• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Yawnier

Banned
With Thornton re-signing with San Jose, I guess it's almost a guarantee Marleau's following suit.
Probably
this is apt

HBqFOlBIR8qTnpyTu1jMKw.png

Yep....

Gagner
Del Zotto
Weircoch
Nilsson

Will not make a difference. Still a lottery team.

Besides, I'm now resigned to the belief that finishing 7th last is basically as good as finishing 2nd last.

If only there was some kind of draft that could have helped you guys. :|

going to miss bonino but maybe not at that price

one of those players i hope does well regardless of where he plays
He was good but like a lot of people we let go, they're not worth the money they're getting. Especially given our cap situation.

I was so triggered when you guys started insulting iginla
haha you guys must be joking
iginla is a class act :)
Iginla is a loser, he should retire. His hissy fit to leave the Avs after chasing the money was pathetic. He's been washed up for years.

zroid

Banned
$6.5M for Jumbo, tweets Bob

he could have gotten a 2 year deal, and someone would have offered 3, but with much less AAV probably

I'm guessing term was a factor in wooing MDZ and Gagner. They should help on the power play.

Nothing terribly exciting and no albatross contracts either.

Bonino could be 2C in Nashville.

Rutherford is willing to wait as far as into the season to get the Pens their 3C... here's hoping not that long.

Because Carter Rowney 3C is not good.

Reality is Pens are going to be significantly weaker at C if Cullen leaves and they don't get a good replacement for him and Bonino. That's a no duh level analysis I know, but like yikes right now. In one off season they went from centre is a place of strength to Carter Rowney is their best current option at 3C.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Nash
Grabner-Miller-Buchnevich
Puempel-Guy-Fast
Andersson

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal-Holden
DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Pavelec

Kunitz era is over he goes to Tbay.

Not that I wanted him back exactly but Pens are losing all their depth. Though I guess Sprong replaces him.

That said he was invisible most of the year and the only reason I call him depth really is because he had a huge game 7 against Ottawa and was solid in the finals but who is to say he could maintain that.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
My assessment of the Rangers' offseason from their elimination from the playoffs a month and a half ago is still holding up fairly well: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=236397012&postcount=2439

Only real notable misses: the Raanta trade was after the expansion draft and not before it, Rick Nash's name hasn't really come up in conversation (though I did say this would be more of a deadline thing if it happened at all), Marc Staal is still likely a part of the top 6 at least to start and DeAngelo's arrival probably makes it less likely we see Bereglazov this year (at least to start), and the Rangers did manage to keep the 3 players I mentioned through the expansion draft but it was by virtue of Vegas throwing a bit of a curve and going after Lindberg. Also, Shattenkirk's contract is waaaaaaaay more favorable than I ever expected it would be.

The AV section is a bit more complicated, but there has been no talk of re-signing Tanner Glass, Gorton has gotten rid of the crutch on defense that was Dan Girardi, and the Rangers have also moved Jeff Beukeboom away from behind the bench and are supposedly bringing Lindy Ruff in, which also gives them a pretty good "interim head coach" option at their disposal should they need it. All this signifies to me that management has come to the same conclusion: the benefit of the doubt is now gone for AV.

Now we can better assess some of the deals the Rangers have made, by the way.

Stepan's $6.5m becomes Shattenkirk's $6.65m.
Raanta goes to Arizona and brings a return of DeAngelo, Lias Andersson, and Ondrej Pavelec (Raanta's 1m turns into Pavelec's 1.3m).
Dan Girardi's $5.5m becomes Brendan Smith's $4.35m.

Gotta say, aside from the hole we have at center right now (and the question mark that is Pavelec as a backup), that's a pretty damn good job of maximizing what meager assets we had to work with coming into this offseason.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Fisher is almost certainly retiring. I don't see him signing anywhere else, and it sure as hell looks like Poile is building a team without him despite saying that he'd be kept in mind. (Only way he'd fit in the roster as it's currently shaping up is if Jarnkrok gets stuck on wing yet again.)

Wonder who would be the captain, then. Josi?
Subban?

zroid

Banned
yeeeaahhh I dunno about that Schultz contract. this is where he stops being a decent player in a good situation and becomes a player expected to do too much like he was in edmonton

Top Bottom