• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

In route A, or never beaten the game yet. I just had to
get to the interesting part when the machines start attacking the the resistance base and pascal base.
wish I could continue but got to go to university soon :(

Gbraga

Man, hacking for the Speed Star quests sounds brilliant. I love this kind of creative solution for quests.

I can't wait to get home and play some more. :'(

Jintor

the most difficult part of speed star is starting the fucking quest because trying to talk to that asshole is tricky.

i fell off that overpass like twenty times

killatopak

Gold Member
I can't seem to hack
the rabbit machine to start the battle. I can attack him enough times and start the fight but it takes a while. Tried with machines present and not and even hacking while controlling another machine. Trying to max my level before fighting emil.

Exentryk

I can't seem to hack
the rabbit machine to start the battle. I can attack him enough times and start the fight but it takes a while. Tried with machines present and not and even hacking while controlling another machine. Trying to max my level before fighting emil.

I was reading some people had trouble doing this with 1.06 patch? Not sure.
Use some taunt chips, and then attack him to wake him up quicker.

ys45

Finished B ending over the weekend.

Not too surprised at the
humans extinction revelation
since I played the first Nier.
I'm at the part where you
play as A2
and for some reason, I was not too shocked at the
Death of 2B

Soooo with all the comments I saw about C route, I hope I did not get my expectations too high for the big surprise/twist :p
I am currently doing
Pascal village quests with A2

Oh, and I did
Emil
quest with the
Lunar Tear flowers
this part got me right in the feels especially when you know the character's background story.

OniBaka

Finished B ending over the weekend.

Not too surprised at the
humans extinction revelation
since I played the first Nier.
I'm at the part where you
play as A2
and for some reason, I was not too shocked at the
Death of 2B

Soooo with all the comments I saw about C route, I hope I did not get my expectations too high for the big surprise/twist :p
I am currently doing
Pascal village quests with A2

Oh, and I did
Emil
quest with the
Lunar Tear flowers
this part got me right in the feels especially when you know the character's background story.
You should had listened to yoko taro and not expect much from this game.

Gbraga

I need to play more, find out more stuff, anything, any hints. Eve is driving me crazy.

Playing Drakengard 3 right before this one only adds to the madness. Goddamn Yoko Taro. I'm gonna have to wait for the new book thing, right?

Ditto. I just pumped my speed and dodge via chips and got my game on. Didn't even need a salve at the end, though I did have to repeat latter sections quite a few times.
I didnt even know there was a way to cheese it. 20% movement speed and some amount of increased evasion distance and I beat it first try. Just gotta do well jumping off that first building. A good spin kick and a pod jump instead of gliding the whole way down.

OmegaX0

I accidentally found a glitch for Speed Star and did the final race that way after failing a few times. If you get on an animal right before it fades to black to start the race you won't get teleported to the starting line, you just stay where you are. So if you lose once you can just park a moose at the finish line and immediately win.

Still fairly early in the game (route A) and am getting the "peace parade" (sidequest) wiped out because I can't kill the attackers fast enough.
Guess it's time for some plugin and weapon upgrades. Can I easily find the ingredients for weapon upgrades by using quest markers?

ys45

You should had listened to yoko taro and not expect much from this game.

lol , that's actually what I liked about this game I was not expecting much and when I played the demo I was blown away and still am.

No matter what happens in those endings, this game is going to my GOTY list

ys45

Still fairly early in the game (route A) and am getting the "peace parade" (sidequest) wiped out because I can't kill the attackers fast enough.
Guess it's time for some plugin and weapon upgrades. Can I easily find the ingredients for weapon upgrades by using quest markers?

I did this quest at lvl 50 lol, on B route it's actually pretty hard to keep the parade alive.
What I did is went ahead of the parade to kill attackers before they got to them but things get crazy later on and I actually ended up with only one machine alive with a sliver of life left lol .

