• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

PillarEN

I'm not sure why Dom has that logo unranked either. I feel like we talked about the Blackhawks logo and name in here before a while back, and I can't speak for other native americans but I have absolutely zero problem with it.

The old Cleveland Indians logo though.... never was a fan of it.

The Chief still comes and goes now and then. Saw a pic of him on the Cleveland jersey shoulders a few games back when watching some highlights.

reading through the arguments on the made up rankings of team logos makes me want the NHL back even sooner so the real salt can fly again

the list is pretty stupid

Marvie_3

Banned
I thought the difference was that the Blackhawks logo was a depiction of a specific dude, where as the Indians logo and name are just downright offensive.
At least they stopped using this version:

fiYVwRS.png

Yawnier

Banned
I thought the difference was that the Blackhawks logo was a depiction of a specific dude, where as the Indians logo and name are just downright offensive.

I didn't think the Blackhawks logo was the depiction of this guy but I could be wrong, though I believe that is who they named their team after.

Edit: Actually it might have been named after a unit in WW1, I don't fully remember
The Chief still comes and goes now and then. Saw a pic of him on the Cleveland jersey shoulders a few games back when watching some highlights.
Yeah... I have hoped that that logo would get completely phased out for a while now, but I get the impression that the Indians organization have dragged their feet in doing that for years

Marvie_3

Banned
I didn't think the Blackhawks logo was the depiction of this guy but I could be wrong, though I believe that is who they named their team after.
The Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League indirectly derive their name from Black Hawk. Their first owner, Frederic McLaughlin, was a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I, nicknamed the "Black Hawk Division" after the war leader. McLaughlin named the hockey team in honor of his military unit.

The logo is supposed to be an image of him though. Its not just a generic indian face.

Yeah... I have hoped that that logo would get completely phased out for a while now, but I get the impression that the Indians organization have dragged their feet in doing that for years
I picked up one of of the Wahoo Indians hats when I went through Cleveland 2 years ago. I like the hat but I get why the logo isnt cool. :lol

I would have gotten one of their other ones but the plain red C on a blue hat just looks awful.

Edit: Actually it might have been named after a unit in WW1, I don't fully remember

edit: well Marvie beat me to it

I believe the organization maintains a relationship with the descendants of the Sauk tribe but I can't find anything to verify that in the 30 seconds I spent googling

Yawnier

Banned
The Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League indirectly derive their name from Black Hawk. Their first owner, Frederic McLaughlin, was a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I, nicknamed the "Black Hawk Division" after the war leader. McLaughlin named the hockey team in honor of his military unit.

The logo is supposed to be an image of him though. Its not just a generic indian face.

I picked up one of of the Wahoo Indians hats when I went through Cleveland 2 years ago. I like the hat but I get why the logo isnt cool. :lol

I would have gotten one of their other ones but the plain red C on a blue hat just looks awful.
Yeah figures, I had half thought there was another team besides the Leafs that got their name from a unit in WW1.

and yeah the new Indians logo although not offensive or anything is indeed bland as hell, if they wanted to they could add a feather or two or something like that to spice it up a bit lol.

Also I was playing around on google images and found this picture, for any people who don't think the chief logo is offensive or 'you're taking away muh free speech':

mascot_hats.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
and yeah the new Indians logo although not offensive or anything is indeed bland as hell, if they wanted to they could add a feather or two or something like that to spice it up a bit lol.
They used the same C on their hats in the early 80s but it had a white trim around it. Looks so much better.

Silexx

Karlsson just now on Tim & Sid said that he won't be going to ownership to ask permission to go to the Olympics in Korea.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Reway will be playing in Laval this year, curious to see how he does. He has a lot of time to catch up on.

As Lightning defenseman Dan Girardi was house-shopping in Tampa, he found the perfect place on Davis Islands.

Girardi, 33, signed to a two-year, $6 million deal in July, showed it to his good friend Ryan Callahan, a former teammate in junior and with the Rangers. Callahan a Lightning wing, also lives in the neighborhood.

"'Um, I'm pretty sure that's the GM's house,'' Callahan told him.

Replied Girardi: "Oh man."

The four-bedroom, Mediterranean-style mansion belonged to Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman. Yzerman, though, was trying to sell it as he already moved into another home.

Girardi bought it for $3 million. No, Girardi quips, it wasn't part of his contract (though that would be shrewd salary cap management).

Yzerman's motives for signing Girardi revealed.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm late on this but I haven't had cell service for a few days.

❤ You Pikma, please seek some help, we're a better community with you here.

I'm not sure why Dom has that logo unranked either. I feel like we talked about the Blackhawks logo and name in here before a while back, and I can't speak for other native americans but I have absolutely zero problem with it.

My kids' school is about 30% FN, and I've seen some kinds (not many, this is Canucksland) wear Black Hawks gear. The only people I've come across who view as problematic are Euros - which makes me suspect there's virtue signalling going on - but I really haven't ever looked into it.

PillarEN

Finally the NFL has arrived. A sign that hockey is just around the corner. Go Pats.
My kids' school is about 30% FN, and I've seen some kinds (not many, this is Canucksland) wear Black Hawks gear. The only people I've come across who view as problematic are Euros - which makes me suspect there's virtue signalling going on - but I really haven't ever looked into it.

Hmmm... Plzen (Czech hockey team) uses a native american face for their logo. Why? I don't know. People in this country are obsessed with Winnetou.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnetou

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Woot beat the unbidden in my 1st stellaris game after beating both fallen empires (one awoken). Lost like 4 worlds though. Now to erase my stupid neighbours who cock blocked all the hyperlanes then closed their borders to me, fracturing my empire. Shame I'm a pacifist empire I'll have to give their worlds to my vassals.

PillarEN

Woot beat the unbidden in my 1st stellaris game after beating both fallen empires (one awoken). Lost like 4 worlds though. Now to erase my stupid neighbours who cock blocked all the hyperlanes then closed their borders to me, fracturing my empire. Shame I'm a pacifist empire I'll have to give their worlds to my vassals.

Wat?

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member

Pacifists can't directly demand (cede) planets unless they're fallen empires so I have to either "liberate" them (makes a new nation that you usually vassalize) or cede them to my vassals. Unfortunately the federation ai just went to war already though it looks like they'll clear up the star lanes for me. Though with jump drive it's less of an issue. I'm just sick of these guys. the whole game they jump on weak empires, block travel lanes and jump in on our wars to try to steal victory.

The unbidden are an end game crisis of being that destroy planets and have like 500k fleet power if you don't defeat them quickly.

Holiday

Banned
Blawkhawks' logo is complicated. It's not clearly horrendous like the Cleveland Indians' caricature logo, but that doesn't make it simply a-ok either. There's debate about it within Native American communities in Chicago. It will be interesting to see how the debate develops.

Marvie_3

Banned
7i7La8c.png

Same

Pacifists can't directly demand (cede) planets unless they're fallen empires so I have to either "liberate" them (makes a new nation that you usually vassalize) or cede them to my vassals. Unfortunately the federation ai just went to war already though it looks like they'll clear up the star lanes for me. Though with jump drive it's less of an issue. I'm just sick of these guys. the whole game they jump on weak empires, block travel lanes and jump in on our wars to try to steal victory.

The unbidden are an end game crisis of being that destroy planets and have like 500k fleet power if you don't defeat them quickly.

kel.gif

Video games really make people say the most ridiculous shit

https://youtu.be/u1zBz8mYVGg

Top Bottom