• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Baliis

The OST is just too good for this world. I just finished the section with (Route C)
Pascal and the children at the factory and damn what a heavy scene. The music during the goliath fight makes it like 20 times cooler than it should be, then the total silence afterwards.
. Out of curiousity, what happens (Route C)
with the different options there with Pascal? I simply walked out the door and left him there rather than kill him/wipe his memory. Does much change or does it have an impact later and I should just play and see.

chrono01

Man, this game.

So I'm finishing up side-quests I missed my first time through the game, and just completed "YoRHa Betrayers". (Full Game Spoilers)
It's really interesting when you know everything that's going on, as the dialogue behind the characters have a different meaning. It's clear that the "YoRHa Betrayers" were YoRHa members that learned the truth behind humanity's destruction and the fact that they no longer exist, and decided to separate and live their own lives. The Commander couldn't have that, not with that knowledge out there, so she instituted a lie about them having deserted and stealing supplies from The Resistance, which turned out not to be true. Then, 9S's inquiry afterwards to his Operator, 210, who seemed flustered, not being able to provide him with any information regarding it, advising him to "be careful". It's clear she was concerned for him, knowing that if he asked more questions he'd get closer to the truth that would result in his current self being destroyed and re-booted. 2B saying afterwards that "we're here to fight, that's all" was also likely a ploy to get 9S back on track.

Damn. I love this kind of things in games, the more I play/learn, the more I get out of it all.

The OST is just too good for this world. ]
It is flawless. The 8 bit songs are fucking awesome too.

Out of curiousity, what happens (Route C)
with the different options there with Pascal? I simply walked out the door and left him there rather than kill him/wipe his memory. Does much change or does it have an impact later and I should just play and see.

you MONSTER. What the hell is wrong with you

jonjonaug

The OST is just too good for this world. I just finished the section with (Route C)
Pascal and the children at the factory and damn what a heavy scene. The music during the goliath fight makes it like 20 times cooler than it should be, then the total silence afterwards.
. Out of curiousity, what happens (Route C)

Oh man. You might want to reload that chapter after you complete the game and unlock chapter select just to see for yourself for the
memory wipe one
instead of clicking the below. It's not something you need to worry about for your first playthrough though.

What happens if you
kill him
:
Nothing, he just dies

What happens if you
wipe his memories
:
He'll go back to the Machine Village, find all the dead Machines, and decide to open up a shop selling the "junk" he found lying around. So you basically buy the parts of the machine villagers off of him. It's horridly morbid and also the best way in the game to get Machine Heads/Torsos/Arms/Legs since they're pretty cheap compared to how rarely they drop normally.

Oh man. You might want to reload that chapter after you complete the game and unlock chapter select just to see for yourself for the
memory wipe one
instead of clicking the below. It's not something you need to worry about for your first playthrough though.

What happens if you
kill him
:
Nothing, he just dies

What happens if you
wipe his memories
:
He'll go back to the Machine Village, find all the dead Machines, and decide to open up a shop selling the "junk" he found lying around. So you basically buy the parts of the machine villagers off of him. It's horridly morbid and also the best way in the game to get Machine Heads/Torsos/Arms/Legs since they're pretty cheap compared to how rarely they drop normally.

...I missed all that.
I wiped his memory but never thought of going back to the village

I can't stand for this

Fuck you, Yoko Taro

spiritfox

memory wipe one

What happens if you
kill him
:
Nothing, he just dies

What happens if you
wipe his memories
:

How ironic that the most barbaric option might be the most humane.

Level 85 lol. The flight segment enemies scale to your level so I guess they just hit that hard on hard mode? Idk.

Yea flight parts are scaled, I played the whole game on hard mode. Keep in mind each pod shares a separate super cooldown, so you can rotate through and have 3 L1s ready. It also has tons of invincibility, so even if you do it in the middle of a bunch of dark orbs, you can mash dodge during it, so you can get the perfect evade to get out of some mess.

Finally got through ending A after about 20 hours of exploring and doing most side quests. How many hours extra would the others be if I did most side quests? Gonna try to get this wrapped up in time for Persona 5.

Edit: Should've looked at OT. ~55 hours to do everything, so maybe 40 if I were guess as I'm not planning on upgrading everything.

Astral

Yea flight parts are scaled, I played the whole game on hard mode. Keep in mind each pod shares a separate super cooldown, so you can rotate through and have 3 L1s ready. It also has tons of invincibility, so even if you do it in the middle of a bunch of dark orbs, you can mash dodge during it, so you can get the perfect evade to get out of some mess.

