• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Perspective. Those posts are from July 2013, before Price put himself on the map with his Olympics performance. I bet if you go even further back you could find Habs fans up in arms over the Halak trade and how Price won't ever reach that level. I guess those fans are eating crow now.

Speaking of which.... Look what I dug up :p

(Solo, in particular, went insane)

habs just made another P Roy trade.

Good job!
:( Gauthier sucks
HALAK IS GONE!!!

HALAK IS GONE!!!

FUCKKK!

FUCKKK!! Fuck you Gainey and your fucking puppet!
Hey guys what's happening I just got....
1idbfm.gif

FUUUUCCCCKKKKKK
Guys don't ever complain about your GMs, because there's no way they're worse then Gauthier.
Worst trade ever.
WTH ???????????????????????
Seriously f. u Gayney, I hope you burn in hell.

edit : worst part is, now Price is our number one. We are fucked.
WTF I just heard

:_(

Jesus motherfucking christ Habs
Price sucks dick man. Jesus, this is a disaster.
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

This makes no fucking sense at all, getting rid of our best goalie in years for practically nothing and giving the job to a little bitch like price. This is so fucking stupid
A franchise goalie for a bag of pucks is a good trade? This will fuck us over for the next 5 years. That ECF run we just enjoyed? Remember it fondly, because we wont get that far again in the Price era.
He won't. This is Patrick Roy 1995 shades of awful.

Gainey isnt Montreal's GM anymore....

Parch

No doubt Price is in the groove and puts the Habs to the next level, but it's still a good team game by Montreal and I'm still believing that a goaltender is only as good as the team in front of him.

Is Talbot as good as Lundqvist? Or is it the team in front of him? Put Price on the Oilers and you won't see the same goaltending results.

Quick

Banned
Ain't even gonna call out any Habs fans here. They were still high off Halak's playoff performance. Even I was surprised the Habs traded him, I was thinking he'd at least battle with Price for the #1 the following season.

I guess it turned out alright anyway. Price ended up being the goaltender the Habs were hoping for him to be.

Though, Razorskin was correct: Gauthier was a terrible GM.

Bonus:

Sooooooooo hockey fans

Worst deal thus fars? Kessel for 2 no. 1s, a 2, and a 3 OR Halak for these prospects

Kuro keeping it real.

zroid

Banned
you could probably write a book with all the dumb shit almost all of us have said in hindsight :lol

I can live with myself knowing that I've definitely said less dumb shit than Leafs' management over the years (not a high bar, I know) :p

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
To be fair to Habs fans, the rest of the league was laughing at the decision to trade Halak as well. In the end, the Habs that got the franchise goaltender and easily made the right decision and it's Habs fans reaping the rewards now.

The point is that a lot of Habs fans who have watched him develop since he was drafted knew he would be able to reach a point of vying for top goalie in the league, while most other fans had already written him off because of a couple meh seasons. A lot of his struggles were do to lack of maturity in his game which has been the biggest improvement in him, and Waite has been able to stabilize him. His level of play now is historically one of the best ever, I doubt he'll replicate this season again, but he should be at the top of the league in terms of goal tending for years to come. I see Schneider as a top 5 goalie now, the fact NJ is going to miss the playoffs with the numbers he put up this season is insane.

Well, yes it would be expected that a team's fans would be the most informed and the most devoted to a particular player's potential. :p

you could probably write a book with all the dumb shit almost all of us have said in hindsight :lol

I can live with myself knowing that I've definitely said less dumb shit than Leafs' management over the years (not a high bar, I know) :p

It's part of following sports, everyone has an angle. Not really wrong or right at the time, just opinions.

I just keep my posts to KESSELELELELELEL to avoid this

zroid

Banned
It's part of following sports, everyone has an angle. Not really wrong or right at the time, just opinions.

I just keep my posts to KESSELELELELELEL to avoid this

Yeah that's part of why I now try to take an analytics based approach whenever possible, not just because I think it's a more accurate tool, but I don't trust myself to not be super biased from the "eye test". That's not to say you can't introduce bias in statistical analyses, but it's easier to detect and root out.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Speaking of which.... Look what I dug up :p

(Solo, in particular, went insane)
I think a lot of Habs fans were more pissed about the return than anything else at that point. I didn't want either of them to leave, but I was upset at the return at the time too. Seemed low considering what he had just accomplished.

No doubt Price is in the groove and puts the Habs to the next level, but it's still a good team game by Montreal and I'm still believing that a goaltender is only as good as the team in front of him.

