• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Caim

We still haven't seen anything in terms of gameplay or story wrt SINoALICE, have we? Like Taro is creative director, but did he write the scenario too? Thing is, Taro being behind this has made this basically the only mobile game i've ever been downright interested in, but i highly doubt it will come stateside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI04ZtgY0X0&list=LLXV3o2Q5NhhM5B7KVbyNi3Q&index=1

This is subtitled trailer has some details on the story, but it's not much.

So I have a weird thing happening in game. Recently switched from PS4 to PS4 pro, an now that I'm playing on PS4 Pro it seems like all the vocal tracks from the overworld music aren't playing. Is this a glitch or just something that happens at a certain part in the story? I'm fairly early on I just
took the oil to Pascal and fought the 2 goliath machines

I've got the bug real bad.

Put in my order for both Nier and N:A soundtracks, as well as the N:A art book and Grimoire NieR. Have a copy of Drakengard and am about to start a playthrough of NieR on ps3.

I need more Yoko Taro in my life.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Route C sidequest question:

There's a sidequest in the Forest Castle library but I can't get up to it. It's around the area with the broken ladder. How do I get up there?

Philippo

Route C sidequest question:

There's a sidequest in the Forest Castle library but I can't get up to it. It's around the area with the broken ladder. How do I get up there?

Go further in the direction the throne room, do a 180 and jump, there's an entrance to the library hidden on the top floor.

Ferrio

Banned
The guy who voiced 9S did an incredible job - it's some of the best I've heard in any game.

Ya this is one of the few games I've enjoyed the english dub over the original. English 9S does such a better job than the Japanese actor imo.

End of Route C
The lines when he's fighting the 2B models is awesome

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Where's the vendor that increases my chip storage capacity? Some websites say it's at the Bunker in the terminal, but there's no one here, and others say it's at the resistance camp but the chip vendor doesn't have an option to increase the capacity.

Espada

Where's the vendor that increases my chip storage capacity? Some websites say it's at the Bunker in the terminal, but there's no one here, and others say it's at the resistance camp but the chip vendor doesn't have an option to increase the capacity.

Really? If you talk to her (she's the one to the right of the item vendor in the Resistance Camp) and select [Shop]. The capacity chip upgrades are all the way at the bottom.

There's scanner model in the Bunker that sells them or the woman right outside of the infirmary in the Resistance Camp.

guyssorry

Anyone in here who did not like the first Nier but likes this game?

I am trying to plan which games I will be playing during my summer break, and I am really intrigued in this game, especially since it is on Steam, plus the combat looks much better, but I did not enjoy the first game too much (aside from the incredible soundtrack): I found it kinda bland and extremely repetitive (gameplay-wise, in a bad way), but I did see potential, which is why I am intrigued in this game.

Any input would be appreciated (it does not need to be long). Thanks in advance!

Ferrio

Banned

I am trying to plan which games I will be playing during my summer break, and I am really intrigued in this game, especially since it is on Steam, plus the combat looks much better, but I did not enjoy the first game too much (aside from the incredible soundtrack): I found it kinda bland and extremely repetitive (gameplay-wise, in a bad way), but I did see potential, which is why I am intrigued in this game.

Any input would be appreciated (it does not need to be long). Thanks in advance!

I didn't like the original much at all. I thought there was good ideas, but the execution was just horrible imo. Even the story which was it's best part needed an outside source to fully appreciate.

Nier:A on the other hand has easily become one of my favorite games of all time.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Really? If you talk to her (she's the one to the right of the item vendor in the Resistance Camp) and select [Shop]. The capacity chip upgrades are all the way at the bottom.

Oh, I see. I'm blind. Thanks.

Another question, is there a point to keeping multiples of the same chip or should I vendor all the extras?

Jiraiza

Bummer, I imagine they won't even bother patching this.

Could have done with re-playing all the bosses on A route again since Kaldaien's recent updates got rid of all my framerate hitches, guess i'm starting my very hard playthrough sooner than later.

I'm hoping for some kind of coliseum DLC. Crossing my fingers.

Koozek

Me. Loved the soundtrack and the strange atmosphere in the original, but ultimately dropped it after 10 hours or so back then because the gameplay was tedious. Listened to the soundtrack outside of the game for months, though. Also, I only a few weeks ago learned how crazy and emotional the story would've gotten if I had played further when I watched recap videos as a preparation for Automata (I didn't even scratch the surface and didn't even meet Emil in my run). Was only mildly interested in Automata when it was announced.

Skip forward to a few weeks ago when the glowing reviews dropped and suddenly I was intrigued. Bought it day-one, started it only last week, couldn't stop playing pulling all-nighters, beat it the other day, and absolutely loved it. Such a creative gem that plays with the medium and shifts genres and perspectives all the time. Somehow blends absurd, tragic, funny, touching, nihilistic, and altruistic all in a high-octane Action game with gameplay that, compared to the janky original, is buttery-smooth bliss this time thanks to Platinum Games' developing. Wonderful soundtrack with a great dynamic implementation (there were some holy-shit moments the way it was utilized a few times).

