• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Oh my god. I am almost done with the game... and now Nier won't recognize my save file on PC. Has anyone gone through this? I see the actual save itself in my files, but it won't recognize it in game. I get the normal start up screen without Continue on it.

Oh man. Anyone?

Woooooooooooooooooow

That music for
Copied City

We are talking classic final fantasy tier of soundtrack in this game. Continues to amaze.

Woooooooooooooooooow

That music for
Copied City

We are talking classic final fantasy tier of soundtrack in this game. Continues to amaze.
No hyperbole, I literally think the two NieR games are the greatest game soundtracks ever made. There are few games where the soundtrack manages to complement and improve the quality of the game to this degree.

LotusHD

Banned
No hyperbole, I literally think the two NieR games are the greatest game soundtracks ever made. There are few games where the soundtrack manages to complement and improve the quality of the game to this degree.

This x1000000000000

I gotta find the cash to buy the OST at some point.

burgerdog

Nope, and you really should mainline until you unlock fast travel.

If you are at the point of getting flooded with sidequests, fast travel should be a couple of hours away max. Go through the story and leave the rest for a bit and you'll get there in no time.

Good deal, I definitely do not mind doing more of the main quest so that's a plus. I'll have to put the side quests on hold for now. Loving the heck out of this so far!

EdmondD

For the longest time it was Silent Hill for me. Akira Yamaoka is a god. I think with the brilliance of the Automata soundtrack that Nier has now taken that crown. Btw I really dig your avatar.

Gbraga

Holy shit, I just got to the
E3 fight
in Route B.

Damn.

This game is incredible. Not only for the obvious references and important subjects it touches upon, but even on very basic terms how it offered an amazing narrative payoff to something it build up during sidequests.

It's amazing. Incredibly tasteful, too. The kind of social commentary that makes people think, rather than hammer the point over and over again, and very loudly, that only serves as intellectual masturbation for people who already agree with it.

By creating this beautiful narrative to go with the themes and commentary the game makes on society and humanity in general, it'll naturally put people in a more empathetic position, even if some of the direct references go over their heads.

You don't need to get who this character is alluding to, or completely understand the philosophical line of thinking, in order to feel for them and just realize how much fabricated bullshit such standards are.

MEANINGLESS.

It's interesting because, as I get older, and more and more familiar with these kinds of subject, I tend to get driven off of things when their selling point is repeating the same things I've spent countless hours reading and discussing already. It feels like the narrative holds less value when it's all just a cheap allegory to say the same thing. But the fact that this game (this series, I suppose) first draws you into its world and story, selling you on the fiction completely before getting into these topics just makes it a joy. I haven't felt excited for fiction touching these themes in a considerable amount of time.

It's pretty crazy now that I think about it, in the same thread I can go back and forth discussing what it means to be human and the origins of the goddamn Cult of the Watchers. Yoko Taro is a treasure.

EDIT: I don't actually think there's a spoiler here, but tagging just in case.

Timeaisis

What the hell is up with this game on PC? Just bought it and the FPS is abyssmal. Like 10 in the intro cutscene and 15 fps on the menu. It's chugging. What the hell? My PC is fine, I can run most stuff on high.

Anyone know a fix?

Gbraga

What the hell is up with this game on PC? Just bought it and the FPS is abyssmal. Like 10 in the intro cutscene and 15 fps on the menu. It's chugging. What the hell? My PC is fine, I can run most stuff on high.

Anyone know a fix?

Try rebooting your PC if you just downloaded it. For whatever reason, the game started to run better for me after a reboot. It was too late though, I bought a new graphics card for it, thinking my old one just couldn't handle it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gngf123

Anyone know a fix?

Turn AA off, it's MSAA. You still get good AA with just AO turned on

Then if you want, install FAR and play around with the GI setting.

10fps in cutscenes is either bizarre, or what you are seeing is the stutter. FAR also fixes this.

