• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What Hard should've been:

1) Enemy levels scale
2) Targeting

Gbraga

I wish the game had a mode that did away with levels entirely, or at least automatically leveled you/adjusted your stats based on the encouter.
Because the balancing really is my only problem with the game.

That would be amazing.

Automata difficulty.

Do it, Taura.

What Hard should've been:

1) Enemy levels scale
2) Targeting

What's the beef with Hard? Is it not hard enough?

I played through A on normal and it was pretty much a breeze so I was planning to play B on through the end on Hard. Is that still not hard enough?

Haly

What's the beef with Hard? Is it not hard enough?

I played through A on normal and it was pretty much a breeze so I was planning to play B on through the end on Hard. Is that still not hard enough?

The damage level is okay but the problem is you eventually out level all the enemies unless you're only doing the minimum amount of exp grinding so even if they do tons of extra damage it won't penetrate your level 80 defenses.

The damage level is okay but the problem is you eventually out level all the enemies unless you're only doing the minimum amount of exp grinding so even if they do tons of extra damage it won't penetrate your level 80 defenses.

Efffff. That's why I felt like normal was too easy. i wasn't necessarily griding per se, but I did as much side content as i could find, and even took on some of the harder enemies 15-20 levels below them, so i feel like I might be overleveled for B already anyway.

is there a setting above Hard?

Some minor spoiler about some of the locals but there were some areas of this game that I feel were really underutilized.
The Forest, the Forest King's Castle, and the Flooded City. I feel like we could have spent a lot more time traversing the forest. It's a beautiful zone and the lush forest is a great change of pace from the ruined urban areas and the desert. They could have made a huge sprawling forest that you could just get lost in and I would have loved it.

I find myself disappointed by the
Forest King's Castle
. The lead up to it is great and it's so impressive looking that I found myself really disappointed when I realized the whole thing was a 2D segment. I would have greatly preferred exploring it as a traditional 3D map.

I love the idea of the
Flooded City
but it's so short. It's basically a tiny little nook. You could have a map the size of the
Amusement Park
all about platforming on the tops of skyscrapers and dashing into skyscrapers that have flooded and running along the sides of buildings that have toppled over and jumping onto various aquatic vessels.

I guess this still wraps up into my main point that despite having put 50 hours into this game all I want is more.

Just finished the game with ending E with the Platinum Trophy, ugh, no game like this left me with wanting more in quite some time. Like this is a one of the few games that I devoted my free time to the most and now it's done, I'm just like:

nmatnEd.gif

It left a void in the feels

This game is definitely my GOTY, maybe even GOTG.

Well looks like it's time to move on to Persona 5.

Haly

Efffff. That's why I felt like normal was too easy. i wasn't necessarily griding per se, but I did as much side content as i could find, and even took on some of the harder enemies 15-20 levels below them, so i feel like I might be overleveled for B already anyway.

is there a setting above Hard?

Yes but it's 1hp and that's hard in a way most people don't enjoy.

Ferrio

Banned
I think the game's difficulty settings are at odds with the health system. It's way too easy to heal in the game, so unless you're getting 1 shot it's incredibly hard to die. So of course hard mode puts a ton of one hit kills in it to actually make it challenging, but it feels cheap.

I wish they would have put a cooldown on healing items, or did something that you couldn't just instantly heal soon as you get hit.

george_us

Just finished the game with ending E with the Platinum Trophy, ugh, no game like this left me with wanting more in quite some time. Like this is a one of the few games that I devoted my free time to the most and now it's done, I'm just like:

nmatnEd.gif

Very good choice. I know what you mean about that void though. Once I finished Ending E I was like, "Well shit...now what?"

Yes but it's 1hp and that's hard in a way most people don't enjoy.

Yeah, that makes sense. especially with the dark souls-esque run back to get your shit mechanic, dying is kind of a pain at times.

I think the game's difficulty settings are at odds with the health system. It's way too easy to heal in the game, so unless you're getting 1 shot it's incredibly hard to die. So of course hard mode puts a ton of one hit kills in it to actually make it challenging, but it feels cheap.

I wish they would have put a cooldown on healing items, or did something that you couldn't just instantly heal soon as you get hit.

I think this is spot on. I heal ~25% of health anytime something dies, so I'm virtually always at max health.

LotusHD

Banned

nmatnEd.gif

This is me...

P5 is pretty cool so far though

JCG

Some minor spoiler about some of the locals but there were some areas of this game that I feel were really underutilized.
The Forest, the Forest King's Castle, and the Flooded City. I feel like we could have spent a lot more time traversing the forest. It's a beautiful zone and the lush forest is a great change of pace from the ruined urban areas and the desert. They could have made a huge sprawling forest that you could just get lost in and I would have loved it.

I find myself disappointed by the
Forest King's Castle
. The lead up to it is great and it's so impressive looking that I found myself really disappointed when I realized the whole thing was a 2D segment. I would have greatly preferred exploring it as a traditional 3D map.

I love the idea of the
Flooded City
but it's so short. It's basically a tiny little nook. You could have a map the size of the
Amusement Park
all about platforming on the tops of skyscrapers and dashing into skyscrapers that have flooded and running along the sides of buildings that have toppled over and jumping onto various aquatic vessels.

I guess this still wraps up into my main point that despite having put 50 hours into this game all I want is more.

It's the result of the game basically being "open world on a budget" but, like most people in these forum threads, I think the whole is still more than the sum of its parts.

It's the result of the game basically being "open world on a budget" but, like most people in these forum threads, I think the whole is still more than the sum of its parts.

Yeah. I'm not faulting the game too much over these. They're more "If we ever see a director's cut or something these are parts of the game I would love to see expanded upon. " kind of thing.