So yeah, give it a shot :p

So I have a weird thing happening in game. Recently switched from PS4 to PS4 pro, an now that I'm playing on PS4 Pro it seems like all the vocal tracks from the overworld music aren't playing. Is this a glitch or just something that happens at a certain part in the story? I'm fairly early on I just
took the oil to Pascal and fought the 2 goliath machines

The overworld music in the city has vocals depending on what point in the story you're at. I'm not sure about the desert. And the amusement park has vocals when you're running through the plaza area and up the sets of stairs, not on the side routes.

The overworld music in the city has vocals depending on what point in the story you're at. I'm not sure about the desert. And the amusement park has vocals when you're running through the plaza area and up the sets of stairs, not on the side routes.

Yep in the city the vocals kick in after story events and desert vocals when you reach the housing complex

Buckle

Lunar Tear sidequest

Wasn't expecting the feels to hit me as hard as they did when the Nier 1 music started playing.

Emil has had such a strange fricking journey. He went from Gorgon boy to creepy weaponized floating mage goblin to being nothing but a rolling head turned clone army turned shopkeeper.

Seriously. Give me a DLC of the Emil/Alien conflict. That shit sounds crazy as hell.

chrono01

My OST arrived today from Amazon Japan (two days shipping time from Japan to Canada, for under 1,000 yen, INSANE!), along with the Hacking Tracks Bonus CD. I was surprised to see the latter come in a jewel case and not a simple cardboard sleeve, along with insert art and everything. It looks like a standard CD release with 16 tracks on it, which makes the fact that it was given away as a bonus even more impressive.

I'm almost tempted to purchase it digitally so I can keep the OST sealed for my collection (I already have a sealed copy of the original Nier OST), but I'd be missing out on the Hacking Tracks since they're not available through iTunes. I guess I'm opening it up!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Started this today, just got to the desert and followed the robot that keeps running from you. Got to that room with robots replicating human actions, and.. are some of those robots pretending to be fucking? o_o

Synless

My OST arrived today from Amazon Japan (two days shipping time from Japan to Canada, for under 1,000 yen, INSANE!), along with the Hacking Tracks Bonus CD. I was surprised to see the latter come in a jewel case and not a simple cardboard sleeve, along with insert art and everything. It looks like a standard CD release with 16 tracks on it, which makes the fact that it was given away as a bonus even more impressive.

I'm almost tempted to purchase it digitally so I can keep the OST sealed for my collection (I already have a sealed copy of the original Nier OST), but I'd be missing out on the Hacking Tracks since they're not available through iTunes. I guess I'm opening it up!
I really wish the iTunes version had the bonus stuff... it is a glaring omission.

guyssorry

Me. Loved the soundtrack and the strange atmosphere in the original, but ultimately dropped it after 10 hours or so back then because the gameplay was tedious. Listened to the soundtrack outside of the game for months, though. Also, I only a few weeks ago learned how crazy and emotional the story would've gotten if I had played further when I watched recap videos as a preparation for Automata (I didn't even scratch the surface and didn't even meet Emil in my run). Was only mildly interested in Automata when it was announced.

Skip forward to a few weeks ago when the glowing reviews dropped and suddenly I was intrigued. Bought it day-one, started it only last week, couldn't stop playing pulling all-nighters, beat it the other day, and absolutely loved it. Such a creative gem that plays with the medium and shifts genres and perspectives all the time. Somehow blends absurd, tragic, funny, touching, nihilistic, and altruistic all in a high-octane Action game with gameplay that, compared to the janky original, is buttery-smooth bliss this time thanks to Platinum Games' developing. Wonderful soundtrack with a great dynamic implementation (there were some holy-shit moments the way it was utilized a few times).

So yeah, give it a shot :p

Thank you for the write-up, friend. I will definitely be playing this during the summer.

and thank you for your words, Ferrio.

chrono01

I really wish the iTunes version had the bonus stuff... it is a glaring omission.
Yeah, it's really unfortunate.

I'd honestly double-dip if they made a digital version of the Hacking Tracks available as a bonus to anyone who purchased the OST digitally, but I guess I'll settle for just the physical version. Given the quality of the Hacking Tracks heard in-game, those not receiving it are missing out. :(

Sami+

Is it bad that I'm just blasting through Route B as fast as possible? Lol. I'm skipping through all the old dialogue and cutscenes and only watching the new stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is it bad that I'm just blasting through Route B as fast as possible? Lol. I'm skipping through all the old dialogue and cutscenes and only watching the new stuff.

No, it's definitely bloated for what it actually adds to the game.

I'm not sure how they could've cut it down further though.

Look what came in today!

SFle4uQ.jpg

The 3 CD OST with the extra hackings CD

Koozek

Nah, skipped some of them too and only watched those where I've still felt confused about certain things. It was really cool how you slowly start to have suspicions after hearing certain lines of dialog again with your new knowledge. Like peeling off layers of an onion. Had several moments where I pressed Pause and thought "Wait a minute. Something's not right.".

xYWVJDG.png

Dunan

Soundtrack arrived and I got the limited one with the extra CD full of "Hacking Tracks". A very stylish CD case; looks like it could be a Wipeout soundtrack.

