• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Gbraga

I'd say don't worry about side quests until you get fast travel. It'll make them more bareable.

The world is so small, though, and traversal is so smooth with fast movement and even the mounts. I almost don't use fast travel.

In my opinion you should skip ALL sidequests. Seriously.

On my first runthrough, I did ALL sidequests asap, which resulted in me being totally overleveled for wanting to beat Papa Servo, I was level 55, where I should actually be around 15. I ruined the entire main story for me.

Which is why I gave up my save and did it all over again.

I started to change the difficulty on boss fights. Worked very well. I still did a ton of damage, but I actually had to be careful because so did the enemy. The last few boss fights were awesome. I can't wait to unlock chapter select to redo the ones I did on Normal.

I'd rather be way overleveled and nerf the numbers by wielding sub-bar weapons like the cypress stick than miss out on all the good stuff loaded into the narrative of the quests, be it the serious stuff or the jokes. Plus later Servo quests and a few others are a clear outlier as the enemy levels themselves make it pretty clear you are supposed to do them later. You don't get to lv. 55 during route A without significant grinding.

Yeah, I did almost everything I could and finished it on level 39 or 40.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Finished Route B. Almost a complete waste of time IMO, kinda soured me on the whole game. What I've played of C has been very good though, but I am still annoyed I had to suffer through that.

Suffer through what? You have a bunch of new mechanics to play with, new quests, new loot to find, loads of new cut-scenes, and around 1/3rd of the route is new content.

The world is so small, though, and traversal is so smooth with fast movement and even the mounts. I almost don't use fast travel.
Despite this game being far better to just run around than 90% of open world games, its still no Infamous second son or saints row 4. Fast travel makes things like the Jean-Paul quest much better.

Ferrio

Banned

If all the zone were like the city ruins I'd agree, but outside of that traversal stinks. Those landscapes just weren't varied enough to keep traversal fun after 15+ hours. Stuff like the desert, factory, etc is just dashing constantly.

Gbraga

Despite this game being far better to just run around than 90% of open world games, its still no Infamous second son or saints row 4. Fast travel makes things like the Jean-Paul quest much better.

You don't have to exclusively do that, though. You could wait until you have a couple of objectives on the same area. Fast Travel will only make you stare at the non skippable loading text a bunch of times for that quest. I enjoyed doing that quest at my own pace before unlocking fast travel.

But I do understand I'm in the minority, everyone seems to agree that it's better to wait.

If all the zone were like the city ruins I'd agree, but outside of that traversal stinks. Those landscapes just weren't varied enough to keep traversal fun after 15+ hours. Stuff like the desert, factory, etc is just dashing constantly.

The desert I agree, it's the only one I used fast travel. But even then I'm glad I visited it a few times before unlocking it. Some very neat things to find there.

I'm like 36 hours in and I still don't mind it.

Suffer through what? You have a bunch of new mechanics to play with, new quests, new loot to find, loads of new cut-scenes, and around 1/3rd of the route is new content.

Now let's be real here, a majority of the new content, the entire second half of Route B essentially, consists of nothing but
very basic hacking challenges.

You don't have to exclusively do that, though. You could wait until you have a couple of objectives on the same area. Fast Travel will only make you stare at the non skippable loading text a bunch of times for that quest. I enjoyed doing that quest at my own pace before unlocking fast travel.
It loads fast on PC

muteki

I do wish on my first playthrough that I didn't spend as much time dicking around doing side quests that I couldn't complete at that level/story progress. Ran across a few that I could start and make progress in, then couldn't get to the next point on the map or they disappeared or something.

I've spent some time doing side quests, and added a +50 damage modifier chip. Now, I'm at the Flooded City and either I'm doing pitiful damage or the enemies are complete damage sponges. I'm fighting this big thing and a standard robot who is only waving his arms around. I do 150-600 damage or so, but it's still taking forever. Is it really supposed to be like this?

Baalzebup

I've spent some time doing side quests, and added a +50 damage modifier chip. Now, I'm at the Flooded City and either I'm doing pitiful damage or the enemies are complete damage sponges. I'm fighting this big thing and a standard robot who is only waving his arms around. I do 150-600 damage or so, but it's still taking forever. Is it really supposed to be like this?
Do they happen to be gold colored? Cuz those ain't your average enemies by a long short.

LotusHD

Banned
In my opinion you should skip ALL sidequests. Seriously.

Nah...

This is a good list in terms of recommendations for starters.

If someone wants to skip them, then they can do what they want I guess, but I'll never recommend them to do it lol

Now let's be real here, a majority of the new content, the entire second half of Route B essentially, consists of nothing but
very basic hacking challenges.

Pretty reductive way to put it, considering we get additional story beats and such

I need help with path C.