Sami+

He has a quest chain. Have to talk to him a few times at his store, then look at a Lunar Tear to start it I believe.

where the heckeroni is that my guy

also can I do it in Route C because I'll be really sad if I missed out

edit
the store I mean, I found a Lunar Tear in the Amusement Park and was like "o hey neat" but it didn't do anything

Haly

where the heckeroni is that my guy

also can I do it in Route C because I'll be really sad if I missed out

edit
the store I mean, I found a Lunar Tear in the Amusement Park and was like "o hey neat" but it didn't do anything
I think you need to stop him while he's near the Desert camp.
He'll give you the line about Lunar Tears. Then you can trigger the quest at the commercial facility. I haven't activated this questline yet though but this is what I read on the Wiki.

Voliko

It's awful. They should have taken another note from Dark Souls and did an Estus type of system. You wouldn't be able to heal with 0 risk and you wouldn't have a million health items to burn through.

Or they should have done it Ys Origin/Oath style. No health items, and experience points gained are highly dependent on your level. So if you are even slightly over leveled you only get 1 exp per enemy killed that's close to your level. Health regenerates at save points and if you stand still.

The health system and game balance is definitely my biggest gripe with the game, it's what is holding it back from perfection.

Yeah, all the satisfying challenge I've gotten from this game after a while was from self imposed restrictions like no auto-heal or auto-item. On route C I've found going
berserk mode
great until the level gap makes it pointless again. Do you guys think a mod to tweak this stuff is likely to happen? Or does Square-Enix need to remove Denuvo or something?

Also while we're throwing around solutions I liked how FFXIII's XP cap per chapter made overleveling impossible and kept difficulty tightly controlled. The
chapter select feature
proves the game already has granular divisions of game sections to work with to boot.

Golnei

Health regenerates at save points but and if you stand still.

The health system and game balance is definitely my biggest gripe with the game, it's what is holding it back from perfection.

They could have just left it up to the player to regulate their healing with plug-in chips - there's already options for regenerating health and healing by either doing damage or killing enemies. Removing the recovery items entirely and pointing the player towards those earlier on might be a more balanced solution.

Geg

Question about some late Route C stuff:

9S just freaked out after receiving a document learning that project Yorha was planned to be disposed of from the start or something like that, but the contents of the document are near identical to one he'd read earlier, but in that one he only focused on how it said that android black boxes are made from the same thing as machine cores. Is this like a bug or something that caused that to accidentally be in a different, earlier archive file or is there some weird explanation for this later?

Ferrio

Banned

9S just freaked out after receiving a document learning that project Yorha was planned to be disposed of from the start or something like that, but the contents of the document are near identical to one he'd read earlier, but in that one he only focused on how it said that android black boxes are made from the same thing as machine cores. Is this like a bug or something that caused that to accidentally be in a different, earlier archive file or is there some weird explanation for this later?

They're not the same file but ya they kinda say the same thing. The second one spells it out more clearly and that's when 9S reacts to it. I assume his response is to cue anyone who didn't understand what was going on from the first document

Bowlie

Banned

Continuity mistake, lots of others noticed that :/

9S should really have been surprised by the first document he got.

Ruff

I believe so. Seems like a localization issue as both texts are almost exactly the same but reworded.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I have two random questions for my route B run:

1. So I didn't kill
Adam and Eve in the Mother Ship as I wanted to hear what his speech was when it suddenly ended with a cut scene. Is that important at all?

2. There is a side mission that appears to be in
the area above where you fought the opera singer machine in the amusement park but I'm not sure how to get up there. Can you jump off the roller coaster again?

Finaj

Played a few hours of the game so far. I've gotten to the
amusement park.

So... I have some questions. Does it just get weirder?

Whales

Banned
just finished route C

jeez man, I want to keep playing so badly but I have finals soon...

Cant believe this is the first time I play a Yoko Taro game... This dude is so good at what he does

Ferrio

Banned
So I have two random questions for my route B run:

1. So I didn't kill
Adam and Eve in the Mother Ship as I wanted to hear what his speech was when it suddenly ended with a cut scene. Is that important at all?

2. There is a side mission that appears to be in
the area above where you fought the opera singer machine in the amusement park but I'm not sure how to get up there. Can you jump off the roller coaster again?

1. Don't think anything additional was said outside of what was in Route A.

2. It's in the basement, go to the right of the staircases. There should be an elevator.

feel

I was totally in love through Route A, then route B made me love it even more, and now I'm in route C and it's just.. wow. This game.

Haven't experienced anything as engrossing in this way since the PS1/2 metal gear solids.

Whales

Banned
how do you get to ending D?

I
opened my save after finish c and saw that the game put me back to the start

I assume i need to chapter select the last chapter and choose 9S instead of A2?

HStallion

2. It's in the basement, go to the right of the staircases. There should be an elevator.

Ahh ok cool. Question with this quest now that I have it.
I got the game working and beat it a couple times looking for bugs. What exactly am I supposed to be looking for?

TrueHero

Just got to ending C, this game just shot straight to my top 5 games of all time, makes me feel sorry for the people who played until ending A then stopped :/

Timeaisis

Alright, so actually in the game proper after the prologue. Much better experience so far. However, the graphical fidelity and general jankiness (invisible walls, really?) are kind of off-putting. Feels like a mid-tier PS3 game, to be quite honest.

I'm still not seeing the hook everyone else is, but we shall see. Hopefully it keeps improving. Combat is fun, but I could really go for some more color. RPG systems seem interesting so far.

HStallion

Just finished the Wandering Couple side quest
That got dark pretty quickly and that was before I reformatted the guy

Top Bottom