How is it that Europeans are getting such a great price? €22 is like $24 or so; here in Japan, home of the game's developers, we are paying ¥3500 or $32!

Not sure if I actually want to listen to this thing yet. Nier grabbed me with its OST while playing it and it might not be as amazing if I listen first. So far, in the game, the music hasn't grabbed me; does this game just start slowly? I'm in the ruined city and am being trolled by Taro as the item I needed for the very first quest was not where the game told me it was (I still found one by
defeating the robots blocking the save-point vending machines, very far from the quest location on the map
).

Also, is there a way to recover HP without using healing items or going back to the Bunker?

Koozek

Also, is there a way to recover HP without using healing items or going back to the Bunker?
Certain Plugin-Chips like Auto-Use Item, Offensive Heal, Auto-Heal, or Deadly-Heal (which can be pretty OP and made the game almost too easy for me on Normal, but I assumed Hard would be too difficult).

Dunan

Yes, there are other healing chips like offensive heal, deadly heal, auto heal, etc.

I'm still early in the game so I don't think I have any of those. It just felt a little weird to go out wandering in the city, take plenty of damage taking on enemies (it would have been more if I hadn't chose not to fight these docile robots) and then not be able to heal up when I got back to the camp. It felt like there must be a bed or inn or something and I was just missing it.

Soundtrack arrived and I got the limited one with the extra CD full of "Hacking Tracks". A very stylish CD case; looks like it could be a Wipeout soundtrack.

How is it that Europeans are getting such a great price? €22 is like $24 or so; here in Japan, home of the game's developers, we are paying ¥3500 or $32!

Not sure if I actually want to listen to this thing yet. Nier grabbed me with its OST while playing it and it might not be as amazing if I listen first.

I would play the game first, the music makes certain moments hit HARD.

Dunan

Certain Plugin-Chips like Auto-Use Item, Offensive Heal, Auto-Heal, or Deadly-Heal (which can be pretty OP and made the game almost too easy for me on Normal, but I assumed Hard would be too difficult).

I had some kind of auto-heal ability in the abandoned factory in the prologue, but for some reason don't have it now. Is that something I can reacquire, or is this one of those "we give you huge powers for the prologue and then make you weak to start the real story" situations?

I just took on some robots in the desert and it was annoying pausing every few seconds to take a healing item. Standard in video games, sure, but doing it automatically in the factory was pretty handy.

I would play the game first, the music makes certain moments hit HARD.

Thanks; thought that might be the best way!

Exentryk

I'm still early in the game so I don't think I have any of those. It just felt a little weird to go out wandering in the city, take plenty of damage taking on enemies (it would have been more if I hadn't chose not to fight these docile robots) and then not be able to heal up when I got back to the camp. It felt like there must be a bed or inn or something and I was just missing it.

Do the early few quests, and you'll be able to heal in camp in the way you want. Can't recall exactly when that unlocks, but it's early enough.

Also, healing items are cheap, so just have a good stock of those at all times. You'll eventually start getting the healing chips as enemy drops as you progress.

Frimaire

I had some kind of auto-heal ability in the abandoned factory in the prologue, but for some reason don't have it now. Is that something I can reacquire, or is this one of those "we give you huge powers for the prologue and then make you weak to start the real story" situations?

I just took on some robots in the desert and it was annoying pausing every few seconds to take a healing item. Standard in video games, sure, but doing it automatically in the factory was pretty handy.

You start off with the auto-use item chip in the factory, but you lose it once you finish the prologue.
You can get back the weapon as well as the chips/materials/health items you had in the factory by picking them up outside the entrance to the factory.

Edit: chips like auto-heal are better, though

Just started this today and it's sooooooooo good already, with so many great games coming out lately and a recently purchased Switch I've had more than enough to play but this game is so good that it's made it to the top of my list. Everything about it so far has been amazing and I'm only at the Desert Zone. So much of the game world and moment to moment gameplay feels like games used to in the PS2 era, which is a huge compliment because I've felt like most games the last 2 generations have been declining in quality in a race to the lowest common denominator with every game being a rehash of the same tired concepts devoid of any experimentation or straying from the safety of doing things "by the books" to guarantee a mainstream audience. I love the random shifts in camera/genre despite usually hating "Shoot 'em up" style games. I love the way the world is structured with items you can pick up hinting at which direction you should be heading. I love how I've barely scratched the surface of the game and I'm already feeling bad about killing friendly robots. The only other game that's ever made me think twice about an NPC was Watchdogs because of the way they characterized people with the intel you could get from scanning them which would give you some insight into who the person was or what their life was like. Just talking to a few of the people in the Resistance Camp and getting a bit of backstory has had the same effect on me. Even random robots that you encounter when travelling that are non-hostile make me feel awful when I accidentally attack them (still getting used to the controls) I think that speaks volumes about how well the game world and lore is crafted because I have no prior experience with the franchise and yet I already feel invested after playing for a single day.

Top Bottom