• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Is it possible to miss endings? I just started Route B too but I didn't adventure much and just jumped in the mech right away. I'm worried I missed out on an ending now. :/

There is only one missable thing in the game, and it's part of high level bonus content that you won't see until you've done everything else. Don't worry.

chrono01

There is only one missable thing in the game, and it's part of high level bonus content that you won't see until you've done everything else. Don't worry.
Awesome, thanks man! I'll just keep pressing on and not worry about these things then.

I'm having a great time. Honestly, I'd be happy with my purchase for just Route A, the fact that I get even more in addition makes me very...very happy.

Anne

Grabbed this on PC on Friday and today finished up 100% quest completion among other things. Dunno if I'm gonna bother with some of this pod and data collecting nonsense though >_>

Exentryk

I legit put the controller down when the music started after
completing the Resistance Disappearance quest!
Good lord!

Demoskinos

Spoilers Route C/D:

Well then...that is....dark.

17309602_1227969243945817_2894812789166218374_n.jpg

Yeah got prompt
if I want to give up. Did no so keep going, not sure if there is an end

i don't know if it's possible to do alone. names turned invincible for me after some time. it's a very weird system, they don't want to you to win alone apparently. wasn't too happy with it.

I really need to finish the game in the next couple of days. I keep clicking black bars I think will be safe and getting hit with little bits I didn't know about

The curiosity and need to discuss is too much! Midway through C, saw a post that said "early C spoilers" and saw something that sure seems like a later payoff for early C, lol

So Im on route B and I just got to
the forest
and i have items to upgrade virtuous contract and treaty to level 3. Where can I make this upgrade. All shops I've visited have a dash where the cost should be and when I select the weapon to upgrade it says it cannot be enhanced at this location. Do I have to use the
forest blacksmith to go to level 3?

So Im on route B and I just got to
the forest
and i have items to upgrade virtuous contract and treaty to level 3. Where can I make this upgrade. All shops I've visited have a dash where the cost should be and when I select the weapon to upgrade it says it cannot be enhanced at this location. Do I have to use the
forest blacksmith to go to level 3?

yup.

When I tried it and failed, the quest had me go report back to the mother. After telling her what happened, she would only respond with "No..." I think it also marked it as completed after that, just with an 'x' instead of a checkmark to indicate that I was a horrible person who let a poor child die oh god

damn, that's pretty rough

glad i didn't fail

Question about Playthrough C, since Ive read conflicting things.

Im nearing the end of B, do the sidequests carry over to C? Or is it a seperate story mode for A2, and id have to wait until opening up the chapter select to finish anything off?

Arklite

Question about Playthrough C, since Ive read conflicting things.

Im nearing the end of B, do the sidequests carry over to C? Or is it a seperate story mode for A2, and id have to wait until opening up the chapter select to finish anything off?

C is its own thing, yes you'll have to wait till later for unfinished business.

ToKre

I legit put the controller down when the music started after
completing the Resistance Disappearance quest!
Good lord!

i can't open the door , i'm guessing the guy next to it with a fetch quest the i refused has something to do with it right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Some of the elevators not being able to be opened is strange. Perhaps more secrets than we had expected.

im just assuming they are opened in later route like the chests, is that not the case?

chrono01

Some of the elevators not being able to be opened is strange. Perhaps more secrets than we had expected.
There's absolutely nothing behind them. Nothing valuable at all.

But hey, to show your appreciation for making it this far, I think you deserve a gift. Since I have nothing on me, I will explode gloriously in a vast array of spare parts so that you might benefit from my demise. Enjoy!

*chrono01 self-destructs*

Theswweet

Man, coming from someone that imported the Japanese release just to play it earlier, and loved the first NieR, I can't say just how happy it makes me to see how well Automata has been received. Well deserved.

aravuus

But hey, to show your appreciation for making it this far, I think you deserve a gift. Since I have nothing on me, I will explode gloriously in a vast array of spare parts so that you might benefit from my demise. Enjoy!

Holy shit I loved that part lmao

Had totally forgotten about it

im just assuming they are opened in later route like the chests, is that not the case?
A couple, but not some that have been discovered.

Really? Shame.

I thought perhaps there may be something to them. It's even more interesting to me that there is nothing behind them now.

EDIT:

Is it possible to miss endings? I just started Route B too but I didn't adventure much and just jumped in the mech right away. I'm worried I missed out on an ending now. :/
Only Ending
Y

chrono01

Holy shit I loved that part lmao

Had totally forgotten about it
Yeah, one of the things that make this game so special. Yoko Taro is one of the gaming greats, that's for sure.

A couple, but not some that have been discovered.

