• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Dio

Banned
Guys all these red dots and I can't find them, are they quests or something? Really killing my focus and enjoyment.

I got to
robot city on the tree after the carnival
. I got a quest to go back to the Desert, how do I?

They are, but you'll never be truly 'locked out' of ever doing them again so you don't have to find all the dots pathologically. Some are in areas you can't access right now anyway.

Don't worry about it. Games have conditioned you to do every possible thing, as soon as possible. Take it easy.

Exentryk

Guys all these red dots and I can't find them, are they quests or something? Really killing my focus and enjoyment.

I got to
robot city on the tree after the carnival
. I got a quest to go back to the Desert, how do I?

Run back all the way - first to the city, and then to the desert. You might want to hold off on some of these quests until you unlock fast travel.

Astral

I can see why some people were saying to start the game on easy or normal. You will straight up get one-shot sometimes on Hard and have to do the whole fucking intro all over again. This is my third fucking attempt.

Dio

Banned
I can see why some people were saying to start the game on easy or normal. You will straight up get one-shot sometimes on Hard and have to do the whole fucking intro all over again. This is my third fucking attempt.

You don't get a trophy for beating the game on X difficulty.

Set it to whatever you want, whenever you want. Just set it to Normal to finish the first level and then back to Hard if you feel like it.

Gbraga

Finished ending A and started B, just got to the Resistance Camp. 36 hours.

...wow. What an amazing final boss fight, wheeeew. Changing to Hard on bosses is definitely worth it, made the first few encounters much more exhilarating.

I'm very confused about a lot of things, but I'm just getting started, so I assume I'll find some of the anwers just by playing. What an amazing game. Surprised at the team size, watching the credits.

About the sidequests:
Can I just go straight to the locked room in the commercial building? I got the last Luna Tear right before the game locked me to the main story until the ending. I want to see what's inside. >_>

9S' gameplay so far has been a positive surprise. I was expecting much worse going by impressions. And cool that the average enemy level in the intro was 40, I guess Route B will be a lot more interesting as far as difficulty goes.
Too bad I won't be able to fight Adam, I guess. I'll have to try him on Very Hard when I unlock Chapter Select.

OniBaka

Yep, after I finished the game I started a fresh save on hard and haven't beaten the intro yet with 15 attempts.

Baalzebup

Didn't hydrophilic attack say it took him somewhere around 7½ hours to get past the prologue chapter since he insisted on doing it on Hard?

Exentryk

About the sidequests:
Can I just go straight to the locked room in the commercial building? I got the last Luna Tear right before the game locked me to the main story until the ending. I want to see what's inside. >_>

You'll have to redo the whole quest now. It should unlock after Forest zone.

Gbraga

You'll have to redo the whole quest now. It should unlock after Forest zone.

Ok, I'll go to every location right as soon as it unlocks then, I guess.

Thanks!

EDIT: What about
the Wandering Couple quest? Will it just finalize on route B or will I have to do it all over again? Last thing I did was to give them 50k, but I didn't get to check on them again after that.

OniBaka

Thanks!

the Wandering Couple quest? Will it just finalize on route B or will I have to do it all over again? Last thing I did was to give them 50k, but I didn't get to check on them again after that.

You have to start again.

spiritfox

Thanks!

You'll have to start over, I'm sorry.

Gbraga

You can actually get there way earlier before the major event starts.

Yeah, I figured you could, I just thought the game would flow better if I only did what was on previously visited maps, and only discovered new places with the story. And it did work, mostly, it was very enjoyable like that, but I ended up missing a couple of quests. It's fine.

I've been playing path C for a bit.
What the hell have I gotten myself into. Everyone is dead. Also if you played NieR it was so obvious that humanity was extinct because there was no way it couldn't be after the events of that game.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I got all major endings (A-E), and I posed a question to this thread: when does this game get good? I guess the answer is ending C/D when everything that happens kind of hits you and you get some closure on the themes and characters you encountered.

I switched playthroughs B-E on easy with auto everything, turning it back to normal when there was a boss fight and frankly made the game a lot more palatable (backhanded compliment since the game was literally playing itself hah). I didn't play the side quests because I found them boring but I liked what I read.

Overall this is probably one of the best 6-7/10 games I've went through, and the story and music will stick with me.

Some thoughts so far (almost done with route B):

Overall, I dig the game a ton. I think that one of the biggest flaws of the original game (i.e. the janky combat) is replaced by the Platinum goodness which is fantastic. Some of the boss sequences are vintage Platinum and far more of an epic set piece than anything seen in the original. That being said, the Okabe OST is amazingly good and the callbacks to the original game legitimately sent a shiver down my spine when I recognized what they were.

Having said that, there are still some issues. The backtracking, while nowhere near as bad in this game compared to the original is still present, especially with the "subsequent playthrough thing. The story, while good did seem less connected and focused than its predecessor. While they do go into Yoko Taro areas of intrigue, the first game was centered in on "save Yonah" vs this which is "let's vaguely protect mankind and fight a war against machines." And while I don't want to be "that guy," I did find it difficult and really newly frustrating some of the environments after 95+ hours of Zelda and the freedom to really go anywhere and climb any surface.

