• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

Calamari41

41 > 38
So why am I advocating for Anaheim over Edmonton? Well... fuck Edmonton.

I see your clearly laid out argument for Anaheim over Edmonton. I would agree.

Something interesting I've noticed about both Calgary and Edmonton fans overall is that they seem to be incredibly angry for some reason. What makes it worse is that the slightest bit of success (like scoring a goal or winning a game) marries this incredible anger with an equally incredible sense of smugness and entitlement. A truly winning combination.

Is there something in the water up in Alberta? I always thought that Canadians were supposed to be nice to a fault, but denizens of Alberta seem different for some reason.

Quick

Banned
Something interesting I've noticed about both Calgary and Edmonton fans overall is that they seem to be incredibly angry for some reason. What makes it worse is that the slightest bit of success (like scoring a goal or winning a game) marries this incredible anger with an equally incredible sense of smugness and entitlement. A truly winning combination.

Is there something in the water up in Alberta? I always thought that Canadians were supposed to be nice to a fault, but denizens of Alberta seem different for some reason.

I don't know if this is a joke, but this is almost exactly my opinion of Oilers fans and some Jets fans.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I don't know if this is a joke, but this is almost exactly my opinion of Oilers fans and some Jets fans.

No joke, I mean it and it absolutely fascinates me.

You'll see it in here if the Oilers win game 7. People we've never seen before will be in here swearing up a storm telling us to go fuck ourselves and burn in hell. I can't wait to see it.

Like, Kings fans are absolute d-bags, but they're not angry. They're having the time of their lives. The anger I'm talking about is palpable, and I have only seen it like this from the two Alberta teams.

Edit: RaySpencer is good people.

Yawnier

Banned

I would also probably lump in (some) Sabres fans with them

You'll see it in here if the Oilers win game 7. People we've never seen before will be in here swearing up a storm telling us to go fuck ourselves and burn in hell. I can't wait to see it.

Guarantee you this will happen. Ducks pleaseeeeee win game 7.

zroid

Banned

I might be moving to Edmonton this year, so hopefully it's not the water 😓

Jinaar

Can you give an example of this? There are dick fans for all teams, heck there are dick fans in this thread for their teams, it isn't new. There are Oiler fans that are just plain idiots, but there are idiot fans in Boston and San Jose and Chicago, etc.

Edmonton is a weird place at the moment because we are a melting pot of Canada after the last 10 years of the actual Oil and Gas boom and bust. Everyone and their dog has migrated here for big bucks and there are alot of unsavory types that have come with it.

I moved from a small town just outside of Edmonton in '96 to the big city and the city was a totally different place compared to today. Edmonton is gross with the amount of assholes with big trucks, loud motor bikes, shitty suburban sprawl, fragrant abuse of spending money and more. But there is also the opposite when it comes to fundraising/art/and other community events.

This bleeds into maybe who you see as an Oiler fan. The fun, nice Oiler fans cannot effort the ticket prices to go see the games in person.

I still think that on the whole, pretty much every NHL team has shitty fans and we all tend to focus on those more then the others.

Just my thoughts.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Can you give an example of this? There are dick fans for all teams, heck there are dick fans in this thread for their teams, it isn't new. There are Oiler fans that are just plain idiots, but there are idiot fans in Boston and San Jose and Chicago, etc.

Edmonton is a weird place at the moment because we are a melting pot of Canada after the last 10 years of the actual Oil and Gas boom and bust. Everyone and their dog has migrated here for big bucks and there are alot of unsavory types that have come with it.

I moved from a small town just outside of Edmonton in '96 to the big city and the city was a totally different place compared to today. Edmonton is gross with the amount of assholes with big trucks, loud motor bikes, shitty suburban sprawl, fragrant abuse of spending money and more. But there is also the opposite when it comes to fundraising/art/and other community events.

This bleeds into maybe who you see as an Oiler fan. The fun, nice Oiler fans cannot effort the ticket prices to go see the games in person.

I still think that on the whole, pretty much every NHL team has shitty fans and we all tend to focus on those more then the others.

Just my thoughts.

My thoughts are based on my exposure to fans on this site, hfboards, and at the Honda Center. I'm sure Edmonton is a nice place, and I certainly have no issue with the city or its people, but fans from there and Calgary especially (that I've been exposed to online and in person) have stood out to me over the others. Calgary is way worse from what I've seen, like a completely different level. It's no coincidence that all of their recent playoff series have created absolute war zones in here.

There are "dick fans for every team," yeah, but at least in here it's pretty clear that people are joking around. I don't get that sense at all from a lot of Alberta fans.

And I will also say again that while every team does have "dick" fans, not all of them are angry. Like I said about the Kings fans (which I'm exposed to more than any other), they are the biggest assholes in the world. But they aren't angry. They're happy as hell.

