• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Ferrio

Banned
I think we need to stop misusing the term "Open world". People have certain expectations when it's said, and marketing this game as open world is wrong. It's like saying FFX had an open world.

Curufinwe

Post-game non story spoiler question.

Has there ever been a game that let you buy trophies with in game currency?

I just went from 58% to 100% trophies in five minutes using the strange woman's trophy shop at the Resistance camp.

gngf123

Post-game non story spoiler question.

Has there ever been a game that let you buy trophies with in game currency?

I just went from 58% to 100% trophies in five minutes using the strange woman's trophy shop at the Resistance camp.

As far as I know this is the first.

It's actually been the source of an argument I've had with someone I know. I can't see much of a problem with it but he absolutely hates that it is a thing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
And what if I only did a handful of sidequests?

I mean if you want to do them do them. They add cool flavour and some of them hold some really heavy implications that will be revealed to you once you know everything that's going on but the main story itself is fine too mainline.

I'll just say this though. There's a sidequest late game. Do that one of you did
Emil's memories.

LotusHD

Banned
I think we need to stop misusing the term "Open world". People have certain expectations when it's said, and marketing this game as open world is wrong. It's like saying FFX had an open world.

I like the comparison to OoT's world. Bunch of interconnected areas that open up and/or have story beats to go to when the story is ready for you to go there.

My God, Route C.

Question about a story-related mechanic at the start of Route C though:
Does it do anything if I send the pods to the opposite person? Like, if I send 042 with 9S, does that do something story-wise, or is that not what actually happens?

Ferrio

Banned
My God, Route C.

Does it do anything if I send the pods to the opposite person? Like, if I send 042 with 9S, does that do something story-wise, or is that not what actually happens?

Nothing complex like that, you're just picking who you want to play as. You can't mess up.

LotusHD

Banned
My God, Route C.

Nothing like that happens, but I would recommend that you stick with A2 until they force you to play as 9S.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I mean if you want to do them do them. They add cool flavour and some of them hold some really heavy implications that will be revealed to you once you know everything that's going on but the main story itself is fine too mainline.

I'll just say this though. There's a sidequest late game. Do that one of you did
Emil's memories.

I didn't. Was that a bad move?

Nothing complex like that, you're just picking who you want to play as. You can't mess up.
Nothing like that happens, but I would recommend that you stick with A2 until they force you to play as 9S.
Cool, thanks. I already
started the first 9S segment after completing the first A2 one, but I'll stick with A2 as long as I can after I finish his first segment.

I think there's some unfortunate meaning/weight attached to the names of certain things which might lead to people taking Taro's naming conventions and dampening their experience.

Like I'd never put an ending at the end of Route A or B, leading you to believe that it is on it's own a self-contained story and that that's all there is for that.

I think it sets up incorrect expectations.

I'd say don't worry about side quests until you get fast travel. It'll make them more bareable.

I have fast travel now, but after reading everything above, I'll probably do more side quests on route B then. Because I'm at the
Resistance Camp during the Robot Invasion where they are eating everyone.
, so I'm assuming I'm basically at the end. I've done about 20% of the side quests so far? So I haven't skimped out too hard yet.

HStallion

I mean it's just a really cool (well, cool is the wrong word for it, but you get what I mean) scene that adds more emotional weight to the story, but you don't need to see it.

I would have done it but I didn't realize there was a point of no return and I wasn't able to do any more side quests.

True Fire

I think there's some unfortunate meaning/weight attached to the names of certain things which might lead to people taking Taro's naming conventions and dampening their experience.

Like I'd never put an ending at the end of Route A or B, leading you to believe that it is on it's own a self-contained story and that that's all there is for that.

I think it sets up incorrect expectations.

Yoko Taro uses the credit sequences and opening sequences as storytelling devices. I think it's quite clever. Only Yoko Taro would jeopardize his own game for the sake of art.

Yoko Taro uses the credit sequences and opening sequences as storytelling devices. I think it's quite clever. Only Yoko Taro would jeopardize his own game for the sake of art.

I mean, I didn't care. But I can see complaints coming in about this game and certain common patterns emerge.

HStallion

Nothing is permanently missable.

I meant on the first playthrough. I actually did most of the side missions but the ones where you had to go out of your way for I didn't get to. Not a big deal. If I can do it later that works for me.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean, I didn't care. But I can see complaints coming in about this game and certain common patterns emerge.

It comes off as a little weird to me now that I've played through to it. Route B starts in a way where you can't help but want to know how things will differ. And before that, there's a message outright telling you to continue the game.Then of course, we all know how Route C draws people in lol

It's like, I get why they think it'd end, but seriously...

Whales

Banned
It comes off as a little weird to me now that I've played through to it. Route B starts in a way where you can't help but want to know how things will differ. And before that, there's a message outright telling you to continue the game.Then of course, we all know how Route C draws people in lol

It's like, I get why they think it'd end, but seriously...

