• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

If you're already hating A I fear you'll feel pretty bad about B

But I promise C is the real shit

I definitely did not hate A. My apprehension is probably more towards how completely cold it left me. Like, I'm not itching to find out more about the game because of anything inherent to its storytelling thus far; I only feel that way because of what everyone else has said about the other routes. If I'd played this game in a vacuum, seen credits, and had that "oh hey btw there are other routes" message show up, I genuinely don't know if I'd want to. The game has just so thoroughly failed to get me invested in its characters. I feel like I'm missing something. 2B and 9S have such bland characterization so far, and I barely feel like I know anything about them aside from "glum and disaffected" and "bright and optimistic."

I mean, I'll be honest, if you didn't like Route A I don't think the rest of the game will blow you away.
I think the payoffs/intrigue can definitely prop up the rest (particularly if you're just feeling unsatisfied with how A wraps itself up) but if you just aren't enjoying it then yea.......it's just more (but crazier)

I definitely did not hate A. My apprehension is probably more towards how completely cold it left me. Like, I'm not itching to find out more about the game because of anything inherent to its storytelling thus far; I only feel that way because of what everyone else has said about the other routes. If I'd played this game in a vacuum, seen credits, and had that "oh hey btw there are other routes" message show up, I genuinely don't know if I'd want to. The game has just so thoroughly failed to get me invested in its characters. I feel like I'm missing something. 2B and 9S have such bland characterization so far, and I barely feel like I know anything about them aside from "glum and disaffected" and "bright and optimistic."
Then yes, you need to keep playing!

I honestly think that PR message does a disservice. It's worded like there's just little bits of extra content but you are straight up missing the rest of the game. As I said B might not do it for you but C and onward will hopefully bring the goods

Dio

Banned
I mean, I'll be honest, if you didn't like Route A I don't think the rest of the game will blow you away.

If his only real problem is that 'none of his questions were answered' then the other four routes will resolve that.

If he just thought everything about it sucked, I think you're right. I didn't get that impression from the post, though.

I think he just wanted more to be revealed, and, well, he's about 1/3 of the way through the main story but I understand.

HeelPower

2B and 9S have such bland characterization so far, and I barely feel like I know anything about them aside from "glum and disaffected" and "bright and optimistic."

9S never came across as optimistic to me. He's kind of a close minded asshole at times who lacks a sense of wonder.

I guess its different for different people.

9S never came across as optimistic to me. He's kind of a close minded asshole at times who lacks a sense of wonder.

I guess its different for different people.

Oh, he's absolutely a close-minded asshole, but he's a close-minded asshole because he genuinely and wholeheartedly believes in the orders he's given and the reasoning behind them.

LotusHD

Banned

It's okay to feel that about Route A, you're not the only one. (I'm​ not one of them though)

Oh, he's absolutely a close-minded asshole, but he's a close-minded asshole because he genuinely and wholeheartedly believes in the orders he's given and the reasoning behind them.

I think you missed something. That really does not seem like how I would describe his character at any point.

robotrock

Banned
So I'm playing this on PC, and they got the PS3 trophy notification jingle to pop up every time I get a Steam achievement. Hilarious

edit: apparently from the mod I have installed, not the game. whoops

I think you missed something. That really does not seem like how I would describe his character at any point.

You're probably right. At some point the dialogue between 2B and 9S blurred together for me in a way where I now can't remember how either felt about killing machines. I only remember one of them going on about "but they said they have no sentience" a lot. Thought that was 9S.

LotusHD

Banned
Starting my second playthrough on my NA copy - where can I find good gauntlets? I only found a single pair on my first playthrough.

There's one in the camp. One in the amusement park basement with the TVs.

Emil sold me one.

The blacksmith can give you one after you buy/upgrade stuff. Not sure if there's a specific requirement though.

Caim

Starting my second playthrough on my NA copy - where can I find good gauntlets? I only found a single pair on my first playthrough.

You're really limited (there are also not that many) until the other routes, but you could get the one in Forest Zone or buy the two from
Emil's Shop

Unless by second playthrough you mean route B?

Ruff

Messing with
debug now.
Spear carrying robots are the worst. I'll never get used to how far away and quickly they hit me from.

In four days.

Three-disc OST.

fry-futurama-foaming-mouth-want-foam-13581153622.gif

You're probably right. At some point the dialogue between 2B and 9S blurred together for me in a way where I now can't remember how either felt about killing machines. I only remember one of them going on about "but they said they have no sentience" a lot. Thought that was 9S.

