• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL13 EASHL - Natural Born Penalty Killers |OT2| Cheese, Chimps and Championships

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The hitting in NHL 13 is one of the most broken aspects of the game, hopefully this time around its not a pile of shit. Won't believe anything until I play it.

Stat!

Pretty neat. Hopefully there will actually be penalties now for late hits.

EA later released this blog

Interference – Expect stricter calls. Defenders won’t be able to hit attacking players as late after they release the puck.

Also, they're calling charging now too.

...And apparently, *this* is the year that goalies are now actually live (as oppose to every year since NHL 10/11 where goalies were "live".

EA later released this blog

Interference – Expect stricter calls. Defenders won’t be able to hit attacking players as late after they release the puck.

Also, they're calling charging now too.

...And apparently, *this* is the year that goalies are now actually live (as oppose to every year since NHL 10/11 where goalies were "live".

they were "live" in NHL12 until people complained too much about goalie interference being called too much

you are gonna be knocking them over everytime in NHL14with your "right-left" move ;)

I have the new thread done, ill put it up next week after the demo drops so we can start discussing strategies and more important stuff like which design to put on the socks of our first jerseys...

Stat!

I have the new thread done, ill put it up next week after the demo drops so we can start discussing strategies and more important stuff like which design to put on the socks of our first jerseys...

Great to hear Vis. Looking forward to reading/seeing it.

One of the things I can't wait for is the PP going to be upgraded. One of the things that hasn't been talked about is the goalies reading the forehand/cheating and being screened on passes now.

I am getting more hyped for NHL 14.

Great to hear Vis. Looking forward to reading/seeing it.

One of the things I can't wait for is the PP going to be upgraded. One of the things that hasn't been talked about is the goalies reading the forehand/cheating and being screened on passes now.

I am getting more hyped for NHL 14.

No NHL14 discussion in here.

Don't go off topic again or I'll PM a mod

so I can finish up the new thread's banner, how do you want the new club name spelled out?

1) Most Valuable Primates
2) GAF MostValuablePrimates
3) GAFs MostValuablePrimates

Stat!

so I can finish up the new thread's banner, how do you want the new club name spelled out?

1) Most Valuable Primates
2) GAF MostValuablePrimates
3) GAFs MostValuablePrimates

We're NeoGAF's team. We should have Gaf in the our name.

So I vote 2.

Or instead of having our name with no spaces, why not just The GAF Primates?

Stat!

I know right. Game looks amazing, I can't wait.

edit: GTA online GAF MVP gang. Pretty sure I know what colour Milly's character won't be ;)

Absolutely. The game looks incredible. A GAF MVP Gang would be awesome.

Honestly, I'm kinda hoping GTAV has EASHL NHL 14 inside the online world cause GTAV looks fantastic and its going to take time away from my EASHL.

Milly79

I don't know if I want to pick of GTA or not. I'm thinking NHL will be my last buy for this gen. I have a lot of games to play on PC. Plus, GTA IV was terrible. Hated it so much. SV was way better.

Viz, how is Payday 2?

Pretty cool and unique when you get 3 or 4 players. The A.I. both friendly and enemy is pretty awful tho. It's only challenging due to the sheer numbers they throw at you.

It only cost $40 but I still feel misled by the lack of content as they hyped have a ton of different heists (30+) but turns out more than half use the same recycled levels. There is some variety with the placement of safes, vaults and initial guard patrol placements being random but the game gets a bit monotonous unless you are playing with a fun bunch of people.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty cool and unique when you get 3 or 4 players. The A.I. both friendly and enemy is pretty awful tho. It's only challenging due to the sheer numbers they throw at you.

It only cost $40 but I still feel misled by the lack of content as they hyped have a ton of different heists (30+) but turns out more than half use the same recycled levels. There is some variety with the placement of safes, vaults and initial guard patrol placements being random but the game gets a bit monotonous unless you are playing with a fun bunch of people.

I was thinking of picking it up, but I would only want to play with 3 other people I know. They were talking about it on the Weekend Confirmed podcast and it sounded neat.

I was thinking of picking it up, but I would only want to play with 3 other people I know. They were talking about it on the Weekend Confirmed podcast and it sounded neat.

Yea if you can convince a couple people to pick it up I'd say its worth playing. There is some real fun stuff to do. The game is a bit "grindy" tho as it takes awhile to accrue enough spending money to buy new weapons, masks and upgrades, but the upgrade paths are really interesting as you can specialize in a bunch of different areas.