Is Talbot as good as Lundqvist? Or is it the team in front of him? Put Price on the Oilers and you won't see the same goaltending results.
This isn't true at all. Stats show Price faces some of the highest amount of shots and quality of shots. In terms of possession Montreal has been near Edmonton most of the season.

Lines against Nashville

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Parenteau

Gallagher – Plekanec – Galchenyuk

Smith-Pelly – Eller – De La Rose

Prust – Malhotra/Mitchell

Flynn

Subban – Markov

Emelin – Petry

Beaulieu – Pateryn

Gonchar-Weaver

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Hmmmmmm

On the left is Price, on the right is Scrivens.

Socreges

Banned
lol @ "gayney" tucked away in there. Shit that would get you perma'd nowadays

Well, yes it would be expected that a team's fans would be the most informed and the most devoted to a particular player's potential. :p
Eh that's not how fans work. They simply believe in the players they need to. Faith investments are always made. Sometimes their faith is rewarded, but just as often it really isn't.

Consider the Halak/Eller trade. Eller immediately became a huge focal point, largely because Habs fans desperately wanted to be rewarded for losing Halak.

Red_Man

Eh that's not how fans work. They simply believe in the players they need to. Faith investments are always made. Sometimes their faith is rewarded, but just as often it really isn't.

Consider the Halak/Eller trade. Eller immediately became a huge focal point, largely because Habs fans desperately wanted to be rewarded for losing Halak.
I agree with this for the most part, but Price's performance and accomplishments prior to entering the league showed he was a special talent. For anyone who's paid attention to him has known he's always had the skill set, it was just his maturity that was lacking.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'll say one thing about this terrible season. I see Darren Dreger in a new light.

Really saw how much of a bitch he can be this year.

Quick

Banned
I'll say one thing about this terrible season. I see Darren Dreger in a new light.

Really saw how much of a bitch he can be this year.

Having been too busy to keep up with the media circus this season, it's interesting to see the shift in perception about Dreger around here.

I already don't have high opinion on Bob McKenzie outside of the information he provides, but I never really liked Dreger either outside of the same info he relays.

zroid

Banned
Having been too busy to keep up with the media circus this season, it's interesting to see the shift in perception about Dreger around here.

I already don't have high opinion on Bob McKenzie outside of the information he provides, but I never really liked Dreger either outside of the same info he relays.

I really like McKenzie's analysis (he's easily the best regular commentator on either Sportsnet or TSN), so it was pretty disappointing for me to hear of your bad personal experience with him. :(

Dreger is just a stooge

Yawnier

Banned

What did McKenzie do? Did he insult the manifesto?

Red_Man

The worst part about Dreger is he's still a great insider with a lot of connections, but his covering up for Nonis all season just diminishes his rep. I've lost a lot of respect for him, but I still understand he has a lot of connections.

zroid

Banned
The worst part about Dreger is he's still a great insider with a lot of connections, but his covering up for Nonis all season just diminishes his rep. I've lost a lot of respect for him, but I still understand he has a lot of connections.

I will be interested to see how he fares once Nonis is fired in a couple months

Nonis had better be fired in a couple months

Quick

Banned
I really like McKenzie's analysis (he's easily the best regular commentator on either Sportsnet or TSN), so it was pretty disappointing for me to hear of your bad personal experience with him. :(

Dreger is just a stooge

I don't hate him on air, since he goes straight to the point with his information. He's the most reliable insider on TSN, I think. I'd easily trust him over Dreger or Ward - not that their information have really contradicted (I think it was Bob who broke the Iginla to Pens vs. Ward with Boston). Ward's hilarious though.

On top of my personal experience with him, I was close to just unfollowing the guy on Twitter because he can be a real bitch on it when people call him out or replied negatively to anything he said.

What did McKenzie do? Did he insult the manifesto?

Met him in person a couple of times, came off as really stuck up and pompous when we interacted.

Parch

On the left is Price, on the right is Scrivens.
Of course they're not interchangeable. Price is by far the best goaltender in the league right now. Scrivens is a (censored to be polite).

Goaltending fluctuates so much from year to year. Pre-season had Rask the best goaltender. Boston has a off year and he doesn't look so good anymore. His fault or the team's fault?

No doubt, Price is great (right now). Fully worthy of the Vezina and Hart. I've seen worshipers saying Montreal doesn't make the playoffs without him. I'm willing to give the team a little more credit than that. They're not just riding on the Price coattails and actually have a lot to do with his success.