That bit was 9S, but between the two of them, he's always a bit more skeptical of the orders they receive from the get-go.

It's okay to feel that about Route A, you're not the only one. (I'm​ not one of them though)

I think the payoffs/intrigue can definitely prop up the rest (particularly if you're just feeling unsatisfied with how A wraps itself up) but if you just aren't enjoying it then yea.......it's just more (but crazier)

Then yes, you need to keep playing!

I honestly think that PR message does a disservice. It's worded like there's just little bits of extra content but you are straight up missing the rest of the game. As I said B might not do it for you but C and onward will hopefully bring the goods

Good to hear. Yeah, I just want more story. I feel like so little has happened in what apparently amounts to the first act of a narrative. Like, I /want/ to be able to come back to these posts and laugh at myself for worrying about it, but at the same time it seems like a pretty huge thing for a game that's received such praise largely because of its storytelling to completely whiff its first act.

Ruff

Good to hear. Yeah, I just want more story. I feel like so little has happened in what apparently amounts to the first act of a narrative. Like, I /want/ to be able to come back to these posts and laugh at myself for worrying about it, but at the same time it seems like a pretty huge thing for a game that's received such praise largely because of its storytelling to completely whiff its first act.

It basically is the first act of the story like you say, and what story is ever fully wrapped up in the first? Hopefully you feel better about it after the other routes.

Are you me? I absolutely felt the same about the game. Route B was even more frustrating because it was more of the same but worse (9s is less fun). There's a cool reveal at the end of route b but it's too little and too late. Most of the new scenes randomly pop up an many make very little sense because there is no Context.

While I thought that route a was okay as a prologue, I absolutely hated route b since I felt that the game is just wasting my time. Really hope route c is worth it.

kewlmyc

Wow this YoRHA Betrayers sidequest is annoying.

Is this game like the original NiER in which I should just ignore the side quests?

You'll get context, I just can't guarantee it's what you're expecting/hoping for (based on the true nature of events)

I definitely feel like following up A with B is a really hard sell but once you complete the whole game it I can't really see it working any other way.

J_Viper

Those are actually main quests.

You can always see what sidequests are available to you through your map. They'll be marked as red dots. You have to go there yourself and talk to the NPC in order to accept them.

I'd advise waiting for you to unlock fast travel before going all crazy regarding completing them.

Thanks!

So those Red Dots on the mini-map aren't always the Save Stations? They can be saves too?

Strimei

Question: Is this a bug or something? The map indicates there's a quest or something here, but there's no one to be found.

(I checked underneath too)

The
betrayers quest
also showed the areas I had to go to before they were actually active so it could be something like that.

Qblivion

Wow this YoRHA Betrayers sidequest is annoying.

Is this game like the original NiER in which I should just ignore the side quests?

Some side quests have some legit great story to them. Some of them are simple fetch quests though. Hopefully someone makes a list of significant quests.

You're really limited (there are also not that many) until the other routes, but you could get the one in Forest Zone or buy the two from
Emil's Shop

Unless by second playthrough you mean route B?

Second time through from A-E. Currently beginning A.

That bit was 9S, but between the two of them, he's always a bit more skeptical of the orders they receive from the get-go.

You're right about that. 2B does follow orders more blindly. I guess that's what I mean by 9S being optimistic? He's not just hacking away at machines because he's being ordered to do so but because he believes they're not sentient? Something like that.

Question: Is this a bug or something? The map indicates there's a quest or something here, but there's no one to be found.

(I checked underneath too)

The
betrayers quest
also showed the areas I had to go to before they were actually active so it could be something like that.
There should be an NPC flying in circles over the ledge

Strimei

Hm, nobody flying around, though
Emil just ramped off it
. Maybe its like the betrayers one and I'm not progressed enough. Ah well. Thanks!

Battlechili

Banned
I've been playing the game on Hard mode and have found most of the game easy. Now all of a sudden the game is balls to the wall hard, as I've just gotten to the
Adam and Eve
boss fight. These guys are insanely tough! I keep getting killed by the attack that comes out of the floor following you.

VRMN

Just started Route C and... You people saying the game only really begins here weren't kidding.

Good lord. I'd normally be more annoyed about a 20 hour prologue, but it was far too interesting and fun to get mad about playing it.
A2's interactions with the pod are amazing early on.

Top Bottom