And the bad news is
It's a chain quest -_-

So no chance that I'll be able to complete this quest early in the game or do the enemies also get stronger later on?
I only intend to do a couple of sidequests before continuing with the main story.
Not sure what that spoiler is about, so I rather stay away from it. :D

ys45

So no chance that I'll be able to complete this quest early in the game or do the enemies also get stronger later on?
I only intend to do a couple of sidequests before continuing with the main story.
Not sure what that spoiler is about, so I rather stay away from it. :D

The lvl of enemies are fixed .

ced

Finished one playthrough.

Game was great, and it's been a long time since I played Nier, but this one did feel very short on content. By that I mean not very many dungeons etc.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I'm guessing I'm probably a decent amount of the way into the game as I
just cleared out the crazy cult of robots with Pascal that were living under the factory level you start the game out on.
Curious how far I am in my first play through. Really enjoying it but I admit the story has been a little hollow so far, lots of cool characters, interesting plot elements but not a lot seems to be driving things so far. I do know more is often revealed on later play throughs.

Hektor

So I'm guessing I'm probably a decent amount of the way into the game as I
just cleared out the crazy cult of robots with Pascal that were living under the factory level you start the game out on.
Curious how far I am in my first play through. Really enjoying it but I admit the story has been a little hollow so far, lots of cool characters, interesting plot elements but not a lot seems to be driving things so far. I do know more is often revealed on later play throughs.

Roughly 90% into A

HStallion

Roughly 90% into A

Oh wow I didn't realize I was that far in already. Makes sense as I was grinding my way pretty hard through the game over the weekend. So then let me ask
, do more side quests and other elements open up on later play throughs? Seems like I've done nearly all of the ones I currently have except taking out the Lord of the Valley and the Martial Arts robot that keeps upgrading itself.

Hektor

I'm really looking forward to reading the spoiler thread. @_@

Relax, it's only 84 pages to read through

Oh wow I didn't realize I was that far in already. Makes sense as I was grinding my way pretty hard through the game over the weekend. So then let me ask
, do more side quests and other elements open up on later play throughs?

Not sure how much you want me to tell you, so i'm only going with a "yes"

HStallion

Not sure how much you want me to tell you, so i'm only going with a "yes"

Nah that's enough. I've played other Yoko Taro games before including Nier so I was expecting that but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. Is there anything you can "miss" in terms of trophies that I should be wary of though?

Hektor

Nah that's enough. I've played other Yoko Taro games before including Nier so I was expecting that but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. Is there anything you can "miss" in terms of trophies that I should be wary of though?

Only one, rather minor thing is missable, but that's an endgame thing related to the optional
Ending Y

Trophies are all always obtainable

Only one, rather minor thing is missable, but that's an endgame thing related to the optional
Ending Y

Trophies are all always obtainable
I also read that one of the power up part S is missable for upgrading the pods. Not sure if true but (this isn't a spoiler but I'mma tag it anyway)
if you wipe out the golden enemies without getting a powerup part S as a drop, you will only be able to get 2 powerup part S, leaving one of your pods stuck at level 1

Blobbers

I can't stop thinking about this game and I wanna do a second full playthrough so hard but I can't because persona is a behemoth that'll take up the entire month.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I guess everybody tried to win Speed Star quests by cheating with Overclock, well a friend of mine went with the most asshole way by pumping stun chips and hacking the hell out of it lol

I did it legit

Ditto. I just pumped my speed and dodge via chips and got my game on. Didn't even need a salve at the end, though I did have to repeat latter sections quite a few times.

Also did it legit(well, equipping a couple Speed-Up chips). Still took a few attempts to get the route down properly and the final race came down to seemingly miliseconds, but I never used consumables or other strategies.

Philippo

If i fought
Emil
in Route B, do i have to do the other final boss in this run or can i go back to Route A and do it?

Also, best places to farm materials?

Ruff

Lol, I didn't even realize players you bring back to life can actually be hostile to you and become an enemy... Guess I missed that memo.

If i fought
Emil
in Route B, do i have to do the other final boss in this run or can i go back to Route A and do it?

