• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
White, Prust, Moen....but I feel like Therrien told them to win the game for him, not beat up other guys. That's not the Habs game and they'll lose if they try that shit, like the game Pens stretched the Sens because they tried to go after Cooke.

I realize that there's not really a place for that shit in the playoffs, but that shit can't slide.

Socreges

Banned
Your argument doesn't make much sense to me tbh. If you don't think Gryba went in hoping to hit Ellers head than how can it still be intentional targeting?
What I'm saying makes more sense if you have the NHL language right in front of you:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.
Precedent has been that we don't need to KNOW that the player was thinking "I am going to hit him in the head" in order to determine that the head was "targeted". In other words, the player is accountable for where he ends up hitting [unless the opponent shifted his body immediately before the hit, making himself vulnerable]. Carelessness doesn't absolve you from an "Illegal Check to the Head".

Solo

LOL Karlsson. Terrible defender. 2 horrible turnovers in front of his own net. Shoulda just been a forward.

calder

Obvious goalie interference but did Anderson really need to add in the one and a half twist to the end? I guess better to make it undeniable rather than hope the refs see the stick lol

Cactus

Banned
Obvious goalie interference but did Anderson really need to add in the one and a half twist to the end? I guess better to make it undeniable rather than hope the refs see the stick lol
Pretty much. Cant trust the ref to make the right call, I guess.

Call a penalty or call it a goal. That's just bush league stuff. Players being called off face-offs constantly, penalty for embellishment AND cross checking...

Those guys won't ref another series ever.

LOL Karlsson. Terrible defender. 2 horrible turnovers in front of his own net. Shoulda just been a forward.
7Epu62T.gif

Then what is? I don't think it was premeditated (ie, Gryba went in hoping to connect with the head), but there was no change in Eller's trajectory and Gryba caught him squarely in the head. You've got to call that intentional targeting or the term doesn't mean anything.

I'd say that you would need to see something concrete that showed intent - the play developed so quickly that I think Gryba could reasonably say he was hitting 'through the body'.

Of course, I think these kinds of hits need to be eliminated from the game, but that won't happen until the league figured out a way to distribute *more* risk to the player delivering the check, like soft shoulder pads.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I've been saying this as long as he's been in the league. Great offensive talent, mediocre D.

Good for you for sticking with what you believe, however it's absolutely false. There's still some rust in Karlsson's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom