run and can easily think of them as a run-down, over-the-hill team, but that's really not the case. Most of them are still in their prime, and most of the ones who aren't still haven't even hit their prime yet. The only guys who are returning for next season (as of right now) who are over 31 are Tanner Glass and Henrik Lundqvist, and Lundqvist is going to be a viable NHL goalie (if not an elite starter) until he's 40.

Priorities to the offseason:

1) Make Buchnevich commit. Pavel Buchnevich's contract with SKA is up in one week's time. Getting him to sign has to be the absolute top priority. You can be a lot more flexible with your moves over the summer with your forwards if you know you have a talented 21 year old Russian kid on the way as an X factor.

2) Try to dump problematic contracts. That means at least one of Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, and, to a much lesser extent (since it doesn't have many years left), Rick Nash. If you really need to sweeten the pot, check the market on Derick Brassard. I wouldn't want to lose Brass, but if you're going to try to bring in a star, you may need his $5m over the next 3 seasons.

3) Sign Keith Yandle before he can hit the market. It's entirely possible that we may be able to keep Yandle at slightly below market value given just how much he loves it here. He's mentioned a number of times how this is the happiest he's been in his adult life. You're not going to get anybody on the open market that's a better option than Yandle for less.

4) Maybe shake up the coaching staff. Not AV, but is it perhaps time for Ulfie to move on? Somebody has to be accountable for the Rangers' defensive struggles in a season in which they had the entire top 6 D corps return from a Presidents Trophy winning season and ECF Game 7 run.

Yawnier

Banned
I miss Panik. What did we get for him again? Nothing?

The Panik trade was 1 for 1, Panik for Morin. Then they threw in Morin in the Reimer trade to the SJS which had a few pieces around it.

I found it a bit weird that Panik couldn't make the leafs out of training camp considering he spent almost all of the 14-15 season with the team. It's possible Babs didn't think much of him or his play.

The Panik trade was 1 for 1, Panik for Morin. Then they threw in Morin in the Reimer trade to the SJS which had a few pieces around it.

I found it a bit weird that Panik couldn't make the leafs out of training camp considering he spent almost all of the 14-15 season with the team. It's possible Babs didn't think much of him or his play.

Oooohhh right, Morin. Forgot about him. Guess he never made an impact on the Marlies. It's a shame because Panik looks like a legit player.

zroid

Banned
It's not like Panik isn't eminently replaceable, but the problem is we ended up losing him for nothing, and now he looks like someone who might have actual trade value. One of the only moves this management group has made which was not gainful.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's not like Panik isn't eminently replaceable, but the problem is we ended up losing him for nothing, and now he looks like someone who might have actual trade value. One of the only moves this management group has made which was not gainful.

the gain itself was morin contract was only until end of year

all they did was free up a roster spot for next year

even though evened out, morin was traded for torres which basically offers the same effect

Leafs will have a lot of movement this offseason, so we will probably need it.

Socreges

Banned
Less than a week until (Canadian) NHL-GAF is ripped at the seams by bitterness and jealousy. I really think it's going to be Random American Team, like the BJs or even Devils, that gets the #1 pick. Leafs or Oilers will pick 2nd. Canucks may get lucky and pick 3rd.

But then again... who the fuck knows. Whatever happens, though, I'm pretty confident I'll be extremely salty.

Less than a week until (Canadian) NHL-GAF is ripped at the seams by bitterness and jealousy. I really think it's going to be Random American Team, like the BJs or even Devils, that gets the #1 pick. Leafs or Oilers will pick 2nd. Canucks may get lucky and pick 3rd.

But then again... who the fuck knows. Whatever happens, though, I'm pretty confident I'll be extremely salty.

I have a feeling it's going to be a Canadian team. Toronto or Edmonton, Montreal or Vancouver second,Calgary or Winnipeg third.

