• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Bowlie

Banned
Gonna just bring people the feels real quick...

skXAqXG.png

<3

Golnei

I finally got the chance to start playing this today - it certainly feels like Nier, much moreso than I expected. Even the environments feel so much like the first - not just in art direction, but also in technical ineptitude. Still, I wasn't feeling particularly impressed by it to begin with, despite generally liking the experience (the level of automation on the weapon strings did take some getting used to, however - I'm still not sure if it was a good decision to streamline them quite so much; the inability to perform a charged spear attack without the preceding slash stands out as a particularly annoying example), until the first
Adam
boss fight. It's probably been covered thousands of times in here already, but the immediate leadup to that scene was amazing; being the first sequence which really convinced me that the game had the capability to deliver on some of the more memorable aspects of its predecessor.

Speaking of which - without spoiling anything specific, is there ever an in-universe reason given for why Adam has
no genitals
and
a flat ass
?

Also, was anyone else disappointed that there wasn't any unique dialogue for talking to the masked Resistance androids while wearing the Machine Mask?

Philippo

Finally got Ending E and Platinum Trophy today.

There's... very little to say actually, other than this being the best game i've played outside of the classics of my childhood.
That last part, even if i knew very well what was about to happen, it hit me like a truck. It was perfection, both from a thematic but also visual standpoint. It compressed all my emotions and energies spent on loving and studying this game's story in a 10 minutes segment of me bawling like a baby when,
after having given your all to fight against all odds, you keep seeing incouraging messages and then offered help from strangers because yes, we can do this together
. It was just so powerful.
These characters, their struggles and their suffering, i will never forget them.
Of course i did the right choice at the end.

Gonna just bring people the feels real quick...

skXAqXG.png

So happy he finally had a truly successful game. While Drakengard might be a different story (haven't played them yet), I was surprised how how serviceable the first NIER was gameplay wise. Not a perfect game, but not as bad as everyone made it out to be either. Glad he was finally able to team up with a really excellent studio and get the recognition he truly deserves.

I just finished this. Got
all of the five regular endings

It's been so long since a game made me emotional. Taro really knows how to bring a message.

LOVED IT.

KHlover

Banned
So, I have a pc with a 980 and a ps4pro both hooked up to the same 4K tv. Which version of the game do I get, gaf?

I have a GTX 980, i7-4790k @4.5 GHz and 8GB RAM. All settings high (AA off since AO setting gives you all the AA you need) at 1440p I get mostly locked 60fps with the FAR mod installed. Dunno what kind of resolution and framerate the PS4 Pro pushes.

OT:
Just defeated a big Lv. 50 machine at Lv. 28. Damn did that take long. Gues I'll wait a few Lv-Ups before tackling
Lv. 50 Robot-sensei
lol.

Is there any way to remap the quickmenu? I want to put temporary buffs there and not have to scroll through menus that take so long it makes them pointless.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just finished the game, with ending A ...

A lot of questions.Can I get back to 2B?

What is this game? Is there a story?
Yes.
Why am I playing as S9 all of a sudden?
You're seeing more story.

Can I get back to 2B?
Kind of sort of.

Do I have to do all the sidequests again? I progressed pretty far into a lot of them.
No, all upgrades, items, sidequest completion (note completion counts for entire chains, not individual steps), carry over in between routes.

What should I do now? I'm just sitting here like a big question-mark.
Play it again, and keep an eye out for the differences.

Just finished the game, with ending A ...

A lot of questions.

What should I do now? I'm just sitting here like a big question-mark.

Good. Keep playing.

And you won't need to redo any quests you fully completed, but aside from a few exceptions (like
Father Servo
and
Half-Witted Inventor
), any quest that was only partially done will need to be redone from the start.

AHA-Lambda

Crossposting my thoughts from the steam thread, I'm prepared for some to disagree with me =/
That said, I haven't finished it yet but I'm very near the end

Nearing the end of Nier Automata now, and I want to put my thoughts down, as I've found this a strange game in some ways.

I've really enjoyed it so far, probably my favourite game of the year so far(?), but I think given the hype/reception it's had I wanted to like it more?

That said I've enjoyed the combat, and especially the sheer style and creativity of the game; the game has had some amazing moments.
But it feels like the game has a number of, at least imo, noteworthy flaws that aren't getting that much mention from what I've seen or read anyway.

Namely:
-The fast travel, should've been unlocked much earlier, but at least it is a fixable gripe
-Similarly, the map is pretty darn bad, and needs some more helpful signposting, but again you can get used to it
-The story has been surprisingly slow, in many ways. It's had some genuinely impactful moments (see my above post!), and the characters are likable, but the story is more character driven than plot driven I have found, that's fine but just not what I expected; but I find myself nearing the end of the game now with still many unanswered questions that I hope do get resolved (fwiw, I haven't played Nier 1). Oh, and Route B feels really rather pointless, bringing me to...
-The biggest gripe I have though is that this game feels really padded. The side quests have been largely a chore, most being largely fetch quest-like. I've found myself having the staring at icons on the mini-map "tunnel vision" reminiscent of Ubisoft games as i quickly go from place to place speaking to NPCs and picking up items, clearing out enemies.

I'm over 30 hours in now, near the end of Route C with 2/3rds of side quests complete, and I feel very much ready to put this to bed now.
The idea of finishing the remaining side quests or grinding for the requirements towards the final hidden ending does not instill me with any joy. But I know I may very well do it cos OCD/completionist syndrome =/

Just wanted to say my bit I guess, the game feels like a solid 8/10 for me that's being held back from being more.

Haly

I think most of the side quests are valuable for building on the world of Nier:A, so even if they're simplistic, I prefer them to more engaging side quests that ultimately brings very little to the overall picture.

I think most of the side quests are valuable for building on the world of Nier:A, so even if they're simplistic, I don't find them as problematic as a more engaging side quests that ultimately brings very little to the overall picture.

Agreed. The story rewards you get from them is more than worth the time and effort. If there's any issues it's the the game world could have had a few more areas so it isn't reusing locals for radically unrelated story beats.

Crossposting my thoughts from the steam thread, I'm prepared for some to disagree with me =/
That said, I haven't finished it yet but I'm very near the end

I absolutely love that you can talk to the guy in resistance camp about things you don't like about the game, and the bad map is one of the options, and he's like "yeah, satellites, but also, deal with it"

Haly

As "yet another open world game" Nier:A fails in a lot of ways re: gameplay, quests, choices, exploration, graphics blah blah. But I think your enjoyment of Nier:A really scales with how much you're invested into the world of Nier:A, because you see all the stuff come together in the end in a way a lot of other "meatier" games don't.

It's like having a large porterhouse steak with a side of fries and mashed potatos, versus having a small expensive omakase. I'm fully supportive of people who prefer the former but my taste lies in the latter and it does have its own virtues.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Quite frankly I don't think Nier Automata really needed to be open world. I don't think it really justifies its open world all that well and a lot of times just feels like its there. I haven't played through every single ending or anything but after being it once and working my way through a second time it could have easily been a game a more a straight up linear style game or at least one with a hub area that like the Bunker or Resistance Camp and each of the major story missions being its own area, most of which already are self contained levels anyways.

Quite frankly I don't think Nier Automata really needed to be open world. I don't think it really justifies its open world all that well and a lot of times just feels like its there. I haven't played through every single ending or anything but after being it once and working my way through a second time it could have easily been a game a more a straight up linear style game or at least one with a hub area that like the Bunker or Resistance Camp and each of the major story missions being its own area, most of which already are self contained levels anyways.

Honestly the zen of traversing the open world and taking on packs of enemies was my favorite thing about the game in terms of the gameplay. The world is great, traversal is fun and it gives you a real sense of immersion and the desolation of the world. I think the game would be immensely less appealing with a level select or a more straightforward world.

gngf123

I think the structure is fine for the most part as long as sidequests are left to after fast travel opens up. They could've made fast travel available earlier but I can handle it.

Also, I'm starting to like route B a little more now.
Using a powerful spear and hacking power ups actually makes 9S kind of fun.

Just over half way through the route I think. Decided to take a bit of a detour to do the Father Servo sidequest. Finished it at level 35, think I was just a tad under levelled aha.

LotusHD

Banned
I think most of the side quests are valuable for building on the world of Nier:A, so even if they're simplistic, I prefer them to more engaging side quests that ultimately brings very little to the overall picture.

This is why I genuinely put them up there with Witcher 3's sidequests. There are several NPCs you just don't forget, some either foreshadow things or get you more attached to the characters, fits the whole theme of the game, etc. But that's just me. I'll "suffer" through any sidequest if I'm enjoying the story, humor, or character behind them.

There is no way to know for sure, but I feel like it being completely linear might mean we wouldn't get things like Father Servo or the Stamp Quest, and I don't wanna live in that timeline...

Honestly the zen of traversing the open world and taking on packs of enemies was my favorite thing about the game in terms of the gameplay. The world is great, traversal is fun and it gives you a real sense of immersion and the desolation of the world. I think the game would be immensely less appealing with a level select or a more straightforward world.
I agree. I loved traversing this world. Stringing jumps, double jumps, dashes, pod floating, spins and pod throws was great fun. I kind of wished there was a wall run or jump but overall, it was awesome and the music helped too

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I was like that at first but after 10 hours of running through what is mostly a static world where the biggest points of interaction being clumps of enemies here or there, fishing areas and the occasional hidden item... well it felt all a little needless in the scheme of things. It just felt like it spread things out farther and forced a lot more running around from point to point, especially since fast travel isn't unlocked right away.

Gbraga

So, I finally opened one of the chests I kept wondering what had inside during route A.

Traffic Viollation Notice - License Custody Certificate (Number: Mai A 4321)

Date and Time of Notification: July 21 (PM),2013

Affliation, Rank and Name of Notifier: Maihama Police Station, Police Constable Kenichi Sato

Issued to: Yosuke Saito

Violation Details: Exceeding the speed limit by 30km to 35km

God bless you, Yoko Taro.

