• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

So, at pax east they pretty much confirmed that if there's enough demand. Drakengard Collection PS4 is going to happen.

drakengard_and_nier_replicant__gestalt_for_ps4_by_marblegallery7-dazq4i1.jpg

I know people don't like these petitions but if no one is gonna make one, I'll do it. I won't miss a chance to get Drakengard 3 for PS4.
Drakengard 3 in 60 fps... I don't think I can even understand the concept.

Regarding Drakengard 1, newcomers would probably be repelled by it now gameplay-wise. Was just revisiting it and Drakengard 2 on PS2 and whatever else one thinks of 2 it had some major gameplay improvements. But still clunky. However, being so familiar with the first game I still dig it. And it SO nails the feel of a fantastic/magical medieval apocalypse.

OTOH, considered picking up a cheap PS3 for the third game, Folklore, and some other oddball exclusives that I would likely enjoy.

Capra

Been playing this game non-stop since yesterday. I fucking love it so far... BUT...

Vague spoilers Losing the ability to finish most of my in-progress quests with no warning is frustrating as fuck. I know NG+ will let me redo them, but come on.

So what's the best level to fight
Emil
? I'm level 60 and i'm still getting 2 shotted by him. Hacking him takes forever and when I'm successful it only takes like 5% of his health.

Loved reading the story for the Iron Pipe plus seeing what side character
Emil had created
, especially since I'm fresh off a thorough playthrough of original Nier. Another part of the experience includes getting honestly pissed off at someone's manipulations at the end of a side quest, heh. I won't reference it any further, best to let it play out for oneself.

Freeman76

So glad I sold Horizon and got this, was debating it for a while but was definitely the right choice for me, gameplay in this feels really fresh and the way it switches genres seamlessly is right up my street. And no witcher sense in sight :)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gotta say, Route B is far more fun and different feeling than I expected. People have been really underselling how impactful the changes are.

Forget remasters, they need to just moderately remake the games. Not FF7 style obviously, but straight forward remakes with Platinum handling the gameplay and some design decisions being altered to accommodate modern sensibilities. Something along the lines of OoT and Majora's Mask for 3DS, but a bit more ambitious.

Also, Nier should be a combo version that allows Gestalt or Replicant, given the minimal differences.

Do we know if Gestalt or Replicant is the canon one for Automata? I know a few years difference in the timelines doesn't matter when we're talking about events thousands of years later, but I wasn't sure if anything in the game (or in interviews) gave any indication.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know if Gestalt or Replicant is the canon one for Automata? I know a few years difference in the timelines doesn't matter when we're talking about events thousands of years later, but I wasn't sure if anything in the game (or in interviews) gave any indication.

It's both, there are weapon stories that reference both games

Hektor

Taro once said in an interview that the world exists in an endless loop with minor variations per cycle to explain them both as canon.

The maxed Iron Pipe has a lovely little story about
Yonah and her father Nier
. I heard that the other variant gets a similar mention somewhere.

Nap1400

The weapon stories for the Virtuous Dignity and Cruel Arrogance pretty obviously refer to Brother Nier and Father Nier respectively at level 4, so it's still probably left ambiguous.

I'm pretty sure Replicant is. Most of the supplementary material referenced brother Nier.

Taro once said in an interview that the world exists in an endless loop with minor variations per cycle to explain them both as canon.

I never liked this explanation sicne it doesn't really make sense within the context of universe.

Like I can buy that there's both a brother and father Nier who are constantly being reborn on a cycle, but that would also mean that there are two Shadowlords and that doesn't make sense at all, Since humanity should've been fucked whenever the first one died.

Shifty

This has been untagged approximately 50,000 times in this thread already, and was confirmed by the developers before the game's release, that at this point I feel it's like, eh.

I've been following the thread pretty closely since I'm waiting on the PC version, and this is the most explicit example I've seen. The dev confirmation was implicit at best.

Granted the supposed spoiler is easily intuited if it's what I think it is, but casually confirming
route B changes
still falls into tag territory imo.

Hektor

Like I can buy that there's both a brother and father Nier who are constantly being reborn on a cycle, but that would also mean that there are two Shadowlords and that doesn't make sense at all, Since humanity should've been fucked whenever the first one died.

Humanity is fucked when shadowlord dies, there's only one at any given time, just like there is only one Nier at any given time, it's just that the world at some point is being reborn and humanity with it, repeating everything that happened during the last cycle with a new humanity, a new Nier and a new shadowlord

Sevyne

No what that means is that in one word cycle he was a brother. Then in a new cycle he was a father. As said, each cycle has minor variants on itself. This would also mean there is only one Shadowlord because only one Nier exists in a single cycle.

Capra

My knowledge of NieR lore is spotty because I never actually played the first, but isn't it canon that
Original NieR spoilers both Gestalt and Replicant occur in parallel universes which actually overlap at some point after the first game?

Humanity is fucked when shadowlord dies, there's only one at any given time, just like there is only one Nier at any given time, it's just that the world at some point is being reborn and humanity with it, repeating everything that happened during the last cycle with a new humanity, a new Nier and a new shadowlord

Is that the explanation? I thought what he said was that it was due to the replicant process and that's what caused multiple Niers to be born during the same timeline, but different time periods. I'll have to reread Grimoire Nier I guess.

Hektor

Dumb question, how do you switch weapons? I know how to change sets, but how do you switch between number 1 and 2 weapon?

See the tagged posts above you for reference

My knowledge of NieR lore is spotty because I never actually played the first, but isn't it canon that
Original NieR spoilers both Gestalt and Replicant occur in parallel universes which actually overlap at some point after the first game?

You don't change between weapons, one of the weapons in each set is mapped to the light attack button and the other one is mapped to the strong attack button, depending on which slot you put them into.

Is that the explanation? I thought what he said was that it was due to the replicant process and that's what caused multiple Niers to be born during the same timeline, but different time periods. I'll have to reread Grimoire Nier I guess.

At least that's how i understood it

Shifty

Whoa.

Is that mentioned in Grimoire Nier or something? Never heard that one before.

Slater

Banned

It's canon that its a multiverse and both versions exist, Accords whole deal is that she can travel the multiverse, which is why all the weapons can still end up in the same place

Yeah Hektor is right. Taro explicitly said it wasn't parallel universes but just time looping over itself. I don't know why I thought they took place in the same timeline though.

Replicant and Gestalt are not parallel worlds. But are distinct patterns in an ever-repeating world. The main character and Yonah are sometimes siblings, and sometimes father and daughter.

Xliskin

Just finished Route A
the ending confused me is it supposed to be confusing ??! 2B said machines gained emotions unlike android but clearly she has emotions when she killed 9S

Top Bottom