• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Koozek

I had some kind of auto-heal ability in the abandoned factory in the prologue, but for some reason don't have it now. Is that something I can reacquire, or is this one of those "we give you huge powers for the prologue and then make you weak to start the real story" situations?

I just took on some robots in the desert and it was annoying pausing every few seconds to take a healing item. Standard in video games, sure, but doing it automatically in the factory was pretty handy.

Thanks; thought that might be the best way!
Wait, you aren't going into the menu every time, are you?^^ There's a quick menu for items when pressing down, then just press Circle once. Takes half a second. But yeah, you'll get enough healing chips from enemies and sidequests.

icespide

Banned
just started route B. I'm around level 32. I didn't a good chunk of side quests in route A. Can I just mainline route B and skip the rest of the side quests or will I end up way under leveled?

Whales

Banned
going from route A to B is kinda lame because
9S feels weak as fuck, and you basically have to hack the beefier dudes

Im just at the start of B right now though so maybe that will change

Young Magus

Yo finished route B last night and
THE TRAILER FOR ROUTE C&D!!!

HOLY SHIT! THINGS ARE GONNA PICK UP ND SHITS GINNA GET REAL NOW HUH?

L.O.R.D

Just finished this 3rd route
i picked A2 to fight 9S
,is there another main route?

Clicking at 70 hours,level 71.
9S is
super powerful

going from route A to B is kinda lame because
9S feels weak as fuck, and you basically have to hack the beefier dudes

Im just at the start of B right now though so maybe that will change

I like playing
2B
more but
9S
gets really OP with
his hacking. Think of his hacks as bombs.

Whales

Banned
I like playing
2B
more but
9S
gets really OP with
his hacking. Think of his hacks as bombs.

Of course, I noticed,
his hacking makes annoying enemies really easy to deal with, and it deals a fuckton of damage

its just kind of boring IMO. Feeling like rushing through B now to get to C, especially with how everyone says that the crazyness starts with C

I am also 100% sure we
play as that chick in the forest kingdom that you fight for 2mins, her combat style can't be more boring than hacking...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It was grating for a while then I got good at it and it became a kind of rhythm thing where you hack -> dodge -> pod skill -> dodge -> hack and it flowed well.

I still prefer 2B's gameplay though.

Baalzebup

Of course, I noticed,
his hacking makes annoying enemies really easy to deal with, and it deals a fuckton of damage

its just kind of boring IMO. Feeling like rushing through B now to get to C, especially with how everyone says that the crazyness starts with C

I am also 100% sure we
play as that chick in the forest kingdom that you fight for 2mins, her combat style can't be more boring than hacking...
There are some essential side quests in B. Critical pathing it is not optimal at all.

jwc13ac

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can put me a bit at ease.

So I just finished ending A, and I'm kind of disappointed? I was just chugging along mostly doing main line quests (a few side here and there) and it just ended. It was so abrupt, I didn't have chance to do 80% of the side quests. Although combat and some scenes were cool, I didn't get much at ALL from the story.

I totally get Nier's style is many play throughs (I got all ending in Nier 1 and LOVED it) but does it get way more into the story here?? Did I make a mistake by missing all those quests? Will I see them again?

I just started B So I'll see where this goes!

Baalzebup

I though I could do all of the side-quests even if I was on C or another route, no?

Did I mess up by critical-pathing a lot in route A too?
There are generic ones that are available for everyone and character specific ones, which also tend to be route specific ones at the same time. The ones you do for your operators are one good example, as those are very much route specific and they will have impact later on. Overall, there are all kinds of things that foreshadow and flavor what is to come and form a part of why the stuff later on is so damn good. Doing those quests after the fact is a waste, as the whole point of foreshadowing is lost if you get it after the actual reveals and in some cases it might actually make the reveals have less impact.

Like, you can't actually miss any sidequests as the game will let you return to almost any point of the game later on, but you'll have seen 99% of the story by then. The whole build-up will be wasted by then.
Is there some sort of list of essential side missions? I'm getting a bit antsy because I kinda don't like playing 9S and I'm considering just going through main mission stuff real quick.
See, the problem with trying to list what is important and what is not is that it will be spoilery by and of itself.

Samikaze

So I just finished ending A, and I'm kind of disappointed? I was just chugging along mostly doing main line quests (a few side here and there) and it just ended. It was so abrupt, I didn't have chance to do 80% of the side quests. Although combat and some scenes were cool, I didn't get much at ALL from the story.

I totally get Nier's style is many play throughs (I got all ending in Nier 1 and LOVED it) but does it get way more into the story here?? Did I make a mistake by missing all those quests? Will I see them again?

You're fine. I felt the same way after beating Route A. It's nothing more than an introduction to the characters.

kaioshade

You're just getting started.

Koozek

I felt the same and was confused. Little did I know :D Keep playing. You have seen half of the story at best at this point. Maybe even just a third.

anddo0

I finished route c, played mostly as
A2
Where do I go from here?

I chose
A2
at the end of route c.
If I load my save file and choose
9S
; will that change anything save file wise?

Baalzebup

Honestly, rushing this game in any way or form is basically just asking for coming up unsatisfied at the end. While the sidequests are mechanically speaking average at best and rarely have anything interesting going for them gameplay-wise, they are usually very important in fleshing out the characters and the world they inhabit, especially if you take the time to read/listen and think about what is going on.

