• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the amount of dead bodies in
Adam's
room lol >_<

how far am I from Route A ending anyway? I just killed
Adam
and
sent 9S to the bunker for repairs and now im off to the factory to meet up with Pascal for info.

Arklite

If you don't find and retrieve your body you'll lose some of your equipped chips (skills) along with it. Ditto if you die again before retrieval.

Hektor

So I think I kinda fucked up. Or maybe Platinum did?

I decided to do some horde mode over at that pit in the desert
where the first boss fight is
in order to farm some mats for weapon upgrades. Endless spawning enemies, good for machine arms, legs, stuff like that. I hung out there for about an hour and a half...and fucked around and picked up like 20 levels.

As it turns out, the game doesn't really adjust to your level. Most enemies remained 10-20 levels below me at all times for the rest of the play through (maybe 7 or 8 more hours), no matter how many restarts. Sometimes the flying regular dudes would be my level...but the bosses would all be 20 levels below and get rekt in 10 seconds or less. It's as if the game just expects you to be around a certain level and too low the game feels like Dark Souls; too high and it mine as well be on easy mode. Game seems to give the same amount of XP for every level so it doesn't seem to be any harder to go from 61 to 62 than it did to go from 31 to 32.

I find that a very odd choice. You'd think the game would do regular checks to see what level you are and adjust the NPC levels accordingly to maintain the feeling of the difficulty setting chosen.

Hopefully the 3rd playthrough will even this out at some point, but idunno. I might have to put it on Very Hard to feel some challenge, but I like the convenience of the targeting button. IDK.

On another note, I'm happy to have gotten 12 weapons to Rank 4 with 3 or 4 more just a couple of items away.[/QUOTE]

That's how an RPG should be.
The process of levelling your characters is entirely pointless when the game checks you out and just scales the enemies as well.

That said, you can always crank up a higher difficulty if you feel prepared

Adam's
room lol >_<

Adam
and
sent 9S to the bunker for repairs and now im off to the factory to meet up with Pascal for info.

You're like 80% into Route A

Shahadan

Adam's
room lol >_<

Adam
and

Not much. The end events are basically just after what you're about to do.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not much. The end events are basically just after what you're about to do.

ah ok. Will I be able to access those 2 sidequest markers near the
factory
that I havent been able to yet at least? Ive done pretty much everything else I can find my way to, except the super high lvl stuff I decided to leave for later.

Arklite

The chip loss system is interesting but annoying. If you're playing on hard you almost want to not use your best chips because doing the retrieval animation at a boss fight puts you at high risk of dying again and losing them permanently. Reloading instead to not lose is then time consuming if you're struggling.

Milijango

ah ok. Will I be able to access those 2 sidequest markers near the
factory
that I havent been able to yet at least? Ive done pretty much everything else I can find my way to, except the super high lvl stuff I decided to leave for later.

The ones that are way below the facility? Don't worry about them.

Just finished Route A
(and G because I'm too curious haha).
and have loved the start to Route B so far. In most games, the intro sequence with
the robot 'brothers'
would have been frustrating...and it was, but it's so charmingly done that
after first dropping the oil everywhere for jumping and then tripping over a girder the second time,
I was just laughing so hard. Loved playing the intro from
9S' perspective
too.

Love this game so much.

HeelPower

Well yea, I'm aware it would be a story spoiler. I'm just curious which segment specifically is causing this distress for you. :p

Route C spoilers concerning pascal
the whole thing with the burning of the peaceful village,then in the factory, the nonsensical slaughter ,and failure to achieve or protect anything(despite A2 and Pascal clearly trying hard)..Then a choice between killing him or deleting his memories.

iFirez

I picked this up on PSN last night and am going to start playing it after work today. Anything people want to let me know before diving in? Difficulties? I know next to nothing about the game, so I'm going in almost 100% blind.

In some ways, this game is hitting harder than the first Nier.

I picked this up on PSN last night and am going to start playing it after work today. Anything people want to let me know before diving in? Difficulties? I know next to nothing about the game, so I'm going in almost 100% blind.

You can't save in the first hour. Game warns you about this, but people gripe anyway, so put that shit on Easy to blaze through it.
You can charge your pod weapon.
Dodge, a lot.
Get ready for feelios.

