• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

I really like goaltending. Getting exposed to Carey Price at Sochi made me follow the Habs. I never paid attention to the Habs until then, being from the GTA and all... Granted I still follow Toronto way more given personal history, the market, etc. This was pretty much after I got back into following the sport from the Leafs playoff "run" in the lockout season.

I used to legitimately be a Devils fan in the early 2000s for the same reason: Marty Brodeur used to be a wall :')

Same. I mean, I still follow the Canucks since they are the home town team and they are plastered all over the media (because there ain't fuck all else sports wise) but it's quite distant. I am only a fan of the Caps now.

Also I follow the Jets too because most of my family are ex-Manitobans.

I keep wondering how you guys do it, but then I realize i'm a Jays fan for geographical reasons so it's kind of the same thing. Then again my love for the Jays will never be as strong as any team from around here

basically you're all fake fans and you should stop watching hockey is what i'm saying

could have followed the Tigers you know

I keep wondering how you guys do it, but then I realize i'm a Jays fan for geographical reasons so it's kind of the same thing. Then again my love for the Jays will never be as strong as any team from around here

basically you're all fake fans and you should stop watching hockey is what i'm saying

What if the Expos come back? Ditch the jays?

The Regina Pats bringing shame to the WHL

bluejays_5lz6peun_95o18ukp.jpg

Not enough fire to burn these. Moar fire pls.

Another reason for you to run away?

Hmmm?

100%, not even a question

The Expos need to come back.

calder

Another source who has extensive experience with prospects and Jimmy Vesey personally isn't buying the hype at all.

"He wouldn't get 20 goals in the AHL...he was an older guy playing in the one of the weaker college leagues...," the source continued, "There are many better and younger players out there already. Look at Winnipeg and Chicago alone...On Winnipeg you have: Roslovic, Connor, Lemieux DeLeo and Petan....And that's not including Ehlers, Laine and Dano...All better than Vesey That's 8 forwards, all younger and better...All of those guys could get 53 points or more as 22-23 yr old in the ECAC. And Joel Armia is the same age....and on Chicago...there are Hinostroza, Schmaltz, Motte and Hartman. All better with none of the hype."

A source down on Vesey hype who lists the Jets overflowing selection of young stud forwards in his argument? I couldn't possibly not post this.

Yawnier

Banned
but for those of you who root for a team far away from them, did you just pick a team you liked or did you just pick the closest team geographically?

Because I mean, I love the Canadiens but it also has to do with how much I love this city, being from around here and growing up here and everything... If I was from somewhere between here and Ottawa i'd probably be Sens fans and etc

I live in the maritimes so am pretty far from Toronto but I'm a 4th gen leaf fan. My great granddad was a leaf fan before he died, as are my grandfather and my dad.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
but for those of you who root for a team far away from them, did you just pick a team you liked or did you just pick the closest team geographically?

Because I mean, I love the Canadiens but it also has to do with how much I love this city, being from around here and growing up here and everything... If I was from somewhere between here and Ottawa i'd probably be Sens fans and etc
Runs in the family, been exposed since I was a kid.

calder

Winnipeg needs to give Roslovic back. Dirtbags.

Most people who were at the rookie camp this summer said he was clearly the best player there, even better than Connor. Excited to see how he develops in London this year, he was really overshadowed in these parts by Kyle Connor as a prospect last year unsurprisingly.

Hah, just talking about Connor and Raslovic makes me want to thank the Bruins again.

Foggy

Most people who were at the rookie camp this summer said he was clearly the best player there, even better than Connor. Excited to see how he develops in London this year, he was really overshadowed in these parts by Kyle Connor as a prospect last year unsurprisingly.

Hah, just talking about Connor and Raslovic makes me want to thank the Bruins again.

Awesome that he's doing so well. I'm curious if Columbus would have gotten him if he dropped to 29.

After I finished school, I decided to get back into hockey and I couldn't decide which team to follow but I settled on the Jackets because they were around here and I saw that they barely missed the playoffs in the shortened season. The first season that I followed them, they went to the playoffs and had a fun series with the Pens. Now here they are and here I am. I'm a damn fool.

I didn't watch hockey until my wife made me, so I basically married into being a Leafs fan. My old man is a Leafs fan though, so I guess it runs in the family (although both my sisters became terrible Detroit fans)

PillarEN

I didn't watch hockey until my wife made me, so I basically married into being a Leafs fan. My old man is a Leafs fan though, so I guess it runs in the family (although both my sisters became terrible Detroit fans)

I'm pretty sure you should listen to your sisters more often. They know what's up. Leafs fans are brutes. They poured beer on my mom at a game once (not like the whole cup. Just a small amount, but still)

I'm pretty sure you should listen to your sisters more often. They know what's up. Leafs fans are brutes. They poured beer on my mom at a game once (not like the whole cup. Just a small amount, but still)

Where I'm from that's considered a polite greeting.
Edit: and we got together last time a Clinton was president. I think the ship has sailed on switching teams!

