• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
As someone who's been more critical of this game than most, was
initially horrible at hacking
, and likewise hated the mandatory replay, I say absolutely keep going until you get past the
Leviathan fight. 9S's story is completely different from that point on and, in my opinion, much more interesting than anything from Route A.

oh im not stopping, replaying games is just not my jam is all. Im just abusing
hacking
now tbh, I dont even feel bad about it, sorry :p

it will get better when I unlock fast travel and sidequests, since I want to clear some up with
hacking
. But yes, it is fast now that im just going straight for stuff, Ive just done
adam and eve's birth
, carrying on then.

Levito

Banned
Posted this in the spoiler thread too, but I'd figure I'd share this here as well since everyone on the panel posts on GAF.

If anyone's interested, myself and several others did a spoiler filled podcast for Automata here. Several panelists are RPG Site staffers.

We talked about Endings A through E along with a ton of side content.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh meh, the
wandering couple
sidequest resets apparently if you hadnt finished it in route A, they are back in the
machine village
:/

I mean not that I dont have the
50k for them again later (I for a buttload of money atm), but still lame. I forgot to finish it before and then kinda hit the ending stretch and, well, here we are.

I haven't had as much time for this as I would have liked, but really enjoying it every time I do put in an hour or two.

The music of Pascal's village is stuck in my head too.

I've been trying to figure out the connection between the machines and (character spoiler)
Emil -- the resemblance between the bot-heads and Emil was clear from the beginning, but was still surprised when his head popped out of one!

Baliis

Finally had a chance to start this last night. No idea what to think about it. Gameplay is super fun and the story already seems totally bonkers with
all the robots having "sex" out in the desert and then the boss fight there.
. Probably won't be able to dig into it much as I wanna finish Zelda this weekend but damn I'm excited.

Also the music is amazing. Can't wait to get my copy of the OST.

Yeah, one of the things that make this game so special. Yoko Taro is one of the gaming greats, that's for sure.

It was a joke. Well, kind of. When you play the game more you'll understand.

Some doors will open up over time, no worries. I'm only on Route B right now, but I've already gone through elevators that weren't accessible before so I'm sure that will only increase as I continue to venture onward.
I beat it last month lol.

Philippo

So now that i'm at Route B, i want to get better at combat.
I've got my gist around attack lenghts and managing my space (when not struggling my way with the Vita), now i need to step up with combo skills, since i've been pretty basic on this.
Any tips?

Oh lawd this factory. BECOME AS GODS.

Unsettling.

Aja

Neo Member
Awsome game! I'm hooked! But I have a problem I need someone to help me with. A bit of story spoiler.

Kind of embarrassing but.... I need to go to Pascal's village since it's being assaulted. But I just can't find the way back there?! Was'nt it thru the amusement park? Where do I find the route? Exactly? The fasttravel does'nt work ofcourse since the village is under attack. Thank you!!

Awsome game! I'm hooked! But I have a problem I need someone to help me with. A bit of story spoiler.

Kind of embarrassing but.... I need to go to Pascal's village since it's being assaulted. But I just can't find the way back there?! Was'nt it thru the amusement park? Where do I find the route? Exactly? The fasttravel does'nt work ofcourse since the village is under attack. Thank you!!
Yeah, the left path in the park

You can get there from the City ruins, where you move the box.

Can I stop 9s from attacking? I'm sick of this psycho attacking friendly robots just because I pressed attack far from enemies.

Talk to him or go to the menus to change the 2nd player behavior to Passive or Cautious iirc. 2B went on a rampage that I did not condone when playing as 9S because one time I left her on Aggressive.

Rhaknar

hmm Im having a lot more trouble finding these sidequests as
9S on Route B
(I mean like Ill be at the red marker and I cant find the quest giver), is that normal?

Are there any places I should visit during route C for secret cutscenes/dialogue while playing as
A2
?

Route C discoveries:
I visited the amusement park and every machine is now zombie machines, the factory is filled with strong enemies and completely dark. Any other places that changed?

Rhaknar

I think i need to stop doing sidequest because Route B is doing nothing for me tbh, and im getting quite bored in fact :/

noomi

Someone told me I should buy this game so I downloaded the demo... haven't tried it yet but will tonight/tomorrow.

Would you guys say that the demo is a good representation of how the full game might be if I decide to purchase it?

PS4 Pro here BTW....

silva1991

Amusement park
music

giphy.gif

Try setting him to Passive maybe ?

Not sure if there is a 100% foolproof method of stopping him.

Talk to him or go to the menus to change the 2nd player behavior to Passive or Cautious iirc. 2B went on a rampage that I did not condone when playing as 9S because one time I left her on Aggressive.

Yeah that worked :D

that kid is a maniac on anything but passive lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Someone told me I should buy this game so I downloaded the demo... haven't tried it yet but will tonight/tomorrow.

Would you guys say that the demo is a good representation of how the full game might be if I decide to purchase it?

PS4 Pro here BTW....