I didn't know about the super for each pod. That's really useful, thanks.

well then. lol.

yea, some of the flight enemies do scale. nothing else does for some reason. continues to bother me.

Yeah it's a fucking head scratcher. Going from that to fighting level 3 enemies was so disappointing. I even removed all chips and weapons during the second boss and I still killed it in two or three hits.

I didn't know about the super for each pod. That's really useful, thanks.

Yeah it's a fucking head scratcher. Going from that to fighting level 3 enemies was so disappointing. I even removed all chips and weapons during the second boss and I still killed it in two or three hits.

Like I said the other day, it's part of the reason I was more ready than usual to reset and start over. It's not fun killing anything in 2 hits. It really, really, REALLY isn't.

You work hard for 50+ hours to get all the weapons and get them to level 4, then you don't get an opportunity to appreciate any of them because everything dies so fast. My only real disappointment with the game.

Just got this last night after waiting enviously for a few weeks. Not far in yet but omg this is amazing. Soundtrack is sublime, combat is excellent and I love a good story. Very happy. Not had any experience with the original Nier but wow I'm loving this. Roll on end of work so I can keep playing!!

chrono01

Just got this last night after waiting enviously for a few weeks. Not far in yet but omg this is amazing. Soundtrack is sublime, combat is excellent and I love a good story. Very happy. Not had any experience with the original Nier but wow I'm loving this. Roll on end of work so I can keep playing!!
Enjoy, friend. It's one hell of a ride. :)

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
img_0137axx3r.jpg

Mmmmmm today was a good day

Mmmmmm today was a good day

I also really want the Nier soundtrack. But there appears to be a song missing? Listened on iTunes and I couldn't find the track that plays when at the
apartment complex in the desert.

Maybe I missed it because there are only 30 sec previews.

Edit: never mind, found it!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
o_O

GR2! P5! You have impeccable taste.

CD Japan just shipped my Nier Automata OST. It's going to be a long wait.

Nier came from amazon which was amazingly quick. The other two came from CD Japan and were shipped a few days earlier. Nice to have everything show up together today though

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You get one shotted during the flight unit segments on hard mode? That's really annoying.

1 or 2 shot. Yeah. I almost turned off hard mode for the big SHMUP fight but I toughed it through.

Spam melee to swat down bullets.

Rpgmonkey

So I finished Persona 5 (bought it last year and just now finished it, much longer game than I anticipated), and of course the best thing to play right after going through all that is yet another RPG. We'll see if skipping a palette cleanser was a bad idea. :p

Anyway, I bought this a few weeks ago but only put in about two hours just to try it out. I don't really know much about this game to be honest, bought it because it was well-received and there isn't anything else I'm buying anytime soon. Before I really start digging in is there anything useful to keep in mind for this game? Mainly, can I wing it and not come away feeling like I missed half the game's content? I don't know if I'll do everything but I don't know if this game clearly points out all side quests, or hides some while showing others, or uses some other kind of process.

Ferrio

Banned
So I finished Persona 5 (bought it last year and just now finished it, much longer game than I anticipated), and of course the best thing to play right after going through all that is yet another RPG. We'll see if skipping a palette cleanser was a bad idea. :p

Anyway, I bought this a few weeks ago but only put in about two hours just to try it out. I don't really know much about this game to be honest, bought it because it was well-received and there isn't anything else I'm buying anytime soon. Before I really start digging in is there anything useful to keep in mind for this game? Mainly, can I wing it and not come away feeling like I missed half the game's content? I don't know if I'll do everything but I don't know if this game clearly points out all side quests, or hides some while showing others, or uses some other kind of process.

Try not to skip sidequests if you can, they tie into the story. The game does a good job pointing them out. Don't stop after you get the first ending.

chrono01

Yeah, you don't really need to know any previous Nier-related stuff to enjoy this game. There's a few winks/nods here for fans of the previous works, and a few of the prior story content might be spoiled for you a bit, but it's nothing terribly huge. I didn't play the original Nier either (I own it for the PS3 though), and understood everything. There's nothing really missable either, except for an ending where you need to do something specific during the secret boss fight.

What I'd recommend is to take your time and DO SIDE-QUESTS! I know a lot of people go straight through the story and avoid side-quests, but not only will they keep you properly-leveled for the story content, but you'll also learn more about the world/characters as you do, making you appreciate everything even more.

However, I'd avoid any/all Nier Automata-related threads (aside from this one, if you absolutely must converse with people about it) to risk spoiler exposure. I only popped in here once or twice during my first play-through, since I wanted to experience everything first-hand and have nothing (unintentionally or otherwise) ruined for me. It's not a long game and not overly complicated, so you should be able to manage on your own.

