• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

JackelZXA

Can't change the minigame, but you can equip chips to improve the results of the hacking. Don't sleep on 9S's moveset either, it's awkward coming from 2B but it's not weak.

Yeah, 9S's Spear Throw (Hold Square) is really powerful since you can use the move quickly, and I find using Blades is more useful with 9S than with 2B. I really like giving him the Hammer Pod Program as well as it pairs well with his Spear Throw. Using Gravity to draw enemies together before Hacking is also very powerful as the aoe explosion and effects can wipe out entire groups in one go. His game is much shorter because you spend less time in combat and boss fights are very different because he just hacks them to death, rather than having to fight them normally, for the most part. You also don't have to replay 2B's entire campaign, as the two playthroughs have a major shift after the battle at the flooded ruins. 9S spends the back half of his campaign doing some very important stuff, since if you remember he and 2B split up for the last several parts of the campaign, and only truly rejoin at the end of the first half of the game.

Melchior

Finished Ending E finally.
Easily top 3 games all time for me. Also I deleted my save to help. I didn't want to cheese it and copy paste my save.
Playing on a brand new fresh profile is really nice. Having a blast playing through it again. There are a lot of little dialogue that makes you go "oh hey I get it" with all the knowledge now. Going to go for 100% now.

haikira

Have two friends who've properly completed both the original Nier, as well as Automata.

When asking them if playing the original game is required, I'm getting pretty conflicting answers. One is saying i'll miss out on some little nods to the original, but other than that it's completely it's own thing, and my experience wouldn't be hurt by skipping the first. However, my other friend is saying the opposite, and that not playing the original would really damage the experience of playing Automata.

Was wondering what you guys think? I was thinking of picking Automata up tomorrow, but now I'm not sure.

I don't mind missing out on inside jokes, and little nods, but if it's anything more substantial than that, and any of the story relies on knowing the original then I wouldn't want to skip it.

Weiss

Banned
There are definitely some moments where knowledge of the original helps.

Otherwise I think the rest of the game is completely fine on its own.

Frimaire

wIBqOgx.png

Finished Ending E finally.
Easily top 3 games all time for me. Also I deleted my save to help. I didn't want to cheese it and copy paste my save.
Playing on a brand new fresh profile is really nice. Having a blast playing through it again. There are a lot of little dialogue that makes you go "oh hey I get it" with all the knowledge now. Going to go for 100% now.

Yep I'm about to start my next play through and get the platinum. I have to get the platinum for my favorite game of all time. Sounds weird to say since its been Super Mario World for so many years.

Shahadan

Have two friends who've properly completed both the original Nier, as well as Automata.

When asking them if playing the original game is required, I'm getting pretty conflicting answers. One is saying i'll miss out on some little nods to the original, but other than that it's completely it's own thing, and my experience wouldn't be hurt by skipping the first. However, my other friend is saying the opposite, and that not playing the original would really damage the experience of playing Automata.

Was wondering what you guys think? I was thinking of picking Automata up tomorrow, but now I'm not sure.

I don't mind missing out on inside jokes, and little nods, but if it's anything more substantial than that, and any of the story relies on knowing the original then I wouldn't want to skip it.

It's really not required.
At worst just read the plot of the first Nier on wikipedia or somewhere and that'll be enough to get some nods in Automata, even if the emotional attachment will be obviously lost on you, but that's not a big deal.

Note that there is a youtube video called Nier the Movie with all cutscenes from the first game but that's 4 hour long.

Astrael

I'm going to vote with your first friend: I never played the original NieR (only knew of the basic premise and a few characters from the art book, plus the amazing music) but I still considered Automata a masterpiece. Of course, now that I love Automata so much all I've been doing is going back through videos and write-ups of the earlier games in the series to see what else I can learn :)

But yeah, I wouldn't feel obligated to have played NieR first, easy to enjoy the story on its own.

I'm going to vote with your first friend: I never played the original NieR (only knew of the basic premise and a few characters from the art book, plus the amazing music) but I still considered Automata a masterpiece. Of course, now that I love Automata so much all I've been doing is going back through videos and write-ups of the earlier games in the series to see what else I can learn :)
To anyone else who is interested in learning about the previous games I recommend this written/screenshots LP (as well as the Drakengard ones, for that matter).

In addition to missing out on some backstory and emotional moments, Nier is a classic of the medium. Unless the gameplay is completely unbearable or you don't have a ps3/360, there's no good reason to skip it.

At the bare minimum, I would read the LP that sackboy2197 linked.

Astrael

To anyone else who is interested in learning about the previous games I recommend this written/screenshots LP (as well as the Drakengard ones, for that matter).

Adding this to my reading this weekend, I like the writing style already, thanks for the link :)

In addition to missing out on some backstory and emotional moments, Nier is a classic of the medium. Unless the gameplay is completely unbearable or you don't have a ps3/360, there's no good reason to skip it.

I am still kicking myself for not buying NieR last year when it was down to under $15 for PS3, was really interested in it after finding a few Japanese DJs mixing some of its music. Definitely plan on adding it and Drakengard 3 to my library as soon as I can.

Dunan

Emergency question, GAF:

I was exploring the ruined city and got stuck. The map doesn't give directions, but if the resistance camp is 8 o'clock and the amusement park (where I need to go next) is at 6 o'clock, then this part is at 4 o'clock.

Jumping around on the edges of a cliff, looking for a way past a wall, I found an elevator that leads into a deep crevasse. Went down there and somehow, miraculously, took out an army of level 25-28 robots while at level 10 myself. At one end there's a pair of waterfalls and at the other end there's a block that seems to be something you push from the other end.

I can go back to the elevator and ride it back up again, but there's nowhere to go up there.