DopeyFish

All I know is the lottery makes me anxious

Leafs are close to being done regarding the rebuild (have a lot of core pieces already, just need to get players around them)

Just want the best piece possible and hope we never see the basement again

Picking 4th potentially delays things a tad

He's a 10-20 point bottom six winger who's 25 - someone we'd all forgotten about until very recently. What were people expecting?

yyzjohn

Banned
All I know is the lottery makes me anxious

Leafs are close to being done regarding the rebuild (have a lot of core pieces already, just need to get players around them)

Just want the best piece possible and hope we never see the basement again

Picking 4th potentially delays things a tad

The rebuild is done? I didn't realize Leafs already have studs on D and in net. Guess I wasn't paying attention

DopeyFish

The rebuild is done? I didn't realize Leafs already have studs on D and in net. Guess I wasn't paying attention

I said close.

We will have 5 major forward pieces and 2 major defensive pieces after this draft

Some good teams don't even have that.

We will likely use our late first on a goalie ... Possibly our 2nd too... And probably gonna nab a goalie in FA... If we are getting Zaitsev, there's a chance we don't need much in terms of D.

Eventually the team is going to start winning and we aren't going to be picking this high in a while

I agree in part but not completely. I agree that some big changes need to be made, and maybe it's time to say goodbye to a familiar face or two. I don't agree that it's necessarily the end of the franchise's recent run of success (or near success, such as it were).

It's easy to forget just how young the core of the team is. You look at how long they've been contenders in this run and can easily think of them as a run-down, over-the-hill team, but that's really not the case. Most of them are still in their prime, and most of the ones who aren't still haven't even hit their prime yet. The only guys who are returning for next season (as of right now) who are over 31 are Tanner Glass and Henrik Lundqvist, and Lundqvist is going to be a viable NHL goalie (if not an elite starter) until he's 40.

Priorities to the offseason:

1) Make Buchnevich commit. Pavel Buchnevich's contract with SKA is up in one week's time. Getting him to sign has to be the absolute top priority. You can be a lot more flexible with your moves over the summer with your forwards if you know you have a talented 21 year old Russian kid on the way as an X factor.

2) Try to dump problematic contracts. That means at least one of Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, and, to a much lesser extent (since it doesn't have many years left), Rick Nash. If you really need to sweeten the pot, check the market on Derick Brassard. I wouldn't want to lose Brass, but if you're going to try to bring in a star, you may need his $5m over the next 3 seasons.

3) Sign Keith Yandle before he can hit the market. It's entirely possible that we may be able to keep Yandle at slightly below market value given just how much he loves it here. He's mentioned a number of times how this is the happiest he's been in his adult life. You're not going to get anybody on the open market that's a better option than Yandle for less.

4) Maybe shake up the coaching staff. Not AV, but is it perhaps time for Ulfie to move on? Somebody has to be accountable for the Rangers' defensive struggles in a season in which they had the entire top 6 D corps return from a Presidents Trophy winning season and ECF Game 7 run.

Eh... But you also have two guys who are exactly 31 who play like they're 40 (Girardi and Nash). I think it's less the age and more the miles some of these players have. The biggest problem for you will be the cap, not necessarily talent. You overpaid players for what they are physically capable of doing anymore which I think is the biggest problem. Rick Nash as a teammate is fine and he was awesome on the PK and some other things that I think you having him is a good thing but paying close to $8mm for that is where it becomes problematic. I also think your D, regardless of pay, is problematic after that shift 2 years ago to ship off defensive players to become more offensive and it's going to be hard to get that one or two stay at home defensemen you need.

I think it's less a problem with age and more a problem with pay and the miles they have. I think the biggest thing will be if you can move guys that are still under contract to open up pay, most of those players aren't bad but their role has to change in the team and people making significantly less money haven't stepped up to fill that spot yet. Not the same extent naturally but I look at the play style of Crosby/Malkin when we won the cup vs. today and how they had to adjust how they play the game.

Out of curiosity, who do you see on the roster next year (barring trades) when this is all over?

Socreges

Banned
I said close.

We will have 5 major forward pieces and 2 major defensive pieces after this draft

Some good teams don't even have that.

We will likely use our late first on a goalie ... Possibly our 2nd too... And probably gonna nab a goalie in FA... If we are getting Zaitsev, there's a chance we don't need much in terms of D.

