• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
I'd say that you would need to see something concrete that showed intent - the play developed so quickly that I think Gryba could reasonably say he was hitting 'through the body'.
Well, again I don't think you need to see intent. Recklessness has also been suspendable.

The play developed quickly, but it didn't CHANGE quickly and that's what matters. IMO he had enough time to read the play to make that hit and the most important factor here is that there isn't any random variable (eg, Eller suddenly dipping his head or changing trajectory) that could excuse him.

Alucard

Banned
You sound really salty that Subban will be a better D-man then Letang for a long time.

Halak stole that series, I've never said otherwise, and I can't believe they gave $6 M to the goalie that every NHL scout, gm and coach says is one of the best in the league and world.

PK Subban: best dman to never win a Stanley Cup? Time will tell!

I'm perfectly happy with Letang.

You must have gotten bored of watching the one highlight package of that 12 year old prospect you guys have and need to resort to terrible trolling eh?

I'm just pointing out that the team that apparently is clearly the better team didn't feel like showing up in the third period. Seems to be inconsistent logic.

Good zinger though.

Delryk

Not sure whats worse. Losing 4-1 to Boston and knowing its your worse effort of the year. Or losing 4-2 to Ottawa while dominating most of the game.

Socreges

Banned
That's a solid reading of the rule, and I agree with your clarification as to that.

Bit of a moot point though, the TSN panel - especially Kerry Fraser - did a pretty good job of convincing me that the hit was perhaps more legal than even I had been thinking initially. On the reverse angle it certainly does look like there was solid body to body contact before Gryba's shoulder hit Eller's head, and "principle contact to the head" is literally the only aspect of that hit that anyone can even argue was illegal.

Awful result of course, let's hope Eller's wasn't concussed (unlikely but it happens, you can get knocked out without getting a concussion, but hitting your face on the ice after sure makes it seem like a huge longshot) or at least not badly.
Alright, that would change everything. I looked at it in super slow-mo from multiple angles and didn't see any significant contact before the shoulder to the head. *shrug*

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man so close for the rangers there

The primary difference in this game is that the Caps converted their one major breakaway, and Hagelin beat Holtby but missed the net on two of them.

That and the fact that we flat out can't take 5 penalties and still expect to win against this team.

Half the Sens team are rookies who were probably shitting their jocks in their first playoff game at the Bell Centre in Montreal of all places.

I expect it will be less lopsided as they calm down and get more comfortable out there.

Good win, winning games you don't deserve to win is what it takes sometimes.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 9s
Note: it's permissible for NHL players to hit each other in head, even concuss, as long as it's body-on-body hit (see Stuart on Landeskog).

Trust in Bob.

calder

Ignoring the hit for a minute, you have to be impressed by what the Sens did in this game. I thought it was going to be 5-1 after Gallagher scored.

And think back to the Greening play - at the time I felt like the refs kind of gave him a gift in not calling that delay of game and, perhaps, were evening up the major.

Anyway, let's hope the Blues/Kings game is half as good as the last one.

After a dominating performance, the majestic habs have fallen to the lowly sens.

Hey Montreal fans how about you take a fucking seat next time

take-a-seat-vector-pack_7695.jpg

Salty as fuck tonight my God.

Alucard

Banned
"Remember that awesome game PK Subban had in game 1 of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs against Ottawa?"

"Didn't Ottawa win that game 4-2?"

"Yeah, but Subban..."

"Shut up."

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just got home, decided to make gifs of a couple angles of the Eller hit. Honestly, I don't see much of a shoulder-to-head contact there? Especially the last 2 angles make it look like it wasn't the principal point of impact. You judge yourself, though.

(sorry for the data-intensive gif post)

iqddEprzetzJ2.gif

ibaXylG5vxj6Vy.gif

iIPPJcpgJefud.gif

iKL2Ezsx8FuSE.gif

Anyone from Wings/Ducks/STL/LA-GAF specifically requesting gifs from one of those games? I can get it fast from the CBC stream for STL/LA, slightly (2mins ish) time-delayed from the GCL feed for Detroit/Ducks I think. -shrugs-

ShaneB

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 9s
Note: it's permissible for NHL players to hit each other in head, even concuss, as long as it's body-on-body hit (see Stuart on Landeskog).

Trust in Bob.

And we're back.

and I've gotta say, this is a incredible stupid ruling.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
That doughty call earlier was ABSOLUTE HORSESHIT

Yes, it was so bad that even after 10 minutes of GAF being down I still had to say it

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ignoring the hit for a minute, you have to be impressed by what the Sens did in this game. I thought it was going to be 5-1 after Gallagher scored.

And think back to the Greening play - at the time I felt like the refs kind of gave him a gift in not calling that delay of game and, perhaps, were evening up the major.

Anyway, let's hope the Blues/Kings game is half as good as the last one.
Also missed that goalie interference on Anderson. So it evens out.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
After a dominating performance, the majestic habs have fallen to the lowly sens.

Hey Montreal fans how about you take a fucking seat next time

take-a-seat-vector-pack_7695.jpg

Salty as fuck tonight my God.

Yes we should all learn from the Sens fans. They should just sit on their ass and never make any noise at the arena.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Habs lost their best forward of the past 7-8 weeks.

I think the series ended right there.
Honestly, I feel the same way. It'll be really interesting to see how the team responds tomorrow night, but I'm not expecting much now.

"Remember that awesome game PK Subban had in game 1 of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs against Ottawa?"

"Didn't Ottawa win that game 4-2?"

"Yeah, but Subban..."

"Shut up."
"Remember game 7 of the playoffs in 2010 when Fleury let in 4 goals against the #8 Habs and got pulled?"

"Yea, didn't they get their asshole torn open in 2011 too by the Flyers?"

"Yea, but Crosby is the best play..."

"Shut up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom