• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Liking Route B so far, just past unlocking
fast travel
again, around the mid-way point.

From a gameplay perspective,
I like it freshening up the combat with different movesets for 9S and the hacking. I actually really like hacking; it's a fun change-of-pace from the combat that I was starting to find a little repetitive. The new bullet patterns are also helping keeping things fresh.

Story-wise, general impressions are that
the new story content doesn't really have a reason or backing for why it's suddenly appearing like the original Nier did for its NG+. That's a little weird, makes it less interesting because it doesn't have a connection to the protagonists so far like the concept of "This is what Kainé has been experiencing all along!" in NG+ of Nier. Here, it's more that it's just there. So less of a interesting way to tie it into the story.

Still loving the writing, but man, I officially consider it a flaw in the story that there's no driving emotional core to the story at this point. Even if it does pop up later, that it's gone this far without that core is making me have trouble connecting with the story at this point.

I'm interested and intrigued, but I'm still not invested yet in the main plot. Until then, the side quests are the best part of the game for me.

I'm an hour in and just got he notification to turn on messages and connect to network. This isn't like dark souls or something where I could get spoiled on accident is it?

So how hard is "hard" mode. I typically like to start gsmes on that bc most games are way too easy nowadays. But I tried the first part and died a lot (flying and the first battle lol). You I die in like 2 hits at the beginning. Should I push through or is hard a bit too hard for a first time? I've played a lot of their other games but usually on normal.

Gbraga

So how hard is "hard" mode. I typically like to start gsmes on that bc most games are way too easy nowadays. But I tried the first part and died a lot (flying and the first battle lol). You I die in like 2 hits at the beginning. Should I push through or is hard a bit too hard for a first time? I've played a lot of their other games but usually on normal.

There are no difficulty trophies, just start on Normal until at least you can get to the first save point, then you can try Hard without having to start from the beginning again.

I still haven't finished this game, and I've owned it since launch. I'm on route C right now after
playing as A2 and helping Pascal while he's controlling the goliath, now I'm playing as 9S since I can't continue A2's part.

I'm guessing the reason why I haven't finished the game yet is because I don't want it to be over. I haven't felt this way for a game since my first playthrough of Persona 4.

There are no difficulty trophies, just start on Normal until at least you can get to the first save point, then you can try Hard without having to start from the beginning again.

Oh that's cool about the trophies. I'll start on normal until first save point as you suggested. I hated having to do the first part over and over again lol

Just finished route A. Why were there some sidequests I couldn't reach? There was one in the factory that I couldn't find at all. And special items also transfer?
I bought an alien mask and some Side Clothes from Emil.

Strimei

Finished ending B.

I saw the twist coming but it still was surprising, but the factory's servers having the Gestalt info is...curious.

That preview for C though...oof. Is that what plays at the start of the game? (I've skipped it every time, since I was told to do so)

Just finished up route B.

Question, how long will route
C-E
take me? Hoping I can wrap up the game before Persona consumes me. Route A + B took me
21 hours.

Mechazawa

Route A felt like a weird fever dream of things just happening randomly. I remember original Nier at least having a more cohesive first playthrough.

Route A felt like a weird fever dream of things just happening randomly. I remember original Nier at least having a more cohesive first playthrough.

It sorta was. It sorta like I was going place to place to see what weird themed things the machines were trying to do this time. Pretty charming tho

kewlmyc

Halfway through
route C
and I feel like crawling in a hole and crying.

Literally nothing is going right. 9S is a husk at this point. 2B, Pascal, 210.... ;_;

Exentryk

Finished C, D and E.

To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid fucking world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

HhahahahAhhaaHAHAhHAAaaa... hahaheahah... aaahhah...

Meaningless [C]ode indeed. And then that insane [E]nd of Yorha, where you're fighting for your save data and to save the guys in a fucking credits screen?! And holy crap deleting your save to help others... wow! I definitely chose no, since I still have to do post-game bosses and what not, but damn! I might go back and help out once I've backed up the saves and done everything in the game.

Don't think there could have been a better ending to this madness. Well done, Yoko Taro!

LotusHD

Banned
Finished C, D and E.

To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid fucking world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

HhahahahAhhaaHAHAhHAAaaa... hahaheahah... aaahhah...

Meaningless [C]ode indeed. And then that insane [E]nd of Yorha, where you're fighting for your save data and to save the guys in a fucking credits screen?! And holy crap deleting your save to help others... wow! I definitely chose no, since I still have to do post-game bosses and what not, but damn! I might go back and help out once I've backed up the saves and done everything in the game.

Don't think there could have been a better ending to this madness. Well done, Yoko Taro!

Ya finally made it!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh my god this route :((((((((((((((((

Also LEL
1WuIAfO.jpg

Gbraga

Father Servo broke me last night. I fought another level 50 machine
in the Lord of the Valley sidequest
and thought I'd be good.

I was wrong. I don't even know how much time I wasted there, but at least I'm done with it. I hope.
I like how the ending was pretty much "why did you do this?", no payoff or anything. Thank you, Yoko Taro.

Hektor

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been costume DLC yet.

SE would've made so much money on good costumes when the game was still fresh and #hype

By now the majority of players will have finished the game and moved on.

Even original Nier and Drakengard 3 had some

Jintor

- Kaine costume
- Lara Croft costume
- Even more Final Fantasy references everywhere

Also I want Yoko Taro to work on a Hitman level for no particular reason

Finished C. This game's narrative is real good. Layered in an interesting non-cheap way, and the reveals delivered at just the right times. The themes are developed fairly delicately too
conflict as purpose, exploring humanity through contrasting AI frameworks (individualist/collectivist). Can't think of any other game director who's so facile at getting the player to deconstruct violence
. Impressive, even coming off the original game.

Going to knock out D and E and then it's Persona time. I'll likely come back for sidequests though...

KodaRuss

I just finished Route A, how long is Route B by comparison? Route A took me around 12hours (probably only ended up doing about 7-8 side quests)

Exentryk

First optional boss done
(Amusement Park Rabbit). Fairly easy to dodge attacks, just takes some time as he has a lot of health. Hits hard though, but I guess that's what makes it interesting.

Hektor

When can I upgrade weapons in route C?

The smith in the reistance camp shouldn't take long to umlock

Alternatively there's always

masamune in the forest castle

I just finished Route A, how long is Route B by comparison? Route A took me around 12hours (probably only ended up doing about 7-8 side quests)

It's shorter than Route A and got less sidequests. So probably 4-8 Hours

Rixxan

I'm fighting E
ve .
and I didn't really have an opportunity to stock up on heals before the fight now I'm stuck in final phase without a single one - oof

I'm really, really, really enjoying my first sixish hours with this game. The soundtrack is fantastic. The thematic nature really makes it for me.

Top Bottom