The game asks you to think, to pick up some relatively subtle stuff and actually draw conclusions from them after you are presented with new information later on. Rushing will lessen the emotional impact, is likely to leave you confused about X or Y as you have less material to work with and you are likely to miss some important moments and that aren't even classified as side quests or pieces of intel. One little voice message in route C, for example, is very easy to miss, but it is one of the most emotional moments the game has to offer.

Exentryk

Honestly, rushing this game in any way or form is basically just asking for coming up unsatisfied at the end. While the sidequests are mechanically speaking average at best and rarely have anything interesting going for them gameplay-wise, they are usually very important in fleshing out the characters and the world they inhabit, especially if you take the time to read/listen and think about what is going on.

The game asks you to think, to pick up some relatively subtle stuff and actually draw conclusions from them after you are presented with new information later on. Rushing will lessen the emotional impact, is likely to leave you confused about X or Y as you have less material to work with and you are likely to miss some important moments and that aren't even classified as side quests or pieces of intel.

+1

anddo0

Do it. Don't ask questions, you're in too deep now.

When the time comes, say
no if you care about changes save file wise.

Cool.
I'll just load my save file
(good thing I saved right before the fight with the eye)
. I'm curious to see the other ending.

The game asks you to think, to pick up some relatively subtle stuff and actually draw conclusions from them after you are presented with new information later on. Rushing will lessen the emotional impact, is likely to leave you confused about X or Y as you have less material to work with and you are likely to miss some important moments and that aren't even classified as side quests or pieces of intel. One little voice message in route C, for example, is very easy to miss, but it is one of the most emotional moments the game has to offer.

I was tempted to skip side quests near the end of Route A. I lost a ton of progress (6 side quests that were basically finished) when I crossed the point of no return
(Flooded City)
. I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did. The quests aren't Witcher level, but add a lot of context. I'm at 51/60 completed headed into Route D.

Blobbers

Sorting Trouble 3 on route C -
I can't speak to the resistance member even after clearing the path for him and destroying the 2 robots, the Circle button stays crossed out. Is it a bug or?

Baalzebup

I can't speak to the resistance member even after clearing the path for him and destroying the 2 robots, the Circle button stays crossed out. Is it a bug or?
There often seems to be an issue with some of the enemies in the vicinity being aggroed, perhaps even at ground level. You may have to do rounds and exterminate things at the base of the building. That seems to be the most usual issue with that, though I've seen a few mentions of not even that working. It did work for me and a few others though, so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Kill any robots in the general area around the building. That should fix it.

Blobbers

There often seems to be an issue with some of the enemies in the vicinity being aggroed, perhaps even at ground level. You may have to do rounds and exterminate things at the base of the building. That seems to be the most usual issue with that, though I've seen a few mentions of not even that working. It did work for me and a few others though, so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kill any robots in the general area around the building. That should fix it.

thanks, that did it

sjay1994

I had a weird as bug during route C, and honestly it actually kinda works in the section it happens in

When you are 9S and have to fight the 2B clones
my sound straight up died. My headphones were crackling, but the PS4 menu theme sounds were fine. I kept trying to fix it, but nothing really seemed to work, but when I completed the section, all my sound came back. Honestly, given the context of the scene, the audio bug kinda felt intentional even if it was not.

Also... holy fuck the credits in
Ending E. Square Enix started fucking me, and then I got help and the chorus, and OMG... fuck. This game is something

As of now, its easily my GOTY

chrono01

While everyone else has already received theirs, Amazon JP has finally shipped my soundtrack. Dx
Hey, better late than never! Also, given Amazon Japan's magical shipping service, you'll have the OST in like two days. I don't know how they do it!

Belated, but joining in the OST arrival club! I thought I might have been too late when I ordered to get a copy of the Hacking Tracks, but nope, also came with. Nobody tightly packages items like Amazon.jp, nobody. hnnngggggg

It's a bit silly, but even as I was browsing the OST, I still can't get around the fact that a) we actually got a Nier sequel b) a sequel that was amazing c) a sequel that's been critically acclaimed d) a sequel that's been selling well. It's surreal, but glorious.

tumblr_inline_nmfd7mAKuf1rfxq8l_500.gif

Renewed

Yes, this is real life. Have to pinch myself sometimes but it's pretty nice to see people interested and enjoying it. I need a new controller though so gotta get that done before Persona drops as well.

My soundtrack shipped and is arriving Wednesday!

LotusHD

Banned
Belated, but joining in the OST arrival club! I thought I might have been too late when I ordered to get a copy of the Hacking Tracks, but nope, also came with. Nobody tightly packages items like Amazon.jp, nobody. hnnngggggg

It's a bit silly, but even as I was browsing the OST, I still can't get around the fact that a) we actually got a Nier sequel b) a sequel that was amazing c) a sequel that's been critically acclaimed d) a sequel that's been selling well. It's surreal, but glorious.

tumblr_inline_nmfd7mAKuf1rfxq8l_500.gif

Every time I see a new Nier thread, I get so happy. It's fun seeing its continued success, or just simply seeing people excited about the game or wanting to discuss it in-depth.

Is there some sort of list of essential side missions? I'm getting a bit antsy because I kinda don't like playing 9S and I'm considering just going through main mission stuff real quick.

At the very least, do Amnesia, which can be found from an android in the big multi-story building where you first land. Makes endings C&D more impactful imo.

Top Bottom