• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

imBask

Banned
Where can I apply for the fancystats job? I'd like to browse bullshit websites and skew numbers my way on a daily basis

Socreges

Banned
I wouldn't have at first, but like I said after seeing all the other garbage he's posted online, it certainly appears to be what he was getting at. Not that he put much thought into it, being largely incapable of thought, it seems.
Like what? I've seen his Facebook stuff, unless there's more.

I see no reason to believe he didn't understand the context under which All Lives Matter has become important; ie, its juxtaposition to BLM.

The system doesn't work.
I feel unsafe right now.

zroid

Banned

I see no reason to believe he didn't understand the context under which All Lives Matter has become important; ie, its juxtaposition to BLM.

I feel unsafe right now.
I'm not sure what's from Facebook, twitter, or elsewhere, but it boils down to he's basically a new age hippie. Dude is talking about love and peace and whatnot. I obviously can't prove that he didn't know what he was actually saying but Occam's Razor applies here, I think.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I feel unsafe right now.

He tweeted something to the tone of I JUST WANTED EVERYONE TO LOVE EACH OTHER

iLLmAtlc

Good pickup imo. McPhail took a lot of heat for the trade but he built those all strong Capitals teams almost entirely through the draft.

zroid

Banned
bab7f200ccf5494a82f0887a23362b35.png

Poor guy is never going to live this down ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also:
38cd0934696e4cf1b0d0a59c1dd9dd2c.png

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Rangers finally signed one of their major RFAs!

JT Miller, 2 years @ $2.625m

Solid, imo, especially if he picks up where he left off last season.

Solo

I don't really put any stock into advanced stats and analytics - I feel like it's mostly hogwash that can be framed to suit whatever narrative about a player you want. But having said that, it's scary to see the Habs letting go their guy when all the other teams have bought in hard. What a regressive franchise.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I don't really put any stock into advanced stats and analytics - I feel like it's mostly hogwash that can be framed to suit whatever narrative about a player you want. But having said that, it's scary to see the Habs letting go their guy when all the other teams have bought in hard. What a regressive franchise.

well, I don't think all the other teams have bought in hard. I think there's probably about 15-20 teams that still are stuck in the past.

relying on "eye tests" and just boxscore watching. Big body, scores often, good family. good genetics.

Quick

Banned
I just watched Now You See Me on Netflix.

I saw the sequel first, but I had a general understanding of what happened to the first movie. Now that I've seen the first movie, the sequel seemed really unnecessary. They left out one subplot with Tressler losing his money that seemed to have been their door in for a sequel, but the movie wrapped up in maybe the best possible way.

Overall, I didn't mind wasting my day watching it. It was entertaining enough, and the twist with Dylan was cool, if a bit watered down since I saw the sequel first.

Now that being said, I wish Mélanie Laurent was in more mainstream/North American movies.

Actually, I liked the sequel only because of Lizzy Caplan.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
lol I received a warning at HF for saying "all the flavours of the world and you chose to be salty" when responding to a guy saying the Leafs are a garbage ass team.

Kind of makes me want to renew my interest in making that hockey site/fantasy sports/new forum backend again.

yyzjohn

Banned

Maybe Marc Bergevin is like Billy Beane and eventually they'll write a book about him like "Non-Money Puck"

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
While I believe that analytics certainly don't take the human component into account, they're just another tool for analysis.

Just because a player has 60 points, it doesn't mean he'll get 60 points again. How did he get those 60 points? From where? What was he doing? Who was he doing it against? What kind of team was he on? What system is in place?

As far as I'm concerned, fancy stats just break things down even further and quantifies them to help with the eye test and to help maintain objectivity.

Additionally, all the top teams employ some sort of fancy stats and some even have their own proprietary fancy stat: certainly the recent Stanley Cup winners use them, why WOULDN'T you want your team to use them?

lol I received a warning at HF for saying "all the flavours of the world and you chose to be salty" when responding to a guy saying the Leafs are a garbage ass team.

Kind of makes me want to renew my interest in making that hockey site/fantasy sports/new forum backend again.

HF is a shitty board filled with terrible mods. Some may think that GAF has over-zealous moderation, but at least GAF really only comes out hard when you act like an asshole. HF mods throw out bans when they wake up on the wrong side of the bed.

Doesn't help the vast majority of fans there are petty and stupid as hell.

Additionally, all the top teams employ some sort of fancy stats and some even have their own proprietary fancy stat: certainly the recent Stanley Cup winners use them, why WOULDN'T you want your team to use them?

As an add-on, I just want to say: advanced stats and analytics are fine, but teams need to balance that out with simply going with your gut feeling and weighing it with the skill of an actual player. Hey, I'm a Jays fan, and their experiments with Moneyball under J. P. Ricciardi in the mid 2000's are well documented for not working. The true balance is not relying completely on advanced stats, but using them to augment your abilities as a management group.

Top Bottom