Am I stuck? Please tell me I'm not and that I'm missing something simple!

Hooooly crap I just realized... (Route B/C)
If 9S told 2B what he found out, she'd have to kill him. That hesitation saved his life :eek:

Emergency question, GAF:

Just start jumping up onto rocks that look climbable. You'll be fine.

Adding this to my reading this weekend, I like the writing style already, thanks for the link :)
If you like the way he writes, I would suggest reading the Drakengard LP before Nier then (if you have the time I mean). Or at least the ending of Drakengard, just to see how the two are linked.

Rixxan

I just started - went to that Desert area - having fun - loving the chip and fusing system

Question: Am I not supposed to be able to open these big chests? It's frustrating seeing that I can't but I assume I need to unlock something

Emergency question, GAF:

I was exploring the ruined city and got stuck. The map doesn't give directions, but if the resistance camp is 8 o'clock and the amusement park (where I need to go next) is at 6 o'clock, then this part is at 4 o'clock.

Jumping around on the edges of a cliff, looking for a way past a wall, I found an elevator that leads into a deep crevasse. Went down there and somehow, miraculously, took out an army of level 25-28 robots while at level 10 myself. At one end there's a pair of waterfalls and at the other end there's a block that seems to be something you push from the other end.

I can go back to the elevator and ride it back up again, but there's nowhere to go up there.

You aren't stuck. Out of the elevator go right I believe, then follow the path around left. There will be a lot of jumping.

Dunan

You aren't stuck. Out of the elevator go right I believe, then follow the path around left. There will be a lot of jumping.

Is this on the upper path? I can go as far as a giant waterfall, and from there my path is blocked. I tried jumping to behind that waterfall, and it let me gat through, but there was nowhere to land. Miraculously, my pod carried me through the air and I landed all the way at the bottom, hurt but not critically. Is there something (like an exit) back there or am I in the wrong place entirely?

Edit: Did it! You have to jump in the same direction the path takes you; there is another path on the other side. It took me four tries to time the double jump right, and two of those times I was left with 1 HP when landing at the bottom (the other two, for some reason, my pod carried me to the bottom). That was tough but I'm glad I'm out of it. Thanks for the help!

Astrael

Is this on the upper path? I can go as far as a giant waterfall, and from there my path is blocked. I tried jumping to behind that waterfall, and it let me gat through, but there was nowhere to land. Miraculously, my pod carried me through the air and I landed all the way at the bottom, hurt but not critically. Is there something (like an exit) back there or am I in the wrong place entirely?

On the upper path you have to do a long jump through the waterfall to the next platform on the other side. Just jump straight ahead as if the waterfall wasn't there (ie, don't aim into the wall) you'll see the ledge once you get past the water. I got stuck here the first time too haha. The lower path won't open yet so you aren't missing anything there.

Baalzebup

You just basically straight across, through the waterfall and beyond it. It won't knock you down or anything. If you attempt to jump behind the waterfall, it means you're angling left and will end up in impassable terrain that will make you fall back down. You'll want to go straight ahead instead. If you stop near the edge, you can even see the area you want to reach on the other side of the waterfall.
Edit: Did it! You have to jump in the same direction the path takes you; there is another path on the other side. It took me four tries to time the double jump right, and two of those times I was left with 1 HP when landing at the bottom (the other two, for some reason, my pod carried me to the bottom). That was tough but I'm glad I'm out of it. Thanks for the help!
For some reason? It is gliding, part of the basic set of tools the game gives for platforming. Keep the jump button pressed after a jump (works after a double jump as well) and your character will glide until you release the button.

Rixxan

Okay wow

I got to the
amusement park
and I just fought a boss that was wearing a
metal dress

That was so so so fucking awesome

What a fight!

BumRush

Just finished Horizon and was going to jump in on ME but I feel like there are big patches coming first...so Automata it is!!

Reading through this OT, I'm pretty damn excited. If anyone in here beat it and wants to do a one to one swap with horizon, p.m. me.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dude hacking lock on is the absolute worst. You basically have to be running at an enemy and no further than 10 ft. away. Other than that I really don't mind hacking but it's just such a chore to actually get the hack to connect.

Does this game have a new game+? And if so does it actually change anything(no spoilers if it does pls:D) or do you just get to keep your lvls etc?

cm osi

Sändersson;233169017 said:
Does this game have a new game+? And if so does it actually change anything(no spoilers if it does pls:D) or do you just get to keep your lvls etc?

it doesn't have a new game + but this game has 3 routes to go through. it's pretty straightforward, nothing complicate that you can miss. just don't close the game when you see the credits

Baalzebup

Sändersson;233169017 said:
The concept of traditional NG+ isn't quite it, but there is quite a bit to do after you've reached the credits. Like, you're about one third into the main story content of the game by that point. You'll eventually gain the ability to jump to various parts of the story at will and will keep all the progress you've accrued on that save file. Just about the only traditional NG+ feature that you can't get is repeating side quests, which will remain completed on the save file no matter what you do.

There is some repetition on what we call route B, but it will also include plenty of new stuff and there is plenty of new content beyond it.

Astral

If it wasn't for Persona coming out so soon I'd have started the game over from scratch. Replaying the game on NG+ is way too easy even on Hard. I can barely listen to the awesome soundtrack against the bosses because they die in a second.

it doesn't have a new game + but this game has 3 routes to go through. it's pretty straightforward, nothing complicate that you can miss. just don't close the game when you see the credits

Wait what. I skipped out on the credits on my Route A playthrough

As an aside,

Anybody have the song title for the jam that plays near the end
during the cult sequence

hawk2025

Just checking:

I don't need to be concerned at all about permanently missing content/side quests before beating the first route, yes?

Top Bottom