After I finished school, I decided to get back into hockey and I couldn't decide which team to follow but I settled on the Jackets because they were around here and I saw that they barely missed the playoffs in the shortened season. The first season that I followed them, they went to the playoffs and had a fun series with the Pens. Now here they are and here I am. I'm a damn fool.

You guys at least had those badass gameday posters though :)

I'm sorry I don't know what to say the BJs are stuck in overpaying for everything

I was born in BC but my parents are from Toronto so that influenced me to root for the Leafs. Im the only one in my direct family to be born out west so cheering for the Canucks would have made me an outcast and brought great shame to my family.

Calamari41

41 > 38

I picked the Ducks because of their historic run during my childhood in the 90s.

I live 20 minutes from the Pond and my grandparents got season tickets before the team name had been revealed

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I picked the Canucks because I was picking a city to study English in and picked Vancouver.

-shrugs-

Pikma

Banned
I wanted some Nietonen salt from Pikma, the playoffs were so long ago :(

I tried looking for Canada vs USA tickets and ticketmaster pretty much shrugged and did nothing. Jank fucking website :mad:
That's not good for my health, do you really want to kill me? Well it doesn't matter, if you don't do it those motherfuckers will, they have like 15 fucking years left in their motherfucking contracts to do so

Pikma

Banned
The real kick in the dick is that the poster guy now works for the Devils. The fuckin Devils.
People love to talk about Taylor Hall a lot but most don't realize mr. Poster Guy is the signing of summer for us. He'll fill the most important role in the whole organization
the marketing role

Pikma

Banned
Wait.

You'd rather see it, ok. Seeing something doesn't hurt. But what about the rape itself? Would you rather be penetrated?

Edit: I see, live television. That's a pretty extreme statement. I don't think I would make that exchange.
My hairy ass is numb to that kind of pain already, kinda like MultiJhonny's but less broken

PillarEN

Awesome that he's doing so well. I'm curious if Columbus would have gotten him if he dropped to 29.

That was a fun series. Was it game 4 when Nick Foligno scored a weak one in OT and the commentator goes "it was 3-0 Pittsburgh, it ends 4-3 Columbus"? Haha. Oh well I hope the Jackets finally win a series.

Quick

Banned

When I didn't live in Toronto, I saw a bunch of Ducks games on TV as a kid. Add in the movie, and they were the team for me. I didn't follow them too closely since games were early in the morning from where I was, but they were always my team whenever I had the chance to watch a game. Plus, I liked Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne.

I also liked the Stars because of Modano, but nothing compared to the Ducks for me.

I moved to Toronto and it was great having a local team to follow and cheer on full time, especially being able to watch all the time.

With baseball, I didn't really follow it closely, but I always had some interest in it. Angels in the Outfield was one of my first experiences in learning about the game, but I didn't really have any allegiances. I started following the Jays closely after moving here.

I didn't follow basketball much, but my family does. I think moving to Toronto really turned that around for me.

Quick, I knew you were a SoCal kid at heart. Get out here, we'll take you to the Ducks and Angels, take you to In-N-Out and Del Taco, get you a nice Orange County girl with an uptalk and expensive tastes, then we'll go hang out in Newport and get you some Sharkeez, Wahoos and Mutts. You'll be living the dream.

imBask

Banned
Quick, I knew you were a SoCal kid at heart. Get out here, we'll take you to the Ducks and Angels, take you to In-N-Out and Del Taco, get you a nice Orange County girl with an uptalk and expensive tastes, then we'll go hang out in Newport and get you some Sharkeez, Wahoos and Mutts. You'll be living the dream.

I thought you were going to give us your story...

"I hate winning, and I really like sand and empty seats, so I picked the Coyotes"

I thought you were going to give us your story...

"I hate winning, and I really like sand and empty seats, so I picked the Coyotes"

I used to take my mom to games there when she was living out there and was, like, alive and stuff. She liked the Coyotes a lot.

Me and my gf also had our first date at a Coyotes game.

Don Maloney and Shane Doan were really friendly and nice when I got to meet them.

So, yeah.

Foggy

That was a fun series. Was it game 4 when Nick Foligno scored a weak one in OT and the commentator goes "it was 3-0 Pittsburgh, it ends 4-3 Columbus"? Haha. Oh well I hope the Jackets finally win a series.

Hahah yeah that's the one. MAF was shook up for letting this one in that led to OT. It's still the most cherished memory in Blue Jackets history. A game 4 win in a first round series they lost 4-2. Oh well, it showed what Columbus could be like if the team wasn't garbage.

https://youtu.be/WQGz9UoKOKo

Top Bottom