• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Gbraga

Man, I wish there was an option to disable levels or enable boss level scaling. :(

This boss fight I just did looked so cool, but the boss just couldn't deal with my current level, and I'm not gonna ignore sidequests just to make the main interesting. Very Hard also doesn't quite interest me because dying in one hit is more of a challenge run than something I want for my first playthrough.

I was actually running around so I could get all of the battle dialogue, because if I went in and attacked he would die in no time.

32 hours, I feel like I'm approaching the ending of Route A.

Rixxan

Is there an "ideal" level recommendation for the different routes?

I finished route A at 25 and I didn't feel underleveled or overleveled - I also did a around 25-30% of side quests

Anyway starting the next route now - really enjoy the game

Also LEL
1WuIAfO.jpg

Darn it, I don't recall seeing any fallen gaffers

well you'll prolly see me a lot whenever I decide to restart on hard

I finished route A at 25 and I didn't feel underleveled or overleveled - I also did a around 25-30% of side quests

Not really, you should always be properly leveled as you do the story/complete sidequests, no grinding is ever necessary

Gbraga

Did you play on Hard?

I'm level 36 or 37, still didn't finish Route A, 57% side quest completion, IIRC.

What makes me hesitate to put the game on Hard is the occasional enemy with a fuckton of HP. It's not challenging or anything, it just takes so goddamn long that I'm not sure I want to make these fights take even longer.

Can you change the difficulty in the middle of the game? I might just bump it to Hard or Very Hard on bosses, and then back to Normal for exploration.

Did you play on Hard?

I'm level 36 or 37, still didn't finish Route A, 57% side quest completion, IIRC.

What makes me hesitate to put the game on Hard is the occasional enemy with a fuckton of HP. It's not challenging or anything, it just takes so goddamn long that I'm not sure I want to make these fights take even longer.

Can you change the difficulty in the middle of the game? I might just bump it to Hard or Very Hard on bosses, and then back to Normal for exploration.

yeppers you can change the difficulty at any time in the menu

gogojira

So, I just bought this on a whim. I've been tempted but didn't want the overlap with Zelda. Going in pretty blind but there seems to be an overwhelmingly positive buzz. Anyways, pretty damn hyped to join the Nier crowd, my copy should arrive Wednesday!

I'm on route B, do I have to do all the remaining sidequests before the end of this route or will I get a chance later? I have no idea what to expect from the game after this.

Dio

Banned
I'm on route B, do I have to do all the remaining sidequests before the end of this route or will I get a chance later? I have no idea what to expect from the game after this.

Don't worry. It's impossible to get locked out of sidequests.
There is a chapter select you will unlock.

OniBaka

If they are the gold enemies then leave them for route B.

Bogeypop

You have to backtrack as
9S so you can hack to get it
to the 'dark' version of the factory. You know, after the whole
BECOME AS GODS
thing.

Abandoned Factory: Furnace as 9S. Can only get it in route C.

Yeah I've been looking in
the Furnace while in Route C
, but can't find it. Would you happen to have a screenshot or video of the location?

Dio

Banned
Yeah I've been looking in
the Furnace while in Route C
, but can't find it. Would you happen to have a screenshot or video of the location?

If I remember correctly,

Warp to furnace. Go upwards through the factory until you come to a multi-door room that has a 'hacking lock' over one of the doors. At the end of that tiny area is a chest to hack with the report in it.

Bogeypop

I believe it's in the same location as the
FFXV sword.

Which is odd I can't find that area again since I already got the Engine Blade, but I don't remember where.

If I remember correctly,

Warp to furnace. Go upwards through the factory until you come to a multi-door room that has a 'hacking lock' over one of the doors. At the end of that tiny area is a chest to hack with the report in it.

I only found
two hackable doors
. One led to the
Cruel Arrogance Spear
and the other was
a conveyor belt that led to a normal chest

Dio

Banned
Which is odd I can't find that area again since I already got the Engine Blade, but I don't remember where.

I only found
two hackable doors
. One led to the
Cruel Arrogance Spear
and the other was
a conveyor belt that led to a normal chest

I'm pretty sure that second room you found still has what you're looking for, you just need to do some platforming to get on top. I might be remembering it wrong though.

Someone correct me if my memory is wrong.

