• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Overclock is a really fun ability. Really makes you feel like this superfast badass!

SoulfulExcitableKestrel.gif

It's my favorite chip in the game. It's so cool.

I just finished Path A. It took me about 18 hours and I was looking to do as much of the side content as possible. And boy do I have a lot of feelings. Like the original NieR, this game showed me things I don't think I'll ever forget. For better and for worse. These are my mostly spoiler free impressions of the game.

I intend to platinum this game. I love this game. It's the best game Taro Yoka has done yet by a huge margin and could possibly be my Game of the Year. That said, like the original NieR it's a flawed game but it's ultimately more than the sum of it's parts. But god damn do those parts add up.

First things first, I cannot praise the combat system and movement in this game enough. This is one of those games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne and GW2 where the core feeling of combat and movement are so good that you can do just about anything and it's immensely engaging. Just the experience of moving throughout this huge world engaging enemies in packs as you go is immensely fun. The flow and rhythm of the combat might not be Bayonetta 2 levels, but when you add in traversing the world and the RPG elements I can't understate how much fun this aspect of the game is.
The soundtrack is once again excellent, and heartbreakingly beautiful and ethereal just like Nier 1's OST. Once I'm not worried about spoilers for the additional paths to the game that I have yet to complete, I am downloading that and putting it on my music player ASAP.

If there's any problem with the game, I feel it lies in focus and scale.

The intro stage of this game is the best one I feel. It's tightly made and features a lot of well thought out enemy encounters. Nothing else comes close to it in my opinion. I think one of the things this game needed was two or three more dungeon style areas that provide that carefully designed experience with level design and encounter design.

The game is also hurting for more enemy variety and more engaging boss battles. One or two extra weapon types wouldn't hurt, either.

The chip system is pretty cool and a great system for customizing your character. That said, I wish it was less focused on things like raw damage and increased health and more focused around making you chose between all the cooler chips that change the way combat works like Overclock and Evasion.

While the flow of exploration and combat are absolutely incredible, I think the game should of just had you automata-ically ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) pick up items on the ground as you run over them. There's something really unsatisfying about going though the world and darting about, engaging in a combat encounter, and then grinding the flow of the game to a halt as you stop dead in your tracks to pick up the loot from the enemies you've just killed.

I could also criticize the length of the game. But I think my feelings of feeling sad over beating it are more the result of the fact that I feel like I could run around endlessly doing anything in this game and still have fun. I feel like the game could have an endless flat plane with packets of enemies sprinkled about and some landmarks to platform on and no other content and I feel like I could just play that for 100 hours straight that's how good the core gameplay feels.

While 2B is immensely likable, the rest of the games party just isn't as engaging the way NieR 1's party was.
The banter between characters in that game and the group dynamic is just more interesting than Automata's main cast as a whole. 9S is just a yes man who get steamrolled by 2B's sheer force of personality as a no nonsense soldier. The POD unit is just an AI that despite suggesting murder as the optimal solution to problems a worrying amount of times, doesn't have much interesting to say.

While the story is weird and strange in all the wonderful ways Taro Yoko games are, I think it's missing that core through-line that NieR 1 had. Despite NieR's strange story turns, everything was tied together by Nier's goal of saving his daughter. Automata by comparison doesn't have an element like that to tie everything together. It feels more open ended. You have the set up, and the story can go anywhere and do anything because there's very little tying the various arcs in the main quest together. Again, I've only reached the end of the first route so my opinion on the story could change as I work towards 100% completion. Then again, you could say this fits the setting as the set up of this game is you fighting in an endless war against machines that has raged for thousands of years with no end in sight and that the directionless feeling of the story fits the setting.

All around amazing game despite my criticisms. I can't stop thinking about it.

Astral

It's my favorite chip in the game. It's so cool.

I just finished Path A. It took me about 18 hours and I was looking to do as much of the side content as possible. And boy do I have a lot of feelings. Like the original NieR, this game showed me things I don't think I'll ever forget. For better and for worse. These are my spoiler free impressions of the game.

I intend to platinum this game. I love this game. It's the best game Taro Yoka has done yet by a huge margin and could possibly be my Game of the Year. That said, like the original NieR it's a flawed game but it's ultimately more than the sum of it's parts. But god damn do those parts add up.

First things first, I cannot praise the combat system and movement in this game enough. This is one of those games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne and GW2 where the core feeling of combat and movement are so good that you can do just about anything and it's immensely engaging. Just the experience of moving throughout this huge world engaging enemies in packs as you go is immensely fun. The flow and rhythm of the combat might not be Bayonetta 2 levels, but when you add in traversing the world and the RPG elements I can't understate how much fun this aspect of the game is. Like you could have an endless flat plane with packets of enemies sprinkled about and some landmarks to platform on and no other content and I feel like I could just play that for 100 hours straight that's how good the core gameplay feels.