I did A2's path to completion. Now I'm doing 9S's stuff I'm basically out of quests and there's no objectives. The only quest left is Reconnaissance Squad. Where do I go. What do I do?

muteki

I ran into them and after seeing how much damage I was doing just kept walking. They aren't indicative of the standard enemies around that area.

Dartastic

Finished Route A last week. I started some of route B, but like... I just don't think it's holding enough of my attention. I put it down and started Horizon finally. I'm really glad I did that. Maybe I'll pick this back up.

fucking hell I have had to replay that intro for like 5 times now, a few crashes and the one time I got to the final boss I got stuck

whoever thought that no saving or checkpoints was a good idea should be fired

Neufr0

Neo Member
Hey guys I'm looking for nice looking SFW phone wallpapers of Automata.Anyone knows where to look ?
It can contain spoilers I finished all 5 endings.

What a game. Personnaly I think it's a huge improvement of the original.

that is a side quest

i hate myself enough to beat all
three of those groups
on route A

AHA-Lambda

Nearing the end of Route C now.

Just want to check though, after ending E everything else is more of a joke/gag/what if ending right?
So, is Ending Y worth all the extra effort that goes into it?

Moaradin

Nearing the end of Route C now.

Just want to check though, after ending E everything else is more of a joke/gag/what if ending right?
So, is Ending Y worth all the extra effort that goes into it?

I think it is if you're familiar with the first Nier. Gives some nice closure.

Hey guys I'm looking for nice looking SFW phone wallpapers of Automata.Anyone knows where to look ?
It can contain spoilers I finished all 5 endings.

What a game. Personnaly I think it's a huge improvement of the original.

Here's the one I've been using for a while. I used this one earlier though (I honestly don't know if it's spoilery, I'm pretty sure it was drawn before the game came out though).

just started playing over the weekend. i find myself fiddling with the camera options menu. anyone have a good setup they can recommend?

Gbraga

Ending Y is a joke ending, but you can only get it during a quest which is what I'm ultimately talking about here.

I've never been so scared of clicking a spoiler tag before.

I see, so I should reach it naturally if I'm going for all side quests.

Got to route C, satisfied with the way things have changed up! Spoilers ahead!

I think I accidentally chose route D though, since I thought the choice was between which pod would accompany A2, not which Android I'd play as, oh well. Though 9S' extended journey is much more interesting already than route B for obvious reasons. If A2 only gets route C that'd be too bad since I'd hope there's more of her story (I expect 2B gets route E, but considering their two play styles are apparently very similar, I guess it's alright if A2 only gets one route).

WARNING!! More specific story spoilers (including a little bit about Nier 1):

I'm glad that the way that the shit totally hit the fan was not what I expected, while there's still something fishy about the server being infected so the origin of the virus is probably somehow connected to Yorha, I didn't expect this twist. It's funny how I was about 70% sure of the big twist near the end of route B though, since I knew something about Replicants and Gestalts before going back to finish Nier route A. I wish I hadn't been spoiled on that detail, but going back to Nier was still something I'm glad to have done, it's a great game and a really special story.

On a side-note (don't read if you haven't played Nier 1), even though it'd be hard for people to take, it's too bad that Devola and Popola didn't just explain everything to the Replicants as soon as they started gaining independence, maybe they did try and it didn't work, but I feel like some they had so much control of their life cycle that they should have tried raising them all in a Yorha like society, while there'd be problems, I don't think Nier would have done what he'd done if he knew what was going on from birth. Can't blame him really, since the Gestalts treated Replicants as completely disposable.

Is there any other reason for me to go back to Nier endings B through D now? Is there a big connection that requires knowledge of the rest of the first Nier? I really would like to go back, but I'm so low on free time that I'm trying to prioritize finish Automata as quickly as possible so I can be surprised by the twists unlike in Nier. Please let me know.

Thanks to you guys I got ending
C+D. I can't believe I missed the entrance to the tower like that. What a dumb ass. First of all, how many games have the guts to just kill off their main character, let alone have you spend at least half the game NOT playing them. Path A+B really do feel like a prologue to the whole thing. I think Pascal is the most heartbreaking thing in this entire game. This game fucked me up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got to route C, satisfied with the way things have changed up! Spoilers ahead!

I think I accidentally chose route D though, since I thought the choice was between which pod would accompany A2, not which Android I'd play as, oh well. Though 9S' extended journey is much more interesting already than route B for obvious reasons. If A2 only gets route C that'd be too bad since I'd hope there's more of her story (I expect 2B gets route E, but considering their two play styles are apparently very similar, I guess it's alright if A2 only gets one route).

WARNING!! More specific story spoilers (including a little bit about Nier 1):

I'm glad that the way that the shit totally hit the fan was not what I expected, while there's still something fishy about the server being infected so the origin of the virus is probably somehow connected to Yorha, I didn't expect this twist. It's funny how I was about 70% sure of the big twist near the end of route B though, since I knew something about Replicants and Gestalts before going back to finish Nier route A. I wish I hadn't been spoiled on that detail, but going back to Nier was still something I'm glad to have done, it's a great game and a really special story.