Above all, enjoy yourself. Nier Automata is a special game. Savor your first run through and let the amazing music/story/characters wash over you.

LotusHD

Banned

Don't be frugal, just buy a bunch of curatives and get it out of the way. Other than that, the main thing you should spend your money on first and foremost is chip capacity upgrades. The more space you have, the more chips you get to use.

As for the sidequests, I'd advise you to wait until you unlock fast travel before trying to do a bunch of them, otherwise you may easily burn yourself out, as it can be tedious to backtrack everywhere.

Here's a couple of sidequests to consider doing as you play through the game, assuming you come by them. The map always informs you of all the sidequests you can do at a given time, as they are marked by red dots.

There are several routes (Route A, B, C, etc.), so some of the listed sidequests may be in an route other than Route A.

Exentryk

Was just rewatching the start of route C again, and I got goosebumps
at that moment when the bunker is about to explode and 2B screams! The helplessness of the situation, the epic background music, 2B's rage.. man it's such a fantastic moment!

Going to continue my C playthrough now, so let's see what other great moments are in store for me.

Rpgmonkey

Try not to skip sidequests if you can, they tie into the story. The game does a good job pointing them out. Don't stop after you get the first ending.

Yeah, you don't really need to know any previous Nier-related stuff to enjoy this game. There's a few winks/nods here for fans of the previous works, and a few of the prior story content might be spoiled for you a bit, but it's nothing terribly huge. I didn't play the original Nier either (I own it for the PS3 though), and understood everything. There's nothing really missable either, except for an ending where you need to do something specific during the secret boss fight.

What I'd recommend is to take your time and DO SIDE-QUESTS! I know a lot of people go straight through the story and avoid side-quests, but not only will they keep you properly-leveled for the story content, but you'll also learn more about the world/characters as you do, making you appreciate everything even more.

However, I'd avoid any/all Nier Automata-related threads (aside from this one, if you absolutely must converse with people about it) to risk spoiler exposure. I only popped in here once or twice during my first play-through, since I wanted to experience everything first-hand and have nothing (unintentionally or otherwise) ruined for me. It's not a long game and not overly complicated, so you should be able to manage on your own.

Above all, enjoy yourself. Nier Automata is a special game. Savor your first run through and let the amazing music/story/characters wash over you.

Don't be frugal, just buy a bunch of curatives and get it out of the way. Other than that, the main thing you should spend your money on first and foremost is chip capacity upgrades. The more space you have, the more chips you get to use.

As for the sidequests, I'd advise you to wait until you unlock fast travel before trying to do a bunch of them, otherwise you may easily burn yourself out, as it can be tedious to backtrack everywhere.

Here's a couple of sidequests to consider doing as you play through the game, assuming you come by them. The map always informs you of all the sidequests you can do at a given time, as they are marked by red dots.

There are several routes (Route A, B, C, etc.), so some of the listed sidequests may be in an route other than Route A.

Cool, thanks! :)

I might not pop back in the thread until I've made some significant progress lol, but this is useful advice. I'll keep it in mind.

Koozek

Man, this game.

So I'm finishing up side-quests I missed my first time through the game, and just completed "YoRHa Betrayers". (Full Game Spoilers)
It's really interesting when you know everything that's going on, as the dialogue behind the characters have a different meaning. It's clear that the "YoRHa Betrayers" were YoRHa members that learned the truth behind humanity's destruction and the fact that they no longer exist, and decided to separate and live their own lives. The Commander couldn't have that, not with that knowledge out there, so she instituted a lie about them having deserted and stealing supplies from The Resistance, which turned out not to be true. Then, 9S's inquiry afterwards to his Operator, 210, who seemed flustered, not being able to provide him with any information regarding it, advising him to "be careful". It's clear she was concerned for him, knowing that if he asked more questions he'd get closer to the truth that would result in his current self being destroyed and re-booted. 2B saying afterwards that "we're here to fight, that's all" was also likely a ploy to get 9S back on track.

Damn. I love this kind of things in games, the more I play/learn, the more I get out of it all.
wee-bey-oh-shit.gif

Ohhhh, now it makes sense!

Jintor

Man, this game.

Damn. I'd completely forgotten about that side quest.

This game

Kyonashi

Midway through Route B and I just discovered the
'Explode/Subjugate/Remote Control' options when hacking.
But it only appears sometimes, most times they just explode. What's the rules on this?

Moonkid

Midway through Route B and I just discovered the
'Explode/Subjugate/Remote Control' options when hacking.
But it only appears sometimes, most times they just explode. What's the rules on this?
You only get options for enemies that aren't aggro'd yet I believe.

Top Bottom