OniBaka

Route C spoilers concerning pascal
the whole thing with the burning of the peaceful village,then in the factory, the nonsensical slaughter ,and failure to achieve or protect anything(despite A2 and Pascal clearly trying hard)..Then a choice between killing him or deleting his memories.
Yeah it was really heavy, can't think of game that has these extreme choices. Really puts a tear in your eye.

HeelPower

Yeah it was really heavy, can't think of game that has these extreme choices. Really puts a tear in your eye.

The worst part is
no one knows whats going or why things are the way they are..And i don't even expect a clean cut answer at this point. I think its just asking us to reflect on our own situations and how we cope.

I more or less flew through route A because I wanted to see what the heck was going on. Digging into the sidequests now and these are pretty damn great.

The one when you go back to the Amusement Park lmao

Pisseth Off

Shahed

Okay I just finished Route C and at the end I
chose A2
. I suppose going back and picking the other choice will be ending D? Does E follow on from there? Had to go work before I could carry on, but i had a brief look at the chapter select part.

I'm missing a few sidequests here and there and am currently on 92%. However I got them by looking around and doing every red circle sidequests marker i saw, so while the chapter select screen shows me where i missed them, I'm not sure how I missed them and where to start.

ys45

Ok, I'm late to the party guys but I started this on Monday (had to finish BOTW) .

And holy shit is this game good, Nier is one of my favorite game on the PS3 and I was seriously not expecting to play a sequel with the same feeling and atmosphere ever again or heck just a special game like that.
I finished the
amusement park
yesterday and man that boss fight,(and just the whole area) I don't even know how to explain it if someone asked me what's so special about this game, it's like you have to play it to understand.

Good things I went ahead and pre-ordered the soundtrack because so far it's as good as the first game.

This is going into my game of the year list and probably best games on PS4 list

jacobeid

Banned
Ok, I'm late to the party guys but I started this on Monday (had to finish BOTW) .

And holy shit is this game good, Nier is one of my favorite game on the PS3 and I was seriously not expecting to play a sequel with the same feeling and atmosphere ever again or heck just a special game like that.
I finished the
amusement park
yesterday and man that boss fight,(and just the whole area) I don't even know how to explain it if someone asked me what's so special about this game, it's like you have to play it to understand.

Good things I went ahead and pre-ordered the soundtrack because so far it's as good as the first game.

This is going into my game of the year list and probably best games on PS4 list

Absolutely. This game is really a treat to play. Not sure how it'll end up on my personal 2017 list, but I can't imagine it getting much better than this.

Jb

Okay I just finished Route C and at the end I
chose A2
. I suppose going back and picking the other choice will be ending D? Does E follow on from there?

That's exactly it. Just
pick the other option
and you'll get D and E.

Taruranto

Am I nuts for thinking this game would have been better off not having a open world? It's such a slog running around even with fast travel.

I've seen people call this open world, I don't get why. The area design is the same as action rpg/adventure games like Zelda OoT or Ys (And uh, Nier 1), only that they are bigger. It's more metroidvania than open world.

But yes, the game would have benefit from a much tighter level design, something like DS1's vertical world.

Question!

So the death mechanic is kinda like Souls, right? You die, you lose a bunch of EXP and chips, you can get them back though and everything is fine.

Say you don't get them back though or you just don't want to take that risk. Couldn't you just quit back to the main menu and load your last save instead? Game doesn't autosave like Souls after all.

I'm still not quite sure how it works, because people in this thread lament about losing tons of progress but apart from the prologue that just doesn't seem to be the case for me. It's not very punishing.

OniBaka

Question!

So the death mechanic is kinda like Souls, right? You die, you lose a bunch of EXP and chips, you can get them back though and everything is fine.

Say you don't get them back though or you just don't want to take that risk. Couldn't you just quit back to the main menu and load your last save instead? Game doesn't autosave like Souls after all.
You're correct in quitting and reloading, I did it once because I was lazy to run to my body.

HeelPower

I've seen people call this open world, I don't get why. The area design is the same as action rpg/adventure games like Zelda OoT or Ys (And uh, Nier 1), only that they are bigger. It's more metroidvania than open world.

But yes, the game would have benefit from a much tighter level design, something like DS1's vertical world.

Having just completed Dark Souls very recently, the world there is actually a lot bigger than NieR's.

NieR never felt too big to me ,and I try to walk around to get a chance to fight and level(also some conversations trigger in the world)

But different strokes I guess.

heringer

Loving the game, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the soundtrack. Not nearly as good as the original's. It's not bad, and it definitely feels like Nier, but so far the songs weren't very memorable.