Well it neglects the open world side of things and the RPG aspects, so ultimately no, it is not a good representation. It does however give you a good idea of what to expect regarding the combat and bosses and level design (2D camera angles and what not, shmup sections, etc.)

Xliskin

Are there any places I should visit during route C for secret cutscenes/dialogue while playing as
A2
?

Route C discoveries:
I visited the amusement park and every machine is now zombie machines, the factory is filled with strong enemies and completely dark. Any other places that changed?

Pascal's village is the only place feels peaceful <3

SephLuis

If i wasn't much of a fan of DMC, will I enjoy this?

While they are similar in combat, Nier Automata is very different from DMC. Automata has a bigger focus on it's story, combat isn't as technical or deep such as DMC/Bayonetta and it's still a RPG so there's leveling up/finding weapons and other mechanics.

There's a demo on PSN that could help you decide. It shows off more of it's combat though.

LotusHD

Banned
If i wasn't much of a fan of DMC, will I enjoy this?

Well people say this has less depth than DMC or Bayo, but it's still satisfying nonetheless, with there being a much, much stronger focus on telling a good story. So if that sounds like something for you, then I'd advise you to get this game.

Astral

Just started Route B. I didn't think it'd be this different right from the start. I missed maybe two side quests in Route A so hopefully I can just rush through this and see the story.

This motherfucking game
recorded everything I did during the settings portion in the beginning of the game right down to when I stayed on the screen for like 3 minutes looking up what self-destruct did.
That's amazing lol.

Just started Route B. I didn't think it'd be this different right from the start. I missed maybe two side quests in Route A so hopefully I can just rush through this and see the story.

This motherfucking game
recorded everything I did during the settings portion in the beginning of the game right down to when I stayed on the screen for like 3 minutes looking up what self-destruct did.
That's amazing lol.
as I was watching that happen I remember thinking this:

Oh wow, they actually rerecorded this scene so that the settings menu showed the PC version when playing on PC. tahts really cool. Then I thought "Oh wow, when they recorded this they were using the exact same resolution I am (2560x1440). Thats when it dawned on me that it was straight a recording from route A

OK, need some help. 20 hours in, I'm still running around the first areas. Pascal Village, City Ruins, etc...I have done just about everything, I have no main mission markers up as I
destroyed the big ocean monster and lost some of my side quests in that process which pissed me off)

All I have is the scientist machine who wants all of my currency, and Jackass's research.

What am I supposed to do here? I see people mentioning Route A, Route B, etc...I'm guessing I'm still on Route A.

Rhaknar

if I skip these Route B sidequests, can I still do them eventually if I so feel like it? because Im really not enjoying them atm, its actually kinda weird because I was doing everything before and it was fine.

VRMN

OK, need some help. 20 hours in, I'm still running around the first areas. Pascal Village, City Ruins, etc...I have done just about everything, I have no main mission markers up as I
destroyed the big ocean monster and lost some of my side quests in that process which pissed me off)

All I have is the scientist machine who wants all of my currency, and Jackass's research.

What am I supposed to do here? I see people mentioning Route A, Route B, etc...I'm guessing I'm still on Route A.
You are. Do the story; you're in the final stretch. (Go back to the Resistance camp.)

Come back to sidequests in Route B. Or don't. Don't get bogged down by side stuff if you're not enjoying it.

My copy is scheduled for delivery today. I was going to wait until after Persona 5 to buy, but I had some expiring credit from Dell rewards that cut the price in half.

I'm still playing Horizon and need to get back to Yakuza 0... lol, my backlog grows even when I cut back.

You are correct about being on Route A, spoilers for where you are essentially
The moment you boarded the flight units you hit a sortve point of no return. This locked away your side quests

Attempt at explaining whats going to happen with your side content in as little of spoilers as possible
Once you clear route A, you will have access to the side quests you missed again. However the drawback is that ones you made partial progress on will restart from the beginning. Completed quests will not reappear with the exception of 2 minor ones. However you will once again hit another sortve point of no return. At the end of the game you unlock chapter select, at that point you can revisit and do any missed sidequests.
if I skip these Route B sidequests, can I still do them eventually if I so feel like it? because Im really not enjoying them atm, its actually kinda weird because I was doing everything before and it was fine.
see my spoiler above. You wont be spoiled on anything but the mechanic you are looking for.

Honestly if anyone is wondering how this game handles side quests and lockouts just read my spoilers. I didnt spoil any story, just tagged it due to spoiler panicking

Arkeband

Banned
A2
?

Route C discoveries:

Check the northwest corner of the desert.

LotusHD

Banned

This motherfucking game
That's amazing lol.

as I was watching that happen I remember thinking this:

Oh wow, they actually rerecorded this scene so that the settings menu showed the PC version when playing on PC. tahts really cool. Then I thought "Oh wow, when they recorded this they were using the exact same resolution I am (2560x1440). Thats when it dawned on me that it was straight a recording from route A

Underrated moment in the game. Actually maybe not, because everyone seems to get wowed by it when it happens lol

Top Bottom