Yawnier

Banned
Met him in person a couple of times, came off as really stuck up and pompous when we interacted.

Oh wow.

On the topic of Dreger he was knocked down a few pegs in my books when he was on Dave Naylor several weeks ago and threw some stupid jabs at kessel.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

That's basically how I feel. It's just been interesting to see.

It makes me so gosh darn (not swearing for clydefrog) upset!

Samyy

Need some hits? Kessel is fat
Slow news day? Kessel is fat
Someone provided concrete, thorough criticism of your work that, for a brief moment, makes you question what you say and write? Wait nevermind Kessel is fat.

Quick

Banned
My experience with sports media personalities:

Bob - Well, you know.

Kypreos - I was sitting on a bench and he was beside me talking on his phone, and we made eye contact. Then he started pacing back and forth closer to me, still on his phone and looking at me. It was an odd moment.

Cybulski - We talked quick, seemed like a chill dude.

Healy - Something of a people's champ. He'll take the slap on the arm or the random handshake out of nowhere. Another friend of mine says he's also a nice guy. I'd like to think he's just doing that to keep up appearances, but I can't judge since we didn't really talk.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Of course they're not interchangeable. Price is by far the best goaltender in the league right now. Scrivens is a (censored to be polite).

Goaltending fluctuates so much from year to year. Pre-season had Rask the best goaltender. Boston has a off year and he doesn't look so good anymore. His fault or the team's fault?

No doubt, Price is great (right now). Fully worthy of the Vezina and Hart. I've seen worshipers saying Montreal doesn't make the playoffs without him. I'm willing to give the team a little more credit than that. They're not just riding on the Price coattails and actually have a lot to do with his success.

Just showing that Montreal is hardly a good defensive team, Therrien is getting a lot of credit for doing nothing really. His system consists of "chip the puck off the boards" as much as possible. Outside of Pacioretty, there's no real scoring either, even Eller, who has gone on a point streak recently, is doing it with help from Pacioretty, whom he almost never plays with, over his regular linemates.

To your second point, those people are talking about replacing Price with a "league average" goaltender. I think the league average save percentage right now is .914, and if Montreal had a goalie putting up those numbers they would have given up an extra 27 goals or something, and considering the number of one-goal wins they've had, they'd miss out on a bunch of points.

Aw shit it's Kaep!

How's it going?

I'm in love with a girl and I don't know how she feels about me. Hopefully this weekend goes as planned.

Job searching sucks.

My father got pulled off of chemo and his kidneys are giving out. Sucks but expect.

Kings might miss the playoffs.

Clydefrog

Kings are going to sneak in.

I'm back like Mike Richards.

Welcome back!

Unfortunately, since you’ve been gone, no new Kings fans have popped up. Unfortunately again, the Ducks group here is the same. Calamari will probably quote this and mention something about domestic violence.

CreeperBlocks is now known as Habs Cat.

RC (the Tom Selleck freak) is now happy because the Canucks beat the Kings one time.

Quick is soviet.

Kave Man is nearly good enough at hockey now to play for the Leafs.

Welcome back!

Unfortunately, since you’ve been gone, no new Kings fans have popped up. Unfortunately again, the Ducks group here is the same. Calamari will probably quote this and mention something about domestic violence.

CreeperBlocks is now known as Habs Cat.

RC (the Tom Selleck freak) is now happy because the Canucks beat the Kings one time.

Quick is soviet.

Kave Man is nearly good enough at hockey now to play for the Leafs.

lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Put me on the ambivalent Bob train and the annoyed go to fucking hell Darren train.

Darren must like sucking on Nonis' balls or something. Dude can't be objective about his distant cousin.

Bob is informative, BUT the thing that irritates me about him is that he is balanced to the point where he won't say very much at times and stays safe. He COULD be traded, but I wouldn't be surprised if management changes their mind. The Leafs COULD sign him, but look to other teams to have high interest as well. Toronto is a prime destination; however, keep in mind the other teams are blah blah blah.

Are you prepared (spiritually, emotionally, psychologically) for the day in June when Shanahan gives him a 2 year extension?
Eh, let him extend him. He seems to be relegated to another assistant GM anyways with Shanahan calling the shots. If everything is by committee as they say, I don't see the analytics part of management agreeing with another Clarkson signing. He's there for his contacts and his relationships with other GMs in the league.

Top Bottom