My build right is focused on skills related to drilling vaults faster to help out since that's usually the biggest part of the game (waiting for doors, safes and vaults to be drilled, while you hold off the cops) Check out this:
http://www.pd2skills.info/

Delryk

I don't know if I want to pick of GTA or not. I'm thinking NHL will be my last buy for this gen. I have a lot of games to play on PC. Plus, GTA IV was terrible. Hated it so much. SV was way better.

sh-t-just-goat-serious-literally_o_1133943.jpg

i played for about an hour and here's what stood out:

OFFENSE
  • biggest change seems that slapshots are now lethal, you can get goals from unscreened slapshots a lot, scored a clean 5 hole slapshot goal
  • the reverse spin-o-rama move is different, faster and more fluid. It might be really useful this year
  • You can't fake a wrist shot while you have it curled, click the right-stick does nothing, like you are locked into that animation now
  • Aces move is hit or miss, you still fake them out just as much but even when it feels like you have them beat clean if the puck isnt lifted their pad will stop it more than not now
  • you only lose windup fake slapshots moving side to side. Moving forwards and holding it down for awhile you now pick it up seemingly 100% of the time, moop will love how this feels
  • there is now a short windup fake slapshot that works consistently well, this works well for D-men at the point not getting locked into the long windup fake and turning it over
  • shot power in general seems a lot higher for all shots, saw an unscreened wrist shot go in for just inside the blueline top shelf :(
  • juicy rebounds are still there on most weak shots
  • full charged passes are received 100%, no bobbles
  • fully charged pass power seems lower
  • no more accidentally hitting people when trying to shoot on rebounds because right-stick isnt body check anymore (despite what the controls diagram says when you load the game up)
  • quick deke toe drag is pretty nasty and useful

DEFENSE/FIGHTING
  • weird pivoting is gone
  • hitting feels really good, you have to commit most times and build up a little momentum but when you catch someone, as long as its not someone tough like Chara or Lucic they go down. Because you need to drive at someone to take them down there is a lot more nudging and bumping if you dont build up the momentum needed to knock them down especially in close corners along the boards and in corners which feels/looks good. which means a power forward might be able to control/protect the puck now along the boards without getting dumped as easy
  • ive hit tons of guys REALLLY late and not 1 penalty has been called, chimp tactics look to be legal still :(
  • you can deflect slapshots during a players windup or as they are following thru even if you are late closing players down, last year there was some invulnerability to this and they could shoot thru you
  • no more autoaim poke check that works while skating the wrong way
  • guys stumble sometimes after getting up from being knocked out in fights
  • they show replays of the fights
  • goalie throws the puck out in traffic a lot more
  • chop takes getting used to but works good now that the game doesnt pick and choose for you, still some wonky times where you miss when you shouldnt
  • lots of grabbing after the whistle, looks good, should prevent chimps from trying to knock you down all the time

Stat!

I've played for about 10 minutes this morning.

The hitting is pretty awesome especially when you nail someone. I tried nailing someone with Kane? Nothing. But I caught someone chasing the puck along the boards with Hjmarlsson and I crushed him. Bergeron came into fight Hjmarlsson but Bickell came in and took Bergeron. Bergeron punched me once, then I one punched Bergeron KO.

I also got a tripping minor because I went to pokecheck Chara but I tripped Kane instead.

Also, poke checking got a huge nerf/timing is different.

And Viz? What's bodycheck then? I've been using the right stick.

And Viz? What's bodycheck then? I've been using the right stick.

there's no button for bodycheck you just move into them with the left stick, its all momentum based
you may be flicking right-stick but that's not what's actually causing the check, it does nothing
click right-stick will still give you the hip check

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not sure if its due to playing with a stacked team like Chicago, but moving the puck seems easier and more lethal this time around. I'm loving the one touch deke, I thought I'd hate it but I'm sure there will be a million exploits of it within 6 hours.

Edit: Also it feels like setting up plays is easier, I set up some nasty plays quite easily. I'm finding the gameplay is more rewarding for intuitive plays and behaviour, which is good for us as a team seeing as that was one of our biggest strengths last season. I didn't notice anything different about face offs.

moop1167

I haven't played it yet but keep in mind some of the sliders will probably be all exaggerated to "show off" some of the new features.

Top Bottom