Also, best places to farm materials?
you can do that one as any character

buy them, between these 5 shops you can get every upgrade material except simple gadget and power up parts

These shops contain definite spoilers
1) Emil near resistance camp. He sells high rarity machine pieces and some weapons
2) emil near the goliath. he sells machine pieces
3) pascal post memory wipe. He sells machine parts
4) bot at the amusement park. he sells gems and old world items
5) half-wit inventor. sells meteorite and meteorite shards

these shops inventories update as the game progresses, with ending E cleared they have basically everything, just missing the two I noted above

Jiraiza

I guess everybody tried to win Speed Star quests by cheating with Overclock, well a friend of mine went with the most asshole way by pumping stun chips and hacking the hell out of it lol

Only snails need to rely on those gimmicks to be the fastest of 'em all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Speed Star 1 + 2: pure movement
Speed Star 3: Slow + movement chips

Friend told me to not worry too much about Side Quests for now since there is a pretty good Chapter Select. Started going through the story and found out I'm about to get the A ending. Gonna wrap that up tonight after work and try to get B started before P5 drops. This game will probably get shelved until I hit a small burn out period or beat it. Fantastic game so far, though.

Also the
Emil
and
Popola & Devola
stuff made me lose my mind. References are next level in the game.

Arkeband

Banned
I beat Speed Star 3 by just using a charged level 3 Missile at the start and having max movespeed. Didn't need to cheat with stun or slow time, just made a beeline there by taking the left path after diving off the side of the building.

Gbraga

Friend told me to not worry too much about Side Quests for now since there is a pretty good Chapter Select. Started going through the story and found out I'm about to get the A ending. Gonna wrap that up tonight after work and try to get B started before P5 drops. This game will probably get shelved until I hit a small burn out period or beat it. Fantastic game so far, though.

Also the
Emil
and
Popola & Devola

It was maddening to see these two on the background and not be able to interact with them, hahaha.

Baalzebup

Friend told me to not worry too much about Side Quests for now since there is a pretty good Chapter Select.
I remain of the opinion that this is bad advice. Being an obsessive completionist is certainly unnecessary due to it being possible to mop up with the chapter select feature, but you'll miss out on a lot of world building and foreshadowing that builds up the structure of how the story of the game is presented and paced and can straight out miss certain emotional callbacks and build-ups that crop up later in the story.

Finished Route B. Almost a complete waste of time IMO, kinda soured me on the whole game. What I've played of C has been very good though, but I am still annoyed I had to suffer through that.

Astral

Also the
Emil
and
Popola & Devola

I'd say don't worry about side quests until you get fast travel. It'll make them more bareable.

I remain of the opinion that this is bad advice. Being an obsessive completionist is certainly unnecessary due to being able to mop up with the chapter select feature, but you'll miss out on a lot of world building and foreshadowing that builds up the structure of how the story of the game is presented and paced and can straight out miss certain emotional callbacks and build-ups that crop up later in the story.

In my opinion you should skip ALL sidequests. Seriously.

On my first runthrough, I did ALL sidequests asap, which resulted in me being totally overleveled for wanting to beat Papa Servo, I was level 55, where I should actually be around 15. I ruined the entire main story for me.

Which is why I gave up my save and did it all over again.

Astral

On my first runthrough, I did ALL sidequests asap, which resulted in me being totally overleveled for wanting to beat Papa Servo, I was level 55, where I should actually be around 15. I ruined the entire main story for me.

How'd you get so overleveled? I did every sidequest except the last two Servo ones and the parade on my first run through Route A and I was the same level as the enemies the whole game.

Baalzebup

I'd rather be way overleveled and nerf the numbers by wielding sub-bar weapons like the cypress stick than miss out on all the good stuff loaded into the narrative of the quests, be it the serious stuff or the jokes. Plus later Servo quests and a few others are a clear outlier as the enemy levels themselves make it pretty clear you are supposed to do them later. You don't get to lv. 55 during route A without significant grinding.

Top Bottom