Menus... Yeah that's weird. Haven't heard of that before.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Holy shit, I just got to the
E3 fight
in Route B.

Damn.

This game is incredible. Not only for the obvious references and important subjects it touches upon, but even on very basic terms how it offered an amazing narrative payoff to something it build up during sidequests.

It's amazing. Incredibly tasteful, too. The kind of social commentary that makes people think, rather than hammer the point over and over again, and very loudly, that only serves as intellectual masturbation for people who already agree with it.

By creating this beautiful narrative to go with the themes and commentary the game makes on society and humanity in general, it'll naturally put people in a more empathetic position, even if some of the direct references go over their heads.

You don't need to get who this character is alluding to, or completely understand the philosophical line of thinking, in order to feel for them and just realize how much fabricated bullshit such standards are.

MEANINGLESS.

It's interesting because, as I get older, and more and more familiar with these kinds of subject, I tend to get driven off of things when their selling point is repeating the same things I've spent countless hours reading and discussing already. It feels like the narrative holds less value when it's all just a cheap allegory to say the same thing. But the fact that this game (this series, I suppose) first draws you into its world and story, selling you on the fiction completely before getting into these topics just makes it a joy. I haven't felt excited for fiction touching these themes in a considerable amount of time.

It's pretty crazy now that I think about it, in the same thread I can go back and forth discussing what it means to be human and the origins of the goddamn Cult of the Watchers. Yoko Taro is a treasure.

EDIT: I don't actually think there's a spoiler here, but tagging just in case.

Wait, are you talking about the
Opera singer?

For the longest time it was Silent Hill for me. Akira Yamaoka is a god. I think with the brilliance of the Automata soundtrack that Nier has now taken that crown. Btw I really dig your avatar.
Ty. After beating Otto's Tomato I've been feeling in a NieR Drakengard mood. I was browsing the Nier / Drakengard wikis and I thought this image of Manah is really evocative I think.

Another really amazing factor to the Automata OST is how modular most of the songs are. They're set up in a way to really capture the mood of the areas. And not just when you combat. Just for example minor early location spoilers, the
Amusement Park has this solo xylophone when you're on the outskirts of the park and in the alley ways. It builds up more and more in the main areas of the park while still keeping the carnival feel, but with Emi Evan's amazing voice providing that grand sweeping ethereal beauty. And it comes to a soaring climax on the roller coaster ride.
Godly soundtrack.

Classic Final Fantasy doesn't even touch Nier's soundtrack, and I'm a a fan of Uematsu.
I still put FFXI and FFVII as some of the best soundtracks ever. Nier Automata's is absolutely incredible and possibly even better. I havent decided on that yet. However what I'm sure of is that its used so much better. I've never played a game that mixes its music in with adventure so well, let alone how amazing it is in major scenes.

Timeaisis

Turn AA off, it's MSAA. You still get good AA with just AO turned on

Then if you want, install FAR and play around with the GI setting.

10fps in cutscenes is either bizarre, or what you are seeing is the stutter. FAR also fixes this.

Thank you very much. FAR worked seems like.

LotusHD

Banned
I still put FFXI and FFVII as some of the best soundtracks ever. Nier Automata's is absolutely incredible and possibly even better. I havent decided on that yet. However what I'm sure of is that its used so much better. I've never played a game that mixes its music in with adventure so well, let alone how amazing it is in major scenes.

That's part of why I can comfortably put it above virtually everything else. Because of course, a bunch of games have amazing music. But this is the first time I've seen it utilized so perfectly in a game, to the point where I can't not include that as to why I love the OST so damn much.

Gbraga

42 hours, still on Route B. I honestly have no idea why I take so long with games. I'm not even doing my usual bullshit slow walk, because movement is too fun in this game.

Oh, by the way, I just caught a
golden machine head
. Is it B-exclusive or did I just miss it for some reason? I definitely spent some time fishing at that spot during Route A.