This also probably stands out more to me than to some others because I've had season tickets for the Ducks since the inaugural season, and the Ducks overwhelmingly attract retirees and young families as fans. For the first ~ten years of their existence, until I went off to college (so from age 7 to 18), I went to every game with my grandparents, for example. Not a lot of anger in the Pond.

Jinaar

My thoughts are based on my exposure to fans on this site, hfboards, and at the Honda Center. I'm sure Edmonton is a nice place, and I certainly have no issue with the city or its people, but fans from there and Calgary especially (that I've been exposed to online and in person) have stood out to me over the others. Calgary is way worse from what I've seen, like a completely different level. It's no coincidence that all of their recent playoff series have created absolute war zones in here.

There are "dick fans for every team," yeah, but at least in here it's pretty clear that people are joking around. I don't get that sense at all from a lot of Alberta fans.

And I will also say again that while every team does have "dick" fans, not all of them are angry. Like I said about the Kings fans (which I'm exposed to more than any other), they are the biggest assholes in the world. But they aren't angry. They're happy as hell.

This also probably stands out more to me than to some others because I've had season tickets for the Ducks since the inaugural season, and the Ducks overwhelmingly attract retirees and young families as fans. For the first ~ten years of their existence, until I went off to college (so from age 7 to 18), I went to every game with my grandparents, for example. Not a lot of anger in the Pond.

Well if there are people actively attacking you on these boards and representing the Oilers and Flames, then that sucks and I'm not a fan of that at all.

I personally haven't been around angry Oiler fans or know of any. But I am sure they are out there, in the stands, on forums or in other public places.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's not even about me being attacked personally, which only Calgary fans have done (incomprehensibly at that). It's just what I've gathered from observation.

a916

I didn't watch game 5 but I read that Washington was beastly and had their way with Pittsburgh.

Why can't they continue this for game 6 and 7?

I'm believing.

Would be so vindicating if Washington can pull it off. When Washington was down 2-1 to Toronto, it was all "Here we go again." Same when Washington was down 3-1 to Pittsburgh.

They've dug themselves such a hole but they've actually generated way more scoring chances than Pittsburgh, (not to mention owning the puck). Fleury is outright stealing this series coupled with Holtby looking human-average most of the time. Their about to get Halak'd

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah, it's only Calgary and Edmonton fans that get angry.

Not what I'm saying. Everyone gets angry. What I'm saying is that it seems many Calgary and Edmonton fans are angry, like as an actual personality trait.

As Jinaar said, this could mainly be the case just for the ones that I happen to come across, which is entirely possible. But it's an observation which has definitely stood out to me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not what I'm saying. Everyone gets angry. What I'm saying is that it seems many Calgary and Edmonton fans are angry, like as an actual personality trait.

As Jinaar said, its possible that this is only the case for the ones that I happen to come across, which is entirely possible. But it's an observation which has definitely stood out to me.

Must be the years of being terrible for so long. Also it is likely the minority that are angry I hope.

Jinaar

Or it could be that Kessler and Perry bring out a madness in people.

I can agree with this. :) I mean, I f'n hated Lucic when he was on Boston. Now I feel he's an ok kinda guy, well spoken and hard working. When the brute plays for your team, a person takes a different tone. Very hypocritical of me, and I'm aware of it.

Kessler as well, loved him on Vancouver. Think he is a mean ass bully on the ice with no skill though on Anaheim and hope his legs break in four places. That is pretty angry of me to say :) I don't really mean it but I hope he gets whats coming to him for his actively aggressive plays to hurt out there.

For me, these two as examples do have some real mean streaks on the ice which I can't get behind. I can't get behind Lucic for threatening Montreal players when they lost in the playoffs against them a few years back. I can't get behind Kessler trying to manhandle/slash to hurt McDonalds each shift or other Oilers when he goes all Rob Roy out there.

It's playoff hockey; it's gritty, it's painful, but I don't really appreciate the active approach to hurt I see take place out there. Oilers could have been down 4 defense men due to the nature of the last few games, heck even Drai could have been out of the game for that cross check he took from behind yesterday into the boards.

But I have to remember that the Oilers do fight back and at times, dirty as well. Which shouldn't stand. Keep the dirt out of the game. Especially the dirt that can hurt a player and remove them from the series. I want all players in the game and healthy and giving us a performance of a life time.