This is why I genuinely put them up there with Witcher 3's sidequests. There are several NPCs you just don't forget, some either foreshadow things or get you more attached to the characters, fits the whole theme of the game, etc. But that's just me. I'll "suffer" through any sidequest if I'm enjoying the story, humor, or character behind them.

There is no way to know for sure, but I feel like it being completely linear might mean we wouldn't get things like Father Servo or the Stamp Quest, and I don't wanna live in that timeline...

Just the fact that it's Nier structure to me is more than enough to justify it. I don't even know why they called it open world in the first place. Can you imagine the fan reaction if they announced "unlike the first Nier, this one will be a more linear experience"? People would flip out, expecting a linear Platinum game instead of Nier 2.

LotusHD

Banned
So, I finally opened one of the chests I kept wondering what had inside during route A.

Traffic Viollation Notice - License Custody Certificate (Number: Mai A 4321)

Date and Time of Notification: July 21 (PM),2013

Affliation, Rank and Name of Notifier: Maihama Police Station, Police Constable Kenichi Sato

Issued to: Yosuke Saito

Violation Details: Exceeding the speed limit by 30km to 35km

God bless you, Yoko Taro.

Lmao

bubumiao

If you're really willing to go through with this idea, get a guide for Drakengard 1. Or else you won't see everything relevant story wise.

Don't play Drakengard 2. It's mostly considered a spin-off since it wasn't directed by Taro.

Nier and Drakengard 3 you can go blind and without guide. Those are really easy to get everything needed.

And, if you do go through this, keep us updated with LTTP threads as you play them. It will be fun.

Started to play Drakengard, and though it was kind of fun, I don't see myself playing through to the end. The camera was driving me nuts.

So I watched Clemps' videos on YouTube (just Drakengard 1~3).

I didn't watch his video on NieR because I plan to play through it myself. How many endings does it have?

I had no idea the story of Drakengard/NieR was so batshit crazy, but it's really sucked me in. I'm looking forward to NieR as well as Automata.

20 hrs in. Still on route A.

Just realized you can hold down the pod program button for stronger variants....

Anything else completely obvious that I should know but might not?

E: oh shit is that because
i collected all three pods
?

DevilDog

So, planning on getting this very soon.

What buttons does this game hit for each one of you? Is the game overwhelming you in feelings you can't find the right words for?

Also the combat, how is it, less/more replayable than MGRR?

Ferrio

Banned
20 hrs in. Still on route A.

Just realized you can hold down the pod program button for stronger variants....

Anything else completely obvious that I should know but might not?

Things I've missed or notice people miss:

Jump + shoot the pod will throw you, good for going over gaps.

Jump then quickly heavy attack will do a launcher. Good for juggles and traversing the environment since you go higher with launcher -> double jump than jump -> double jump.

You can switch pod programs during the shooting sections.

edit: And yes it charges the more pods you have.

What buttons does this game hit for each one of you? Is the game overwhelming you in feelings you can't find the right words for?

The game is an emotional rollercoaster. Combat isn't as good as MGR, but for an jRPG is pretty damn good.

Things I've missed or notice people miss:

Jump + shoot the pod will throw you, good for going over gaps.

Jump then quickly heavy attack will do a launcher. Good for juggles and traversing the environment since you go higher with launcher -> double jump than jump -> double jump.

You can switch pod programs during the shooting sections.

edit: And yes it charges the more pods you have.

The game is an emotional rollercoaster. Combat isn't as good as MGR, but for an jRPG is pretty damn good.

Yup, had no idea bout that first one. Thanks!

What are the bonuses and stuff you get from recovering other players bodies?
Like Evade Range Up and stuff?

Like I don't see anything in the menu detailing any stats like that.

And did it say I lose my plug in chips if I die and don't recover my body? Aren't they quite expensive?

Ruff

What are the bonuses and stuff you get from recovering other players bodies?
Like Evade Range Up and stuff?

Like I don't see anything in the menu detailing any stats like that.

And did it say I lose my plug in chips if I die and don't recover my body? Aren't they quite expensive?

They just temp give you the stats the chips of the same name would give. example: Evade range up +3 would be like 60% further evade distance (Don't quote me on that exact amount). Yes you lose your chips if you don't recover and yes it can get costly if you have good ones in. Luckily saving and reloading sorta bypasses that.

NieR Automata is far more than the sum of it's parts. That said the parts are all very good. The combat isn't as good as, say, bayonetta. The world isn't as vast as other open world games. But when you combine the world, combat side quests, with the story telling and story intefrity you end up with this intensely moving game. It manages to hit every note for me in a video game and connect them all amazingly well.

Also NieR Otto's Tomato is an open world game. It just isn't a sandbox game.

gngf123

So many side quests and so far away. Does it take long to unlock fast travel?

If you are at the point of getting flooded with sidequests, fast travel should be a couple of hours away max. Go through the story and leave the rest for a bit and you'll get there in no time.

Top Bottom