The soundtrack is once again excellent, and heartbreakingly beautiful and ethereal just like Nier 1's OST. Once I'm not worried about spoilers for the additional paths to the game that I have yet to complete, I am downloading that and putting it on my music player ASAP.

If there's any problem with the game, I feel it lies in focus and scale.

The intro stage of this game is the best one I feel. It's tightly made and features a lot of well thought out enemy encounters. Nothing else comes close to it in my opinion. I think one of the things this game needed was two or three more dungeon style areas that provide that carefully designed experience with level design and encounter design.

The game is also hurting for more enemy variety and more engaging boss battles. One or two extra weapon types wouldn't hurt, either.

The chip system is pretty cool and a great system for customizing your character. That said, I wish it was less focused on things like raw damage and increased health and more focused around making you chose between all the cooler chips that change the way combat works like Overclock and Evasion.

While the flow of exploration and combat are absolutely incredible, I think the game should of just had you automata-ically ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) pick up items on the ground as you run over them. There's something really unsatisfying about going though the world and darting about, engaging in a combat encounter, and then grinding the flow of the game to a halt as you stop dead in your tracks to pick up the loot from the enemies you've just killed.

I could also criticize the length of the game. But I think my feelings of feeling sad over beating it are more the result of the fact that I feel like I could run around endlessly doing anything in this game and still have fun.

While 2B is immensely likable, the rest of the games party just isn't as engaging the way NieR 1's party was.
There banter between characters in that game and the group dynamic is just more interesting than Automata's main cast as a whole. 9S is just a yes man who get steamrolled by 2B's sheer force of personality as a no nonsense soldier. The POD unit is just an AI that despite suggesting murder as the optimal solution to problems a worrying amount of times, doesn't have much interesting to say.

While the story is weird and strange in all the wonderful ways Taro Yoko games are, I think it's missing that core through-line that NieR 1 had. Despite NieR's strange story turns, everything was tied together by Nier's goal of saving his daughter. Automata by comparison doesn't have an element like that to tie everything together. It feels more open ended. You have the set up, and the story can go anywhere and do anything because there's very little tying the various arcs in the main quest together. Again, I've only reached the end of the first route so my opinion on the story could change as I work towards 100% completion.

All around amazing game despite my criticisms. I can't stop thinking about it.

If you like the game this much after just getting ending A, you're in for a ride.

Exentryk

There is a chip for exactly this. You can buy it in a shop later in the game.

Baalzebup

I think the game should of just had you automata-ically ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) pick up items on the ground as you run over them.
There is actually a chip for that as well. This game has chips for all kinds of things.

As for the rest.. well, I'm pretty sure your penis *will* get more erect.

Edit, dammit, Exentryk!

Crayon

Why is this game so fucking good. When zelda came out, I happened to have all damn weekend to myself so I got to go hard on that game. A bit later for Nier, work has picked up a lot and I've been forced to play it in 1 and two hour chunks. Thankfully, the game bears being stretched and played in bits. There are good opportunities to save up and suspend the game, especially right after story beats that you can think about until the next session.

I guess what I'm saying is that for me this has been a long ass game and I am enjoying it very much. I am late in route c. Route a which I started on march 7th, feels like a distant memory. Such an excellent game. I really think many people will like this if they try it. So hopefully the word of mouth continues to ramp up.

So I picked this back up after finishing Horizon, and I appear to be stuck.

I'm I'm Pascal's Village and they told me to
take the filter to the resistance camp
but now I can't figure out how to get out of the village.

One path takes me back to the amusement park and the other leads to a dead end with a big door that won't open.

Help please?

One path takes me back to the amusement park and the other leads to a dead end with a big door that won't open.

Help please?

I forget exactly were it is but there is a path that leads directly back to the city.

Hektor

Help please?

The first path got a split into another path

Crayon

Help please?

One of the ways out should have a sot of wall or gate made of beams. It has a block in the middle you can push to make a way through. iirc...

The first path got a split into another path

Oh wow I am an idiot. The fixed camera angle on the wooden bridge madder it hard to see. Thanks for the help! I'm back at the camp now.

Also, I'm glad to finally understand the chip system. This game doesn't really like explaining things very much, but when things finally click I feel less intimidated.

Now time to farm materials to upgrade my pod and weapons. ❤️

Whales

Banned
is it possible to get 100% side quest completion on route B?