Really? Shame.

I thought perhaps there may be something to them. It's even more interesting to me that there is nothing behind them now.
It was a joke. Well, kind of. When you play the game more you'll understand.

Some doors will open up over time, no worries. I'm only on Route B right now, but I've already gone through elevators that weren't accessible before so I'm sure that will only increase as I continue to venture onward.

Arklite

Amusing if those apologetic machine doors are really nothing. Their comments of being better off without truth were intriguing,
though I guess it could tie in to the of the world's helpless never ending circumstance.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh damn that
beastlord
heavy sword attack combined with a spear as the light attack looks fantastic :D

edit: oh nvm its any heavy weapon after a light spear attack... still looks awesome tho :p

Xliskin

Boy oh boy just finished all the endings , what a fucking game

I have question
what happened to ending A and B isn't 2B and 9S lived why the game skipped it ??

HeelPower

This game is not "fun."

Something just happened now,and its pretty disturbing. I mean..this is utterly depressing.

I obviously want to know all that happens ,but the game is pretty heavy right now.

The game is tapping into different things now.Its not about entertainment.

Rhaknar

so... how do you NOT obcess over
hidden stuff once you get the pod scanner
? :(

I feel like I have to constantly run around with it activated now ;_;

CatPee

This game is not "fun."

Something just happened now,and its pretty disturbing. I mean..this is utterly depressing.

I obviously want to know all that happens ,but the game is pretty heavy right now.

The game is tapping into different things now.Its not about entertainment.

What happened?

So I think I kinda fucked up. Or maybe Platinum did?

I decided to do some horde mode over at that pit in the desert
where the first boss fight is[/quote] in order to farm some mats for weapon upgrades. Endless spawning enemies, good for machine arms, legs, stuff like that. I hung out there for about an hour and a half...and fucked around and picked up like 20 levels.

As it turns out, the game doesn't really adjust to your level. Most enemies remained 10-20 levels below me at all times for the rest of the play through (maybe 7 or 8 more hours), no matter how many restarts. Sometimes the flying regular dudes would be my level...but the bosses would all be 20 levels below and get rekt in 10 seconds or less. It's as if the game just expects you to be around a certain level and too low the game feels like Dark Souls; too high and it mine as well be on easy mode. Game seems to give the same amount of XP for every level so it doesn't seem to be any harder to go from 61 to 62 than it did to go from 31 to 32.

I find that a very odd choice. You'd think the game would do regular checks to see what level you are and adjust the NPC levels accordingly to maintain the feeling of the difficulty setting chosen.

Hopefully the 3rd playthrough will even this out at some point, but idunno. I might have to put it on Very Hard to feel some challenge, but I like the convenience of the targeting button. IDK.

On another note, I'm happy to have gotten 12 weapons to Rank 4 with 3 or 4 more just a couple of items away.

So I think I kinda fucked up. Or maybe Platinum did?

I decided to do some horde mode over at that pit in the desert
where the first boss fight is
in order to farm some mats for weapon upgrades. Endless spawning enemies, good for machine arms, legs, stuff like that. I hung out there for about an hour and a half...and fucked around and picked up like 20 levels.

As it turns out, the game doesn't really adjust to your level. Most enemies remained 10-20 levels below me at all times for the rest of the play through (maybe 7 or 8 more hours), no matter how many restarts. Sometimes the flying regular dudes would be my level...but the bosses would all be 20 levels below and get rekt in 10 seconds or less. It's as if the game just expects you to be around a certain level and too low the game feels like Dark Souls; too high and it mine as well be on easy mode. Game seems to give the same amount of XP for every level so it doesn't seem to be any harder to go from 61 to 62 than it did to go from 31 to 32.

I find that a very odd choice. You'd think the game would do regular checks to see what level you are and adjust the NPC levels accordingly to maintain the feeling of the difficulty setting chosen.

Hopefully the 3rd playthrough will even this out at some point, but idunno. I might have to put it on Very Hard to feel some challenge, but I like the convenience of the targeting button. IDK.

On another note, I'm happy to have gotten 12 weapons to Rank 4 with 3 or 4 more just a couple of items away.

I mean, what you want is basically enemy level scaling. Most RPGs don't have that, and it's not a very popular design decision (see backlash to Bethesda RPGs). Getting overleveled tends to be the predictable consequence of grinding in most games. If you find that the game is too easy, I guess you could bump up the difficulty level?

I do agree, though, that maybe they made level more important for damage output than it perhaps should have been

silva1991

First death out side of demo area(killed by a pig lol)

What exactly am I losing here? I think I read somewhere that I need to retrieve something like Souls mechanic or something.

Top Bottom