In a little bit more detail about the story thoughts: (BIG Nier 1 Spoilers and Automata spoilers through essentially almost done with route B):
To be honest, the whole "the other side of the war/thing I felt was done with a lot more weight with the revelation of the Shades in the original than in Automata. I think that the concept of the machines as living entities, but emulating humans but not really advancing was really interesting and brings up some interesting questions (like Pascal, the machine societies... etc) but the back stories of the main machines like Simone and the Forest Kingdom King were similar to the original without the same impact for me as opposed to say Hansel and Gretel or Roc. Also a lot of the revelations I just reached are essentially the Project Gestalt papers and the realization that Mankind was dead (which I suspected anyways since... you know... how Nier 1 ended).

Having said that, I'm getting to the point where I think some interesting stuff is gonna happen soon, especially with route C and D so who knows, I might take some or all of this back. :)

Mik317

So Route C.......

Just finished the thing with Pascal....I think I need to go think about what is life.....and lie dow

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait, I thought i was on Route C. How did I get the D ending?

Whales

Banned
can anyone tell me where to use the
forest kingdom key the find the lost treasure? Im looking atthe map but the spot it tells me to go is unreachable...

im on route B in case its supposed to be for another route

Haly

Okay, so for C/D can someone ELI5 the plot point of:
2B is actually 2E, and has apparently killed 9S multiple times even before the events of rout A/B? Because I feel like this went over my head entirely I didn't notice it anywhere

Exentryk

EDIT: also sheesh, can anyone tell me why sometimes when you finish quests the
music turns insanely creepy? is it because its a quest with a bad ending or what?

if the answer is spoiler-ish then nvm I dont want to know lol

Music just reflects the tone of the event you just experienced.

Exentryk

2B is actually 2E, and has apparently killed 9S multiple times even before the events of rout A/B? Because I feel like this went over my head entirely I didn't notice it anywhere

Yes, correct. Try to
recall the moments from the game, or see this image
to refresh your memories.

LotusHD

Banned

Remember her opening line of wanting to kill god. Remember her balling up her fist shortly after realizing 9S lost his memories back on the bunker. Remember the Amnesia sidequest. Why she says "emotions are prohibited", yet only she follows that mantra. Why she weirdly got very close to 9S (when they were about to commit suicide via black box) when we thought they seemingly first met at the factory in the beginning of the game. Why she cried at killing 9S at the end of Route A/B and says "It always ends like this" And so on. They all hint at her true feelings regarding her role.

Haly

Remember her opening line of wanting to kill god. Remember her balling up her fist shortly after realizing 9S lost his memories back on the bunker. Remember the Amnesia sidequest. Why she says "emotions are prohibited", yet only she follows that mantra. Why she weirdly got very close to 9S (when they were about to commit suicide via black box) when we thought they seemingly first met at the factory in the beginning of the game. Why she cried at killing 9S at the end of Route A/B and says "It always ends like this" And so on. They all hint at her true feelings regarding her role.
Ah yes I see all of that now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The weapon story especially is heartbreaking.

A place where i am as close as possible, yet eternally distant.

Like fuck, dude.

Haly

C:
tl2vVPH.gif

D:
MAMrBoD.gif

E:
05N38yi.gif

SHarris78

Only a few hours in but its been a pretty frustrating experience so far. Though it holds around 60fps most of the time there's a lot of stuttering when traversing the world. I find the map only helps a little, just very basic in its layout. The worst offender though is the lack of fast travel between access points.

One of the early missions has you going from the robot village to some characters in various parts of the map - spent about 2 hours doing that one mission going back and fore numerous times, so tedious

On the plus side I can't not continue because I'm super invested in the story, I quite enjoy the combat plus there may by tunes as epic as 'this cannot continue' still waiting to be heard.

Chichikov

Only a few hours in but its been a pretty frustrating experience so far. Though it holds around 60fps most of the time there's a lot of stuttering when traversing the world. I find the map only helps a little, just very basic in its layout. The worst offender though is the lack of fast travel between access points.

One of the early missions has you going from the robot village to some characters in various parts of the map - spent about 2 hours doing that one mission going back and fore numerous times, so tedious

On the plus side I can't not continue because I'm super invested in the story, I quite enjoy the combat plus there may by tunes as epic as 'this cannot continue' still waiting to be heard.
I'd recommend waiting until you get <not really a spoiler, it's a game mechanic, but people are sensitive>
quick travel
to do the sidequests (at least those that aren't directly in your path).
It's way less tedious that way and AFAIK, you can't really miss sidequests.

SHarris78

I'd recommend waiting until you get <not really a spoiler, it's a game mechanic, but people are sensitive>
quick travel
to do the sidequests (at least those that aren't directly in your path).
It's way less tedious that way and AFAIK, you can't really miss sidequests.

That mechanic will indeed be most welcome, good to know it's an option that will become available at some point.

Philippo

I guess everybody tried to win Speed Star quests by cheating with Overclock, well a friend of mine went with the most asshole way by pumping stun chips and hacking the hell out of it lol

Top Bottom