However this series ends, it has been exciting and good on both teams to give us a 7 game series. The emotional rush should keep me afloat to next September if the Oil lose on Wed.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I have pretty extreme views on keeping dirty plays out of hockey. I think that if someone is injured on a dirty play, the perpetrator should automatically be out for as long as the injured player is. And the head coach should miss at least one game as well. Obviously that would never be agreed to by the players union, but if the league wants to fix it, they can find a way to make some examples of people.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Washington versus Ottawa
Nashville versus Anaheim

Would be ideal. Would guarantee that the Good Guys win the Cup.

Although.... I am partial to having a team with a longer drought get in. So why am I advocating for Anaheim over Edmonton? Well... fuck Edmonton.

I agree with this post

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
6595q.gif

Doesn't look like any changes for the Rangers tomorrow, judging by practice.

First round of RC Cola on me

I'll pick up the second round of RC Cola. Only the finest cola for us. Clyde's invited too as soon as he returns the avocados he stole

Also, Corey Perry is a good guy. Takes way more abuse than he dishes out. Kesler works hard out there. I didn't even hate him when he was a Canuck. He never bothered me except that one time his leg got in the way of Pronger's skate

I'm not even sure if it's in jest. But they have RC Cola at the Honda Center instead of Coke or Pepsi. Some people swear that it's better. Most will notice it's not the big two brands.

For me, I usually buy beer so I don't really mind what they have for sale.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Anaheim aren't the good guys. They're a bunch of fucks.

Better than the Oilers! On that note:

For the fifth straight year, Anaheim is faced with losing game 7 at home after being up 3-2 in the series.

Ducks in 5? NOT THIS WAY

Calamari41

41 > 38
Better than the Oilers! On that note:

For the fifth straight year, Anaheim is faced with losing game 7 at home after being up 3-2 in the series.

Ducks in 5? NOT THIS WAY

If we can manage to win this game 7, I feel like something will snap with the team and I'll predict that we'll end up going all the way.

If we don't win this game 7, we will never win a Cup until every player currently on this team is no longer here.

Parch

I see the Edmonton bashing is back in full force. A NHL-GAF tradition.

I'm not angry. I'm too loveable for that. Dogs want to rub my belly.

I would say Oiler fans are passionate, and it will be difficult to convince me that there isn't at least some legit argument that the goaltender interference calls seem a teensy bit unfair. Hockey people across the globe are agreeing with that and I would bet that the rule is going to be discussed by the league.

The series could be over if those goals were disallowed, but it isn't so Oilers fans move on and just have another thing to be passionate about. Now it's about redemption, and last night's game was part 1.

Interesting that the Oilers get 7 goals and McDavid didn't get a point. This team is not just about one player. Even with defenceman injured, the team, the entire team, stepped up and had a dominant game.

So thank you refs. Thanks for providing Edmonton fans and Oiler players another thing to be passionate about. It's another motivational tool and a kick in the pants that is proving what this young team is really about. Let's see what game 7 proves.
Either way, it's an immensely successful season for the Oilers franchise. Edmonton fans are not angry, they're thrilled.

Line_HTX

If we can manage to win this game 7, I feel like something will snap with the team and I'll predict that we'll end up going all the way.

If we don't win this game 7, we will never win a Cup until every player currently on this team is no longer here.

IIRC at the very end last year Perry had two or three very good open looks. I thought that would've been the one.

Socreges

Banned

I would say Oiler fans are passionate, and it will be difficult to convince me that there isn't at least some legit argument that the goaltender interference calls seem a teensy bit unfair. Hockey people across the globe are agreeing with that and I would bet that the rule is going to be discussed by the league.

The series could be over if those goals were disallowed, but it isn't so Oilers fans move on and just have another thing to be passionate about. Now it's about redemption, and last night's game was part 1.

Interesting that the Oilers get 7 goals and McDavid didn't get a point. This team is not just about one player. Even with defenceman injured, the team, the entire team, stepped up and had a dominant game.

So thank you refs. Thanks for providing Edmonton fans and Oiler players another thing to be passionate about. It's another motivational tool and a kick in the pants that is proving what this young team is really about. Let's see what game 7 proves.
Either way, it's an immensely successful season for the Oilers franchise. Edmonton fans are not angry, they're thrilled.
You certainly represent the passive aggressive side of Oilers fans, which some might say is just a variant of aggressive.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Yes sir, I'm sure that if Edmonton loses this game 7, the fans will "move on" from those iffy goals.

Who are the two fanbases in this thread who have tried to make an earnest case about the rest of the community conspiring to unfairly shit on them?

Calgary ala zedge
Edmonton ala Parch

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe Calamari is on to something

Parch

Yes sir, I'm sure that if Edmonton loses this game 7, the fans will "move on" from those iffy goals.
The league certainly will not "move on" from those iffy goals. It's been an embarrassment to the league. Nobody is sure what changes could be made but without a doubt, the rule will be addressed by the league.

Top Bottom