Because I pretty much did most of the sidequests I could find before the
forest kingdomm and im still at like 30% completion or something close to that

DodgeDusk

Finished the game a couple hours ago. Holy moly, what an experience this game has been. I bought it, not expecting much (first Yoko Taro game, and the only other Platinum hack-and-slash game I've played is Bayonetta), and the game just delivered in every aspect. Fantastic game, and I have no doubt it'll be a GOTY contender alongside Persona 5 and Trails in the Sky the 3rd. Absolutely incredible.

Near ending spoilers:
I walked away from Pascal by accident. When he said, "you're not going to leave me, A2, are you?" I was, like, "oh, can you? I thought the game would force me to either wipe his memories or kill him." So yeah, I carried on walking away, thinking the game would force me back. Felt like shit after doing that.

I sold his book, too.

I've got every trophy in the game the legit way barring the one for upgrading all pods, and the one for getting all endings
(Working on Y and its relevant side quest now to get it)
. I've come this far, I may as well do it properly, especially as all I need to do it upgrade Pod C from Level 1 to 3, but, ugh, not having much luck with simple gadgets and pure water so far. Any hints? Tips? This game is a fantastic ride that I want to see through to the end. Properly.

Except I might not complete my Unit Data/Fishing Encyclopedia.

EDIT: I bought it. I thought about it and changed my mind and decided that I didn't want to ruin my opinion of this game by finishing it with tedious, luck based grinding.
That last quest ended it perfectly. Well, for a Yoko Taro game.

J_Viper

Did I just fuck something up?

In the Flooded City,
there was a wounded robot kneeling next to an elevator, near the section where you're looking for 9S. Out of reflex I mashed X and destroyed it in a second, but know I'm worried that he was tied to a side-quest

Bowlie

Banned
Did I just fuck something up?

In the Flooded City,
there was a wounded robot kneeling next to an elevator, near the section where you're looking for 9S. Out of reflex I mashed X and destroyed it in a second, but know I'm worried that he was tied to a side-quest

He'll respawn, you're fine.

Philippo

The banter between characters in that game and the group dynamic is just more interesting than Automata's main cast as a whole. 9S is just a yes man who get steamrolled by 2B's sheer force of personality as a no nonsense soldier. The POD unit is just an AI that despite suggesting murder as the optimal solution to problems a worrying amount of times, doesn't have much interesting to say.

Duuuuuuude, brace yoself.

Astral

My game just crashed after 9S's
breakdown when Adam is trolling him
. I guess that's fitting lol. I'm not even mad.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So, wait, you just (early rt. C)
get a game over now?
also what does
taunt
do?

So with path A's story
I still can't get over the robot orgy and the mass suicide when you return to the factory. Those are going to haunt me forever.

I'm a bit into path B
and I don't like playing 9S all that much. He's just no where near as fluid as 2B. I'm kind of speed rushing my way through the story because of it. I wish I could go back to playing 2B. Also seeing myself adjust my settings was hilarious.

Also Simone : (

Jintor

yeah but the fun thing
with 9s is you can nearly i-KO med tier enemies and deal mass area damage at the same time

cm osi

do you need ps+ for
the online help in ending E or you just need to be online even if you're not on ps+?

J_Viper

Finished the first playthrough

Holy hell, that a unique and amazing experience. Can't wait to see what changes in the following playthroughs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I've put in a good chunk of time today and I'm after the part where
you take out the two Goliath Units right after finishing that quest for Pascale at the Machine Village.
I don't really have anything too much to add except the obvious like the music being wonderful through out, even through random areas and I love how music unlocks for a lot of quests. Even
the music box for the warehouse manager
was simple but great little tune.

The combat is excellent and stream lined thought I wish there were a few more weapon types. What I really love though is the clever takes on classic RPG systems. I love the chip system for example and having to juggle all the different kinds and even the ones that effect your HUD. I love tinkering and fooling around with different combos and same for the weapons which have some interesting combo set ups depending on the type. Combine that with the Pod abilities, having companions of different sort and makes for some fun combat. The enemies are pretty good if a bit repetitive though the bosses have been really good so far.

The story hasn't blown me away so far but I am enjoying it for the most part and I'm actually interested in the greater mystery of just what the fuck is going on. All the random characters are great even if some are a little shallow. I enjoy the quirkiness including characters named stuff like
Jack ass
I also really like 9S and 2B so far and the contrast between talkative and emotional and quiet and stern and how they interact with the side characters like the hilarious conversation with the
Little Sister Robot as you're walking through the desert. WHERE DO CHILDREN COME FROM?

Other than that I'm running around doing side quests for the moment. There are a ton spread around though most are pretty typical stuff though once again through a Yoko Taro Platinum Games lens which helps elevate a lot of this stuff in general. Its a great game and I'm guessing I'm still early in.

Edit: Two questions. Do you need to go back to the Bunker often and is there a way to fast travel at some point?

Top Bottom