TsuWave

Still haven't played this. heard good things about it and was planning on getting it eventually but today i got on youtube and one of the people i'm subscribed to dropped a review, which i haven't even finished watching but the guy describes it as a masterpiece in the first couple minutes and mention Jim Sterling saying its one of the most important games ever to be released and now i'm like "wtf. this must be a must get then".

is the game really that good? 2017 is crazy then

edit - this is the review btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NiyfG8Ctbo

Dio

Banned

Yes, it's amazing, but I hate how people get their expectations SO HIGH for certain games that they can't possibly live up to the image in their heads.

That being said, to me playing this game (even after Drakengard 1, 3 and Nier) is like playing MGS2, or Zone of the Enders 2, or Grandia for the first time. For some people that played FF7, this game is like playing FF7 for the first time for them.

It is a landmark achievement that is hardly perfect, but is much more than the sum of its parts.

Okay, I'm on Route B and I have a bazillion rad chips that I want to equip, but my chip space is only at 128 after buying stuff from the resistance camp vendor. Is there any way to increase it further? Or am I stuck fusing stuff?

Baalzebup

Okay, I'm on Route B and I have a bazillion rad chips that I want to equip, but my chip space is only at 128 after buying stuff from the resistance camp vendor. Is there any way to increase it further? Or am I stuck fusing stuff?
128 is the cap, but have you paid attention to actually keeping the chip equip costs as low as possible by only fusing up low-cost chips? Just randomly fusing shit together will make for terribly sub-optimal results where chip space requirements are concerned.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well I was in the
Flooded City
and the boss sent out
that giant EMP blast. Now I guess I can never complete those quests that disappeared afterwards?

Dio

Banned
Well I was in the
Flooded City
and the boss sent out
that giant EMP blast. Now I guess I can never complete those quests that disappeared afterwards?

You can never be locked out of sidequests permanently as long as you keep playing.

I managed to complete the side quest where you
find Emil's house, then track down the Lunar Tears for him. When I heard Emil and Kaine's themes at various points thoughout this quest it almost made me cry.
The feels.

Strimei

C:
I got punched to death by the thing you fight at the top/hacking section of the Soul Box. Would've been nice if there was a checkpoint there instead of forcing me to go through the whole dam box again.

Oh.

Too late, I guess. Would the story change or is it just easier?

Just easier, which is a weird suggestion since you were complaining about steamrolling everything. I'd say you made the right call doing it in route A since it's a more interesting encounter that way. Looking back on it the golden robots in the desert were easily my favorite to fight in the entire game.

I had the same overleveling problem and if I could go back and do my first run of all the main endings over again it'd be to never use EXP UP chips. Hard mode helps a little but it feels like their defense and HP are the same so they still die too quickly even though they hit harder.

Ryne

Finished route A after about 11 hours at around level 35, so into B now. Took me a while to get there, hopefully I can finish more sidequests in this one.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just got D. Does anyone know if
your answer to Adam affects anything?
also should I have
done C first for any reason?

LotusHD

Banned
Still haven't played this. heard good things about it and was planning on getting it eventually but today i got on youtube and one of the people i'm subscribed to dropped a review, which i haven't even finished watching but the guy describes it as a masterpiece in the first couple minutes and mention Jim Sterling saying its one of the most important games ever to be released and now i'm like "wtf. this must be a must get then".

Yea, something slight. Not even gonna bother to try and hype you or anything, just play it and see for yourself.

spiritfox

Note the title of the thread.

jackdoe

Fully upgraded the engine blade. The weapon story does a better job setting up the Noctis/Regis relationship than the whole of Final Fantasy XV.

True Fire

The game is a masterpiece for reasons specified in the review—game design and story integration.

Don't make any assumptions about how good the game is, because I find assumptions are what prevent people from enjoying it. ("This is good, but when does it become a 10/10 masterpiece??")

It's really the little moments that make NieR special.

Wow, blown away by the start of Route C. I got chills again lol. I'm feeling the opposite from the way ending A & B wrapped up right now. I won't have time to play again until next weekend too, damn the anticipation of where it will go is killing me.

Sarcasm

Guys all these red dots and I can't find them, are they quests or something? Really killing my focus and enjoyment.

I got to
robot city on the tree after the carnival
. I got a quest to go back to the Desert, how do I?

Top Bottom