I agree with you, I was playing through B trying to understand everything that was different

Ultimately it wasn't very much but it still gave some interesting insights

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Route B was a mistake it's nothing but padding.

Mik317

Route B was "fine" for me because I missed a lot of sidequests due to running into main missions by mistake and shit getting real. So the second time through I had a lot of "new" content to see.

but yeah its a bit of a weird choice

LotusHD

Banned
Route B was a mistake it's nothing but padding.

Sure.

Route B was "fine" for me because I missed a lot of sidequests due to running into main missions by mistake and shit getting real. So the second time through I had a lot of "new" content to see.

but yeah its a bit of a weird choice

Heh, same thing happened to me. I used that Route as the one where I'd go and get some sidequests completed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, B only felt padded from the
machine village
to the
leviathan
which isn't really that long. The rest you get a much different perspective and just different stuff.

To say it's all padding is hyperbolic.

Moaradin

I enjoyed Route B a lot. I pretty much did all the sidequest I could in Route A, so I didn't spend that much time doing any repeated content. I thought the new sidequest were substantial and added a lot to the game,
and the new scenes for added context made the repeated stuff fine for me. And with how the main mission splits off, I don't think you spend that much time doing repeated stuff to begin with.

Rixxan

I really like this game (about 75% through route B)

But I'm regretting not getting it on PC - a lot of the City / Forest / Desert area textures look pretty damn bad

Whales

Banned
they couldve maybe merged route A and B by
making route A have the little added custcenes, and making B start before the flooded city instead of at the start, as this is where the game starts splitting between 9s and 2B

but I say the way it is in the game right now is better than that. Also it allows you to do sidequests you missed

for example I pretty much mainlined route A, and did all of the sidequests I could on B, which added a lot to the route

LotusHD

Banned
making route A have the little added custcenes, and making B start before the flooded city instead of at the start, as this is where the game starts splitting between 9s and 2B

but I say the way it is in the game right now is better than that. Also it allows you to do sidequests you missed

for example I pretty much mainlined route A, and did all of the sidequests I could on B, which added a lot to the route

I feel like that would be missing the point, because then people would be wondering why they should care about these robots/bosses they literally just met. It would basically be information overload to do it that way imo

While the second playthrough has you go through what you just experienced, but then is when it chooses to lay on the additional background behind each robot, and you get a better insight to their mindset. If people think it doesn't land effectively in Route B, that's one thing, but I definitely don't think it would if it was all pressed into one playthrough.

Samikaze

I dunno. Normally I'd agree, but seeing it all from 9S's perspective is pretty important. Hearing how quiet and distant 2B is jarring at first. It's reminiscent of the ending scene of TLoU where you play as Ellie and hear Joel yammer on and on about Sarah.

Rainy

Banned
That part in Route C
where you have to protect 2B and the other Yorha soldiers are they are attacked by the EMP is so annoying. Like the fight is cool in that the machines can jam different sensors...but jesus took me forever. Doesn't help that I don't really enjoy playing with 9S that much.

JCG

Route B did nothing wrong

#FreeRouteB

Not going to lie, I was expecting far more repetition than what was actually in the route. I would say they found a decent balance and it didn't take me too much time to finish Route B.

There's a fair chunk of identical content but the added scenes, exclusive side quests and new conversations were interesting. I also kind of got into
the hacking mini-game (including taking control of enemies and messing around). Simple yet strangely addicting.

That said, I am barely an hour or two into Route C and...well, it's a significant upgrade.
I was thinking bad things would happen to 9S after Route B, but I wasn't quite ready for everything to go wrong so quickly.

HStallion

Ok things are definitly getting interesting with Route B and I'm not very far in. With how this is already play out I'm actually even more curious as to what future play throughs look like. Also I have to laugh at some of the "alternate" endings. Are there going to be
1 for every letter of he Alphabet?

LotusHD

Banned
Ok things are definitly getting interesting with Route B and I'm not very far in. With how this is already play out I'm actually even more curious as to what future play throughs look like. Also I have to laugh at some of the "alternate" endings. Are there going to be
1 for every letter of he Alphabet?

Yes, one for each letter.

Rixxan

Started route C

This game is starting to click for me - I've enjoyed my time with it but I wasn't in love - muddled textures and pretty sparse portions of the world (coming from horizon doesn't help) were a legitimate negative - same with the oddly incomplete story (quickly learned that routes solve this) and the entire package coming together is kind of allowing me to see the forest through the trees

Starting to fall in love

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The problem with B being as repetitive as it is is that it keeps players from going to the real climax of the game in C. A lot of people liked A, but some didn't. A lot of people who liked A didn't like B, and the ones who didn't like A would like B even less, assuming they ever get there. However pretty much everyone that gets to C loves C. B keeps players that were on the fence about A from getting to C.

I agree B is kind of necessary to Yoko's vision but I still think it's a major weakness of the setup. It needed to be compressed somehow. Maybe with a pseudo chapter select system.

Top Bottom