Other than that, the gameplay is superb and story seems to hit the same notes as the original, so I'm happy about that.

Shahed

That's exactly it. Just
pick the other option
and you'll get D and E.

Cool thanks.

Do you know of a sidequest guide out there that lists them by chapter or something? I've had a look but can't find one. I know i can just buy the trophies, but I want to see more of the story :p

OniBaka

Cool thanks.

Do you know of a sidequest guide out there that lists them by chapter or something? I've had a look but can't find one. I know i can just buy the trophies, but I want to see more of the story :p
There's no trophy for doing all side quest and chapter select should show what you're missing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cool thanks.

The game basically has you covered there. The chapter select is really, really good.

heringer

How is it not open world? Zelda OoT and Ys (and Nier 1) are divided in smaller areas while Nier Automata is one seamless world. It's not that big compared to other recent open world games, but it's big enough to be called open world, imo.

One thing to take into account is that 2B is insanely fast and agile, so the world feels smaller than it actually is.

Shahed

There's no trophy for doing all side quest and chapter select should show what you're missing.

The game basically has you covered there. The chapter select is really, really good.

No i mean the chapter select tells me where i get sidequests. I get that. But i tried to do everything in game the first time around, and cleared every red cicrle quest marker i could find. But obviously I missed some quests and i'm not sure how to trigger them

Exentryk

Man, Family Squabble was such a beautiful quest! World building coupled with this GOAT OST just makes for such special moments.

OniBaka

No i mean the chapter select tells me where i get sidequests. I get that. But i tried to do everything in game the first time around, and cleared every red cicrle quest marker i could find. But obviously I missed some quests and i'm not sure how to trigger them
If you're missing one in chapter 2 I believe it's in the bunker.
Also talk to that
destroyed Engel as 9s to repair him.
And last that won't show on map is
Emil quest when you upgrade all weapons to max which is shared across 3 characters.

kiaaa

Depends on how close you are to 100% sidequests. A couple have very specific requirements.

Question about B:

There were some quests I couldn't finish in A due to their general area being blocked. (Or, at least, that's the impression I was given upon trying to complete them.) Is it possible to do these quests again, or have I missed them completely?

This game is really something else. Might end up being my GOTG.

kiaaa

&#8704; Narayan;232545165 said:
Question about B:

There were some quests I couldn't finish in A due to their general area being blocked. (Or, at least, that's the impression I was given upon trying to complete them.) Is it possible to do these quests again, or have I missed them completely?

There's literally only one missable and it'll probably be one of the very last things you do with the game.

Rhaknar

think I finished Route A with about 49% quest completion, that sound about right for someone trying not to skip stuff? I was level 31 (32? something like that), weapons were around lvl 3, at least the ones I use regularly, I didnt really farm mats tho, I just upgraded them as I could with stuff I picked up naturally. 15 hours or so I believe.

edit: 15hrs 27mins to be exact :)

OniBaka

&#8704; Narayan;232545165 said:
Question about B:

If you didn't finish them it gets restarted on B also I assume the blocked off one is in the desert but in actuality the entrance is on the right side.

cm osi

This is something I’ve thought about quite a lot since my early days. A lot of my titles are a lit bit, not unbalanced, but a little bit off. I believe that the people who have accepted my works are, similarly, a little bit off.

i guess we're all a little bit off

BriGuy

How is it not open world? Zelda OoT and Ys (and Nier 1) are divided in smaller areas while Nier Automata is one seamless world. It's not that big compared to other recent open world games, but it's big enough to be called open world, imo.

One thing to take into account is that 2B is insanely fast and agile, so the world feels smaller than it actually is.
Automata is set up almost exactly like OoT, right down to your central "big empty field" serving as a hub to the other areas. There's just no loading or transition screens between them. I don't know how to make direct comparisons, but I bet OoT is larger than Nier Automata.

Shahed

If you're missing one in chapter 2 I believe it's in the bunker.
Also talk to that
destroyed Engel as 9s to repair him.
And last that won't show on map is
Emil quest when you upgrade all weapons to max which is shared across 3 characters.

I've done a couple on Bunker. One to retrieve 11B's body in factory, and another as
9S with operator210
. Did the 2nd one you mentioned but haven't doen anything with the latter bar using they're shop. guess i'll start there

Depends on how close you are to 100% sidequests. A couple have very specific requirements.

I'm on 92%

Top Bottom