Eventually the team is going to start winning and we aren't going to be picking this high in a while
Interesting perspective, but you've lost the plot, Dopey. A "rebuild" is only done when the team starts to see success. Acquiring a sufficient amount of quality prospects does not complete a rebuild if those prospects and other pieces do not together make a contender. And you have zero idea how much remains to get there.

yyzjohn

Banned
Interesting perspective, but you've lost the plot, Dopey. A "rebuild" is only done when the team starts to see success. Acquiring a sufficient amount of quality prospects does not complete a rebuild if those prospects and other pieces do not together make a contender. And you have zero idea how much remains to get there.

m1mE284.jpg

Socreges

Banned
I actually really like the approach the Leafs org has taken. Clean house, become as shitty as possible, throw out the tentacles and acquire as many good prospects as possible, and communicate to fans to not expect any success. It's the way to go in a city of 6 million with deep pockets. But... I think some Leafs fans have been trapped in the basement for so long that they've forgotten what it takes to reach the light of day and stay there. And I don't mean escaping for a fleeting moment before your kidnapper catches you again and throws you back down the stairs. I mean actually reaching the telephone and calling the police. You might escape tomorrow, of course. You've got a plan, some good weapons tucked away, and the desperation to do so. But you may also be stuck there forever.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Eh... But you also have two guys who are exactly 31 who play like they're 40 (Girardi and Nash). I think it's less the age and more the miles some of these players have. The biggest problem for you will be the cap, not necessarily talent. You overpaid players for what they are physically capable of doing anymore which I think is the biggest problem. Rick Nash as a teammate is fine and he was awesome on the PK and some other things that I think you having him is a good thing but paying close to $8mm for that is where it becomes problematic. I also think your D, regardless of pay, is problematic after that shift 2 years ago to ship off defensive players to become more offensive and it's going to be hard to get that one or two stay at home defensemen you need.

I think it's less a problem with age and more a problem with pay and the miles they have. I think the biggest thing will be if you can move guys that are still under contract to open up pay, most of those players aren't bad but their role has to change in the team and people making significantly less money haven't stepped up to fill that spot yet. Not the same extent naturally but I look at the play style of Crosby/Malkin when we won the cup vs. today and how they had to adjust how they play the game.

Out of curiosity, who do you see on the roster next year (barring trades) when this is all over?
I don't disagree on a lot of this, but I do think Nash is a little bit of a question mark. He had a few different nagging injures and never really got into the flow of the season and as a result had a down year. The question is whether this truly is just an off year or a signal that his 30-goal scoring days are over. I'm more inclined to believe he'll have a bit of a rebound next year. Is he still worth $7.8m? Well, no, but that's what he's getting, and we just have to deal with it unless somebody wants to give us something really really good for it for some reason. I don't think he can realistically be moved until at least the trade deadline.

As for who makes the 2016-17 roster, a somewhat conservative guess would be:

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Buchnevich-Lindberg-Fast
Glass-??????-Stalberg

McDonagh-Skjei
Staal-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath

Lundqvist
Raanta

That assumes they find a way to ship out Girardi and trade away Kevin Hayes but don't make any more swerve trades. To be honest, I do think there's going to be at least one somewhat surprising move, which is why I floated the idea of moving Brass before. Almost impossible to know just what it will be, though.

The only absolute locks to stay, I think, are Zuccarello, Stepan, Miller, Fast, Tanner Glass, McDonagh, Skjei, Klein, and Lundqvist.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Didn't see it posted and I just saw it now, Lehkonen won the SHL championship and surpassed Alfredsson for the record for most playoff points. Pretty awesome, Timmins called him our most underrated prospect a year ago, I hope he makes it to camp next season.

DopeyFish

I was referring to the core piece collection.

The issue with the Leafs is their prospects were performing better than expected... Without some of our major players in the lineup (JVR/Lupul and a combination of Bozak and Kadri)

Our goaltending was atrocious so I doubt it will be the same or worse this year.

And we are likely to have 2 top prospects start in the NHL next season.

All I'm saying is crap is quickly being replaced with quality and with that comes success on the scoresheet. While I don't expect playoffs, I also don't expect to have a pick in the 1-10 range next year

Didn't see it posted and I just saw it now, Lehkonen won the SHL championship and surpassed Alfredsson for the record for most playoff points. Pretty awesome, Timmins called him our most underrated prospect a year ago, I hope he makes it to camp next season.

I saw that too. I'm very excited for this guy

Top Bottom