On a side-note (don't read if you haven't played Nier 1), even though it'd be hard for people to take, it's too bad that Devola and Popola didn't just explain everything to the Replicants as soon as they started gaining independence, maybe they did try and it didn't work, but I feel like some they had so much control of their life cycle that they should have tried raising them all in a Yorha like society, while there'd be problems, I don't think Nier would have done what he'd done if he knew what was going on from birth. Can't blame him really, since the Gestalts treated Replicants as completely disposable.

Is there any other reason for me to go back to Nier endings B through D now? Is there a big connection that requires knowledge of the rest of the first Nier? I really would like to go back, but I'm so low on free time that I'm trying to prioritize finish Automata as quickly as possible so I can be surprised by the twists unlike in Nier. Please let me know.

Chapter select

Completed C. That
entire elevator sequence
. Is probably the best bit of gaming I have experienced in a very long time. Like holy shit?! Pretty much exactly how they should've approached A+B instead of splitting the routes.

Damn. Really hard to rate the game now. I loved A until
Adam and Eve.
They weren't very fun to fight, their motivations were paper thin and their dialougue just didn't work for me. So maybe an 8/10.

B is pretty awful,
I am not a person who can take doing the same stuff again for no good reason. Hacking minigame is a minigame, it isn't deep or difficult or partcularly exciting, so the idea to force you to do the entire game again focused on that was absurd.
6/10 at best.

C is 10/10 top tier, GOTY material.
A2 is a bit too typical tsundere for my tastes
but otherwise everything comes together in this route. Plenty of fun combat scenarios, plenty of plot reveals, plenty of sad thoughtful moments, plenty of human feelings and emotions.

I think if the game had been A+C it would be a straight 10/10 but B is a broken down machine dragging the game down.

8/10

LotusHD

Banned
Completed C. That
entire elevator sequence
. Is probably the best bit of gaming I have experienced in a very long time. Like holy shit?! Pretty much exactly how they should've approached A+B instead of splitting the routes.

Damn. Really hard to rate the game now. I loved A until
Adam and Eve.
They weren't very fun to fight, their motivations were paper thin and their dialougue just didn't work for me. So maybe an 8/10.

B is pretty awful,
I am not a person who can take doing the same stuff again for no good reason. Hacking minigame is a minigame, it isn't deep or difficult or partcularly exciting, so the idea to force you to do the entire game again focused on that was absurd.
6/10 at best.

C is 10/10 top tier, GOTY material.
A2 is a bit too typical tsundere for my tastes
but otherwise everything comes together in this route. Plenty of fun combat scenarios, plenty of plot reveals, plenty of sad thoughtful moments, plenty of human feelings and emotions.

I think if the game had been A+C it would be a straight 10/10 but B is a broken down machine dragging the game down.

8/10

Attention, you
still have routes D and E to go through. Get Ending D through chapter select, and pick the other character to play as during the climax of Route C. Ending E will come naturally afterwards. Also, Adam and Eve aren't meant to be thought of as the main antagonists.

im on route C

what in the fucking shit is going on

Stuff.

I'm confused about what "fast travel" is supposed to be, because right after
visiting Pascal's friendly machine town for the first time which is very early in the game, it unlocked the possibility to teleport from the quick save/mail spots to several points on the map which I can choose from a drop down menu.
I thought that this was supposed to happen way later in the game.
Is that it or are you guys talking about something else?
Just a "yes" or "no" is enough.

Nah...

This is a good list in terms of recommendations for starters.

If someone wants to skip them, then they can do what they want I guess, but I'll never recommend them to do it lol
Thanks for the list. This will make it easier to choose what to go for.

Philippo

All weapons upgraded trophy done, whew those were a couple of grindy hours!

Tomorrow is secret boss 2, ending E and then platinum, just before P5 ships.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just beat the game for the first time. Loved a lot about it but must say the story was barely there and it felt very random and not the best way. Still I realize this will probably change as I play the next couple run throughs but not the best "first" impression. Music, combat and the like were excellent. I also felt the game really did not need to be open world as it added little to nothing to the mix and often just involved a lot of back tracking for side quests.

gngf123

Not feeling route B so far honestly.
The hacking minigame was great when it was first introduced but it feels like it is getting old really quickly.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That's not really beating the game though. Really you just done act 1.

I realize that but I also spent like 15 hours if not more on the first play through and it wasn't what I'd call riveting or all that interesting.

Ghazi

Not feeling route B so far honestly.
The hacking minigame was great when it was first introduced but it feels like it is getting old really quickly.

Fortunately it goes by extremely quickly if you did all the sidequests in route A. I figured it would be an absolute chore, but it isn't that bothersome.

Top Bottom