That's part of why I can comfortably put it above virtually everything else. Because of course, a bunch of games have amazing music. But this is the first time I've seen it utilized so perfectly in a game, to the point where I can't not include that as to why I love the OST so damn much.

Yeah, I agree. It's very common to see people judging soundtracks solely on the individual songs' quality. But that's not how you should do it, imo. It's a soundtrack, not just Okabe's latest album. How it's implemented in the game is fundamental to how good it is. I'd say that how well it fits the game is pretty much the only question that matters. I don't have to listen to it nonstop when I'm not playing for it to be good. Though I'd argue that most of the great ones will make you want to, even if they're not your kind of music, just because of the memories and feelings they bring.

Exentryk

42 hours, still on Route B. I honestly have no idea why I take so long with games.

I'm around 90 hours and still finishing off stuff. So, you're not alone in terms of taking it slow and enjoying the immersion.

vvYi7KY.png

Gbraga

I'm around 90 hours and still finishing off stuff. So, you're not alone in terms of taking it slow and enjoying the immersion.

I hate it, not even bragging. If I wasn't that slow, I probably would be starting Persona 5 today, hahaha. I'm lucky if I can start it this week. I hope I'll be able to.

spiritfox

The way the game blends the music with the events and dialogue of the game, and how it remixes itself according to what you're doing and where you are, it's so good. The way the music is used is something that really takes advantage of the medium it's in, and something I wish I see more in games. No other game I've played has music be so integral to the experience, like it's part of the world itself.

Exentryk

I hate it, not even bragging. If I wasn't that slow, I probably would be starting Persona 5 today, hahaha. I'm lucky if I can start it this week. I hope I'll be able to.

I'll probably start P5 next month just coz this month is REALLY busy for me. No issue though, because 'starting games day 1' isn't a big deal to me; fully enjoying what I'm currently playing is more important.

Gbraga

I'll probably start P5 next month just coz this month is REALLY busy for me. No issue though, because 'starting games day 1' isn't a big deal to me; fully enjoying what I'm currently playing is more important.

Completely agree. I'm just worried about spoilers for P5. And I'm not even that sensitive to it. It's just that I've been waiting for so long, and for whatever reason ended up not even watching the trailers, so it would be shitty if it happened.

Welp, my time has come to an end. Nier has trashed my save, and it won't recognize any saves that people have sent me. I was like two hours away from the end too. This is really, really disappointing.

killatopak

Gold Member
HOLY SHIT.

I was watching some NieR vids like I always do and I came upon a certain video about 2B and 9S. The comment section is mind blowing as well as the vids. There's a lot of hidden things that I didn't know like

A2's personality is based on a girl that lived with her grandmother. Aka kaine. There's also details about how 9S knew about the E-types before and even tried to attack 2B right after meeting her due to his instinct but was killed instead. Also there's a certain chance of triggering a dialogue after choosing to stay in ending D where 9S looks up in the sky and says "2B, so that's where you are" as well as some backstory to commander and jackass' relationship.

Here's the vid: https://youtu.be/_rxEiL1RC7k

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welp, my time has come to an end. Nier has trashed my save, and it won't recognize any saves that people have sent me. I was like two hours away from the end too. This is really, really disappointing.

Oh wow, that really sucks. Any luck with steam cloud?

Okapi

Neo Member
Could somebody please tell me if it's possible to redo
the tutorial section at the bunker via chapter select
? I'm talking about the part where
9S let you adjust your brightness, voice settings etc.

I'm asking because I'm at the start of
Route B and I just realized I messed up this part and didn't know there was extra dialogue in it.

Thanks!

Ruff

Are you on PC/STEAM? Using other people's saves will not usually work on their system but a person on reddit made a file that allows you to import other people's data

killatopak

Gold Member

Route B and I just realized I messed up this part and didn't know there was extra dialogue in it.

Thanks!

I think you can.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Thanks!
Sort of, you'll see it again after Route E and you can go through all the dialogue options there.

Top Bottom